• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

What's the point in keeping it nice if you never get to look at it because it's always behind the case?

That's where the logic gets circular for me. You put a case on it, to keep it nice to look at, but you can't look at it, because you put a case on it.

Put on a case outside, take it off inside. Everybody wins.

Vyer

What's the point in keeping it nice if you never get to look at it because it's always behind the case?

That's where the logic gets circular for me. You put a case on it, to keep it nice to look at, but you can't look at it, because you put a case on it.

it's not like the case is permanently attached. you can take it off whenever you want, go caseless whenever you want, etc.

plus you increase your chances it continues to look good for whenever you do want it out.

plus you might avoid the pain the ass or money required for having to get repairs/replacements.

plus the better condition it is the better it is for resale. Which helps cut into any cost of new electronics in the future.

Cases are not foolproof. Drops are always going to involve a bit of luck when it comes to damage. But I've definitely had cases save me from dents/scratches and possibly worse.

I understand not wanting to use a case. but there are plenty of valid reasons for using one.

except on a watch

Saw the watch in person and almost have a bit of regret not going with the larger model as it isn't all that large. Almost tempted to ebay my preorder and just wait til June for the 42mm sport watch. That would make the watch practically free.

mrkgoo

I'm caseless but it's not just about "looking nice". It's about protecting your stuff. Sure cases don't afford ultimate protection but it does afford some. The wrong drop and it might mean nothing, but it also might mean the difference between a broken screen or not.

Like I said, in caseless but I understand the value of it to some.

Not to mention some people resell and keeping it pristine aids in that.

Flo_Evans

I prefer the look of my iPhone with a case on it.. Doubly so for the feel. Apple leather case is godlike.

on the 6?

I think it makes it look goofy as hell... but I like setting my phone down on the table and was worried about scratching the protruding camera lens. Plus I think the thing is too damn thin to grip without it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm caseless but it's not just about "looking nice". It's about protecting your stuff. Sure cases don't afford ultimate protection but it does afford some. The wrong drop and it might mean nothing, but it also might mean the difference between a broken screen or not.

Like I said, in caseless but I understand the value of it to some.

Not to mention some people resell and keeping it pristine aids in that.

Sure. But that seems fairly unique to smartphones. Expensive electronic devices that live in hazardous environments (your pocket/bag along with your keys, coins etc) and are manhandled regularly above hard surfaces with no safety tethers.

Nobody puts cases on watches. Yet many are massively more expensive than even the top end iPhone. They are securely tethered so no risk of dropping one on the floor, and do not live in the same hazardous environment, they are usually coddled by a fabric sleeve. Why would the pattern of putting a case on a phone transfer to a watch simoly because it is made by the same company? Do people put cases on their Apple TVs? different product category, different requirements for protection.

mrkgoo

Sure. But that seems fairly unique to smartphones. Expensive electronic devices that live in hazardous environments (your pocket/bag along with your keys, coins etc) and are manhandled regularly above hard surfaces with no safety tethers.

Nobody puts cases on watches. Yet many are massively more expensive than even the top end iPhone. They are securely tethered so no risk of dropping one on the floor, and do not live in the same hazardous environment, they are usually coddled by a fabric sleeve. Why would the pattern of putting a case on a phone transfer to a watch simoly because it is made by the same company? Do people put cases on their Apple TVs? different product category, different requirements for protection.

I agree totally. But I wasn't arguing not said any of that. I was merely responding to a general "cases keep things looking nice by making it my look nice". My only argument is that looking nice isn't the only reason for a case.

Basically, people put cases on for different reasons. More power to them.

But I guess if you want some comments pea more on topic, cases in a watch make sense in other ways too. I wouldn't say that watches are "usually" covered by a sleeve. Sure, often, but what about summer when a lot of people are short sleeve? It's a glass screen that is exposed on a part of your body that is constantly doing things. You won't drop it, a common issue for phones That aren't attached, but with the watch you'll get other issues more commonly, such as grazing on walls, doorknobs, doors, tables etc.

On top of that, there will be a market for g-shock like protection for sports users.

