• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
^ one of the reasons why i liked the classic buckle when i tried them on. It was a nice traditional look

Yeah, that one is growing on me. I like seeing the wire lugs sticking out.
With the kickstarter adapter/lugs matching the finish of any model I wonder if people will go beyond the oem bands in a big way.

Smaller watches may be a lot thinner than 10.5mm e.g

I have a 37mm diameter watch that is a little more than 14mm thick. Kinda of a fatty.
Depends on the movement inside, auto or not auto, etc.

LCfiner

Yup, that’s exactly what I’m getting at. luxury sporty watches (divers or chronos) are relatively thick.

If, like giga wrote a while back, someone wanted an apple watch to replace a thin dress watch, then it needs to go on a diet.

But for the majority of casual watches people wear? the 10.5 thickness won’t be an issue in comparisons.

I think I would have preferred some kind of lug. It isn't as bad as the moto 360 with the straps coming out very low on the case, but it does look a bit odd.

Eh, I've always hated the way lugs look. Outside of cracking issues, I don't understand why people buy steel connect lugs for their 360's. It really ruins the aesthetic of the watch.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Cool comparisons Grey. I may actually bring one of my plain jane watches with me tomorrow to compare as well. I still have no idea how this thing looks in real life :p

bms2993

Banned
Had some amazon gift card credit so I went ahead and ordered the spigen dock, case with screen protectors for the watch. Thought I would use the watch naked, but after thinking about it, it might be a good idea to protect it.

Wait, like a case for when it's at home docked or something?
Surely not while wearing it?

Surely.
JkPPsed.jpg
c1sSbGt.jpg
WRGuuXt.jpg
YsJ7sHw.jpg
dG0CecS.jpg

pharmx

I mean, I understand why people might think they need a case on their Apple Watch...but surely it has to do with its smart watch status, because I've never heard of a "protective" case for a worn watch otherwise, especially one marketed for daily use.

I mean, I understand why people might think they need a case on their Apple Watch...but surely it has to do with its smart watch status, because I've never heard of a "protective" case for a worn watch otherwise, especially one marketed for daily use.
I could see using a waterproof case to go swimming with the watch, but I wouldn't want to keep it on all the time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa a water proof watch case +waterproof earbuds would be suuuuuuuuper awesome

Blackhead

Redarse
That list doesn't include the Rolex Cellini collection many of which are less thick than an aWatch (up to 6mm thinner!)

Yup, that’s exactly what I’m getting at. luxury sporty watches (divers or chronos) are relatively thick.

If, like giga wrote a while back, someone wanted an apple watch to replace a thin dress watch, then it needs to go on a diet.

But for the majority of casual watches people wear? the 10.5 thickness won’t be an issue in comparisons.

that someone is Jony Ive innit? Although many luxury watch wearers own more than one, and would have a thin formal watch that passes the cuff test for the right occasions, Apple wants people to replace their dress watch (all their watches) with the aWatch.

But that's giga's problem. For the rest of us, 10.5mm is comfortable :p

borghe

I don't even understand screen protectors on phones. When phones had plastic capacitive displays and became scuffed, scratched or worn over time just by use then sure. But the glass on modern phones will hold up to all use short of dropping, and I haven't seen any evidence that shows that a screen protector has stopped any shattered glass. Every time I see a screen protector I smh and just think "that person knows so little about their phone..."

Cases I never personally used. That got me a (rear) shattered 4S. My 5S functioned perfectly and was even mostly fine except a bunch on nicks on the chamfer. There was a massive gouge on the back from one time at the gym... But it was sitting in a cubby so I'm not entirely sure how accidental that was. :/

So far my 6 is frankly the best designed iPhone I've ever had. 7 months with one concrete drop which resulted in just a couple minuscule nicks on the rounded metal side.

I won't begrudge case users, but they provide me so little peace of mind and make our sexy phones so huge.

Majine

Banned
I tried a case on my iPhone once, took it off after 10 minutes. I just couldn't do it. It just made it fatter, uglier and it felt cheaper in the hand.

Cases on the Apple Watch are monstrous.

bms2993

Banned
I canceled my order. I just couldn't justify it. Have been on the edge for awhile. You guys have fun, I'll just wear my normal watch.

Social

Every time I see a screen protector I smh and just think "that person knows so little about their phone..."

I'm sorry but although I just use a feather case with no screen protector, my wife surely needs full protection on her phone. We started with screen and back + sides protectors but it still wasn't good enough so I just gave her a full body case and it has been a life saver! These women man... They put their phone in their bags/purses together with keys and makeup or what have you, and it just scratches any phone all over at some point. She also likes to drop it so that case has saved her phone so many times!

jts

...hate me...
I think it's cool there's a case ecosystem brewing for the Apple Watch already. I mean, some people will definitely have some legit use cases (no pun intended) due to their activities, and yeah, a waterproof case is legit as hell. For summer vacations and for swimmers, for example.

