• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Sean

Banned
I wonder if many people are going to use the more premium bands on the sport watches. I think it looks kind of ridiculous.

to be fair that's like the worst possible combination. milanese loop doesn't look nearly as bad on the silver sport (obviously not perfect though).

CCehX-UXIAAPdc-.jpg
CCehX-WWIAAZ_sH.jpg

edit: here are some more pics i've seen of the sport with premium bands.

space gray sport w/ black leather loop
rv9CZmQ.jpg

space gray sport w/ blue leather loop
CCc4-0CVEAA2Fj5.jpg:large
CCV_l-CW8AA8f8C.jpg
CCV_l-lW8AAUVgL.jpg

space gray sport w/ black classic buckle
CCRP3tTVIAAiJmj.jpg:large

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the milanese band sold as an option for the sport watches? If so you'd thinkbapple would sell ones with matching connectors

Is the milanese band sold as an option for the sport watches? If so you'd thinkbapple would sell ones with matching connectors

You can buy the band by itself.

Edit:

The connecting bars on the classic leather band make it look really odd on the sport watch.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I still want to see the stone leather loop on the silver sport (or space gray)

Think that could be a nice combo.

bms2993

Banned
Honestly, from what I've tried, the watch feels great in the hand. Software feels a bit sluggish at times, but I hope it is something that can be improved over time.

Eager to start screwing around with WatchKit this summer.

I really like Nilay and The Verge and I think the fact Gawker ran an article about his tweet is borderline disgusting and depressingly unsurprising for Sam Biddle, who is the worst.

Who gives a shit? How is that any level of newsworthy beyond New York media people taking potshots at each other? (which is kinda sam's thing)

Sam Biddle is fucking moron as well. This Twitter fight is basically two children trying to slap each other but missing and stumbling all over the place. Tech/SV industry is just embarrassing.

Purexed

Banned
I think I may got some wrong information during my visit with my try-on appointment.

You can slide in any band with the Sport edition, ignoring how "off" some of the combinations may look? The Apple rep said you can only put in the rubber bands with the Sport, and seemed pretty sure of himself.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think I may got some wrong information during my visit with my try-on appointment.

You can slide in any band with the Sport edition, ignoring how "off" some of the combinations may look? The Apple rep said you can only put in the rubber bands with the Sport, and seemed pretty sure of himself.
He was wrong. You can pair any band with any case (as long as they are the same size 38/42)

kaskade

So I had to check it out since I went to the store for my phone. Didn't try anything on, just wanted to look. I really like the space grey sport. They are all nice really I feel like you can't go wrong with any of them really. I can't wait to really get to play with it in 2ish weeks though.

kaskade

So is there any eay to get a launch day watch at this point or are we looking at a minimum june shipping date from this point forth?

Pretty sure everything is June. Apple seemed to sell the launch day watches out in about 2 minutes. Even then the dates said 4/24-5/8 so that's not even a guarantee which is kind of a bummer.

LCfiner

I think the black leather loop with the black sport looks great. I think the stone strap on black, as previously suggested, could also work (but i'm a fan of light colored leather straps with black dial watches)

Edit, actually it's the light brown I'd like to see. The Stone color probably isn't my thing, a little too light.

bms2993

Banned
What Apple Watch will you all be getting? I went for the 38mm sport edition and found that it fit me best when I went to the Apple Store to try it on. :) I ordered it that morning.

bms2993

Banned
July is coo'. Ain't no thing to wait.

Thanks for the responses guys

Honestly, this watch is nothing to get real excited over. It's essentially an iPhone on your wrist, but just very slow. I was disappointed by how slow it was. Still, beats having your phone in your pocket. Convenience, GAF. Convenience.

Flo_Evans

I think iPhone 6 looks great. It's much nicer to hold than iPhone 4 (though 4 is a more significant design). Apple Watch just needs to be a little thinner I think.

I don't think it's really all that thick compared to other large watches, it's the lack of lugs and the roundness of the edges that make it sit weird on people's wrist.

