• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

border

While I think it's probably smarter for us small-wristed folk to get the 38mm version, I can't shake the feeling that Apple Watch will be popular enough to completely erase whatever fashion stigma might be associated with wearing an oversized watch. People will just get the bigger one and nobody will care if it's on a dainty-wristed waif supermodel or a burly-armed lumberjack. It will be like how we used to all laugh at pictures of people holding the "gigantic" Galaxy Note up to their head, but now we don't even bat an eyelash when somebody is talking on some 5.75" mega-phablet.

So whenever anybody sees you wearing the 38mm watch they'll just be like "Huh - why did you get the small one?"

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
yeah, be awake at 12:01am PDT or expect to get in on a second or later shipment :(

Thats not the problem since it is 9:01 am here in Germany.
The problem is that I have to be at work at 8:30 am :).

Make sure you have an Apple ID. If you do, make sure your billing info and billing/shipping addresses are in and correct (up to date). You might want to turn 1-click ordering on. If you have the Apple Store app on an iPad or iPhone you might want to use that instead of apple.com (which uses Apple Pay - be sure those settings are right too). And be awake at 3 am! :D

Thank you. I already did that. Didn't know about 1-click ordering and the shop is already down.

So when the shop is back up we can order?

finalflame

Anyone else getting silver with the white sport band? Part of me thinks the white band will get easily dirty, but at the end of the day, I can just wipe it off.

Also, my wrist measured in at ~185mm but I'm still going for the 38mm. I'm terrified of the possibility of the 42mm looking too bulky.

I said i would not get this watch. My GF said I can get either the Apple Watch or a N3DS. What do I do GAF????

Realistically the N3DS is a much better purchase. The real important question here is, why is your girlfriend telling you what you can and can't buy?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
While I think it's probably smarter for us small-wristed folk to get the 38mm version, I can't shake the feeling that Apple Watch will be popular enough to completely erase whatever fashion stigma might be associated with wearing an oversized watch. People will just get the bigger one and nobody will care if it's on a dainty-wristed waif supermodel or a burly-armed lumberjack. It will be like how we used to all laugh at pictures of people holding the "gigantic" Galaxy Note up to their head, but now we don't even bat an eyelash when somebody is talking on some 5.75" mega-phablet.

So whenever anybody sees you wearing the 38mm watch they'll just be like "Huh - why did you get the small one?"

It's the opposite. Ridiculously sized watches have been what's popular for the last decade. I wish that trend would die.
36-39mm is my personal sweet spot for classic style watches, and 42-44mm for diver/sport watches.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
Looks like Drake has 38mm Red Gold. http://instagram.com/p/1RwsoaDQH1/

That's one of only two reasons why there is an Edition.

1) Everybody talks about it and how expensive the Apple Watch is. When I tell them, that there is also a 399 € model the really say that that is pretty cheap!

2) Posting pictures of celebreties with it online.

They don't need to sell a single Edition for this model to be a huge success....

I said i would not get this watch. My GF said I can get either the Apple Watch or a N3DS. What do I do GAF????

Don't let the hype overwhelm you in the last hour. Buy what you want and/or need more.

mandiller

I got to try on a few of them (Sports and Steel) and it's quite a nifty device. It's a lot less bulky and thick than I was expecting and actually looks kind of fashionable, so good work there Apple. However I think it's probably going to be too much of a traditional Gen 1 device. For the amount of money they're asking for it I reckon I'm going to wait for Gen 2 and see what they do to improve it.

For everyone thinking of getting a good looking one at the best price. Buy the black anodised Sports watch. It looks great. And in a few weeks I'm sure there will be plenty of 3rd-party leather bands you can switch out the plastic band with. I loved the black sports watch with the dark blue leather magnetic band. But with those leather bands costing about $AU200 for just the band, it's a complete rip off.

riotous

Banned
Yeah as soon as I learned a stainless steel model with a stainless steel band was being offered for over $1,000 USD I assumed the Edition existed partly to distract from that ridiculousness.

