• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Ninja Dom

11881830_948178548574414_754079224_n-1.jpg

Young Thug got a custom diamond encrusted Apple Watch.

It's probably for the best that it's being delayed. Updating the watch is a frustratingly long experience as is, I can just imagine what it'd be like when everyone's upgrading their phones and iPads as well.

kaskade

If it's delayed I'm sure it's a good reason. I was really excited for it though. Seems like it's going to make the watch way better.

SuperPac

Damn I'm dying for Watch OS 2 because the 1 thing I wanted from the watch was to load podcasts on it and listen to them without my phone. Hopefully it's only a day or 2 delayed.

Is there an app that's said they're updating with that? There is no podcast app from Apple on Watch OS 2.

mkenyon

Banned
So I've been very seriously looking at picking one of these up, but everything I'm reading more or less is: wait until the revision, there's too many oddities. Or at least, wait to see if OS2 fixes a lot of it.

Am I correct in this?

So I've been very seriously looking at picking one of these up, but everything I'm reading more or less is: wait until the revision, there's too many oddities. Or at least, wait to see if OS2 fixes a lot of it.

Am I correct in this?

Speaking as someone who was pressured to get an iPad because everybody else in [well known publication] got one on launch day, I don't regret being an early adopter of an Apple product. It's kind of neat, seeing how things evolve and how people learn how to adjust with it in their lives. And how products built around it, move with it. The iPad 1 hardware got retired pretty early on, but it still made for a nice hand-me-down for family that just wanted to play some videos on the go.

I just received my Apple Watch in the mail, and it's a nice looking timepiece and it's a neat bit of future fashion.

The apps won't be as fully featured as their iPhone counterparts, they have a built in limit for notifications that keeps it from being a truly professional monitoring device. Nonetheless, I like some of the ideas behind the Watch, and I think it's a more approachable device than the Android Wear watches from a normal person's perspective.

If you're aware of the caveats of being an early adopter, yeah, buy one. But if you'd rather wait and see what happens, see if there's something really useful that comes up, that's perfectly fine too.

kaskade

I'm having an issue so hopefully this hard reset fixes it. My screen will sometimes just turn off whenever I touch it. I couldn't even turn it off with the power off because I couldn't swipe the icon over.

Hopefully it's fixed in the next update if it's a software thing.

mrkgoo

Considering getting an Apple watch. 6S is to expensive, so maybe I'll settle for a cheaper new toy. Is the experience worth it?

Interfectum

Considering getting an Apple watch. 6S is to expensive, so maybe I'll settle for a cheaper new toy. Is the experience worth it?

I did a bunch of housework and cooking yesterday. I had my iphone hooked up to some speakers for an audio book. During that time I used my Watch to pause/unpause the iphone, to give me 10-20 minute timers, send texts to my wife, all via Siri on the Watch.

Was awesome.

mrkgoo

I did a bunch of housework and cooking yesterday. I had my iphone hooked up to some speakers for an audio book. During that time I used my Watch to pause/unpause the iphone, to give me 10-20 minute timers, send texts to my wife, all via Siri on the Watch.

Was awesome.

I think that's just it, isn't it. The watch is a tough sell - it's like all those people that resisted getting a smart phone, or getting a cell phone at all before that, claiming "what can it do for me?" Or "I done need it".... The arguments come off as anecdotal.

I dunno, I really want one and I'm sure I will find utility of my own, but it's Kind of a hard convince...

riotous

Banned
For me it's as simple as having notifications on my wrist; that's about all I use my smart watches for. It's important to me due to my job and how important phone calls and texts can be.. contractual obligations and the like. Can quickly ignore personal messages without whipping my phone out at work, which is a plus. I work around many older IT people and they see a cell phone out they give you a dirty look (then go back to wasting time pretending to work.)

That doesn't require the Apple Watch though.

Interfectum

I think that's just it, isn't it. The watch is a tough sell - it's like all those people that resisted getting a smart phone, or getting a cell phone at all before that, claiming "what can it do for me?" Or "I done need it".... The arguments come off as anecdotal.

I dunno, I really want one and I'm sure I will find utility of my own, but it's Kind of a hard convince...

Yeah it's a hard sell for sure... I think everyone will find different uses for it and some might find it a colossal waste of money.

Personally I got it for the notifications and running but I'm slowly finding a lot of different uses for it. Even when running, now I can completely tuck away my phone and simply use my wrist for changing songs on my phone, checking heart rate, mileage, etc. I even made a phone call with it the other day while in the car and the person on the other end had no idea I was using my watch. To them it sounded as clear as a phone. Pretty crazy imo.

LCfiner

Nothing about a smart watch - for most people - is about need.

It's about convenience. If that's enough for you, try it out. But your expectations should be in check. I like my Apple Watch and appreciate some parts of it quite a bit (notifications, timers, weather forecasts easier to access) but I know that it's just an easier way to access stuff from my phone or laptop.

If you can buy it local and return it easily, I say go for it. If a refund would be a pain, then maybe hold off until you find some use case where you'd find It more useful.

Red

I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch for my wife's birthday. Anyone know if there are cheaper alternative to the new Hermes double band? I think it looks great and it suits her style, but $1200+ is way out of the price range. I need to keep the watch and band all within $500.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch for my wife's birthday. Anyone know if there are cheaper alternative to the new Hermes double band? I think it looks great and it suits her style, but $1200+ is way out of the price range. I need to keep the watch and band all within $500.

Here's one. Or get an adapter (e.g. click) and look for a traditional double wrap watch strap to insert into it.

LCfiner

none yet. Just get the aluminum model, whatever color is preferred and then get a double tour band later. there will be chinese homages for sure, but i have not seen any now.

You can always get a decent saddle leather brown band and lug adapters for under 50. buuuut, the adapters out now don’t yet match the two anodized aluminum gold options - just in case that was what you had planned to get.

your budget of 500 is, sadly, a bit low for fancy apple watch gear (see all stainless steel model pricing…). apple is charging a lot for their bands. so i say just get one of the (nice, imo) gold coloured aluminum models now and wait for matching lug and band options down the line.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, but I meant the double-length Hermes band, which wraps around the wrist twice instead of just splitting down the middle. I don't think there are any imitations.
I have a collection of swatch sport watches with the double length band. Those bands are awesome. That Hermes one is equally off the hook.

I want double length sport bands to emulate the look of my old swatches.

Red

none yet. Just get the aluminum model, whatever color is preferred and then get a double tour band later. there will be chinese homages for sure, but i have not seen any now.

You can always get a decent saddle leather brown band and lug adapters for under 50. buuuut, the adapters out now don’t yet match the two anodized aluminum gold options - just in case that was what you had planned to get.

your budget of 500 is, sadly, a bit low for fancy apple watch gear (see all stainless steel model pricing…). apple is charging a lot for their bands. so i say just get one of the (nice, imo) gold coloured aluminum models now and wait for matching lug and band options down the line.
I'd get aluminum rose gold. Thanks for the advice.

ZeroX03

Banned
So how is the Apple Watch experience looking with the upcoming OS update? I swore to myself I would wait until 2nd gen because it's always a huge upgrade, but I'll have some money burning a hole in my pocket soon and I'm weak. So very weak. And my 6S will want a partner.

Blackhead

Redarse
A Humble Proposition: How to Fix the Apple Watch

David Pogue said:
Problem 1: A strange mental map
cT4NO3p.jpg

Problem 2: Mismatched emphasis

Problem 3: The hidden Home screen

So here’s the fix
ZRI6Lcw.jpg
I'm guessing Pogue only uses an AppleWatch...

Thanks, but I meant the double-length Hermes band, which wraps around the wrist twice instead of just splitting down the middle. I don't think there are any imitations.

That Rebecca Minkoff is the same style I think. Here are more pictures:

ZeroX03

Banned
My wrist is 190mm. Tried the large 38mm sports band print out and it barely fit around my wrist. I'm pretty much forced to get the 42mm model aren't I?

jts

...hate me...
I think next month the Apple Watch will finally be released here. Only had to wait half a year.

Still decided on getting it, so lads do you prefer the blue sports band or the new orange one?

cjp

I've got iOS 9 running on my iPhone 5 and 1.0.1 on my Watch. I've just looked in my Activity app on the phone and noticed that past workouts (pre iOS 9) are no longer listed.

It still shows the correct calorie, exercise and stand data (so the workout data must still be there somewhere + they're listed in the Health app) but I can no longer click on the actual workout record itself for detailed info.

I had a short bike ride yesterday which is displayed and, curiously enough, also displayed in KM instead of miles which must be new as it's usually always been miles and I haven't altered anything myself.

I did a straight OTA update to iOS 9 so I shouldn't have lost any data in the process, and like I said, it still shows the correct calorie and exercise levels so the data hasn't been completely lost.

Any ideas? Anyone else's like this?

Is it maybe because the phone is now on 9 and the Watch on 1 but it needs 2?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
any third party bands geared toward the gold/rose gold sport editions? My wife wants one of the two and is hoping for more band choice than just "different color sport band".

mixed lugs not an option for her :p

ZeroX03

Banned
In the M/L config it should fit up to 200mm.
Of course you can swap bands easily. No need to use the default.

http://www.apple.com/shop/watch/sizing-guide

Yeah I tried a print out of M/L and it was just fitting on what would be the last clip. Doesn't seem comfortable. And a lot of the other bands don't fit up to 190mm either. Think better safe than sorry. Not really a fan of the default midnight blue band so I'll have to buy another one anyway...

Top Bottom