• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Kattbuss

Who gets that pushed to them? Just the people who were on the beta previously, I assume?

Is there any other way to install it?

You can install a profile to your watch and get the GM today. Check out the GM thread on /applewatch reddit for instructions.

What I want to know is if you can remove the profile after. I don't want to get beta updates.

You can install a profile to your watch and get the GM today. Check out the GM thread on /applewatch reddit for instructions.

What I want to know is if you can remove the profile after. I don't want to get beta updates.

Just started the process. This download is taking a long time.

There is a profiles section in the Watch App. I assume you can delete it there once it's updated.

Kattbuss

Just started the process. This download is taking a long time.

There is a profiles section in the Watch App. I assume you can delete it there once it's updated.

OK, great!
I have no profile section in the app now but I guess it's added once you have a profile installed.

OK, great!
I have no profile section in the app now but I guess it's added once you have a profile installed.

Correct. The profiles option is only there when you have a profile actually installed. It's safe to remove the profile once you install the GM, and I would recommend the same on iPhone and iPad since they sometimes get confused and think that PB 3 is more recent than the iOS 9 GM.

Well, fuck.

I started the update process on my watch but I have to leave soon. I thought this would be a lot faster once the download was done.

Do I need to leave it on the charger after the process has started or was that just a check and now I can move it. Battery life was over 50%.

I imagine the wifi requirement was just for the verification check.

I just need to keep the phone and the watch close and I definitely need to take my phone with me.

Well, fuck.

I started the update process on my watch but I have to leave soon. I thought this would be a lot faster once the download was done.

Do I need to leave it on the charger after the process has started or was that just a check and now I can move it. Battery life was over 50%.

I imagine the wifi requirement was just for the verification check.

I just need to keep the phone and the watch close and I definitely need to take my phone with me.

The update process for the Watch takes forever but I wouldn't risk taking it off the charger or moving my phone away since it seems like such a pain in the ass to fix it if you mess something up.

The update process for the Watch takes forever but I wouldn't risk taking it off the charger or moving my phone away since it seems like such a pain in the ass to fix it if you mess something up.

Hmm.

I am going to have to do one of those things in a few minutes. The circle is filling up faster now. Hopefully I don't have to find out the hard way.

Moreche

Just exchanged my 38SS for the 38 space black SS.
Now waiting for the midnight blue sport band.
Nearly missed my exchange window by two days.

Hmm.

I am going to have to do one of those things in a few minutes. The circle is filling up faster now. Hopefully I don't have to find out the hard way.

If I had to choose one I'd probably take the thing of the charger. Assuming it had been charged to a decent level in the first place.

If I had to choose one I'd probably take the thing of the charger. Assuming it had been charged to a decent level in the first place.

The circle is almost complete. I think I will be ok.

Yeah, that's my choice. I don't think Apple would have it stall the update for it coming off the charger. That's just a safe guard so people don't try to start the update with 5% battery. I do think it needs the phone in the process.

freshair

I think I'm about to join the club with the new gold aluminum model 🙌

4jnwRPw.png

Hotttt

Especially when paired with the brown buckle

Blackhead

Redarse
Just exchanged my 38SS for the 38 space black SS.
Now waiting for the midnight blue sport band.
Nearly missed my exchange window by two days.

Lucky you. I got the Space Black SS already but don't like the link band very much. I'm doubly pissed Apple didn't anounce any new matching bands for the Space Black yesterday. Anybody have a black Milanese loop recommendation?

Moreche

Lucky you. I got the Space Black SS already but don't like the link band very much. I'm doubly pissed Apple didn't anounce any new matching bands for the Space Black yesterday. Anybody have a black Milanese loop recommendation?
Is the black SS good at scratch resistance?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, what's everyone's thoughts on the Hermes watch?

Call me shallow, but I like the exclusive nature of it, without paying the exorbitant Edition prices. The square watch face looks really good, and even from pictures, the leather looks significantly better than Apple's variant. Is it worth the premium based on cost of product alone? Absolutely not. But considering the weight the Hermes brand carries, it's not that absurd.

Call me crazy, but there's a piece of me that is considering it...

Blackhead

Redarse
Is the black SS good at scratch resistance?

Yes, the best

Call me shallow, but I like the exclusive nature of it, without paying the exorbitant Edition prices. The square watch face looks really good, and even from pictures, the leather looks significantly better than Apple's variant. Is it worth the premium based on cost of product alone? Absolutely not. But considering the weight the Hermes brand carries, it's not that absurd.

