• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
^^^

nice little write up but

... how many times a day do you send people your heartbeat and animated emojis? Serious question. Is anybody using those things?
I send animated emoji all day everyday Holmes. 👊🏽

Blackhead

Redarse
I send animated emoji all day everyday Holmes. 👊🏽

FZPIXuD.gif

I don't know if I pleased or perplexed that Apple didn't add animated emoji with 3DTouch on the iPhone 6s/+

Second-gen Apple Watch likely to wait until mid- to late 2016 - report

A second-generation Apple Watch is predicted no earlier than mid-2016, and will likely feature a thinner size and better performance, according to a Cowen and Company research memo based on a recent tour of Asian suppliers.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-report?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wouldn't surprise if they announce it next September and have that event be the big new iOS related hardware every year.

Caved and got the Milanese loop for my 42 MM Space Grey Sport today. I had been rocking a sport band to this point and I really like the change so far. Price is dumb but I didn't like the look of the third party ones quite as much as Apple's.

I'm still pissy about the cheaper model of space grey stainless but whatever.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. So far off for a device that could use a gen 2. Oh well. Mid-to-late 2016 would at least mean it'll be all the bigger of an upgrade.
I wouldn't be surprised if the internal hardware refreshed slower than their other products, but the bands/colors etc cycle more frequently.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watchos2 has been a noticeably more sluggish in my experience.

I notice that the UI freezes but commands still go through. Siri is very strange. The device is sluggish in its feedback, but the commands seem to work well enough. The watch UI just seizes while whatever happens in the background.

LCfiner

I notice that the UI freezes but commands still go through. Siri is very strange. The device is sluggish in its feedback, but the commands seem to work well enough. The watch UI just seizes while whatever happens in the background.

I think this might be some weird bug in the upgrade for some watches.

I had a SS watch, upgraded to os2 - it ran fine.

i traded it for a space grey sport that the previous owner had upgraded to os2. it ran more slowly and the battery life was draining more quickly (for 3 days it was like this - not just after the first sync)

i erased the watch and started fresh (did not use backup) and it appears to be faster and smoother. early battery life indications are that it’s back to normal.

Ninja Dom

Ugh. So far off for a device that could use a gen 2. Oh well. Mid-to-late 2016 would at least mean it'll be all the bigger of an upgrade.

What upgrades would it need? A camera? I can't see (yet) how an Watch with a camera could look good. The Samsung smart watches with camera look awful.

Yup, I'm feeling the same way. A few stutters and hiccups. Especially when pressing the Digital Crown o go back to the standard watch function, it can miss a few frames of the animation out.

And where are the OS 2 apps? I went through the Watch apps on the App Store yesterday on my iPhone (in the Watch app) and there's nothing there.

tmdorsey

Thinner, battery life, appreciable CPU/GPU improvements.

Isn't the trend in watches right now in regards to style thicker as opposed to thinner?

Personally, unless the resell market is good (which I fear it won't be) I'm not in any hurry to upgrade my watch, other than buying bands.

jts

...hate me...
Eh... Watch being a bit buggy and laggy on OS 2 puts me on the fence. Fearing an iPad 1 type of situation.

No optimized apps doesn’t help things either.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I might reformat my watch and defrag its hard drive later the .

I think this might be some weird bug in the upgrade for some watches.

I had a SS watch, upgraded to os2 - it ran fine.

i traded it for a space grey sport that the previous owner had upgraded to os2. it ran more slowly and the battery life was draining more quickly (for 3 days it was like this - not just after the first sync)

i erased the watch and started fresh (did not use backup) and it appears to be faster and smoother. early battery life indications are that it’s back to normal.

In my personal experience, the Windows strategy of nuke and pave between upgrades seems to work here.

WatchOS 2 works fine on my Apple Watch Sport, with a grand total of one app (Pro Metronome) and a fairly lightweight configuration besides.

alvmew

Has anyone's battery tanked in the last couple of days?

I switched over to the OS 2 GM as soon as it was out, and everything was running well. When the general release came out, my phone would not get rid of the little notification to update to that one, so I did it on Saturday. Ran fine over the weekend, but yesterday and today, my battery has been draining like crazy. Still the same amount of use as always, but I keep going down to like 50% with maybe like 4 hours of use and it is driving me insane. ;_;

Ninja Dom

Have you restarted the watch? I have that once a month and restarting the watch resolves it.

Gonna restart mine right now to see if the stuttering on OS 2 clears up.

Man the Watch OS 2 update process is awful. Just wanted to say it again.

Updating Watch is the most painful of all of Apple's current devices to update. Done through the iPhone, iPhone must be on latest software, iPhone sends update to Watch, Watch must be on charge, etc.

alvmew

Have you restarted the watch? I have that once a month and restarting the watch resolves it.

I have, a few times actually. Even turned off the brightness and did whatever I could figure to help, but nothing is. Giving this until the end of the week to clear up and then I'll likely just go to an Apple Store. Ugh.

Blackhead

Redarse
Gonna restart mine right now to see if the stuttering on OS 2 clears up.

Did that work out for you? I'm loathe to lose my activity data and settings but I'm considering erasing and repairing my Apple Wafch. The 'Mail notifications+app went from the most stable useful Watch feature to a buggy mess with watchOS2 (and iOS9?) :(

jts

...hate me...
Did that work out for you? I'm loathe to lose my activity data and settings but I'm considering erasing and repairing my Apple Wafch. The 'Mail notifications+app went from the most stable useful Watch feature to a buggy mess with watchOS2 (and iOS9?) :(
Doesn't the activity data sync to the phone app at least, if not to iCloud?

Ninja Dom

It's pretty good actually. Not quite as stuttery as before. Not perfect but better.

ZeroX03

Banned
Actually got to try both sizes of Apple Watch today. The 38mm technically fit but it was to the limit of the sport band and wasn't that comfortable. Whereas the 42mm was very comfortable and fit snugly. Guess that makes my decision for me. Now for bands.

I enjoyed my Fitbit Charge long enough to know I liked the call awareness feature and that I wanted more from a watch. So I've been looking at the Apple Watch sport because it also tracks HR as well as works with my 6 Plus phone. My issue is I can't seem to find a good discount on the thing. Any ideas?

kaskade

Well, my sport band needs to be replaced. The middle piece that clips the band into place fell apart so now it just slides freely. I'm sure they won't have a problem replacing it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really starting to think there might be something to the installation having caused my issues.

My watch has been pretty frustrating the last few days. Lots of awkward UI freezing all over the place. The now playing screen wont update info, etc. The new reply to text screen with the dots at the bottom is fugly ass bullshit as well.

Also, I've noticed that on the audio control glance theyve removed the current time and have replaced it with the current source app in text form that runs off the screen. Lame as hell. IMO. Gonna be a few days before I have time to wipe and reinstall my watch, hoping it fixes things.

Gonna pick up the lilac sports band soon, I think its instock at the local store.

Blackhead

Redarse
BBM app lands on Apple Watch before WhatsApp and
Tweetbot

headline says it all really. third party clients are still lacking. begging for a native twitter apps that loads up a full tweet from a notification. I'm back to my simple watchface with no complications.

Doesn't the activity data sync to the phone app at least, if not to iCloud?
all the Health stuff is not saved iirc because Apple said security reasons no?
It's pretty good actually. Not quite as stuttery as before. Not perfect but better.

hmm... tempted

japtor

I enjoyed my Fitbit Charge long enough to know I liked the call awareness feature and that I wanted more from a watch. So I've been looking at the Apple Watch sport because it also tracks HR as well as works with my 6 Plus phone. My issue is I can't seem to find a good discount on the thing. Any ideas?
It's still relatively new I guess, so the best bet would be used (or failed scalpers) on eBay or Craiglist maybe? Otherwise keep an eye on the regular stores it's been rolling out to like Best Buy and Target and such. Apple probably won't do any deals but those guys might have something randomly.
Also, I've noticed that on the audio control glance theyve removed the current time and have replaced it with the current source app in text form that runs off the screen. Lame as hell. IMO. Gonna be a few days before I have time to wipe and reinstall my watch, hoping it fixes things.
The time should be there, unless maybe the app name (in the top right corner) is long enough to push it off I guess?
I don't have any twitter client installed on my Watch, and I'm not sure I really need one.
Longer/more useful notifications or an app would be nice like actually seeing replies and stuff vs "@whoever replied to your tweet!". Same goes for Facebook, don't really care for browsing the timeline or whatever but it'd be nice to see details on the crap it notifies me about.
Does anyone have a Milanese band on a space grey sport watch? If so, how do you like it?
I have it on space black (although my usual wear is just a white sports band), not exactly the same thing but I like mine. It depends on how you feel about contrasts like that though, it's not for everyone. As a Raider fan I'm all about the silver and black.

