• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

japtor

It would be cool if Apple (or anyone) could sell a bluetooth iBeacon for the car for more accurate geofencing and automatically turning on car modes for both the iPhone and Watch.

Seems like such a no-brainer. The iBeacon stuff as a whole still needs to be untapped.
Hell I think there's some method with the iPhone's motion processor to determine whether you're driving already, but I don't know if that requires location stuff to be on all the time. I use it with the Moves app and it (or whatever iOS routine it depends on) can figure out what's walking/running vs motorized transport.

tmdorsey

Yeah, for calories, they should stick to calories burned by activity, not motion. Driving in a car should not burn calories like you're running 60mph, if that's how it's working. If you haven't turned on an activity via first party or 3rd party app, forget the calorie burn counting. Lots of things to work out.

I refuse to believe this isn't accounted for already.

I refuse to believe this isn't accounted for already.

I hope so. The fastest human runs around 20mph, so anything over is clearly not exercise. Keep the heart rate monitoring, but give us more choices on what constitutes a calorie burn. I don't want walking around the house to count. I only care about what my calorie burn is during an exercise I am consciously logging.

Voidance

Yeah, for calories, they should stick to calories burned by activity, not motion. Driving in a car should not burn calories like you're running 60mph, if that's how it's working. If you haven't turned on an activity via first party or 3rd party app, forget the calorie burn counting. Lots of things to work out.
I hope they configure the "Stand" reminders to be disabled while driving. Usually, my commutes are shorter than an hour, but yesterday I drove a while and was reminded several times to stand up for a little bit. Not possible, lol.

I hope they configure the "Stand" reminders to be disabled while driving. Usually, my commutes are shorter than an hour, but yesterday I drove a while and was reminded several times to stand up for a little bit. Not possible, lol.

I really had to turn off the stand notification. Since getting the watch, I'm always standing up to the small goal. I guess it may not apply to me.

But yeah, the watch needs to be more aware of what's going on. It needs to have more context. I mean, a possible solution is when the phone connects to the bluetooth of a specific device (your car), it knows that you are driving. Most new cars have bluetooth, so that's a possible solution for turning off this sort of stuff. They'd give us a menu item to answer which bluetooth device is connected. Or they would just figure out the name of the bluetooth device for every car manufacturer and just build that in.

Sean

Banned
I love my watch for tracking health stuff but has anyone else noticed that it tracks when you drive? Has this been discussed at all?

There needs to be some kind of a glance added that puts it in car mode so it won't track bullshit calories. Even when it's off my fucking wrist in the center console it's tracking me as burning calories. It shouldn't be tracking anything at all when its not strapped to my wrist.

How many bullshit calories are we talking about here? I notice when I'm sitting at the desk mostly stationary it'll say I burned 1 calorie every like ~5-10 minutes, but that's really insignificant imo.

I pay very close attention to the calorie count throughout the day (I have it as a complication on the modular watchface) and it's never noticeably increased while driving for me.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
How many bullshit calories are we talking about here? I notice when I'm sitting at the desk mostly stationary it'll say I burned 1 calorie every like ~5-10 minutes, but that's really insignificant imo.

You actually burn about 1 calorie a minute while sitting at a desk.

Sean

Banned
You actually burn about 1 calorie a minute while sitting at a desk.

Aren't those considered "resting" calories and not "active" calories (which the watch faces show) though? I'm honestly not sure.

I just went on a 40 minute (round trip) drive to pick up a takeout order and logged the results:
8:12pm (start) - 336 calories
8:43pm (finish) - 348 calories

So my Apple Watch is saying I burned 12 calories in 40 minutes of driving. No idea if that's accurate or not.

I pay very close attention to the calorie count throughout the day (I have it as a complication on the modular watchface) and it's never noticeably increased while driving for me.
Well when I tested it I had the watch off my body, I drove for about 10-15 minutes, and apparently I burned around 75 calories.

So, yeah... something needs to be done about that.

jts

...hate me...
Calories burned based on movement/steps, and activity are always guesstimates anyway, so you never, ever get precise exact values, just approximations.

Don't sweat that kind of small stuff.

Ninja Dom

Dealing with notifications with iMessage and Mail is really satisfying on the watch. I'm one of those weird people that only uses the Apple's mail app , but I then get all the benefits of it with people able to archive, read it, mark as read... soon be able to reply with 2.0

Same here, I'm deep into using Apple only services on iOS and OSX. Except Gmail. I think my email account is the only non Apple primary thing I use. Where possible, of course.

