• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

robotrock

Banned
Any cool native Apple Watch apps yet? I realize that Watch OS2 only came out yesterday, but I wanna try something!

Also any ideas on what's the best Apple Watch Hue Lights app?

Phreaker

Holy crap, you're not kidding! It's showing double the amount of exercise I would have normally performed by this point in the day.

Hmm, not mine, says 1 min and I'm leaving work (so I haven't exercised at all today). So far I like watchOS2

The only regret I have about buying Apple Watch is that I didn't get the stainless steel one, but I couldn't justify the price. I'll definitely get that version next time. I've been wearing the Space Gray Sport with the black leather loop band from Apple. The rubber band always felt moist underneath and I couldn't get used to it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the green ring does fill a lot quicker. I used to only clear it when I'd ride a bike or jog.

Wow, the green ring does fill a lot quicker. I used to only clear it when I'd ride a bike or jog.

Mine just lapped itself three times, and the red circle is only 3/4 full. Something is definitely off, as the most exercise I got was walking around the office.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mine just lapped itself three times, and the red circle is only 3/4 full. Something is definitely off, as the most exercise I got was walking around the office.
I know. Today is a deliberately lazy day for me. All I've done is go to lunch.

Ninja Dom

Just ordered a new iPhone, I'm going to have to re-do the entire set up process for my Watch right?

I got a 6S coming this Friday and because of the Watch I'm going to put my existing backup of my current iPhone 6 on the new iPhone.

Normally, every year I start my new iPhone fresh with no previous backup. I just sign into iCloud and that's it. But now I've got the Watch, and it took me ages to set it the exact way I want it, I'm gonna put my current iPhone backup onto the new iPhone.

I've already done this before as I got my iPhone 6 replaced by Apple last month. Once you restore the iPhone from your backup you go into the Watch app on your iPhone and can then restore the Watch from the same backup too.

I've not been too impressed with OS2, but I also recognize a lot of its benefits are going to lie in the developers' hands.

However, I did have an "A-Ha!" moment this morning. I dictated a text on my watch via "Hey, Siri" and when it relayed if the text was correct on the watch face I only had "Don't Send" as an option. Whereas before you had to confirm/deny the sending of the text (if I remember correctly), now if you don't do anything it sends the text. This new action is more appropriate for the Watch's design and functions.

SuperPac

I've not been too impressed with OS2, but I also recognize a lot of its benefits are going to lie in the developers' hands.

However, I did have an "A-Ha!" moment this morning. I dictated a text on my watch via "Hey, Siri" and when it relayed if the text was correct on the watch face I only had "Don't Send" as an option. Whereas before you had to confirm/deny the sending of the text (if I remember correctly), now if you don't do anything it sends the text. This new action is more appropriate for the Watch's design and functions.

Yeah I like that. Took me a minute to figure out that if you did nothing or hit the button on the digital crown it sent the message. But it's nice. :) I dictate a lot more texts now that I did before because the amount of interaction needed is very minimal.

Red

So Tmobile's new Watch deal is pretty rad, but it sucks that it's limited to 203 stores. I'm seriously considering a round trip ticket to Chicago this weekend. The closest store with the payment deal is six hours away, but it's only an hour and a half flight. I would leave Friday at 5 and return Saturday morning. But who knows if there will even still be any in stock. Only three stores in Chicago will be selling it.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't know if it's due to watchOS2 or iOS 9.0.1 but now my Watch app/notification doesn't get the whole message quickly and/or completely :( Anyone else experiencing this:
4cdvZQz.png

Also share a picture of your watchface!
I'm leaving the middle blank for now. Calendar was too colorful and I'm don't know what else I want there yet. moon phase and sunrise will be switched once I find more useful third party complications

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I think the new version does make sense, but I sent the same text message three times in a row yesterday going like "WHAT THE FUCK WHY ISNT IT SENDING"

Ninja Dom

Got to say, after updating to watchOS 2.0, I've done nothing different on my Watch. I haven't seen any new good apps. How do you change the colours of the different complications now on the watch faces?

Also is anybody using the time lapse watch faces?

Got to say, after updating to watchOS 2.0, I've done nothing different on my Watch. I haven't seen any new good apps. How do you change the colours of the different complications now on the watch faces?

When the girlfriend asks me what the weather is going to be like later today.

Except today when the weathernetwork app told me I had to choose a location on my phone before it would tell me the... fuck this shit I did that yesterday.

LCfiner

the time travel feature with a weather complication is an excellent addition for me.

I wish I could add more modules to the photos/timelapse watch faces.. But it looks like you can only have one module with those faces?

The exercise readings are insane. I broke an all time record yesterday for exercise thus kinda putting a blemish on achievements. I really hope they correct this or explain what they tweaked.

HomeKit through Siri + FaceTime Audio through the Watch are the biggest new features for me so far with 2.0. The overly zealous exercise ring is the biggest annoyance.

