• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

yogloo

Why not just buy a Polar, Fitbit or Garmin fitness tracking watch then? You don't really "sync" the Watch to your phone. The Watch is an extension of the phone. If you're not going to have your iPhone around you very often (and you say "old" - is it at least a 5?), it'd be real hard to justify getting it.

How old iPhone are we talking about though? Don't forget that it only pairs with the 5 or newer.

I have a 5.

The watch looks beautiful. All of the dedicated tracking watched look terrible. It can still work as a fitness tracker without the iPhone around right? I wonder how limited it will be on a disconnected state.

jjabramsapplewatch.jpg

jts

...hate me...
I have a 5.

The watch looks beautiful. All of the dedicated tracking watched look terrible. It can still work as a fitness tracker without the iPhone around right? I wonder how limited it will be on a disconnected state.

The Jawbone UP3 and UP4 have pretty good design (Yves Béhar), and the UP3 and 4 have features up the wazoo, more sensors than the Apple Watch and way longer battery life (up to a week).

$179 or $199

However, it doesn't have a watch display. That's a huge missed opportunity. Also, not waterproof, just water resistant like the Apple Watch.

Other good looking suggestion is the Withings Activité.

+Is an actual watch
+Looks seriously good
+8 MONTHS of battery life
+Actually waterproof

-fucking expensive ($450)
-bit less fitness features than the UP, but better if you're a swimmer.

2 great options imo vs using the Apple Watch in a gimped manner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you want GPS then can't you just use the iPhone, you don't need a watch for that at all?

If you want a stopwatch, there are lots of non-fitness watches that will have chronographs

If you want heart rate monitoring then a polar bluetooth chest strap will sync to your iPhone

ckohler

I haven't seen this explained anywhere:

When you get notifications or a phone call on your Apple Watch, does your phone still make noise/vibrate/etc? Or does it remain quiet?

I haven't seen this explained anywhere:

When you get notifications or a phone call on your Apple Watch, does your phone still make noise/vibrate/etc? Or does it remain quiet?

Pretty sure I read that it if your phone is locked, then it will only buzz the watch. If you are using your phone unlocked then the notification will pop up on your phone and it knows to not buzz the watch.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Apple has taken the "Available 4.24.15" off their website (wuh-oh). And Angela Ahrendts has confirmed via a memo to retail that they won't have stock for walk-ins until June.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Hopefully the shipping times/dates on pre-orders start changing in the next day or three...would be good to know if I'm actually getting my watch on launch or if I'm further into the two-week 4/24-5/8 window. :'(

Mine is still showing as June, last I looked. :-(

Terrell

Apple has taken the "Available 4.24.15" off their website (wuh-oh). And Angela Ahrendts has confirmed via a memo to retail that they won't have stock for walk-ins until June.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Hopefully the shipping times/dates on pre-orders start changing in the next day or three...would be good to know if I'm actually getting my watch on launch or if I'm further into the two-week 4/24-5/8 window. :'(
With so many SKUs, a hardware launch any other way would have looked devastatingly bad as opposed to iffy like it has been.
A learning experience, to be sure. Their #1 takeaway should be to sell it with the sport band by default and just make the other straps as accessories only so they can shore up stock at stores for launch day.

mcfrank

Did my try on session tonight. As I anticipated, 42mm steel with the link bracelet is the one I want. I liked the sport more than I thought I would but the steel one still looked quite a bit better to me. I liked the black and white sports bands. Cross your fingers my wife gets me one for my birthday.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
With so many SKUs, a hardware launch any other way would have looked devastatingly bad as opposed to iffy like it has been.
A learning experience, to be sure. Their #1 takeaway should be to sell it with the sport band by default and just make the other straps as accessories only so they can shore up stock at stores for launch day.
it that doesn't really matter, if since they sold out of every single one they could make before launch.

The bands are not what constrained the supply of the bodies.

Juice

it doesn't really matter if they sold out of every single one they could make before launch.

The bands are not what constrained the supply of the bodies.

Right, this. I get why they're selling forty SKUs but not many companies would sign up for an SCM nightmare like this. I'd rather they gone with ala carte skus and a physical retail launch, but clearly they're trying to move to a showroom luxury model

kaskade

So I decided to ask my barber what he thought about the watch out of curiosity. Turns out he stayed up until 3 AM to order his too. We started joking about it and he was like not you can just tap three times when you're coming over for a cut. The future is wonderful.

iMax

So I decided to ask my barber what he thought about the watch out of curiosity. Turns out he stayed up until 3 AM to order his too. We started joking about it and he was like not you can just tap three times when you're coming over for a cut. The future is wonderful.

