• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Frostburn

Not yet. No way to order a Silver Sport with black band, and no way to order the Space Gray Sport with anything other than a black band.

Thanks for the confirmation, it doesn't make sense to me at all unless Apple really wanted people to be bothered enough about those options to spend another $200 for a Apple Watch Stainless steel so they can get their silver and black.

I will say the other watch bands are very nice but all are overpriced quite high. A sport band shouldn't be more then $25 tops and the $150 bands should be $50-$60. Shame really but I guess Apple is still making plenty of sales.

Thanks for the confirmation, it doesn't make sense to me at all unless Apple really wanted people to be bothered enough about those options to spend another $200 for a Apple Watch Stainless steel so they can get their silver and black.

I will say the other watch bands are very nice but all are overpriced quite high. A sport band shouldn't be more then $25 tops and the $150 bands should be $50-$60. Shame really but I guess Apple is still making plenty of sales.

I agree. I wish Apple would have made orders more customizable (wouldn't be surprised if they do so in the future), but I understand why they didn't at launch at least. They were already dealing with a good amount of SKUs, which can make for a messy launch as it is. I imagine at some point we'll see an ordering system where you pick your watch, then pick any choice of band (premium ones will obviously cost extra), and then Apple will ship that configuration to you. Unless they see tons of people buying extra bands, in which case they will keep things the same to try and get people to spend extra money on a 2nd band.

kaskade

I guess some people are getting tracking notifications through UPS. Doesn't apple usually use FedEx though? I'm assuming we will start to see tracking numbers on tomorrow.

I guess some people are getting tracking notifications through UPS. Doesn't apple usually use FedEx though? I'm assuming we will start to see tracking numbers on tomorrow.

Everything I've ever ordered from Apple, including launch products were shipped via FedEx.

Edit: Typo.

SuperPac

Looks like 38mm SS w/Black Sport Bands are being charged. I assume that the 42s will be next and all will be well with my order. C'mon 42mm.

Namikaze

My iPhone 6 was shipped from China to my town via UPS. I did a "will call" to pick it up and everything.

DarkWish

Just got an Apple Pay notification that I was charged for the Apple Watch! Order still says processing, but that will probably change pretty soon. Yay!

Ordered the 42mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop at 3:03 am eastern.

UPDATE: 45 minutes later and it's now preparing for shipment!

SuperPac

UPS has assigned my wife's watch a tracking number. So I know that one's coming Friday. Still awaiting movement on mine.

kaskade

People are definitely getting tracking numbers on Macrumors. Seems like the same thing as yesterday around 5 pm eastern. Hopefully mine pops up soon.

Tabris

Is this normal for any other people's regions - apparently there will be no day 1 stock available for purchase (if lining up) - all stock has been reserved by online pre-order and only way to buy it is online pre-order (which is now set to June).

This is a first for Apple. I've been able to line up for every other product in the morning and I buy every new product.

I'm super disappointed. This is for Vancouver, Canada.

cakefoo

Have Apple's delivery estimates on backordered items been pretty accurate in the past?

An employee yesterday said to me, "Hopefully you'll get it sooner."

I wonder if that was said based on past experiences?

Finally got the credit card warning that my card received a big charge. Now into 'Preparing for Shipment'.

38mm Stainless Steel with black sport band. My confirmation was 3 minutes after they went on sale. Apple Pay.

Rayme

Has anyone had to update their payment info, and have also since then had their status moved forward to "preparing for shipment"? Worried that the payment-info problem (that I just noticed and resolved) means I lost my place in line.

(I ordered w/ Apple Pay, but have since restored the phone, meaning that the old number was invalidated. Thanks again for whoever was giving the heads-up here.)

Is this normal for any other people's regions - apparently there will be no day 1 stock available for purchase (if lining up) - all stock has been reserved by online pre-order and only way to buy it is online pre-order (which is now set to June).

This is a first for Apple. I've been able to line up for every other product in the morning and I buy every new product.

I'm super disappointed. This is for Vancouver, Canada.

This is the case everywhere that Apple Watch was available for pre-order. Apple has already said that it will be at least June until units are available for sale in Apple Stores.

Has anyone had to update their payment info, and have also since then had their status moved forward to "preparing for shipment"? Worried that the payment-info problem (that I just noticed and resolved) means I lost my place in line.

(I ordered w/ Apple Pay, but have since restored the phone, meaning that the old number was invalidated. Thanks again for whoever was giving the heads-up here.)