Blackhead

Redarse
living a little bit more simply. going back to a traditional (not an expensive swiss) watch.

iPhone 6 will going on sale next week… also selling some speakers and other stuff locally.

Whoa! You're selling your Macbook and iPhone too; going the full paul miller? I'd love to hear your reasons and/or experiences after. Good luck

LCfiner

Whoa! You're selling your Macbook and iPhone too; going the full paul miller? I'd love to hear your reasons and/or experiences after. Good luck

nah, not going full Paul Miller :) just going down to stuff more suited to my needs. i.e.: used Mac mini and smaller iPhone 5s with less storage. basic watch that tells time and date. that kind of stuff.

I’m not going to live in the woods, just focus on spending my money where it’ll have more impact (e.g.: travel)

Bgamer90

Banned
I just got one. I was very critical of it during its reveal (as well as during the recent Apple conferecne just a few weeks ago) but I really like it. I wanted a new dress watch. I then thought "I might as well get an Apple Watch".

Not having to take out my iPhone 6 Plus to view notifications is convenient though I'm more impressed with how well some apps work/look on such a small screen (e.g.: Twitter).

jts

...hate me...
The Apple Watch is finally announced to be selling here by the 9th of October.

But since things are never that easy, now sweet deals on ebay for the AW are popping up, both new and used.

Like a Sport 42mm space grey new for 350€ (for reference, buying it from the Apple Store will run me down 480€). Although I don’t want the space grey one.

Or I can aim for a stainless steel.

Decisions, decisions.

But I’m happy that next month I’ll finally be getting this thing :D

LCfiner

well, i chickened out and didn’t sell the watch outright. Someone local wanted to trade so i got a space black sport model 42mm plus 300 cash.

In the end, I appreciated the notifications and other bits and bobs too much to lose the watch entirely. I had it off for 5 days straight and wanted it back.

I feel better about having the black sport model, though. better balance of utility vs price for me.

Ninja Dom

How do you get Live Photos to play on the Watch? I've got the Live Photo in the Photos app, the Watch displays the photo and the Live Photo logo is on the photo. But I can't get it to "play". Do I have to set the Live Photo as a watch face before it will play?

Kinda surprised at the lack of apps with custom complications. I figured there'd be a lot more at launch.

After almost two weeks with the watch I'm still mainly using it as a quick glanceable information screen. And I honestly don't mind that one bit. I just haven't really found any third-party apps super useful yet.

Ninja Dom

Kinda surprised at the lack of apps with custom complications. I figured there'd be a lot more at launch.

After almost two weeks with the watch I'm still mainly using it as a quick glanceable information screen. And I honestly don't mind that one bit. I just haven't really found any third-party apps super useful yet.

I've had the Watch since June and still use pretty much the same 3 or 4 third party apps from back then. I've not seen any new standout apps since 2.0.

Phreaker

Had it since launch and feel the same. I use it for a companion to my phone - notifications, time, activity tracker/reminder, weather. :)

mrkgoo

I'm loving my Apple Watch.

A couple things:

1) People are always asking for a reason why the watch is necessary... why one would NEED a watch. I've found that this is sort of a red herring. You don't NEED it...but that's totally fine.

In today's life style a phone and computer does seem like you need them (and I don't mean strictly need for survival, of course, just to go about your daily lives), so people are wondering how watch fits and elevates to that level. It doesn't.

But when you think about it, why should it, and do you really WANT that? To have another device that you can't live without and need to upgrade every couple years? I'm totally happy with what the watch can do, and that it may be expendable to my life style is totally fine by me.

2) People were saying in reviews that the Apple Watch was too un-focussed and tried to do too many things, tried to BE too many things, and typically described as "un-Apple". I've found the opposite to be true.

The watch does a few things, but actually doesn't do that much more than the core services at what it's aiming to be, which is an accessory screen or extension to your phone, being a "use for seconds at a time" device vs for minutes like a phone.

It actually doesn't do a whole lot of things, it just a does a few pretty well.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^

nice little write up but

2) People were saying in reviews that the Apple Watch was too un-focussed and tried to do too many things, tried to BE too many things, and typically described as "un-Apple". I've found the opposite to be true.

... how many times a day do you send people your heartbeat and animated emojis? Serious question. Is anybody using those things?

The heartbeat and emote stuff is just developer fluff.

It was a case of 'this watch doesn't actually do much at the minute, is there any gimmicky stuff we can throw in here for launch'.

mrkgoo

^^^

nice little write up but

... how many times a day do you send people your heartbeat and animated emojis? Serious question. Is anybody using those things?

Not at all.

But as mentioend it's fluff. I wasn't meaning it was without fluff, but the device isn't trying to BE a bunch of different things. Like it has an actual focus, which covers a few things, but not a huge range. It also does have fluff with some nods and abilities to do a few fluffy things, like say connect to phone as a sort of GPS navigation watch, but it is very obviously not trying to be one.

Top Bottom