I was going to wait for the 2.0 version of the Apple Watch since the second generation of Apple stuff is usually so much better, so I went and got a FitBit Charge HR this weekend. The plan was use it for a year and get the Apple Watch 2 or whatever.

I have used the FitBit for a day, and already I am telling myself I should just splurge and get the Apple Watch, first gen be damned. I lift my wrist and hate having to press a button to see the time. I want a timer built in that I can activate right from the watch. Ugh.

I think it is time to return the FitBit and just dive right into the Apple Watch world.

Ninja Dom

What's everybody's Daily Activity target set to?

My suggested target by the Watch was 370 calories based on my info in Health app on my iPhone. But I'm smashing that pretty easy.

Ninja Dom

500 calories, I walk a lot. Also if I workout that day I hit it pretty easily

Ah, I'm gonna up mine to about 450 and see how I get on.

Alright so after a few days with the Watch, these are my biggest concerns.

1) iPhone Battery Life: My iPhone 6 ran out of battery just as I was finishing work today. Full charge this morning at 100% before leaving for work. This has never happened to me before I got the Watch. I work in different locations and the location I'm working in currently hasn't got very good phone reception. I suspect that the Watch is requesting more information from the iPhone while the reception is bad which is affecting the battery.

2) iMessage photos & videos not downloading: I'm a very heavy iMessage user, so much that I hardly ever use any other messaging apps, mainly a little bit of WhatsApp once every couple of weeks. But it's iMessage all the way (Mac/iPhone/iPad). I have plenty of Group messages and communicate constantly with my girlfriend.
Within my conversations are plenty of images & videos sent to me. I get a dialog to "Touch to Download" but nothing happens, just swirling activity rings. This probably happens to around 20% of my received pics & videos.

Is it possible to save received pics in Messages on the Watch to the Watch Photo Album? What about the other way round and send a pic from the Watch Photo Album to somebody without having to get your iPhone out?

But really that's about it. Apart from the above, I love the Watch. I was perfectly aware of it's limitations before I bought it. And I'm only using the default in-built apps. I've only got 6 extra apps on it from the App Store, and apart from National Rail Enquiries, I don't use them. Really enjoying it.

1) iPhone Battery Life: My iPhone 6 ran out of battery just as I was finishing work today. Full charge this morning at 100% before leaving for work. This has never happened to me before I got the Watch. I work in different locations and the location I'm working in currently hasn't got very good phone reception. I suspect that the Watch is requesting more information from the iPhone while the reception is bad which is affecting the battery.

Well Bluetooth will naturally use more battery but my 6+ battery has been better at the end of the day because I honestly just use it less because of the apple watch notifications and when I like to check for the weather quickly without pulling the phone out.

123rl

I got mine today. I had ordered it but it was due next Friday. It's available to pick up in-store reservation in the UK now. I ordered one for the Manchester Arndale and picked it up at 10.30am, and cancelled my online order.

I like it so far. It's very comfortable, it's easy and intuitive to use, and it's impressed me already

Ninja Dom

👆🏾 What  Watch did you get? I got the Space Grey Sport.

Now I'm thinking about getting the Dark Blue Leather Loop.

Reserved my 38mm SGS today and I'll be able to pick it up when I get off work later tonight.

If I don't like it at least I have 14 days to return it

My watch is currently on a plane from Alaska. Kind of peeved I could have probably pick one up in store today instead but 1 day is no biggie. No bands outside the stock black sports band I ordered.

Ninja Dom

What are we all gonna do in 3 or 4 or so years when we need to fit a new  Watch battery? I'm not looking to buy each new generation like I do with the iPhone. I just wanna use this  Watch for as long as possible.

Zeyphersan, you got any inside info on how long customers are expected to use these first gen watches for?

Fliesen

What are we all gonna do in 3 or 4 or so years when we need to fit a new  Watch battery? I'm not looking to buy each new generation like I do with the iPhone. I just wanna use this  Watch for as long as possible.

Zeyphersan, you got any inside info on how long customers are expected to use these first gen watches for?

if you're an early adopter of the AppleWatch, i'd think you're an Apple enthusiast and technophile to such a degree that you wouldn't wanna be using a 1st gen device when gen 4 is around - regardless of how the battery holds up. ;)

same thing you do if you need a new iPhone battery. Pay apple for one.

Fliesen

I really wish you could remap the contacts button - I have next to no need for it.

same here.

like a play / pause button or something.
or maybe a screen on / off (lock) button. (it kindasorta works as a wake screen button already, but the "touch watchface with whole hand" to turn it off feels a bit dorky and not at all subtle.)