I really like the wraparound strap (designed for ladies though) and I'm feeling you on that exclusivity thing (I didn't expect to feel annoyed when Apple suddenly made the space Black more easily purchaseable lol ) but if you don't wear expensive fashion brands on the regular why bother with Hermes though? That cuff strap would look so awkard with a hoodie and jeans...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yes, the best

I really like the wraparound strap (designed for ladies though) and I'm feeling you on that exclusivity thing (I didn't expect to feel annoyed when Apple suddenly made the space Black more easily purchaseable lol ) but if you don't wear expensive fashion brands on the regular why bother with Hermes though? That cuff strap would look so awkard with a hoodie and jeans...

Yup, the double loop strap looks phenomenal, and I hate the fact it's 38mm. I don't think it's too feminine, but I can't rock the smaller face on my large wrists.

I wouldn't do the cuff, I'd do the standard leather strap. I don't have anything at the Hermes level - or even close; but I don't think it would look out of place with my standard work attire: Allen Edmonds, Gitman Bros, local bespoke suits when presenting, etc. Most my watches are Seikos, with a Hamilton mixed in for nicer days. The Hermes apple watch is the first one that I feel wouldn't look crazy out of place - some of the guys here have the sport model - and it's cool; but it looks ridiculous when wearing dress clothes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I like that Apple is keeping the tradition of boutique signed watches alive in the digital smartwatch age. Just wish the case was signed too.

Aren't all three bracelets aimed at females?
Two certainly are as they're remakes of their classic tour bracelets which are from the women's line.
I guess the cuff is most masculine but it looks a lot better on a female's wrist to me.

Moreche

I like that Apple is keeping the tradition of boutique signed watches alive in the digital smartwatch age. Just wish the case was signed too.

Aren't all three bracelets aimed at females?
Two certainly are as they're remakes of their classic tour bracelets which are from the women's line.
I guess the cuff is most masculine but it looks a lot better on a female's wrist to me.
I think the case does have Hermes on the back.

Ninja Dom

Do we know the prices? It's an Hermes, so it's gonna be super expensive. If the prices been announced then I'm totally wrong - but I reckon that these will be close to Edition prices.

EDIT: They're stainless steel - so a fair bit cheaper than an Edition. But still pricey I reckon.

Do we know the prices? It's an Hermes, so it's gonna be super expensive. If the prices been announced then I'm totally wrong - but I reckon that these will be close to Edition prices.

EDIT: They're stainless steel - so a fair bit cheaper than an Edition. But still pricey I reckon.

1100 for the Single Tour, 1250 for the Double Tour and 1500 for the Cuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So glad I've waited to purchase a sports band. That Lilac color is mine! So cute!

Seeng the hermes leather makes me really think apple fucked up the modern buckle's leather

actually that render looks the same idk

Ninja Dom

So glad I've waited to purchase a sports band. That Lilac color is mine! So cute!

Seeng the hermes leather makes me really think apple fucked up the modern buckle's leather

actually that render looks the same idk

Midnight blue Sports Band is sexy. Would love to see how it looks with my Black/Space Grey Sport.

Hey, is anyone here on the WatchOS 2 GM? My battery life has taken a nose dive ever since installing it. Died in the middle of the day on Friday, died at the end of the day yesterday, and I'm already at 75% today, and I've only had it on for an hour and a half.

Anyone else experiencing this? What could be the problem? It's unusable like this.

Hey, is anyone here on the WatchOS 2 GM? My battery life has taken a nose dive ever since installing it. Died in the middle of the day on Friday, died at the end of the day yesterday, and I'm already at 75% today, and I've only had it on for an hour and a half.

Anyone else experiencing this? What could be the problem? It's unusable like this.

I'm on it. Put my Watch on today at about 9:30 am. It's now 12:20 and I still have 90% left in the battery. I've noticed a few other quirks like my weather complication doesn't seem to like to update my location even though I have it set to, but battery has been fine for me.

SuperPac

I am on it. My battery life has remained great - haven't seen anything below 40 by the end of the day, actually.

cjp

Thoughts on this dock?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/904744483/xylum-apple-watch-charging-dock-stand/description

I think it looks quite nice. Tempted to back but I'm unsure what import charges I'd get slapped with here in the UK.