I had to update my bill-to address and my order advanced to preparing for shipment. My bill-to address still displays incorrectly on the apple store order detail page, but it's correct with their order system. Changing payment info shouldn't have any effect on your order from what I was told from apple customer service.

kaskade

I had the same issue and it didn't seem to cause any issues. Just check the billing/shipping address to make sure that's ok. I had an issue with that but I don't think it was related.

Tabris

This is the case everywhere that Apple Watch was available for pre-order. Apple has already said that it will be at least June until units are available for sale in Apple Stores.

Yeah, that's unique though as no other products have been like this. At least since the original iPad and iPhone 3 (I didn't line up to buy those - I have for every other product).

Did they just underestimate demand grossly, or sapphire crystal production just isn't fast enough, or they just wanted to be conservative?

I think they are missing an opportunity here as the product won't be as good as the fad is. I want it more than I need it.

japtor

I guess it really depends on how they implement it. I'd imagine if they were smart it would default to one big button you could tap for "next slide", and then force touch for more options (like going back). This way, if you were up front presenting, you could tap your wrist without looking, and only have to fiddle if you accidentally skipped a slide.
Just use horizontal swipes to go back and forth on slides.
But the screen would time out after about ten seconds, so you'd need to do that tilt wrist motion, or tap your watch to wake it up. Does the last active app stay on the screen or does it switch back to the watch?
I think one of the reviews mentioned you could have it either bring up the clock (the default) or keep the last used app up.
Yeah, that's unique though as no other products have been like this. At least since the original iPad and iPhone 3 (I didn't line up to buy those - I have for every other product).

Did they just underestimate demand grossly, or sapphire crystal production just isn't fast enough, or they just wanted to be conservative?

I think they are missing an opportunity here as the product won't be as good as the fad is. I want it more than I need it.
There's just a crapload of combinations and apparently high demand. They probably got rid of the line just cause there'd be a decent chance (more than the usual launch) that you wouldn't be able to get the one you wanted anyway.

Namikaze

Good to see the IonX glass isn't scratched up by keys/knives. I think I'll be good with the sport until my arms/pockets/house etc. all turn into sandpaper like material.

mr stroke

Went into Apple Store to pick up new MacBook and damn they got me

They let me try on the silver melenise loop and damn is it sexy, gadget lust couldn't hold back.

Ordered one, and now the loooooong wait till May/June :(

pwack

Well, I'm certainly glad I went for the Sapphire now.

Don't be too relieved.

Sapphire is a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. If it comes into contact with a brick wall or sandpaper, it will get scratched too.

For example, a lot of sandpaper uses artificial corundum, which had a Mohs rating of 9 as well.

TxdoHawk

It's a weird way to test a watch face, you are far more likely to smack or scrape the screen into a wall or something. If they wanted a good test that could minic a real life disaster, scrape it against brick.

What I find baffling is that there is no Watch face store yet. That's a pretty big thing.

Yeah me too...unless Apple wants to keep them first party to control the overall aesthetic of the watch for the time being? Same goes for their weird emoticon things.

That being said I kinda really want a novelty pip boy themed watch face...

Ambient80

What I find baffling is that there is no Watch face store yet. That's a pretty big thing.

I have a feeling that when the first big update comes they'll have a spot in the app store for watch faces. Isn't it in the Fall when the update comes that will allow for native apps? If so, I could see it happening then.

oatmeal

Banned
Went into Apple Store to pick up new MacBook and damn they got me

They let me try on the silver melenise loop and damn is it sexy, gadget lust couldn't hold back.

Ordered one, and now the loooooong wait till May/June :(
Sounds like you don't wear spiky bracelets

oatmeal

Banned
The thing about this watch that I don't get...

The battery life lasts a day...that's great...but the battery will lose capacity after a year or so...then it won't last a day...and then soon it won't last the morning.

Then you're left with a dead watch...for something like watches which are an investment (with normal watches) that can last you years and years...it's kind of bizarre to me.

Is there a battery program?

Epix

Don't be too relieved.

Sapphire is a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. If it comes into contact with a brick wall or sandpaper, it will get scratched too.

For example, a lot of sandpaper uses artificial corundum, which had a Mohs rating of 9 as well.

Well in this video they rub the sapphire screen against a brick wall, scratch it with a coin, scratch it with a key, scratch it with sandpaper, tap it with a hammer, and drill into it with a power drill. No scratches.

Top Bottom