• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

I'm pretty bummed that Watch OS2 didn't meet it's date. I understand completely, but darn, I was really looking forward to it!

I'm not surprised. I am working on an Apple Watch product and the ability to properly deploy WatchOS2 apps has been borked all through XCode 7 Beta and wasn't fixed in GM. XCode 7.1 apparently has fixes but since that is Beta as well it feels like who knows when we will get proper support.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got my black leather loop band today, shipped from China. Looks good. Feels good. Cost 35 bucks and not 150 bucks.

Got it from a recommendation in a Reddit Apple Watch pinned thread. Turned out to be from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251993979977

Love it.

Have the Apple brand Milanese loop and the sports band it came with it.
Kinda want to try one of these... I'm cursors about their 38mm loop since Apple only sells the 42mm version.

Dumb question but do I need to worry about the strapping falling off the watch? A lot of times I'm flinging my watch out into traffic on my arm as I signal while cycling. I always picture my modern buckle coming unhooked and my watch falling to the street.

dc89

I really want an Apple Watch. The urge has come on strong and I don't know why.
42mm stainless steel with white sport band. Hnnnng.

jts

...hate me...
At this point, I'm waiting for the Apple Watch 2 to see what it, and its corresponding OS update, entails.
Seems like the big Watch OS updates will come halfway into the hardware life though, unless Apple corrects that.

Of course, in any case surely new hardware will be at the least accompanied by a smaller software update and extended feature support.

Kinda want to try one of these... I'm cursors about their 38mm loop since Apple only sells the 42mm version.

Dumb question but do I need to worry about the strapping falling off the watch? A lot of times I'm flinging my watch out into traffic on my arm as I signal while cycling. I always picture my modern buckle coming unhooked and my watch falling to the street.

Not sure, but the magnet seems strong enough. Just as strong as my Apple brand milanese loop. Should be okay.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Eeesh install says over an hour. My watch won't connect to my Wifi ATM.. is it taking so long because it has to ttransfer everything over bluetooth?

SuperPac

Seems to be a couple updates hitting the app store now - OmniFocus, Dark Sky, CARROT Weather, WebMD.

Of those I have OmniFocus and Dark Sky actually on my watch.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Does Watch OS2 require iOS9? If so I'll have to wait until my 6S gets here on Friday to experience the newness, which I'm fine with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to be a couple updates hitting the app store now - OmniFocus, Dark Sky, CARROT Weather, WebMD.

Of those I have OmniFocus and Dark Sky actually on my watch.

Hmm. I never paid for the update to omnifocus since the faux apps were all so slow but now I might check it out.

Just chanked my second hand from purple to vintage rose. Lookin' fresh as hell.

Lots of very minor changes. So far this is a very exciting update!!

Poetaster

Banned
Does Watch OS2 require iOS9? If so I'll have to wait until my 6S gets here on Friday to experience the newness, which I'm fine with.
It does. My download is going horribly slow. It's said 1 day to download and it hasn't budged past this tiny chunk in over an hour. :(

Majine

Banned
I wished they waited with the Watch until they had watchOS2 done.

I fear now a large majority of devs will go "Watch app? CHECKMARKED!" and don't bother making them native.

:eek:

I worded that wrong. I meant how does the locking mecanism that secures the strap to the watch seem? no worry of it perhaps coming off?

Oh, not at all. It's just as strong as the Apple brand bands for locking mechanism. I've had the band since Friday I think and it wears really well. Completely happy with it. Maybe Apple might make a better quality leather loop, but let's face it, the gross profit on these bands for Apple is enormous. This really feels like quality.

Lol, Apple, not THAT many people bought your watch, so why is the update slower than molasses? I'm at a quarter downloaded, and it has never said anything other than 'One hour remaining' since I started. Anyone with the OS2 update, are there some new watch faces? I know about 3rd party complications, but what is the first thing I should do when this pain in the ass finally downloads and installs?

Blackhead

Redarse
Lol, Apple, not THAT many people bought your watch, so why is the update slower than molasses? I'm at a quarter downloaded, and it has never said anything other than 'One hour remaining' since I started. Anyone with the OS2 update, are there some new watch faces? I know about 3rd party complications, but what is the first thing I should do when this pain in the ass finally downloads and installs?