Mitch

Banned
Apple stores throughout Houston have watches available. You can make a reservation through their site. Going to pick mine up at 11.

Gurman on Apple Watch 2:

FaceTime Video Camera
Apple’s current plans call for a video camera to be integrated into the top bezel of the Apple Watch 2, enabling users to make and receive FaceTime calls on the move via their wrists.

More iPhone Independence
Apple intends to integrate a new and more dynamic wireless chipset into the wearable. Although the Apple Watch 2 will likely continue to require an iPhone for heavy data transfers, including software upgrades and the synchronization of media files, basic communication tasks could be handled without iPhone assistance.

Battery Life
Apple’s research indicates that average consumers finish each day with between 30% and 40% charge remaining on their Apple Watch, enabling the company’s engineers to change their hardware priorities for future Apple Watch models.

Additional Variations
The company is looking at ways to attract customers at price points between $1,000 and $10,000, but it is unclear if this will result in lower-priced gold Apple Watch variations, higher-priced steel models with more advanced bands, or versions with new materials. It is possible that Apple could introduce Apple Watch 2 variations made with titanium, tungsten, palladium, or as has been previously suggested, platinum.

Launch
While minor hardware upgrades for this holiday season have been hinted at in analyst reports over the past several months, it is most likely that Apple will wait until 2016 to release a full next-generation Apple Watch device.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/18/apple-watch-2-camera-tetherless/

tbh, if these are the headliners, there's nothing really that makes me want to upgrade.If the casing is smaller, i would but can't see that happening until v3 at the earliest.

LCfiner

So I picked up a ss 42mm watch with black rubber band from my local apple store yesterday. apparently first one sold in the store. I had already tried them on in April so I was not surprised by the lovely build quality of the SS version. The rubber band is growing on me but I still ordered some amazon leather bands with adapters that should arrive in a few weeks.

Been using it for two days and I mostly like it. it can take some time to get used to the crown button usage (single press vs double press. switching between watch face, app and app home screen)

I'm mostly ignoring third party apps as they're way too slow to load for my taste (I know watch os2 will help this immensely). I really just wanted it for notifications while driving or at work. I prefer the feel of the tap to the buzz of the vibration of my phone in my pocket. ideally, i will turn off phone vibration altogether.

the only other thing i want is for my grocery list app (anylist) to get a watch app out so i can check things off when grocery hopping without having to hold my phone in my hand and still drive the cart.

oh, and when Canada gets apple pay, the watch usage should be easier than using either phone or card from wallet. (wallet and phone tapping are pretty much equal in convenience. watch should trump both)

Fliesen

So I picked up a ss 42mm watch with black rubber band from my local apple store yesterday. apparently first one sold in the store. I had already tried them on in April so I was not surprised by the lovely build quality of the SS version. The rubber band is growing on me but I still ordered some amazon leather bands with adapters that should arrive in a few weeks.

Been using it for two days and I mostly like it. it can take some time to get used to the crown button usage (single press vs double press. switching between watch face, app and app home screen)

I'm mostly ignoring third party apps as they're way too slow to load for my taste (I know watch os2 will help this immensely). I really just wanted it for notifications while driving or at work. I prefer the feel of the tap to the buzz of the vibration of my phone in my pocket. ideally, i will turn off phone vibration altogether.

the only other thing i want is for my grocery list app (anylist) to get a watch app out so i can check things off when grocery hopping without having to hold my phone in my hand and still drive the cart.

oh, and when Canada gets apple pay, the watch usage should be easier than using either phone or card from wallet. (wallet and phone tapping are pretty much equal in convenience. watch should trump both)

i can only recommend Wunderlist. Works fine on the Watch and has a great native app on any platform.

Mitch

Banned
Was in and out real quick. The store was 100% full, too. Always love their superb customer support. It feels fantastic. One of my co-workers decided to get one for his wife after seeing mine. Another is just as excited as I am.

42MM Sport. Will get a leather band in the next month or so.

CHzDzIOUcAEQ-mZ.jpg:large

Ninja Dom

What's Gurman like with his predictions?

You know that his prediction here is something any of us could have made up. What's his basis for all of this?

What's Gurman like with his predictions?

You know that his prediction here is something any of us could have made up. What's his basis for all of this?

lol, I'm guessing you've not heard of him before.

If Gurman reports something that doesn't turn up, it's usually because the product got delayed/cancelled. Check out his WWDC roundup from this year or last.

Or his piece on the new MacBook two months before it was announced:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/06/macbook-air-12-inch-redesign/

Not saying he's flawless, but his reporting is very on point.

Top Bottom