One of the guys at my local takeaway is getting one. Might ask him if he'll let me tap him for my usual order!

jts

...hate me...
Such a wide gap in price between the sport and watch models. Like, i love the steel too but to fork another $300 for one?

Eeeeehh. I am so undecided

Edit: $200 i mean.
$200 may seem harsh but I think a $100 difference would become almost a no-brainer and hence undermine the Sport too much.

You have to factor in the sapphire glass and ceramic back as well.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
$200 may seem harsh but I think a $100 difference would become almost a no-brainer and hence undermine the Sport too much.

You have to factor in the sapphire glass and ceramic back as well.

exactly. retail 101.

though IMHO the 16GB vs. 64GB iphone 6 ($100) is the same no-brainer, yet the 16GB phone I believe is still the top seller... so go figure.

Are all of the bands except the basic sport designed to coordinate with the stainless steel watch?

Yup. I tried a few on in Boston today. I put the Milanese loop on the black aluminum. If you look right where it connects, it is a tad odd. However I took a few pics head on and it looks fine. Plus, I looked at it on the table and it was good that way. The regular aluminum looks great too. The leather band may be my favorite though. It was super comfy. Also the rubber did not rub my skin the wrong way or pinch/burn.

number11

That plug is great.. I'm more excited about it than the watch lol

I'm sure it's been done before, but i'm surprised you don't see folding plugs more often.

SuperPac

I know, I'm checking my order every four hours now it seems. I need therapy.

I have the Deliveries app on my phone in my notification center - that checks for me, luckily. Otherwise I would be just like you (and sometimes I still check it the "old" way. You know, just to be sure. Double sure. Quadruple sure it hasn't changed yet.

Tried one on yesterday, though I most likely won't get one until at least the second iteration.

In any case, the 42mm stood out better on my wrist versus the 38mm, though I'm not too sure which size the band was on the sport watch I tried (might've been the M/L I think).

Despite trying on the leather bands and the Milanese loop, I still kept coming back to the sport band strangely enough.

If I were to get one today, I'd probably go with the Space Grey 42mm with a white sport band. The moment a Product Red sport band is out, I'd be all over that too.

iMax

I have the Deliveries app on my phone in my notification center - that checks for me, luckily. Otherwise I would be just like you (and sometimes I still check it the "old" way. You know, just to be sure. Double sure. Quadruple sure it hasn't changed yet.

How can you do that without a shipping number?

Phreaker

I know, I live here :)

I mean the folding prongs. Looks really compact if it is a USB adapter. Closest equivalent would be some old Nokia chargers I have where the earth pin popped out.

Oh! ha :)

I assumed it was the USB wall adapter for the UK. Is that not what they look like for the iPhone6?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I want a timer that taps you in second intervals silently so you can count seconds along with them.

jts

...hate me...
customband.png

Dem exclusive bands.

Apple pls.

I'll need a fiery color at some point, pink is nice but doesn't cut it. I want that red or orange one.

Dem exclusive bands.

Apple pls.

I'll need a fiery color at some point, pink is nice but doesn't cut it. I want that red or orange one.

Why are they doing that? I don't accept its for marketing purposes because why market exclusivity for a company that millions have bought into?
Gold watches for the 1% and exclusive options for the rich and famous. I love Apple products but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose that's what happens when you hire fashion people.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Seeing how many people now are expecting to get their watches in freaking June...it makes me feel so much better about waking up at 3AM last Friday. It was fucking annoying but so worth it. I wish Apple would do better preorder times somehow.

Hasney

Seeing how many people now are expecting to get their watches in freaking June...it makes me feel so much better about waking up at 3AM last Friday. It was fucking annoying but so worth it. I wish Apple would do better preorder times somehow.

Nah, it makes sense. Your most hardcore will wake up for it, whereas if it was midday or something, the store would be overloaded and guys like you who would have woken up might have gotten a June ship date purely because you couldn't connect to the server.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I canceled my kickstarter pledge for the Click adapter at the last minute yesterday. I may save up for the Milanese loop instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if they should do it lottery style, so they don't punish those that can't get up at 3am to preorder something. Eg everyone that preorders in the first 12-24 hours goes into a hat.

Likewise - for the watch at least - they should have had a system that didn't penalise those people booking try on appointments. They are sensible and will be less likely to return the 'wrong' watch. Blind preorderers may preorder two with the intent to return or sell on one.

Top Bottom