There are two new watch faces but you'll still want to use one of the old watchfaces with more spots for complications.

By the way, anybody with the gold or rose gold sport watch? Do you have the option for the gold chronograph watchface already available for the Edition watches?
EkMU8iJ.jpg

Okay , Apple really needs to fix this. It paused my download because the Apple Watch app 'thinks' the phone isn't connected to wifi. I fixed it by going airplane mode but before that, I could browse to any site.

Thanks for the tips on complications.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Might not be what it is, but make sure your Watch is connected to wifi. I had originally started it and it said 2 hours and didn't budge, but I checked my router and the watch was not on my network. So after some reboots it was connected via wifi and then only took like 20 minutes.

.. could have been coincidence but also might not be.

Update is great so far!

Blackhead

Redarse
argh, downloading took an hour then got stuck in the verifying stage. rebooting applewatch now (10 mins+ is that unusual?!) and will try again

edit: the reboot switched to installing the update and I was non the wiser lol. Finally have watch OS2 so I'm switching from the Simple watch face which has been my default since getting the watch to the Utility Modular one. I have to ask: is it possible to get an analog time complication instead of the digital one?

So this is odd. I was on the WatchOS 2 GM for the past few weeks and it ran pretty well. There was a 12.5 mb update today when the public version of WatchOS 2 launched to the public that I assume was just to update whatever the critical bug was that they found. The thing that worries me is that I just got an alert on my Watch saying that I've only got 10% battery left. I've never gone to be with like less than 40%, which I am at least 3 hours from. Has anyone else run into crazy battery drain? Hopefully it is just a one time thing, I really hope OS 2 didn't introduce some crazy battery drain bug.

Edit: Now down to 6% 3 minutes later...

Blackhead

Redarse
How to Wear Your Apple Watch 24/7 via Macstories

Macstories said:
David Smith has released a new app called Sleep++, which uses the Apple Watch to track your sleep. To wear a Watch at night, though, Smith had to figure out a way to charge it quickly during the day.

He ran some tests, and the results are interesting:

I have been tracking my sleep every night for a couple of months now so I’ve learned a few strategies to make this work pretty well.

The TL/DR is to charge your Apple Watch in the morning while you get ready for your day (take a shower, get dressed, etc) and then again in the evening while you get ready for bed (brush teeth, put on pajamas, etc). Then put your Apple Watch in Airplane Mode while you sleep.​
I can't wait to try Sleep++ with this method (which also happens to be used by other cool people).
hmmm

Ninja Dom

So this is odd. I was on the WatchOS 2 GM for the past few weeks and it ran pretty well. There was a 12.5 mb update today when the public version of WatchOS 2 launched to the public that I assume was just to update whatever the critical bug was that they found. The thing that worries me is that I just got an alert on my Watch saying that I've only got 10% battery left. I've never gone to be with like less than 40%, which I am at least 3 hours from. Has anyone else run into crazy battery drain? Hopefully it is just a one time thing, I really hope OS 2 didn't introduce some crazy battery drain bug.

Edit: Now down to 6% 3 minutes later...

Only now that I've read your post but at the weekend I left the Watch on it's charger but the charger was off (no electricity going into it). I looked and saw I was on10%. This was odd because it was as I was going to bed and I normally go to bed at around 40-50% battery. I didn't think anything of it.

That was this weekend gone, I was still on watchOS 1.0.1

SeanR1221

I quite like the band shown in this video @ 4:40. Some inconsistent Amazon reviews though.

You could always get one of the adapters and throw your own leather band on.

Only problem with your own bands, when there's a spring bar in there that can't easily be removed.

I ran into this and just shoved the connector in with the spring bar.

Is there any way to view the following month in the Watch's Calendar app? I don't think there is, because I've tried every form of input I could think of to see the following month. I was hoping this would be addressed in Watch OS2, but it hasn't (or I am missing something).

Is there any way to view the following month in the Watch's Calendar app? I don't think there is, because I've tried every form of input I could think of to see the following month. I was hoping this would be addressed in Watch OS2, but it hasn't (or I am missing something).

The feature request was noted by Apple, but it's not in this release.

Pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom