• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

kaskade

Anyone heard any reports on the impact the Watch has on the battery life of the iPhone it is tethered to? I've been using the Cogito Connected Watch recently and have seen a definite impact on the battery life of my iPhone as a result. I wondered if the Apple Watch was more efficient in this regard.

Well if the watch accomplishes it's job we should be looking at our phones a bit less making the battery last a bit longer.

Well if the watch accomplishes it's job we should be looking at our phones a bit less making the battery last a bit longer.

True. The Cogito approach doesn't accomplish that really. It just sends you an alert to let you know that you have emails, texts, or other things waiting. You can read texts on its tiny screen, but it isn't optimal at all.

I think the Apple Watch probably has a better Bluetooth low energy transmitter too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
True. The Cogito approach doesn't accomplish that really. It just sends you an alert to let you know that you have emails, texts, or other things waiting. You can read texts on its tiny screen, but it isn't optimal at all.

I think the Apple Watch probably has a better Bluetooth low energy transmitter too.

I believe you actually have to operate across BT LE. So if the Cogito is compatible with non-LE phones, then I would assume by default it's not using LE(?). Not certain, but yes it could very well be working across normal BT then.

bms2993

Banned
Screen_Shot_2015_04_14_at_10_51_17_AM.png

So much for being stuck in the year 2010...

I believe you actually have to operate across BT LE. So if the Cogito is compatible with non-LE phones, then I would assume by default it's not using LE(?). Not certain, but yes it could very well be working across normal BT then.

Ahh... that makes sense. I believe the Cogito is compatible with a wide variety of iOS and Android devices.

I've mentioned the Cogito Watch in here a few times, and it isn't a bad product, but it is just enough of a tantalizing look at what a full featured smartwatch can do to get you more interested in one of them. And considering it now costs about the same, or even a little more than the Moto 360, it is hard to justify it. If they hadn't sent me one to review, I probably wouldn't have used it at all.

Tom_Cody

Terrell

Lol.

"did it ever occur to anyone that i wear the thing as a studied reminder that i do not want to ever fit in or be a fucking suit"

I live in a hipster neighborhood and he is not the first person who I've seen get angered over this specific issue. It's absurd to me, but "not being a suit" is a very important part of some peoples' identities.
If you don't want to be a suit, don't take a suit job. Done.

Best part of the tantrum is that, as someone on Reddit pointed out, Gassee didn't even make the observation in the image found in his article originally. Matt Richman, a much younger man, made that image, making Patel's tantrum all the more pathetic.

http://www.cio.com/article/2909354/apple-os/apple-watch-review-spawns-nasty-war-on-twitter.html

Lol.

"did it ever occur to anyone that i wear the thing as a studied reminder that i do not want to ever fit in or be a fucking suit"

...says the man who wears a "fucking suit" in his highly produced Apple Watch review. I know he's making point here but still. My god, man.

Lol.

I live in a hipster neighborhood and he is not the first person who I've seen get angered over this specific issue. It's absurd to me, but "not being a suit" is a very important part of some peoples' identities.

Suits are awesome... I'll never understand how people hate suits.

kaskade

No idea why, but I always periodically check my order status like something is going to change. If anything it wouldn't be until sometime next week anyway.

No idea why, but I always periodically check my order status like something is going to change. If anything it wouldn't be until sometime next week anyway.

Same. I feel a little bit sick in doing so. It's much more healthy to go cold turkey on all Apple Watch related quips and things so that I can maybe forget for a little. Instead, I find myself feverishly refreshing this thread, reddit, and google news, devouring anything new at all I can find on the damn thing.

Someone on reddit had their order status changed from 4/24-5/8.
Honestly doesn't give me much hope for my May 13th-27th status as reddit OP ordered two minutes after the store opened whereas I had to wait 10+ for the website to start working, but oh well. As long as I get it slightly before the 27th I should be ok.

