• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Australian here. Tried on a 38 and 42 Milanese. 38 and 42 space grey sport and 38 steel link.

I've got small wrists so 38 looked much better. It still kinda does look like a thing on top of your wrist as opposed to a traditional watch.

Sport finish is quite nice in the flesh. Steel link looked great on display but not so much on the wrist (wasn't allowed to take links out).

Milanese felt nice plus being infinitely adjustable probably the winner.

Still undecided if I want one to replace my Tag. Preorders start in five hours.

RoKKeR

Well I think I'm definitely going to skip out on this version, but Apple launches are always exciting, especially for a new product. Good luck to all those ordering... looking forward to your impressions.

btkadams

If I buy a 42 online and I realize it's too big after opening, I can just return it and order a 38, right? I've never done that with an apple purchase before so I'm not sure how it works.

TxdoHawk

It's not people wanting to try it first that he's puzzled by. It's the lineup the day before the thing is available that baffles the mind.

People maybe didn't hear that there's no in-store pre-order stock allocations?

If these are all clueless scalpers, I'm going to laugh endlessly...especially since it is very likely that by the time they can get a pre-order in at the store, the initial launch allocation may very well be depleted. (This is assuming they don't have a separate stock held back for walk-in preorders.)

subrock

Australian here. Tried on a 38 and 42 Milanese. 38 and 42 space grey sport and 38 steel link.

I've got small wrists so 38 looked much better. It still kinda does look like a thing on top of your wrist as opposed to a traditional watch.

Sport finish is quite nice in the flesh. Steel link looked great on display but not so much on the wrist (wasn't allowed to take links out).

Milanese felt nice plus being infinitely adjustable probably the winner.

Still undecided if I want one to replace my Tag. Preorders start in five hours.

how did you feel about the weights?

how did you feel about the weights?

Sport feels super light - no real heft to it at all but that can be a pro or con (I prefer heavy which is why I tried on the link)

Milanese felt a bit more top heavy maybe as the mesh feels quite light in comparison to the actual watch.

border

I should probably just stick with the 38mm watch, right? I really really want a bigger screen, but I realize the actual watch is just going to be way more bulky when it's on your wrist.

f1769f96-153a-42e1-adc0-2320e6c4f3f2_zps47xqxynl.jpg

Rowena

Neo Member
Do forgive if this has been asked already. Do you need to pay your pre order in full right at time of sale or do they charge you when the item ships? Never pre ordered from Apple.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I should probably just stick with the 38mm watch, right? I really really want a bigger screen, but I realize the actual watch is just going to be way more bulky when it's on your wrist.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll100/renton199x/Computer/f1769f96-153a-42e1-adc0-2320e6c4f3f2_zps47xqxynl.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, 38 looks right.
I would order that, then try them on at a store. I think you'll find you'll like the 38 and it'll save you a return/exchange.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I swear I always thought I had crazy skinny wrists, but all of you guys are making me look like a monster (only 5'8" and 155lb). I measured 170mm.

Anywho. Going to bed. Have my alarm set for 0155, have the watch set as favorite in the app, and did a quick trial run of apple pay with the app. Should be 100% set to grab this. See you guys in a few hours.

Do forgive if this has been asked already. Do you need to pay your pre order in full right at time of sale or do they charge you when the item ships? Never pre ordered from Apple.
If it's a debit card, in the past they temporarily blocked the funds to make sure you have enough for the full amount, but didn't actually take the money out until it shipped.

Sean

Banned
Buddy of mine just gave me an idea, you can pre-order two different watches online and then simply cancel the one you don't want after trying it on in-store. Hassle free way to ensure you get the one you want at the earliest possible time.

Might seem obvious but I didn't think of doing this.

Epix

Buddy of mine just gave me an idea, you can pre-order two different watches online and then simply cancel the one you don't want after trying it on in-store. Hassle free way to ensure you get the one you want at the earliest possible time.

Might seem obvious but I didn't think of doing this.

1 per customer.

I've seen conflicting reports on this. Some say it's 1 per customer for in-store pickup/reservation, others say it's 2 per customer for online orders. Not sure which one's right. We'll find out soon enough.

Just spoke to an Apple rep that confirmed its two. The wife and I are each going to get one in anticipation of our anniversary.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

RubxQub

Beautiful. Maybe I'll get one w/ gen 2.

Buy the Black/Black Stainless now...use your black link bracelet on Gen 2! Save $450 on the next one!

f@luS

More than a member.
i will buy a black 38mm sport

im mostly curious and will use -if good- as daily fun watch

but for evening & work, ill keep my APs/rolex obviously

RubxQub

Well, he'd have to sell the bracelet to someone.

I'm working under the assumption you could just buy the next model with the stock bracelet and use your link bracelet from the gen 1 on the gen 2.

Otherwise it'll be a sad day in the world.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm working under the assumption you could just buy the next model with the stock bracelet and use your link bracelet from the gen 1 on the gen 2.

Otherwise it'll be a sad day in the world.

I don't know. If they didn't do it this round...
I would hope so though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Another Aussie here, my photos are all over 9to5Mac and MacRumours lol

Tried on three models, all 42mm;

Black Sport, looks so much better than the silver sport - really light. Sport Band isn't as crap as I thought it would be, quite comfy.

Milanese Loop + Steel, really heavy and felt the loop was this big unbreathable chain on my arm - really uncomfortable.

Leather Loop + Steel, better than I expected but wouldn't pay the same price for a leather loop as the milanese.

Probably get the Steel + Sport band.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Awesome stuff, man.

What'd you think of the Black/Black SS vs. the Black/Black Aluminum in person?

The dilemma I am facing right now is that, I think the SS is the total tits - well built but it is shiny and a fingerprint magnet on the sides. You don't really notice much on the screen because the blacks are quite good. With the black band it isn't as heavy as the milanese.

The aluminum one is really light but I do worry about its durability, more so the screen than the unit itself which felt quite solid.

$300AU difference is a lot, but could resale more too later (and not be all dinged up)

border

Yeah I don't think I really like how shiny the stainless steel looks. The aluminum one reminds me a lot of the original iPhone 2G.

Top Bottom