Apple now sells 'Made for Apple Watch' lugs for 3rd party band manufacturers.

Apple Watch Lugs - 38mm (25 sets)
Price Per Unit: $11.15 USD
Package Price: $278.75 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 38mm (200 sets)
Price Per Unit: $9.18 USD
Package Price: $1,836.00 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 42mm (25 sets)
Price Per Unit: $11.33 USD
Package Price: $283.25 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 42mm (200 sets)
Price Per Unit: $9.33 USD
Package Price: $1,866.00 USD

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/05/made-for-apple-watch-lugs-avnet/

Would like to buy a couple, but not 25 :/

It's still relatively new I guess, so the best bet would be used (or failed scalpers) on eBay or Craiglist maybe? Otherwise keep an eye on the regular stores it's been rolling out to like Best Buy and Target and such. Apple probably won't do any deals but those guys might have something randomly.

I ended up using a Best Buy 10% off coupon via the movers deal. I showed up in the apple section carrying my son on my shoulders and wearing a cut off shirt. The one guy assigned to the section ignored me and went to the guy dressed in a dress shirt, slacks, and shoes. That guy was asking questions about a mac book he had bought online and the store guy was taking forever to answer the questions. I stand close enough that he finally looks down at me and says "Someone will be with you in just a second." I look right back at him and say, "Who?" The well dressed man said he could wait and I pointed out the watch I wanted to buy. I show him the coupon only to get more attitude, "I don't think this will work." I tell him, "Let's let the computer reject me then." He scans it, it goes through, and his reply is, "It must be your lucky day." I couldn't let it slide and it wasn't like he could spit on my food so I finished up with, "Or I researched it ahead of time and knew it would work. We could go with that."

The over all buying experience? 1/10. I wouldn't be there if not for the discount.

The watch it's self? It's doing everything I wanted it to do. It's even surprising me as well.

Mobius 1

Apple now sells 'Made for Apple Watch' lugs for 3rd party band manufacturers.

Apple Watch Lugs - 38mm (25 sets)
Price Per Unit: $11.15 USD
Package Price: $278.75 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 38mm (200 sets)
Price Per Unit: $9.18 USD
Package Price: $1,836.00 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 42mm (25 sets)
Price Per Unit: $11.33 USD
Package Price: $283.25 USD

Apple Watch Lugs - 42mm (200 sets)
Price Per Unit: $9.33 USD
Package Price: $1,866.00 USD

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/05/made-for-apple-watch-lugs-avnet/

Would like to buy a couple, but not 25 :/

Good, because the ones on my 3rd party band are fucking rubbish, and keep clicking around. Almost makes me confuse them for taptic feedback.

I ended up using a Best Buy 10% off coupon via the movers deal. I showed up in the apple section carrying my son on my shoulders and wearing a cut off shirt. The one guy assigned to the section ignored me and went to the guy dressed in a dress shirt, slacks, and shoes. That guy was asking questions about a mac book he had bought online and the store guy was taking forever to answer the questions. I stand close enough that he finally looks down at me and says "Someone will be with you in just a second." I look right back at him and say, "Who?" The well dressed man said he could wait and I pointed out the watch I wanted to buy. I show him the coupon only to get more attitude, "I don't think this will work." I tell him, "Let's let the computer reject me then." He scans it, it goes through, and his reply is, "It must be your lucky day." I couldn't let it slide and it wasn't like he could spit on my food so I finished up with, "Or I researched it ahead of time and knew it would work. We could go with that."

The over all buying experience? 1/10. I wouldn't be there if not for the discount.

