• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Seriously though, I cringed looking at that thing, and his explanation is even worse. The whole thing comes off like a 15-year-old flipping the bird at their parents before running off to a Hot Topic.

If it's a keepsake reminder, that's one thing, and more power to him. But Jesus H, leave that shit in a drawer where it belongs with the other shitty parts of the 90s. If you're a grown-ass adult and need such an overdramatic daily reminder to tell "The Man" to go fuck himself, you should probably re-evaluate your life choices and/or your mental state.

If he wants to wear the stupid bracelet, more power to him but he shouldn't respond like a gigantic jackass/man-baby when someone lightheartedly points out the hypocrisy of his comments about the look of the Milanese loop band.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tasteless as the spiky bracelet may or may not be to you, Gasse definitely takes the douche award in that exchange. Its a funny image at surface level, but since I'm taking this time to really examine the exchange I have to come out and say people who think that way infuriate me. I tried on the Milanese loop and it is nice, but its very ostentatious in a gaudy way. The spiky bracelet is ostentatious in a gauche way. I wear a bright pink plastic and rubber Swatch that I'm sure some old men think is absurd, but it is comfortably me. I also tried on the Milanese Loop and had a similar reaction. I would feel ridiculous wearing it.

It looks like something that basically requires a gold neck chain and tufts of chest hair peeking out the neckline of a silk shirt thats been sweated in one too many times.

Twitter is a net loss for society.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am completely baffled by the complete lack of self awareness combined with low self esteem, incredible for someone running such a huge, successful site like The Verge is.

All he would have needed to tweet is

I find business attire ridiculous and spike bracelets cool. problem?

Instead he goes on to embarrass himself by revealing that somehow that comment hit a major nerve.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I (male) love the Milanese loop style bracelets. I have one on one of my smaller handwound watches.
However my female roommate absolutely hates the look of it.

It's interesting how polarizing it is.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
All he would have needed to tweet is

I find business attire ridiculous and spike bracelets cool. problem?

Instead he goes on to embarrass himself by revealing that somehow that comment hit a major nerve.

Nothing wrong with speaking up and defending yourself. Forced customer service-like stoicism is kinda cowardly IMO. If something bothers you tell that bitch off.

My biggest problem with Patel's review is the weird focus on the "nightmare fuel" animated emojis. I don't even know what the point of that was.

lol @ Nilay..

I'm still curious as to why JT left, dont think Nilay and him are on good terms.

I wont get an Apple Watch, but if I did it would definitely be the Milanese loop style, it's ridiculously good looking.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nothing wrong with speaking up and defending yourself. Forced customer service-like stoicism is kinda cowardly IMO. If something bothers you tell that bitch off.

That really depends on who you are, and what position you have.
Saying things about him like having "old white guy" style, or a "jackass" sound so ridiculous from a person in his position.

That being said, this was on Twitter, so the whole exchange was stupid no matter what he would have written.
No need to even respond.

Hasney

Stand up for yourself, sure. Don't cry about a tone police or some shit. Rather than attacking any point, he just came across as a child.

Sean

Banned
Nilay Patel can't take any sort of criticism at all. I tweeted him something similar to this like a year or two ago, a friendly ribbing/playful joke along with the :p smiley face and everything, and he straight up blocked me. I'm not surprised at his overreaction here.

Tom Warren is the only Verge editor without a massive ego.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Nilay Patel can't take any sort of criticism at all. I tweeted him something similar to this like a year or two ago, a friendly ribbing/playful joke along with the :p smiley face and everything, and he straight up blocked me. I'm not surprised at his overreaction here.

Tom Warren is the only Verge editor without a massive ego.

Yeah, something definitely changed when Josh left. Like, the difference in quality was noticeable almost the next day.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
For real though I have a hard time taking fashion advice from someone that wears that.

this was exactly my point.. the guy wears something that is just ugly as fuck FOR HIS OWN REASONS. Awesome! But to then extol fashion device WHILE WEARING SAID UGLY AS FUCK accessory.. is like someone in ripped levis and an old band shirt (who is not already famous) talking about high fashion..

as others said.. "It's not for me" would have been perfectly acceptable. "Felt ridiculous wearing" is hyperbole and you are putting yourself out there for criticism. the meltdown afterward just reeks of an immature tantrum. the ex-apple guy took the bait, but what happened after was ALL on Patel.

Nero3000

Just watched the Topolsky review of Apple Watch.

He makes a good point, complications - why arnt they on the lock screen of iPhone...next calendar event etc.

Would also love to see app icons take on glances, so you can resize them to 4x4 size.

Just watched the Topolsky review of Apple Watch.

He makes a good point, complications - why arnt they on the lock screen of iPhone...next calendar event etc.

Would also love to see app icons take on glances, so you can resize them to 4x4 size.