Anyone else getting silver with the white sport band? Part of me thinks the white band will get easily dirty, but at the end of the day, I can just wipe it off.

Also, my wrist measured in at ~185mm but I'm still going for the 38mm. I'm terrified of the possibility of the 42mm looking too bulky.

Realistically the N3DS is a much better purchase. The real important question here is, why is your girlfriend telling you what you can and can't buy?

She knows me better. I have a fitbit surge right now which is arguably a better smart watch for my focus (fitness/running). I already think I should wait for gen2 version. I just don't want hype to overwhelm my better decision making.

finalflame

She knows me better. I have a fitbit surge right now which is arguably a better smart watch for my focus (fitness/running). I already think I should wait for gen2 version. I just don't want hype to overwhelm my better decision making.

Meh, realistically nobody "needs" the Apple Watch. As a Gen1 Apple product, it's likely to be pretty subpar and just barely do what it's designed to do. I'm getting it mostly out of pure hype. This is the one purchase I know I couldn't logically justify to myself, but I just want it. Plain and simple.

Do whatever makes you happiest! If you don't yet own a 3DS at all, I'd say that will bring much more utility and enjoyment.

jts

...hate me...
I always go black for my electronics. All consoles, etc.

In iDevices is especially more of a no-brainer to me because of the black bezel vs white bezel.

But wearables is different. I mean, I've chosen a Persimmon UP24 band over a black one, and was really happy with that choice.

Meh, realistically nobody "needs" the Apple Watch. As a Gen1 Apple product, it's likely to be pretty subpar and just barely do what it's designed to do. I'm getting it mostly out of pure hype. This is the one purchase I know I couldn't logically justify to myself, but I just want it. Plain and simple.

Do whatever makes you happiest! If you don't yet own a 3DS at all, I'd say that will bring much more utility and enjoyment.

Haven't had a nintendo console since GBA. I am very behind on the Nintendo catalog.

Xamdou

The price and battery life is what prevents me from getting one. I remember buying the very first Iphone OG for $500 under contract and a year later or two they dropped the price to $200? That early adopter price yo.

I will wait a year or more until the prices go down which it will due to more competition and when the battery lasting more than a day.

The price and battery life is what prevents me from getting one. I remember buying the very first Iphone OG for $500 under contract and a year later or two they dropped the price to $200?

I will wait a year or more until the prices go down which it will due to more competition and the battery lasting more than a day.

This is probably a good point. Android/Samsung is going to redouble their efforts with initial sales of the Apple watch coming in.

finalflame

The price and battery life is what prevents me from getting one. I remember buying the very first Iphone OG for $500 under contract and a year later or two they dropped the price to $200? That early adopter price yo.

I will wait a year or more until the prices go down which it will due to more competition and the battery lasting more than a day.

I agree that the next generation will likely be better and offer a slightly lower price point (I could see $299 introductory).

However, unless you're a social butterfly, I don't see the Apple Watch's battery being a problem for daily use. Just use it all day, get home, and snap it to the magnetized charger before going to bed.

Appleman

Really not sure how well this is going to do in Canada... The fact that the price of the 42mm Sport starts with a 5 is going to be really offputting.

After a year they raised the price significantly, hiding it behind a carrier subsidy. The first iPhone was $500 without a subsidy - you owned the phone outright from the start. Starting with the iPhone 3G, the price was subsidized by AT&T, but at the same time they significantly raised the rates on the only plan they let iPhone owners get, and of course you didn't own the phone until two years had passed.

border

So will we be able to sign up for a fitting on the internet, or do you have to show up at an Apple Store?

The first iPhone was $500 without a subsidy - you owned the phone outright from the start.

Yeah, but you were still forced to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T. I suspect that whatever subsidy you got was going directly into Apple's pocket.

Cloudy

Banned
Reading this thread, I realize that many people don't wear watches these days. If they did, this fitting stuff wouldn't be a thing.

It's easy enough to look at the size and type of your favorite watch to know what Apple watch you want. My favorite is a black SS Fossil that's 42mm so I was immediately drawn to same type of Apple Watch....then I saw the price lol.