Just to update this from the last page. As was expected, OP was fakin'(simple HTML edit)

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/...bracelet_just_got_pushed_up_the_queue/cqc0i2x

TxdoHawk

Suits are awesome... I'll never understand how people hate suits.

He's really talking about the idea of the "suit", the kind of guy that toils away in a cubicle 60 hours a week in an unfulfilling office job and follows orders, or the kind of dude who has sold his soul to the corporate machine for a slightly larger piece of the pie.

Now, if you are some snot-nosed teenager stuck in a shitty job and want this kind of defiant symbolism for hope, that's one thing. But this is a grown man running a giant website that basically seems to run whatever stories they want. He doesn't need a reminder to subvert the traditional office system, he's out there doing it every day. Hence, it comes off as very insecure.

SuperPac

Me too. I'm refreshing RSS feeds a lot too for any news...iMore, 9to5mac, MacRumors, The Loop Insight, Daring Fireball...anyone who's got anything on the Watch I will totally read it. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a look at the display models in an Apple Store this afternoon. Looks quite pretty but nothing amazing. This was the stainless steel. Force touch on the watch face triggers a haptic thing and that felt quite strong putting my fingers in the underside, but quiet. The digital crown seems a bit slippery? Other than that I had a try of some of the different demo parts and it was fine. Personally I think I'd use it mostly for notifications and music control, and for that it doeant seem functionally dissimilar to android wear - notification pops up, then disappears, swipe to view again and interact if desired.

The ones in the case (embedded in the long table) looked nice though. The sport bands look nice and I thought the silver sport with white or blue bands looked good, and I was disappointed to find how much I liked the stainless steel watch (because it's expensive)

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm gonna make another one, maybe either take pictures or bring someone with me for an outsider opinion. The 38 seemed a bit too small, and the 42 seemed right on the edge of "nah, too big."

#teamtinywrists

I'm gonna make another one, maybe either take pictures or bring someone with me for an outsider opinion. The 38 seemed a bit too small, and the 42 seemed right on the edge of "nah, too big."

#teamtinywrists

I just measured my wrist and it is about 155mm. I originally preordered both sizes as I couldn't try the 42 with a small band, so I am going to try and get another appointment to make sure before which before next week. I am leaning towards the 38.

bms2993

Banned
I just measured my wrist and it is about 155mm. I originally preordered both sizes as I couldn't try the 42 with a small band, so I am going to try and get another appointment to make sure before which before next week. I am leaning towards the 38.

We have around the same size of wrist, but you should really look at the width of your wrist versus the circumference. That way, you'll know if the watch is too big for you. The sure fire way to know is to visit the Apple Store like I did and try them both on. Ultimately, I went with the 38mm Watch because it looks good in relation to my wrist size.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would you say the stainless steel is worth another $200 on top of the Sport model?

I think....maybe? My logical half says it is literally money for nothing. But relatively speaking, it isn't a huge amount of money so I would try and stretch for that model. But I'd need to check the bands. The steel link band is insane money.

I'm not buying at launch anyway - I have an android phone and an LG G Watch R. But I may get an iPhone 6S/7 (whatever is next up) and in that case I may jump in on a gen 2 device in SS.

borghe

Would you say the stainless steel is worth another $200 on top of the Sport model?

100% based on style/preference. There is literally no other determinator.

I think....maybe? My logical half says it is literally money for nothing. But relatively speaking, it isn't a huge amount of money so I would try and stretch for that model. But I'd need to check the bands. The steel link band is insane money.
I wouldn't say money for nothing... but I mean I get what you are saying. Is the nicer brand of slacks at the store really worth spending $90 when you can get a similar looking pair from a smaller brand for $50? If the nicer option for you isn't worth the money, then yes it is money for nothing. If the nicer option is worth the money, then you are paying for the finer quality BECAUSE IT MATTERS TO YOU.

yeah.. like I said.. my choice came down to that I didn't want the "geek chic" style of the sport.. I wanted a classier watch (even though it is still a geek device) and classier bands (I don't agree with many here that any of the bands beyond sport look good on the Sport... except maybe the dark leather ones..) If that stuff doesn't matter to you, or you prefer the look of the Sport.. then yes it is $200 wasted pure and simple.