I'll have to see how it looks on my thick wrists but it doesn't look good on most people IMHO.

japtor

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/13/apple-watch-deliveries-sooner-than-estimated/
Ship dates are purposefully conservative so you might get it earlier, but until they start coming out who knows.
I wonder if many people are going to use the more premium bands on the sport watches. I think it looks kind of ridiculous.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat common.

I'll be going with ridiculous combinations myself! Space black with the Milanese (silver and black, cause I'm a tacky Raider fan), and just ordered a white sport band last night. Wasn't really feeling the black band cause thought it might look kinda plain but not into one of the colorful ones either, then thought the extreme contrast with white might look alright and saw this:
HoPemCLl.jpg

Probably gaudy as hell once actually on my arm but whatever, storm trooper watch forever.
I don't think it's really all that thick compared to other large watches, it's the lack of lugs and the roundness of the edges that make it sit weird on people's wrist.

I'll have to see how it looks on my thick wrists but it doesn't look good on most people IMHO.
Are you just going by pictures? Just asking cause it looked a lot different in person to me, maybe something with camera distance and minor lens distortion/optical effect that makes it appear bigger in photos.

bms2993

Banned
I agree bms. My intent was to purchase a notification hub with an extra few bells and whistles that im interested in. I'll drop bigger money on the third iteration but for now, sport works.

Whenever it gets here

Yeah sport is fine for the price IMO. I wouldn't want to go any higher.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but apparently double tapping the crown will switch between your two most recent apps.
M9qvGCP.gif
I watched a video hands on and it said that double tapping the crown goes to Apple Pay...

But I hope that video was wrong and you're right!

I watched a video hands on and it said that double tapping the crown goes to Apple Pay...

But I hope that video was wrong and you're right!

I think double tapping the contacts button brings you to Apple Pay. I'm starting to wonder how Apple expects normal people to figure out how to use all of these less than obvious features.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think double tapping the contacts button brings you to Apple Pay. I'm starting to wonder how Apple expects normal people to figure out how to use all of these less than obvious features.
Oh that may have been right.

Lol, I have no worries that any of us that are tech savvy will have any issues. It'll just be something we get the hang of after a couple of weeks. As for regular people, it's the first of its kind, once the Watch OS 3 or so is out, everything will be second nature just like 90% of the stuff in iOS.

ckohler

This is correct. People will figure out these shortcuts the same way they do on iPhone. Until then, they can always just launch the apps from the home screen.

Also, I really hope Apple can meet demand on the Space Grey Sport. I have a feeling they didn't expect that model to be in such high demand judging by how little they advertise it.

border

They can have a "Tips" app that occasionally sends you notifications with info on certain features and shortcuts, just like they do on the iPad/iPhone.

HoTHiTTeR

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/13/apple-watch-deliveries-sooner-than-estimated/
Ship dates are purposefully conservative so you might get it earlier, but until they start coming out who knows.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat common.

I'll be going with ridiculous combinations myself! Space black with the Milanese (silver and black, cause I'm a tacky Raider fan), and just ordered a white sport band last night. Wasn't really feeling the black band cause thought it might look kinda plain but not into one of the colorful ones either, then thought the extreme contrast with white might look alright and saw this:
HoPemCLl.jpg

Probably gaudy as hell once actually on my arm but whatever, storm trooper watch forever.

Are you just going by pictures? Just asking cause it looked a lot different in person to me, maybe something with camera distance and minor lens distortion/optical effect that makes it appear bigger in photos.

Ummm, I was told in-store the sport watch can only take sport bands. 'Watch' can take all bands. Not true?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think the black leather loop with the black sport looks great. I think the stone strap on black, as previously suggested, could also work (but i'm a fan of light colored leather straps with black dial watches)

Edit, actually it's the light brown I'd like to see. The Stone color probably isn't my thing, a little too light.
Yeah either really the two colors are not significantly different. Wonder why there is no black loop though. It's tough to tell without seeing them in actual lighting.