The watch it's self? It's doing everything I wanted it to do. It's even surprising me as well.
I would've made quite the ruckus with management. I loathe Best Buy, even more so because I moonlighted there for two years. I know how scummy the company is, but I also know how fierce Corporate/Upper Management push sales. To have a report of one of their employees doing this to a customer? It certainly wouldn't go unpunished.

fill out a review from the URL on the receipt

Ninja Dom

Dammi!

I got a light scratch on my Sport model I got in June. You can't feel it with my fingernail but at the right lighting angle it's visible. I've tried buffing it out but no joy. No clue how it happened.

Dammi!

I got a light scratch on my Sport model I got in June. You can't feel it with my fingernail but at the right lighting angle it's visible. I've tried buffing it out but no joy. No clue how it happened.
That happened to me over the summer. I was a little bummed about it, but I got over it by realizing it'd be the first of many. The thing is always on the wrist, completely open to banging or clutzing on something.

Also, I got Apple Care+ with my watch, so if nothing else I can always do something to it and pay for a replacement.

cjp

On a scale of 1-10, how much of a tool would I be for wearing both the Apple Watch and Microsoft Band?

Oh, and the new look Siri dictation thing in Messages is repulsive. Cannot understand why they changed it. Especially when they changed the iPhone Siri to match the rest of the Watch. Feels so inconsistent and jarring to look at.

I am giving some thought to selling my 42mm space grey with black sports band iwatch. I just dont use it like I thought I would. Any idea what to ask for it? I have wore it like twice, and it is in perfect condition... no scratches or anything...

Any ideas what to ask for it?

DOWN

Banned
I am giving some thought to selling my 42mm space grey with black sports band iwatch. I just dont use it like I thought I would. Any idea what to ask for it? I have wore it like twice, and it is in perfect condition... no scratches or anything...

Any ideas what to ask for it?
Here's a hot tip:

Want to know what your item is worth? Go to eBay, click Advanced Search, type in your item and check the box to only show Sold Listings

Now you know what people actually pay for that item without having to trust those trade-in sites or guess it.

Here's a hot tip:

Want to know what your item is worth? Go to eBay, click Advanced Search, type in your item and check the box to only show Sold Listings

Now you know what people actually pay for that item without having to trust those trade-in sites or guess it.

lol... never even thought of that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Here's a hot tip:

Truth, I do this for almost anything I sell.

Of course if you were feeling generous you could always sell on GAF with a good guy discount.

I wish the AUD to USD exchange rate wasn't so terrible.

japtor

On a scale of 1-10, how much of a tool would I be for wearing both the Apple Watch and Microsoft Band?

Oh, and the new look Siri dictation thing in Messages is repulsive. Cannot understand why they changed it. Especially when they changed the iPhone Siri to match the rest of the Watch. Feels so inconsistent and jarring to look at.
Can’t help much with the tool scale but I'd guess on the higher end, but some people wear a bunch of bracelets fine so who knows.

And yeah the new dictation thing is ugly...but it does match the iPhone, they uglified the dictation thing there too. Siri on both has the fancy look, dictation on both is the lines.

Oh almost forgot why I was going to post. My battery went to hell the other day, like power reserve in the middle of the afternoon. Unpaired and restored the watch, didn’t seem to help. Figured it was the phone at that point and restarted that and has been fine since. The only thing out of the ordinary that I saw was an app seemingly reinstalling itself (old app, no updates or anything) after the phone restart, so I’m guessing something got jacked up with app syncing and got stuck in a battery sucking loop.

cjp

Can’t help much with the tool scale but I'd guess on the higher end, but some people wear a bunch of bracelets fine so who knows.

And yeah the new dictation thing is ugly...but it does match the iPhone, they uglified the dictation thing there too. Siri on both has the fancy look, dictation on both is the lines.

Oh almost forgot why I was going to post. My battery went to hell the other day, like power reserve in the middle of the afternoon. Unpaired and restored the watch, didn’t seem to help. Figured it was the phone at that point and restarted that and has been fine since. The only thing out of the ordinary that I saw was an app seemingly reinstalling itself (old app, no updates or anything) after the phone restart, so I’m guessing something got jacked up with app syncing and got stuck in a battery sucking loop.

Huh, you're right, so they did. Still, wish they just used the normal Siri waveform thing.

Top Bottom