TxdoHawk

I'm not buying at launch anyway - I have an android phone and an LG G Watch R. But I may get an iPhone 6S/7 (whatever is next up) and in that case I may jump in on a gen 2 device in SS.

Honestly (and I say this as a pre-orderer) this is probably the way to go if you can wait.

- If the rumors of the 6S incorporating stuff like Force Touch and the Taptic engine are true, that might open up way more interesting interactions between Apple Watch owners and users who only have iPhones.

- I'm still convinced the second-gen Apple Watch will incite upgrade lust from OG buyers. (I would not rule out a bi-annual release cycle, though.)

- We could very well see some significant price drops on Apple Watch #2.

100% based on style/preference. There is literally no other determinator.

There is potentially the whole thing with the durability of IonX glass versus sapphire, but I'm not convinced this will be a big deal. We're likely going to have to wait months before we really get a good idea on how these models hold up comparatively, anyway.

borghe

I think we are (FINALLY) past the point where the S upgrades get scoffed at... the 5S upgrade was huge (64-bit, 720p120 video, TouchID, etc) and it's already looking like the 6S should be a huge upgrade as well.

So in that regard... going from X to XS isn't like people "felt" before where it was "go for the X upgrade, you can skip the XS upgrade". either one you upgrade to is going to be huge IMHO.

With that being said... the 6/Plus is already 7 months old... so yeah.. waiting 5-6 more months for the 6S is probably a good bet.

There is potentially the whole thing with the durability of IonX glass versus sapphire, but I'm not convinced this will be a big deal. We're likely going to have to wait months before we really get a good idea on how these models hold up comparatively, anyway.

I'm guessing when the tests happen that the Sport screen will probably be more durable than iPhone.. the Watch screen will probably be even more durable... but to a degree that won't really justify the added cost of it.. I really feel they went with Sapphire in the Watch and Edition because the margins were there to afford that bullet point. I am really not thinking that the difference between that and IonX will be significant. And again, this is coming from a Watch (not Sport) pre-order customer.

He's really talking about the idea of the "suit", the kind of guy that toils away in a cubicle 60 hours a week in an unfulfilling office job and follows orders, or the kind of dude who has sold his soul to the corporate machine for a slightly larger piece of the pie.

Now, if you are some snot-nosed teenager stuck in a shitty job and want this kind of defiant symbolism for hope, that's one thing. But this is a grown man running a giant website that basically seems to run whatever stories they want. He doesn't need a reminder to subvert the traditional office system, he's out there doing it every day. Hence, it comes off as very insecure.

The fact that his Apple Watch review was loaded with crass cross-site promotion (in service to the dark god "Corporate Synergy") tells me that he is either a "Suit" or has no problem cowtowing to his "Suit" superiors.

LCfiner

I will always disagree that the watch is thick. My time with them just confirms my thoughts from reading the dimensions.

10.5mm isn’t thick by modern sport luxury watch standards. a new planet ocean is 16mm thick (granted, that one is chunky). a speedmaster is 13mm thick.

Nomos watches, which are pretty damn thin, range from 7.5 to 10mm.

I’m not saying apple won’t try to go thinner, but really, if they drop it 1 or 2mm max, they’ll have a very, very thin watch

xsarien

daedsiluap

That seems weird. The guy doing my try-on just calmly took the band off the 42mm and replaced it with the smaller one.

Fox1304

Update on the Click adapter kickstarter- it's looking to clear $200K, but not $225K, so extra polymer adapter it is, then.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1516117990/click-the-first-watch-band-adapter-for-apple-watch/

Mine is still showing as shipping in June, how's everyone else? Did anyone get their ship date moved up?
Changed my pledge for a 3 alu pack + 2 bands, shipping in June also. Am I right to understand that by "any band" it includes the stainless ones ? Would be nice.

rude

Banned
So I went to the Apple Store today and the 38mm is just so tiny. How many of you are planning on getting that model?