Meh, I'm not disagreeing with you on anything. Just saying everyone has a different use case and scenario. Products existing for other people and not for me isn't really a concern of mine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I didn't mean to strike a cord with you all about cases. I'm sorry :(

No worries. I'm not surprised manufacturers have sprung up with them - the secondary market around Iphone is massive so I'm sure there is a market.

mrkgoo - wasn't arguing against you,more using your post as a kicking off point - sorry if it came off more than that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New guided tours are up - Phone Calls, Siri, Maps, and Music

http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours/

For the phone calls, presumably you don't need to transfer it to your iPhone - you can just pick up your phone and answer it directly? Otherwise that feels too much like it is pushed towards the watch

For maps, it isn't clear how the turn notifications work. Does it just vibrate and then you check the watch? Or can it inform you by bpvibration pattern whether to turn left/right? That would be cool I think.

Zutroy

Had a look at the watch in person today. Much smaller and better looking than pictures online present, especially the thickness.

I went from only being a bit interested because it was Apple to would probably have bought it this year if I wasn't saving money this year.

SuperPac

For the phone calls, presumably you don't need to transfer it to your iPhone - you can just pick up your phone and answer it directly? Otherwise that feels too much like it is pushed towards the watch

Yeah I agree - What happens if you press "Answer on iPhone"? Does it pick up immediately on speaker or what. Otherwise seems like that's a wasted/unnecessary button. They also didn't show a process for answering it on the watch and then transferring it to the phone. I assume that it's a Handoff thing but *shrug*.

For maps, it isn't clear how the turn notifications work. Does it just vibrate and then you check the watch? Or can it inform you by bpvibration pattern whether to turn left/right? That would be cool I think.

It informs you via vibration pattern whether it's a left or right turn.

cakefoo

Yeah I agree - What happens if you press "Answer on iPhone"? Does it pick up immediately on speaker or what. Otherwise seems like that's a wasted/unnecessary button. They also didn't show a process for answering it on the watch and then transferring it to the phone. I assume that it's a Handoff thing but *shrug*.
Perhaps it adds a few rings before voicemail so you have more time to catch the call.

The handoff interface will probably be on the phone, from the same icon that lets you pick speaker, handset, and bluetooth headset.

In a new report from KGI’s Ming-Chi Kuo, the analyst estimates that global pre-orders for the Apple Watch will top 2.3 million units through May. A report earlier this week claimed that Apple Watch first day pre-orders were at almost 1 million units.

Further breaking it down by specific model, Kuo estimates that the Sport model of the Apple Watch accounted for 85 percent of pre-orders, while the Apple Watch accounted for 15 percent, and the Edition less than 1 percent.

Kuo goes on to say that the production issues surrounding the Apple Watch center around the vibration unit of the device and the display. The display is provided by LG’s display unit. Kuo claims that Apple appears to be aiming at producing 2-3 million Watches per month.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/15/apple-watche-pre-orders/

mrkgoo

No worries. I'm not surprised manufacturers have sprung up with them - the secondary market around Iphone is massive so I'm sure there is a market.

mrkgoo - wasn't arguing against you,more using your post as a kicking off point - sorry if it came off more than that.

Nah didn't come off like that really. Looks we were doing the same thing :p

JimCarreyWhoYaTalkingTo.gif

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
went to my try on appt (was late). Unfortunately the lady I had was VERY new.. you could tell she was trained but was really working to "get it all down". It kind of made for a confusing experience.. Such as

They didn't have 42mm Stainless Steel Black Sport band... huh? I have to believe that was THE SINGLE MOST POPULAR stainless steel model.. how don't you have it? Grrr (I actually am annoyed as I wanted to feel the weight)

She was unsure if the classic buckle came in any other colors.. not huge.. but did take more than a few seconds for her to get an answer (and the watch kiosk has no band information...)

She was unsure of the demo that ran on the try-on. On top of that the demo is short and sort of lame...

ok, those three gripes out of the way...

Sport band is..... a sport band.. I don't agree with others here that it feels cheap, but it does feel the CHEAPEST of the bands.. but it's not like an old quarter machine digital spider-man watch or anything.. I would not feel lame/out of place wearing it to they gym.. probably similar to anything else anyone has on there..

not a fan of the leather loop. was never a fan of the look.. is awkward to put on.. I will say though it was amazingly secure. clever and being secure are both a plus... but it just isn't my thing.

classic buckle is CRAZY light and pretty standard. decent quality though not blow me away leather. a really middle of the road band and probably the extra one I'll order (maybe even when I'm done typing this)

was disappointed with the try on of the stainless steel bracelet. I mean I guess I shouldn't be.. but you can't feel the wear or the accurate weight because (obviously) they won't let you adjust it. thing is friggin damn gorgeous though... ugh.. $450... and possibly worth it. But man would I be pissed dropping that and then find it to be either still too heavy or uncomfortable... this will take some consideration..

beyond that, I messed with the actual demo (non-wearable) watches. I echo others' observations that the Watch isn't "instantly" navigable.. However it only took me a few seconds to pick up on it..

