• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Ninja Dom

lol, I'm guessing you've not heard of him before.

If Gurman reports something that doesn't turn up, it's usually because the product got delayed/cancelled. Check out his WWDC roundup from this year or last.

Or his piece on the new MacBook two months before it was announced:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/06/macbook-air-12-inch-redesign/

Not saying he's flawless, but his reporting is very on point.

Yeah, I heard of him and I'm aware of 9 to 5 Mac, although I don't read it. Reckon it's like Frank said, pretty safe predictions here with the Watch 2.

Sean

Banned
Gurman on Apple Watch 2:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/18/apple-watch-2-camera-tetherless/

tbh, if these are the headliners, there's nothing really that makes me want to upgrade.If the casing is smaller, i would but can't see that happening until v3 at the earliest.

This sounds awful tbh. Apple Watch was designed to have interactions last mere seconds because it's uncomfortable as fuck to hold your arm up much longer. And then they go and add FaceTime video chat which is the complete opposite of that? Wtf. Nobody is gonna FaceTime from their watch, get real Apple. If this is the flagship feature I hope they get laughed off the stage.

Makes me kind of concerned that Apple seems to have no clue about what the watch is good for. They should be doubling down on improving the fitness aspects (GPS, waterproof, sleep tracking) instead of these useless gimmicks.

Hero

Picked up a 42mm Black Sports Watch today from the Apple Store.

Really liking it so far. Are there any must-have third party apps right now?

Also what are some steel bands people are getting? I would like one to swap out for more formal settings.

Just did my first run with phone for calibration. Distance was within .01 miles of friend with Garmin. Probably will do a few more with phone before running untethered.

Ninja Dom

Picked up a 42mm Black Sports Watch today from the Apple Store.

Really liking it so far. Are there any must-have third party apps right now?

Also what are some steel bands people are getting? I would like one to swap out for more formal settings.

After a week of using the same watch as you I have to say that I'm not really using any third party apps. But there are two very nice ones.

London Tube Tracker (£2.25) & National Rail Enquiries (Free).

Living in London and commuting on a daily basis, these two apps are PERFECT on the Watch. As I'm rushing to the station I only have to flick my wrist to see where the train is, how far it is until it turns up and whether I'll make the train or not.

Fliesen

So are the battery claims accurate? Finishing the day with 20-30% battery remaining?

i went to bed at 11:30 pm with 51% yesterday.

still means i need to charge it over night every day.

There's nothing worse than a device that lasts 36 hours, as it will fool you into not getting used to charging it every night and will then die during day 2. once we reach 3 days of standby, we're talking about a long lasting battery. anything below that stays a nightly charger.

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to battery life, or it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence!"
cJ5HmX8.jpg

I usually finish with 50-60%

I'm at 52% right now, and I've been checking it/playing with it often since I woke up 14 hours ago.

i went to bed at 11:30 pm with 51% yesterday.

still means i need to charge it over night every day.

There's nothing worse than a device that lasts 36 hours, as it will fool you into not getting used to charging it every night and will then die during day 2. once we reach 3 days of standby, we're talking about a long lasting battery. anything below that stays a nightly charger.

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to battery life, or it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence!"

That's pretty good for a first generation device.

Apple are generally pretty good at keeping/improving battery performance whilst adding more power, so 2.0 should be good.

What you getting on the 6+? My Lumia 930 lasts around 20 hours usually.

I can regularly finish the day with over 50%, and I'll just end up recharging out of habit

The only info I have right now is that it's been used for 53 minutes and on standby for an hour and forty and is still at 93%. I'll see where it's at when I go to bed

Ninja Dom

Speaking of battery life on the Apple Watch, mine has been off charge for 17 hours now and I'm on 56% remaining.

Battery Life is great but just not great enough that I'd be confident on not having to charge it for one night.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, tried on the watch today. I told them I was interested in the sport but might want a leather band for it.

The associate told me it would fit but that the steel and aluminum should be used together because the "galvanized metals" would corode and become permanently stuck together. Never mind the leather loop I was interested in doesn't have any steel parts at the connection point. *rolleyes*

Surprisingly the link bracelet looked good on me, I wasn't expecting to like it.

Tried to buy the 42mm SG Sport but they had run out earlier in the day :(

Alright, my watch finally arrived! I think I got it set up how I like, no sounds and only taps for notifications. It feels a bit... Weak? And I have it on the strongest setting

I kept it on in the shower, had to overcome the mental block with that

Ninja Dom

Alright, my watch finally arrived! I think I got it set up how I like, no sounds and only taps for notifications. It feels a bit... Weak? And I have it on the strongest setting

I kept it on in the shower, had to overcome the mental block with that

You have an option call 'Prominent Haptic' which makes the Watch vibrate before tapping when a notification comes in. I don't have this turned on as I feel the taps fine (I'm wearing a Sport Band done up pretty tight).

The sound on the Watch for alerts isn't particularly loud anyway, I find, even on the loudest setting.

You have an option call 'Prominent Haptic' which makes the Watch vibrate before tapping when a notification comes in. I don't have this turned on as I feel the taps fine (I'm wearing a Sport Band done up pretty tight).