It's something that should be there but I wonder if Apple will ever add it to iOS or if they'll keep exclusively on the watch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I like that complications are kind of like static icons that subtly change to reflect a stream of information. I like the idea of mixing complications on an iPhone pressure sensitive so if you touch halfway on a complication it lightly expands the stream but press all the way you enter the app proper.

Lot to do here.

Tablo

They will take walk-ins, just ask an employee for an appointment. It was fairly busy at the store and my appointment was ready within a few minutes.

Nilay and Jean-Louise Gasee on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gassee/status/587349655513509888

xblF4.jpg

LMAO, Nilay just can't take even a little sheepish criticism, he got way too mad.

Terrell

My favorite part of the Nilay tantrum is how he says Gasee is an "old white man". I mean, the implication that old men are inherently unable to understand a broader world is bad enough, but to make it a racial thing? WTF is that all about?!

bms2993

Banned
Hey, GAF. I preordered the Apple Watch on launch day at around 12:01 AM PST. Went to the Apple Store and tried it on and absolutely loved it! Can't wait to get mine. :)

Ambient80

Bring back Paul.

Srsly tho aside from the "no internet" thing, Paul Miller was my favorite Verge writer before he left. :( And honestly that whole thing was blown up horribly by other Verge staff. His experiment could have been interesting, they made it into a cruel meme.

ShowDog

As a future old white man fuck Nilay Patel's goofy ass. He's a complete tool and his website blows chunks. Funny how it was above average back when Joshua was running things.

mrkgoo

I listened to Engadget podcast back when it was Josh, Nilay and Paul. I followed them to This is my Next and then the Verge following that.

The Verge genuinely seemed like something unique and well made when it launched. Not sure what happened, but it slowly degraded. The app stopped working. The podcast was dropped.

I used to like Nilay a lot, he's smart and well-spoken. But now im not sure if his behaviour has changed or if I've just changed tastes but I find his antics to be overly defensive and generally childish.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I listened to Engadget podcast back when it was Josh, Nilay and Paul. I followed them to This is my Next and then the Verge following that.

The Verge genuinely seemed like something unique and well made when it launched. Not sure what happened, but it slowly degraded. The app stopped working. The podcast was dropped.

I used to like Nilay a lot, he's smart and well-spoken. But now im not sure if his behaviour has changed or if I've just changed tastes but I find his antics to be overly defensive and generally childish.

The minute the website went responsive the need for an app was moot.

(Also: #teamjosh)

japtor

Well, the iPod touch, for example, went from stainless steel to aluminum and no one batted an eye, in fact people liked it.

But SS is still a bit more premium, not as light, but more dent resistant.

I'm wondering how its finish will wear out though. I can't imagine it being like the SS on the iPods, which would scuff just by looking at. I wish they would have made it in that iPhone 4/s SS finish instead.

I will get myself the silver alu as well. I think it will only look cheap if it gets dented and scratched and whatnot. In pristine condition it will look premium enough.
I'm wondering how the black stainless will wear vs the regular one, DLC coating sounds like good stuff:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

Guess Who

Banned
Surprised that, on NeoGAF of all places, the fact that the space black Apple Watches aren't shipping till June hasn't resulted in jokes about having no day-one DLC

Ambient80

The podcast is sort of back now but it's awful. After the Apple Watch reviews they had Joanna Stern from NYT on there, and any time her and the other guy tried to have a little fun Nilay acted like he was getting pissy and told them to knock it off. Made it sorta awkward. They used to be so fun, too.

Oh, and they do like radio advertisement spots in the middle of it now, and wow those guys are really bad at reading them. It's awful and I would never want them doing an ad for my company because it sounds horribly disorganized. I'm still not sure what either of the companies even DO after hearing their spots on the last podcast.

LCfiner

OMG, Nilay is a clown.

Unless that spiky bracelet is some sacred family heirloom that his grandfather had hid up his ass for 10 years so he could pass it down to his children, there’s zero reason to care about it the was Nilay does.

plus, it’s friggin’ ugly.

I really like Nilay and The Verge and I think the fact Gawker ran an article about his tweet is borderline disgusting and depressingly unsurprising for Sam Biddle, who is the worst.

Who gives a shit? How is that any level of newsworthy beyond New York media people taking potshots at each other? (which is kinda sam's thing)

Just got an update for Pandora. They added Apple Watch support. Sounds like you can get song info, pause and play music, thumbs up or down, and change stations all from the Apple Watch.

ShowDog

I really like Nilay and The Verge and I think the fact Gawker ran an article about his tweet is borderline disgusting and depressingly unsurprising for Sam Biddle, who is the worst.

Who gives a shit? How is that any level of newsworthy beyond New York media people taking potshots at each other? (which is kinda sam's thing)

If that tweet had *anything* but "old white guy" in it the entirety of the Gawker network would be having a field day. Gawker is terrible but this takedown was as harmless as the original joke and is in no way depressing.

Top Bottom