Tap to turn the watch face on.
Press crown to go Home
double press crown to switch between last two apps.
double press crown on Home to go to watch face
button for favorites
double click button for apple pay

the oddest thing for me was honestly the force touch. it is WEIRD. Once you understand it.. it's actually a pretty amazing piece of tech... but my instinct was always "longer", not "harder". so I'd push "hard" on it and stuff would only half activate.. and it was messing with me.. then I was like "oh you have to press HARD on it......." and then it worked.. then it was kind of cool because as you applied and released pressure menus would come in and out of focus.. again, not "apple" intuitive IMHO... but once you get it, a pretty amazing piece of tech.

anyway, I left the demo lukewarm.. I don't really think it's an item that demos well to be frank.. but honestly, the stuff I CARE about... they don't really have the ability to demo. especially stuff like specifics on the taptic signals /patterns.. notifications actually live (not demo), etc. go through a whole workout for heart rate, etc.

so... nothing left me walking away thinking "greatest thing ever!!!!!!!" but at the same time nothing had me walking away regretting my purchase. Still looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

But at the same time I'll echo many reviewers.. if this sounds like something you'll use, you'll love the shit out of it.. if you're asking "why would I need one" and none of this sounds like a good answer, you probably won't find much use.

with that being said, within 5 years wearables are going to be the norm.. we just need a few more iterations.. and a few more every day features built into them.

japtor

I'm calling some sort of trickery/editing on those pics. The loop looks like a perfect IDENTICAL match for two completely different materials....

edit - for instance how you can see reflections on the flat part of the band's connector (at the bottom on the first pic) but then looks completely flat/matte in the second pic. And how the metal band is perfectly white balanced against BOTH bodies, even though both bodies are considerably different colors in real life.
Probably just lighting and/or camera corrections getting it wrong, wouldn't be surprised if the loop's details (pattern/color/reflections/highlights) mess with that stuff a bit. The milanese loop's connector on the long edges are matte ("brushed"?) though, while the sides are polished like the SS casing, it's kinda weird I guess.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
I ordered a Sport the moment the app went back online... still 4-6 weeks. I doubt there is anybody in Germany with release date deliverey.
A few moments later, I orderes a SS version because I thought that one would be here faster. Also 4-6 weeks...
I don't really prefere any of the two models I orderes, so I want to keep the one that arrives first. My question is: will the faster one be delayed due to waiting for the second watch or are there handeled and sent completely seperate?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Borghe - how adjustable is the steel band? You'd think for such an expensive band, they'd be able to at least have 3-4 pre-adjusted straps so you can try and get a rough fit. Do they offer an adjustment service for free in store or do you have to do it yourself/go to a local watch guy for it? For $450 I'd want to walk out with it perfect.

And did you notice the attachment points being matte rather than the polished steel of the case? Seems quite non-apple to have not matched up the connector properly.

I'd still be tempted to see what the third party market comes up with. I bet you'll get some really nice bands for way less than apple are charging.

Edit: stainless link bracelet is self-adjustable - see this video at around 3 minutes http://youtu.be/ZMwU3rRcmVY

SuperPac

Apple has taken the "Available 4.24.15" off their website (wuh-oh). And Angela Ahrendts has confirmed via a memo to retail that they won't have stock for walk-ins until June.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Angela Ahrendts said:
I know this is a different experience for our customers, and a change for you as well. Are we going to launch every product this way from now on? No. We all love those blockbuster Apple product launch days—and there will be many more to come. They’re the moments where you, our teams, shine. And our customers love them as well!

Hopefully the shipping times/dates on pre-orders start changing in the next day or three...would be good to know if I'm actually getting my watch on launch or if I'm further into the two-week 4/24-5/8 window. :'(

borghe

Correct. Easily adjustable but thy won't let you do ANYTHING with the bands at the try on. She apparently was not even allowed to swap the black sport band that she had RIGHT THERE to the 42mm steel body that was right there out at the same time.

