• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

cakefoo

Never noticed this before so I'm not sure if this has always been there or if it's new with Watch OS 2.

IMG_2304.PNG

Has the Now Playing glance always shown the name of the app it's playing from in the top right? Realized this week I could tap it and go to Overcast, which has made the Overcast glance itself a bit redundant. So - new in Watch OS 2 or was that always there and I just didn't see it?
I can jump into Pandora from the playback controls widget but I don't see "Pandora" in the top right. edit: beaten

Does track info show up when you launch Pandora from your watch in OS2? Mine doesn't in OS1, but it does show up if I launch the iphone app.

Ninja Dom

Ah bullshit! I've updated my iPhone to iOS 8.4.1 and now I'm getting alerts on BOTH my Watch and iPhone even though the iPhone is locked and not in use. I don't want that. I want notifications on the Watch only, when the iPhone is locked and not in use.

How do I fix this?

asdad123

I like my apple watch, but I feel like I went wrong with the 38mm lol.

If anyone feels the opposite with the 42mm, and would like to trade, hit me up haha. I have a 38mm stainless steel

LCfiner

and here we see why the current watch faces have a black background.
them bezels.

well, with os2 and the photo watch faces, Apple is saying they're fine with the bezels being clearly distinct on some faces.

personally, I prefer the black background ones, anyway, but I'm glad Apple is adding the photo ones, even if it highlights the massive bezel around the screen

Fliesen

well, with os2 and the photo watch faces, Apple is saying they're fine with the bezels being clearly distinct on some faces.

personally, I prefer the black background ones, anyway, but I'm glad Apple is adding the photo ones, even if it highlights the massive bezel around the screen

maybe they'll add some sort of vignette to ease the transition from bezel into the picture....

maybe they won't.
I'll stick with my jellyfish, anyways.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone else get this notification masking error often:

49MrnRe.jpg

?

And I can't figure out why sometimes the twitter notification includes the picture and other times it doesn't. It's so frustrating that tapping on the notification to open the Applewatch app doesn't load the tweet either :(. Are there any better twitter apps+notifications available?

Good lord, I had no idea the bezel was so big.

After being stuck on a Windows phone for about a year I'm upgrading to the new iPhone next month, looking forward to picking up a Watch too whenever it gets refreshed.

cjp

Am I being crazy or is there no way to access the subtitle/audio track menu on Apple TV using the Apple Watch Remote app?

What am I missing? It must be something simple because I can't imagine they'd leave this out.

Blackhead

Redarse
Am I being crazy or is there no way to access the subtitle/audio track menu on Apple TV using the Apple Watch Remote app?

What am I missing? It must be something simple because I can't imagine they'd leave this out.

Did you try force touch on every section of the app?
:(

robotrock

Banned
Finally got my 38mm SS model and I'm absolutely loving it! Gorgeous device.

Any tips on how to clean it? I heard running it under a faucet is okay? Cold or warm?

cjp

I just follow the instructions in the Apple support article.

Keep your Apple Watch clean and dry. Use a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth. Some models include one1. Because Apple Watch is splash and water resistant (but not waterproof), you can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water.

Soaps, cleaning products, and abrasive materials2 shouldn't be used on your Apple Watch. Compressed air and external heat sources like hair dryers can cause damage.

To clean Apple Watch, follow these steps:

Turn off your Apple Watch, and remove it from the charger.
Clean your Apple Watch with a recommended cloth. If needed, you can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water.
Dry your Apple Watch with a recommended cloth.
If the Digital Crown isn’t turning smoothly, learn how to clean it.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204522

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my 38mm SS model and I'm absolutely loving it! Gorgeous device.

Any tips on how to clean it? I heard running it under a faucet is okay? Cold or warm?

I don't think the temperature matters too much for the faucet. Really the only time the faucet is necessary is when the crown gets gunked up and starts to stick. Which doesn't happen too frequently and I assume is also directly tied to how much you sweat/workout with the watch.

I use my tshirt to polish it frequently, but everyonce in a while the crown does get really gummy and sticky. A nice warm faucet cleans it easily though.

Still enjoying my watch. A lot of it has become second nature to me. I have a lot of observations I've been meaning to record.

Czech website Letem Svetem Applem is claiming that Apple plans to announce new smart bands that will connect to the hidden diagnostic port on the Apple Watch sometimes in early 2016. According to the report, these bands will add blood oxygen, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and body temperature sensors right to the band itself allowing for even deeper health tracking for those who wants it.

The report also says that the reason for putting them in the bands is that in order achieve accurate readings, these types of sensors need to be on the band, reading from the bottom of the wrist, rather from on top of the wrist where the Watch sits. The bands apparently will come in a variety of style and configurations.

http://watchaware.com/post/14766/ru...-bands-for-apple-watch-will-launch-early-2016

Random website, so take with mountain of salt.I'd be down for one as long as they're not too chunky. super $$$ though i bet.
Don't know how they expect people to easily remove the port.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That seems pretty interesting. There's been rumors like that for a while, IIRC.