And fret not, just like some of you don't understand why would someone use a case with their Apple Watch, some people don't even understand why would someone use an Apple Watch at all in the first place. Different levels of the same thing. Live and let live.

And the more personalized people make theirs, the more unique yours stays. Win/win.

number11

A case for sports/activities I can understand.. But a case for everyday use?

This reminds me of people who keep their sofas and chairs in plastic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's cool there's a case ecosystem brewing for the Apple Watch already. I mean, some people will definitely have some legit use cases (no pun intended) due to their activities, and yeah, a waterproof case is legit as hell. For summer vacations and for swimmers, for example.

And fret not, just like some of you don't understand why would someone use a case with their Apple Watch, some people don't even understand why would someone use an Apple Watch at all in the first place. Different levels of the same thing. Live and let live.

And the more personalized people make theirs, the more unique yours stays. Win/win.

a case is stupid because who wears a case on their normal watch? Nobody. You expect your watch to handle normal life's wear and tear. So should the apple watch. To be fair, Apple haven't suggested a case, it is just the smartphone accessories world jumping on things. People shouldn't be treating it like a phone, its a watch.

And a waterproof case is stupid because the watch should be waterproof in the first place.

jts

...hate me...
a case is stupid because who wears a case on their normal watch? Nobody. You expect your watch to handle normal life's wear and tear. So should the apple watch. To be fair, Apple haven't suggested a case, it is just the smartphone accessories world jumping on things. People shouldn't be treating it like a phone, its a watch.

And a waterproof case is stupid because the watch should be waterproof in the first place.

It is not a normal watch tho. I never used a case on a Nokia phone... and I also never used a case on my iPhone 3GS, and barely used one on my 4 (got a free one due to antenna-gate which I used sometimes until I lost it). But I use an Apple leather case on the 5. Because it looks and feels cool, and it adds protection on top of it.

The bottom line is that, it doesn't matter if it's watch, phone, tablet or whatever. It's an Apple product. Apple products typically have a myriad of third party (and sometimes 1st party) manufacturers doing all kinds of accessories within a wide range of price, taste and usefulness.

If it's a watch and you'll not treat it like a phone, will you not charge it every night then? Right. It's its own unique product, and people should not be bound by what category it should fall in so we follow some sort of holy word of how it should be used.

I'm not getting a case myself when I get the Watch, bar, say, an waterproof one for vacations if I think it's a good deal. And I agree, it should be waterproof. I expect that to happen within 3-4 generations.

Konka

Banned
I'll never understand the logic behind buying a nice looking piece of electronics only to put a hideous case on it.

borghe

Just saw this on Reddit, it's a nice comparison of the Watch and Sport.

I'm calling some sort of trickery/editing on those pics. The loop looks like a perfect IDENTICAL match for two completely different materials....

edit - for instance how you can see reflections on the flat part of the band's connector (at the bottom on the first pic) but then looks completely flat/matte in the second pic. And how the metal band is perfectly white balanced against BOTH bodies, even though both bodies are considerably different colors in real life.

Nope, just gorilla glass like the iPhone

incorrect.. it is a different glass (IonX) most presume is better than what's on iPhone, not as good as Sapphire.

I'll never understand the logic behind buying a nice looking piece of electronics only to put a hideous case on it.

Because some people are afraid of their own clumsiness and would love to keep it a "nice looking piece of electronics."

I hate cases in general, and there's no excuse for "hideous cases" (although even that is a matter of personal preference) but I do have a clear rubber case I *sometimes* use for my iPhone if I'm going somewhere that I know it may get tossed around or end up in dirty places (camping for example). I take it off and leave it naked most of the time because it is a beautiful looking thing. I don't even like putting it down barebacked on a table because I fear some invisible grain will grind its way across its back. I always have something to place it on that I think is somewhat clean or not scratchy.

But still, your logic above is why people buy cases. That first little scratch, no matter how small is always devastating.

I have decided to go with the 38mm White Sports band. I had both sizes preordered as I couldn't decide after one try on appointment which one to get. But I went and tried the larger one on and decided it was just a bit too big.

Konka

Banned
Because some people are afraid of their own clumsiness and would love to keep it a "nice looking piece of electronics."

I hate cases in general, and there's no excuse for "hideous cases" (although even that is a matter of personal preference) but I do have a clear rubber case I *sometimes* use for my iPhone if I'm going somewhere that I know it may get tossed around or end up in dirty places (camping for example). I take it off and leave it naked most of the time because it is a beautiful looking thing. I don't even like putting it down barebacked on a table because I fear some invisible grain will grind its way across its back. I always have something to place it on that I think is somewhat clean or not scratchy.

But still, your logic above is why people buy cases. That first little scratch, no matter how small is always devastating.

What's the point in keeping it nice if you never get to look at it because it's always behind the case?

That's where the logic gets circular for me. You put a case on it, to keep it nice to look at, but you can't look at it, because you put a case on it.

Top Bottom