I guess my biggest annoyance is I really wanted to see how the two combos I am most interested in felt, and one combo they didn't have, and the other (steel link) was nowhere near what it would have been like on my wrist.

I get that they can only have so many of the options... And I'm assuming the strict policies are for security so stuff doesn't wander out of the store.

On the plus side I was pretty impressed by the classic buckle. Unless there's a third party band that blows me away even more (quality over price) it's likely the second band I'll have for the watch. Just wish they had it in a brown leather.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple has taken the "Available 4.24.15" off their website (wuh-oh). And Angela Ahrendts has confirmed via a memo to retail that they won't have stock for walk-ins until June.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Hopefully the shipping times/dates on pre-orders start changing in the next day or three...would be good to know if I'm actually getting my watch on launch or if I'm further into the two-week 4/24-5/8 window. :'(

Either insane demand, or low production volumes. My guess would be the latter, as the push towards online for reservations was done early, and that means they wouldn't need to deal with spreading low stock across their retail stores (an issue multiplied by the number of skus)

SuperPac

Apple has also updated the description of what's in the box to explain that with the sport band you get 3 pieces to make 1 band.

CCteg13UMAAa9uz.png

I looked up some videos and reviews and they all seem to match how I feel about the watch, it's cool, it's a great start but like the original iphone maybe wait a few generations before buying one to last.

yogloo

I'm thinking of getting an apple watch and wearing it purely as a watch and fitness tracker. Only going to sync it with my old iphone at home. How much battery life do you think I will get out of it?

Frostburn

I'm thinking of getting an apple watch and wearing it purely as a watch and fitness tracker. Only going to sync it with my old iphone at home. How much battery life do you think I will get out of it?

A days worth, maybe a bit more but thats pushing it. Unless you don't turn it on much throughout the day to check it.

jts

...hate me...

How old iPhone are we talking about though? Don't forget that it only pairs with the 5 or newer.

SuperPac

Why not just buy a Polar, Fitbit or Garmin fitness tracking watch then? You don't really "sync" the Watch to your phone. The Watch is an extension of the phone. If you're not going to have your iPhone around you very often (and you say "old" - is it at least a 5?), it'd be real hard to justify getting it.

borghe

yeah.. I'm really thinking next year's isn't going to be an ipad->ipad2 level of upgrade. If anything I am guessing most people will still hold onto their 1st gen.. and those who upgrade probably won't go through that much effort to sell this one for not too shabby a price.

for me to upgrade there would need to be further hardware detachment from iphone (GPS being a big one I would likely upgrade for). I don't really know what else they could do with the hardware in a year that would win me over for a definite upgrade like that though.

jts

...hate me...
yeah.. I'm really thinking next year's isn't going to be an ipad->ipad2 level of upgrade. If anything I am guessing most people will still hold onto their 1st gen.. and those who upgrade probably won't go through that much effort to sell this one for not too shabby a price.

for me to upgrade there would need to be further hardware detachment from iphone (GPS being a big one I would likely upgrade for). I don't really know what else they could do with the hardware in a year that would win me over for a definite upgrade like that though.

GPS and waterproof are the big ones for me.

borghe

GPS and waterproof are the big ones for me.

I really don't see substantial waterproofing happening. A device with both a speaker and a mic makes it EXTREMELY difficult. I feel people are (for now) just going to have to accept that as a limitation of these new wearables.

jts

...hate me...
I really don't see substantial waterproofing happening. A device with both a speaker and a mic makes it EXTREMELY difficult. I feel people are (for now) just going to have to accept that as a limitation of these new wearables.

It's hard. But it's possible. You can see it in phones. In fact, the speaker in the Apple Watch is already water resistant, the whole circuitry is incapsulated and the charging is exclusively wireless. I know, these are also important to have a water resistant device, which is the bare minimum for a wearable... but I can't shake the feeling that they are also the foundation for waterproofing it in the future, which is a feature that I would deem as withholdable from a generation 1 device, as it's not vital. But could be an awesome upgrade incentive in the future.

The Jawbone UP3 was supposed to be waterproof which would make it an incredible wearable, together with its myriad of sensors. Unfortunately, they couldn't pull it off.

Blackhead

Redarse

Sony SmartBand Talk has both a speaker and a mic and is waterproof (IP68).

Top Bottom