StillEdge

Anyone have suggestions for Bluetooth earbuds to pair with the watch. I don't want anything to crazy no full on headphones I don't really like the over the ear look but willing to go with them. The warehouse I work at doesn't allow phones but said smart watches are good so I'm going to just zone out once I get this watch and a pair of earbuds. I'm hoping for the battery to last 10 hours but with the little I've read that's like impossible so the minimum battery length I'm hoping for is 6 hours I can just work without music until my lunch and then use them when I get back.

Ummm, I was told in-store the sport watch can only take sport bands. 'Watch' can take all bands. Not true?
You can't order a Sport watch with anything but a Sport band, that's probably what they are talking about. But you can order any band separately in addition to the base watch/band combo, and it'll still work as long as it's the same size (38 or 44mm).

Terrell

Surprised there hasn't been an official preorder statement yet.

It is a bit peculiar. Speaks to trouble with the numbers. Then again, they might skip discussion of pre-orders altogether, since it's a new product category and there's a greater risk of cancelled or declined pre-orders. Or maybe someone in the PR team just fell asleep at the switch and didn't have the data ready. I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Someone on reddit had their order status changed from 4/24-5/8.

Honestly doesn't give me much hope for my May 13th-27th status as reddit OP ordered two minutes after the store opened whereas I had to wait 10+ for the website to start working, but oh well. As long as I get it slightly before the 27th I should be ok.

japtor

It is a bit peculiar. Speaks to trouble with the numbers. Then again, they might skip discussion of pre-orders altogether, since it's a new product category and there's a greater risk of cancelled or declined pre-orders. Or maybe someone in the PR team just fell asleep at the switch and didn't have the data ready. I'm sure we'll know soon enough.
They announce quarterly results on the 27th, they can mention something there if they want. Not sure it'll actually be in the results (not sure when their quarter ends/ended) but they can still talk about it.

Hasney

Well if this isn't someones style or they're on a budget, the Neptune Pine is down to £65 now and it doesn't need a secondary phone, it's all built in.

neptune-pine-top-dial-pad-640x426-c.jpg

Someone get it to Nilay, I want to hear his expert opinion.

SuperPac

Someone on reddit had their order status changed from 4/24-5/8.

Saw something similar on the macrumors forum - seemed to be a photoshop alteration. It'll be a flood of images when Apple starts doing this for real. It won't be "one guy."

Honestly doesn't give me much hope for my May 13th-27th status as reddit OP ordered two minutes after the store opened whereas I had to wait 10+ for the website to start working, but oh well. As long as I get it slightly before the 27th I should be ok.

Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out - I ordered 2 watches and really hope that they come on 4/24. Hopefully it's just that way while they shake out the scalpers.

Hasney

Saw something similar on the macrumors forum - seemed to be a photoshop alteration. It'll be a flood of images when Apple starts doing this for real. It won't be "one guy."

Yeah, I think most of the people who woke themselves up early enough to get on the first reported shipment will be talking about this somewhere on the internet.

I ordered the silver sport, and I think the only "premium band" that has a chance of going with it would be the leather loop, as there are no mismatching metals in the combination.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
one thing I just noticed about my own watch is how black it is. Most real watches I see or own have light coloured faces, so even if they are large, they don't stand out on your arm. But the apple watch (and my LG G watch) are jet black when the screen is off, so they stand out relatively easily.

Anyone heard any reports on the impact the Watch has on the battery life of the iPhone it is tethered to? I've been using the Cogito Connected Watch recently and have seen a definite impact on the battery life of my iPhone as a result. I wondered if the Apple Watch was more efficient in this regard.

bms2993

Banned
Anyone heard any reports on the impact the Watch has on the battery life of the iPhone it is tethered to? I've been using the Cogito Connected Watch recently and have seen a definite impact on the battery life of my iPhone as a result. I wondered if the Apple Watch was more efficient in this regard.

I'm sure it's much more efficent since Apple knows how to optimize their hardware well.

Top Bottom