I tried to shake my wrist to turn off an alarm and it didn't do anything which was kinda sad.

SeanR1221

I really thought once Best Buy started selling these, the cool looking third party bands would come.

Oh my god there's so many ugly bands!

I feel like I've been looking at the same cheap Chinese bands on Amazon since launch.

Whyyyy. Whhhhhyyyyy!!!??

LCfiner

Here's a 'clever' take on a clever watch. It doesn't do as much, but it does a lot.

http://mashable.com/2015/08/26/boldr-voyage-smartwatch/

Looks beautiful too.

the issue i have with this type of design is that the notifications are not detailed enough for me to know if it’s worthwhile taking my phone out of my pocket. I can’t read anything on it.

I figure if you’re gonna do a smartwatch, go all out and actually make it useful for notifications, texts, directions, etc. if all it does (aside from step tracking) is tell you something’s happening on my phone, it’s only somewhat useful if I’m in a different room than my phone

That's a good point and part of the reason why the battery life is so good. Wouldn't want replaceable batteries for anything shorter than 6 months anyway. So maybe a compromise should be made by them.

That's one of the biggest plusses about alerts for apple watch. You get pretty much everything. You can get to stuff later and keep the phone in your pocket, which I really like.

Fliesen

the issue i have with this type of design is that the notifications are not detailed enough for me to know if it’s worthwhile taking my phone out of my pocket. I can’t read anything on it.

I figure if you’re gonna do a smartwatch, go all out and actually make it useful for notifications, texts, directions, etc. if all it does (aside from step tracking) is tell you something’s happening on my phone, it’s only somewhat useful if I’m in a different room than my phone

i agree with this.

If i wanted to wear a "timepiece" looking watch, i would have done so the last 6 years of my life, which i didn't.
Not going to sacrifice functionality for style, when:
1) i don't care about the 'classic timepiece' style, anyways
2) the AppleWatch already does such a good job at being a wearable that actually looks really good.

also, i have stopped caring about watch battery life. i consistently go to bed with the watch at 50+ %.
Sure, could always be better, but "6 months of battery life" is nothing i'd care about.
the marginal utility after, say, 3 days of battery life, goes down dramatically, imho.

Majine

Banned
Having had the watch for 24 hours, I really love the industrial design but good god, third party apps are just plain bad. Some are slow, some just don't work at all. watchOS2 can't come soon enough.

LCfiner

Having had the watch for 24 hours, I really love the industrial design but good god, third party apps are just plain bad. Some are slow, some just don't work at all. watchOS2 can't come soon enough.

Yup. In this state, I find it's better to pretend third party apps don't really exist. Relying on them daily would be frustrating.

watch os2 with native apps and 3rd party complications will be much better.

Yup. In this state, I find it's better to pretend third party apps don't really exist. Relying on them daily would be frustrating.

Yeah. I am avoiding 3rd party apps for now.

Blackhead

Redarse
38mm is better than 42 mm, agreed everyone?

Glances: "Et tu, brutus?"

Chittagong

Gold Member

Lol, this. I actually use 3rd party apps to demonstrate to people why I think my Apple Watch is a bit shit. I just need to show two apps and everyone gets it.

Moreche

38mm is better than 42 mm, agreed everyone?

Glances: "Et tu, brutus?"
Yes definitely, I first purchased a 42 and couldn't like it but I never bought a 38 because I was led to believe that it is the woman's watch.
I then bought a 38 two weeks ago and I love it, it feels light, looks inconspicuous and doesn't bang against things.
I just wish Apple did a leather loop for it.

Majine

Banned
I notice that I don't get haptic feedback for non-watch apps. They just show up in the notifications trey. Is there no way to enable haptic for all notifications?

japtor

I notice that I don't get haptic feedback for non-watch apps. They just show up in the notifications trey. Is there no way to enable haptic for all notifications?
I had this problem with Fantastical alerts in particular. I think the problem was that you only get sound/haptic feedback for stuff with sound notifications turned on on the phone. And non native apps don't have any granularity on the watch app/settings so you can't just turn on sound or haptics alone for the watch notifications, it's just on or off.

Anyone know if OS 2 changes any of that?

I had this problem with Fantastical alerts in particular. I think the problem was that you only get sound/haptic feedback for stuff with sound notifications turned on on the phone. And non native apps don't have any granularity on the watch app/settings so you can't just turn on sound or haptics alone for the watch notifications, it's just on or off.

Anyone know if OS 2 changes any of that?

Weird. I never changed any settings on my Watch and I get haptic feedback for all of my notifications including third party apps.

Top Bottom