Blackhead

Redarse
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but apparently double tapping the crown will switch between your two most recent apps.
M9qvGCP.gif
Cool!
should have been used for the notification center ;)

I will always disagree that the watch is thick. My time with them just confirms my thoughts from reading the dimensions.

10.5mm isn’t thick by modern sport luxury watch standards. a new planet ocean is 16mm thick (granted, that one is chunky). a speedmaster is 13mm thick.

Nomos watches, which are pretty damn thin, range from 7.5 to 10mm.

I’m not saying apple won’t try to go thinner, but really, if they drop it 1 or 2mm max, they’ll have a very, very thin watch
A new planet ocean is 45.5 mm diameter, speedmaster professional is 42 mm, nomos watches range from +39mm. Those are average to large watches and their thickness generally matches their diameter. The aWatch isn't the same size
flyosity said:
The Apple Watch Is Really Small

I was shocked at how small and slight the Apple Watch felt on my wrist. I’m a larger guy (6' and built like a linebacker who retired and got a little fat) and when I tried the 42mm Apple Watch Sport on, I thought it was the 38mm. I thought it was tiny and there was some mistake. It is the smallest watch that’s ever been on my wrist.

But wait! The 42mm Apple Watch isn’t that small, right? I mean, it’s 42mm and lots of mens’ watches are around 40–44mm nowadays. Here’s the problem with that, and I think Apple has put a little marketing smoke and mirrors into play here.

Most watches are round. When a manufacturer says that their watch is 42mm, it’s the diameter across the case of the watch. Depending on the exact type of watch, it’s usually 42mm all the way around. However, when Apple says that the Apple Watch is 42mm, they’re measuring it from top-to-bottom. From side-to-side it’s only 35.9mm wide which is tiny in the world of men’s watches and actually closer to a woman’s watch size. Here’s a true-to-scale comparison between the 42mm Apple Watch Sport and some other popular men’s watches.

472C3JA.png

Most popular men’s watches now are 42mm-46mm measured as a diameter across the watch face. Some watches by Diesel, Guess, Fossil and other “mall stores” are actually much larger, sometimes up to 50mm wide or larger. Bigger watches are very popular now. Unfortunately, the Apple Watch isn’t large at all. Men who are used to wearing 42mm round-faced watches will definitely notice that the 42mm Apple Watch sits smaller on their wrist than they’re accustomed to. Men who are used to wearing 44mm watches (or larger) may think the Apple Watch feels more like a little kid’s bracelet than a substantial and expensive watch.

Smaller watches may be a lot thinner than 10.5mm e.g.
Ars Technica said:
Citizen Eco-Drive Stiletto
OIHUFXLm.jpg

Type: Small men's watch
Diameter: 36mm
Thickness: 5mm
When compared to luxury watches the aWatch thickness is oddly unproportionate to its width. I think Apple should aim for a lot thinner if they want the luxury watch comparisons.

LCfiner

planet ocean is actually 42mm across (that’s my reference). then another version at 45. speedy pro is 42 but asymmetrical and it wears like a 40.

anyway, the apple watch does look small because the measurement is height and because none of the straps have significant lugs. either zero lugs or tiny ones. so the watch is not big.

the 42mm wears very similar to the 38 to 40mm round mechanical watches that are usually around 10 to 12mm thick. at least on my wrist. it definitely did not feel thick for my taste at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I would have preferred some kind of lug. It isn't as bad as the moto 360 with the straps coming out very low on the case, but it does look a bit odd.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The watch seem fairly thin to me too.
If they can slice out another 2-3mm that'd be sweet.

I think I would have preferred some kind of lug. It isn't as bad as the moto 360 with the straps coming out very low on the case, but it does look a bit odd.

Classic buckle will give you the lugs you seek. :)
Or the kickstarter ones.

Top Bottom