The sound on the Watch for alerts isn't particularly loud anyway, I find, even on the loudest setting.

I'll try that, thanks for the tip

Edit: you know now that I have the Watch synced, my iPhone battery is taking a beating

I'm glad I went with the SS instead of the Sport, it's super nice.

What's some common issues/annoyances people are having that I should keep an eye out for?

Ninja Dom

I'm glad I went with the SS instead of the Sport, it's super nice.

What's some common issues/annoyances people are having that I should keep an eye out for?

This post of mine from a couple of pages ago highlight my biggest issues so far.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=168391093

I wonder if the Complications you have set up on your Watch face affect the battery life of the iPhone. Currently I have the Weather Complication on my face and that updates all the time, constantly. If I remove this Complication then the Watch won't constantly ask the iPhone for weather data and will just retrieve weather info when the Weather app is opened on the Watch. Just a guess.

But I do like seeing what the weather is like on the Watch face.

This post of mine from a couple of pages ago highlight my biggest issues so far.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=168391093

I wonder if the Complications you have set up on your Watch face affect the battery life of the iPhone. Currently I have the Weather Complication on my face and that updates all the time, constantly. If I remove this Complication then the Watch won't constantly ask the iPhone for weather data and will just retrieve weather info when the Weather app is opened on the Watch. Just a guess.

But I do like seeing what the weather is like on the Watch face.

Huh, I haven't had the issue of the stuff from iMessage not downloading, but I'll keep a lookout. Battery life drain I've definitely noticed. As for complications, I've actually picked a watch face (the earth) that doesn't have any, so that's not going to be hurting my battery life specifically

Thanks for the constant replies, Ninja Dom

japtor

What's supposed to be normal, then? It seems to be pretty common
I can't tell if there is a normal or if there's bugs or a combination of both. I've seen people posting about longer battery life, shorter battery life, and (pretty sure a bug) really really short battery life. And probably everything in between.

Ninja Dom

Longer battery life on the iPhone will only come because of much less interactions with the iPhone as you interact more with the Watch.

My iPhone interaction hasn't decreased much since getting the Watch, I'm still browsing GAF, Boom Beaching, FaceTime'ing and video & music playing as much as before. Plus the iPhone is now feeding my Watch with info.

Moreche

Even though I returned my 42SS to apple this week I still find it interesting reading your thoughts on it.
I loved my first gen iPad and iPhone but the watch just isn't for me but it has ignited my interest in wearing a nice watch again.
I'm looking at a tag or Raymond Weil.

Ninja Dom

Even though I returned my 42SS to apple this week I still find it interesting reading your thoughts on it.
I loved my first gen iPad and iPhone but the watch just isn't for me but it has ignited my interest in wearing a nice watch again.
I'm looking at a tag or Raymond Weil.

Won't they be around the same price (or more) than the Apple Watch? But do significantly less? Time & clock functions only.

I mean, even if you don't use too many functions on the Apple Watch you've still got possibly the greatest digital watch ever created.

Moreche

Won't they be around the same price (or more) than the Apple Watch? But do significantly less? Time & clock functions only.

I mean, even if you don't use too many functions on the Apple Watch you've still got possibly the greatest digital watch ever created.
I didn't like the tiny lag when I raised the watch and I didn't before but I now agree that it doesn't replace a great mechanical watch.
It just wasn't and never will be for me.

The battery life on my 6 Plus has gotten better since I've had my Apple Watch. Got it on launch day so I've had 2 months of usage and it's been consistently better. I imagine it's because my iPhone screen is activating less with notifications getting pushed to the Watch. I'm using a watch face with weather, moon phase, activity, and sunrise/sunset complications.

ckohler

I've had an Apple Watch since launch day and I can't tell a difference with my iPhone 6's battery life. The Watch continues to have more than "a full day's use" of battery life, as does my phone. I charge both in the evening before bed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've had an Apple Watch since launch day and I can't tell a difference with my iPhone 6's battery life. The Watch continues to have more than "a full day's use" of battery life, as does my phone. I charge both in the evening before bed.

Yeah for real. The 6+ is a battery beast, there are so many nights when I'm falling asleep and see my phone at ~70% and don't even bother to plug it in.

I'm charging my watch every night (had it for a month now) and have only seen it below 50% a handfull of times.

Though I really do try to use my phone as little as possible. The watch too. I have nearly all notifications but Texts turned off, I don't have push enabled in Twitterific, etc. If I'm gonna use my phone I'm gonna drop everything and focus on it and really sit down and do something. I try hard to stamp out habitual and idle usage.

I think I'm going to stop showering with this thing. It's kind of entertaining, but the screen doesn't really respond when your hands are wet, and even if the watch is "water resistant" I don't want to risk anything

Plus I'm even more sure I'm damaging the classic buckle (leather) in the shower

Any one can confirm that is your iPhone is on the home wifi and you are out of Bluetooth range with the watch does the watch switch over to Wifi and you can receive calls being around the house but not in Bluetooth range?

There was a mention that this is possible as this would be great to have the phone lying around the house and you can get all your update and alert without being in Bluetooth range as this is what drove me mad with the pebble.

Hope this makes sense?

Top Bottom