I will be getting the black sport but I am somewhat concerned about it feeling too light compared to what I normally wear. Thing is, I won't spend more than $400 so there's no decision to make.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The more I see real pictures and video of the steel link bracelets the more I dislike them.
They look like the cheesy and cheap metal stretch bracelets of the past.

finalflame

Reading this thread, I realize that many people don't wear watches these days. If they did, this fitting stuff wouldn't be a thing.

It's easy enough to look at the size and type of your favorite watch to know what Apple watch you want. My favorite is a black SS Fossil that's 42mm so I was immediately drawn to same type of Apple Watch....then I saw the price lol.

I will be getting the black sport but I am somewhat concerned about it feeling too light compared to what I normally wear. Thing is, I won't spend more than $400 so there's no decision to make.

It's pretty clear the Apple Watch will appeal to tons of people who don't regularly wear watches. Most people probably don't wear watches, with smartphones being everywhere.

Also, be aware that the Apple Watch does not measure size the same as traditional watches. While traditional watches measure size horizontally, Apple is measuring the size of the Apple Watch vertically:

http://www.imore.com/apple-watch-sizes-should-you-get-38mm-or-42mm

jts

...hate me...
We are within 1 hour folks. It's happening.

And I'm still not decided about the colour.

Cloudy

Banned
I'd really like to know how Apple is justifying these band prices. I could buy 3 nice stainless steel Fossils with what they want just for a link band -_-

jts

...hate me...
Maybe I stop worrying so much, get the more flexible silver one, and have the consolation of if I ever wanna go for that full black discrete look, I can consider a *gasp* case such as this one.

wSgTRCD.png

Although this way it dangerously approaches Android levels of looks.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
Maybe I stop worrying so much, get the more flexible silver one, and have the consolation of if I ever wanna go for that full black discrete look, I can consider a *gasp* case such as this one.

wSgTRCD.png

Although this way it dangerously approaches Android levels of looks.

Oh come on... no way one should hide his beautiful Apple Watch in this thing!

border

Did we ever find out how much the deductible was going to be for AppleCare+ ? And do you have to buy AppleCare+ at the time of purchase or do you get a month?

Sean

Banned
Did we ever find out how much the deductible was going to be for AppleCare+ ? And do you have to buy AppleCare+ at the time of purchase or do you get a month?

With the iPhone you get two months to purchase AppleCare+ , it will most likely be the same for the watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I swear I always thought I had crazy skinny wrists, but all of you guys are making me look like a monster (only 5'8" and 155lb). I measured 170mm.

Anywho. Going to bed. Have my alarm set for 0155, have the watch set as favorite in the app, and did a quick trial run of apple pay with the app. Should be 100% set to grab this. See you guys in a few hours.

Yeah I'm about 170mm and figured I have tiny wrists. But I just about get away with the G Watch R so I assume a 42mm should be ok - but maybe the rectangular shape makes it look bigger on the wrist?

jaydogg691

Question: Will you able to purchase the watch on the Apple Store app through Apple Pay with Touch ID?

I haven't used the the Apple Store app or Apple Pay and my dad wants to purchase the watch ASAP.

So it looks like the Apple Watch (stainless steel) is going to be nearly or just as light as a Pebble Steel with a leather band which is weird

Pebble Steel with the leather band is 56g yet the watch face is smaller.

Apple Watch Stainless Steel is 40g for a 38mm or 50g for a 42mm (w/o band)

Apple Watch Sport is 25g for a 38mm or 30g for a 42mm which is nutso on how light that is.. Not sure if I will like it.

But I really want the black one and I don't want to fork over 1200 bucks because Apple is charging for that stupid metal band.

finalflame

I still don't get that decision by them

Pretty simple: they want the shiny ones to be a status icon, so people who want to show that they have money can get one. Watches are often used as status icons, and Apple is cashing in on that.

It's a genius move, because the watch is still accessibly for those who truly want it at 349/99 with the sport band, which looks great.

I do hope aftermarket bands becomes a thing.

Top Bottom