Apparently, re-pairing may fix it.

SeanR1221

My wife loves the gold and rose gold sport watches. And now that monowear is making a white and rose gold link bracelet she's sold.

My battery life seems much improved.

Apparently, re-pairing may fix it.

I just tried re-pairing it, and uninstalling a bunch of third-party apps. We'll see if it improves, but I'm already down to 45%. Although I'm attributing that to the process of un-pairing and re-pairing the watch.

I also noticed it hadn't logged any of my activity in a week, and when I was using Maps yesterday, I wasn't getting the notifications on the watch, so I wonder if it wasn't communicating with the phone, and that was causing the problems.

I just got an Apple Watch yesterday as an unexpected gift. I would never buy one for myself, but no chance I'm turning down a free one.

So far I'm not really sure how useful it's going to be on a daily basis for me. I really do like being able to glance at my wrist and get the time and a few other pieces of info, but using actual apps seems crazy-making. Fiddling with the interface for more than a few seconds just makes me want to pull out my phone and do it there instead.

Also, I hope Apple opens up watch faces to developers soon, because I don't love any of the digital faces. Modular is the only one that makes sense for what I want.

Any guidance on water resistance? Like, it's totally cool for washing my hands, washing dishes, etc. right? I had a Fitbit before this, and the only time I ever took it off was in the shower or when giving my daughter a bath. Is this pretty much the same?

s42yg-sbmb-sel-201509_GEO_US

My wife just ordered me this for my birthday. I didn't think I'd go for a gold watch at all but it works so well with that band that it changed my mind completely.

freshair

... It's gonna clash something fierce with my pending rose gold iPhone, but whatever... yoloswag and all that.

I also have an impending rose gold iphone coming in. 🙌

My wife just ordered me this for my birthday. I didn't think I'd go for a gold watch at all but it works so well with that band that it changed my mind completely.

Aww yeahhh.

Also consider the black milanese

leather loop

or the brown classic buckle

I've got a 3rd party brown buckle coming soon (I like the gold/brown combination) and will post it when it arrives from China 😭

japtor

So far I'm not really sure how useful it's going to be on a daily basis for me. I really do like being able to glance at my wrist and get the time and a few other pieces of info, but using actual apps seems crazy-making. Fiddling with the interface for more than a few seconds just makes me want to pull out my phone and do it there instead.
Might take a while to figure out. For me a lot of it was just paring stuff down, like just the notifications, glances, and apps to near minimum of what I wanted. App wise ehhh, it's hard to choose but basically I'd just think about what you'd find useful on the wrist vs having to pull the phone out. For me the ones I use most are Clear as a shopping list, and Authy for two factor authentication codes. Speed can blow but I'm hoping native versions help a bit.

One other big thing for me was the show on raise setting (or whatever it's called), it defaults to showing the watch but you can change it to the last app if you had one open. Particularly with Clear when I was out shopping it was really annoying having to keep switching back to the app, vs just keeping it open.

And back to general usefulness, I couldn't use mine for a few hours the other day...and it was surprisingly annoying. Mostly just cause I've had my phone on silent most of the time since getting the watch a few months ago, there's almost no reason to use the ringers and notification sounds on it anymore. That and just pulling the phone out to check texts that I didn't really need to respond to. Minor ticky tack things, but when you've lived without them for a few months it was a bit grating going back to it.
Any guidance on water resistance? Like, it's totally cool for washing my hands, washing dishes, etc. right? I had a Fitbit before this, and the only time I ever took it off was in the shower or when giving my daughter a bath. Is this pretty much the same?
Hell I've been showering with mine for a few weeks now...cause I've been too lazy to replace my bathroom clock's battery. You're not supposed to, but its IPX rating is pretty good, I wouldn't worry about it for the stuff you mention. People have tested it with swimming and surfing even, but that's frowned upon (along with showering actually) by the official documentation.

Basically just don't leave it underwater or too deep for a long time, or spray it with high pressure jets (like really high pressure from what I've read about IPX testing). I'm guessing the issue with showering is something to do with how soap messes with water.
Also consider the black milanese
An Apple one still doesn't exist unfortunately. I think those watch plating companies were offering to do it but I have no clue how well the coatings have held up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Didn't see they actually stopped selling the original sports band color combinations. I expect these seasonal style swap outs to be more frequent than actual hardware updates. I wonder what rhythm each will settle into.

Top Bottom