• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

pwack

The thing about this watch that I don't get...

The battery life lasts a day...that's great...but the battery will lose capacity after a year or so...then it won't last a day...and then soon it won't last the morning.

Then you're left with a dead watch...for something like watches which are an investment (with normal watches) that can last you years and years...it's kind of bizarre to me.

Is there a battery program?

$80 for a new battery if out of warranty.

https://support.apple.com/kb/index?...States&product=watch&select=WARRANTY__PRICING

Sean

Banned
I have a feeling that when the first big update comes they'll have a spot in the app store for watch faces. Isn't it in the Fall when the update comes that will allow for native apps? If so, I could see it happening then.

I think they'll save custom watch faces for gen 2 (along with new bands), would make a bigger splash there.

The thing about this watch that I don't get...

The battery life lasts a day...that's great...but the battery will lose capacity after a year or so...then it won't last a day...and then soon it won't last the morning.

Then you're left with a dead watch...for something like watches which are an investment (with normal watches) that can last you years and years...it's kind of bizarre to me.

Is there a battery program?

You seem to have an accelerated belief in battery death. After even more than two years I've never had battery life shorten any noticable amount. My mom still has my iPad 1 that I bought on launch day, it still only needs charging every two or three days (note that my mom doesn't spend 10 hours streaming video over wifi, like Apple did in their battery tests). And don't forget the 42mm watch has a larger battery, and the 18 hour tests were done on 38mm.

As was mentioned, Apple will replace the battery for $79 out of warranty, if it is charging to less than 80% of capacity. The warranty lasts one year, two years if you pay extra for AppleCare+.

I have a feeling that when the first big update comes they'll have a spot in the app store for watch faces. Isn't it in the Fall when the update comes that will allow for native apps? If so, I could see it happening then.
Apple hasn't really said when it was yet, just that it was going to be "later this year". Some people think they'll be revealing the native-app sdk to developers at WWDC (June 8). Note that Apple may decide to reject any third-party watchface apps, deciding instead to let the watch get a "signature look" over the first year before diluting it (Android watches did the same thing).

Still not sold on the watch, it's just too damn pricey.

I love it as a fashion item and I really want one, but I've learned my lesson with buying first generation products from Apple.

subrock

Still not sold on the watch, it's just too damn pricey.

I love it as a fashion item and I really want one, but I've learned my lesson with buying first generation products from Apple.
Yeah but don't you at lest get one fun year out of it until the lustre wears off? I plan on selling my watch every year as I do with my phones.

Apple generally doesn't really make big improvements on new devices until the third generation anyways, so
I plan to have two good years with my watch. And then I'll replace it with AR which puts a virtual watch on my wrist...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Idk,
second gen ipod had a capacitive wheel intead of mechanical

second gen iphone had 3G/GPS (though a severe step back in build quality. I never bought one of these for that reason)

second gen iPad was significantly smaller and faster

second gen iPad Mini was a giant leap

second gen Macbook Air was a gigantic step forward

idk

Majine

Banned
The second gen products are usually the big leap because by that time they will have data (for the first time on a wide scale) on how people use it and will make tweaks to accommodate that.

Good to see the IonX glass isn't scratched up by keys/knives. I think I'll be good with the sport until my arms/pockets/house etc. all turn into sandpaper like material.
THE SANDPAPER APOCALYPSE IS COMING. APPLE WATCHES ARE THE FIRST HERALD.

Exactly. It'll be fine. Unless there's some insane real world place you wear this where you shouldn't (sandpaper factory, smelting plant where you work the smelter) it's not going to get scratched. And if it does, just buy a new one! It's half the price of the sapphire so you can upgrade in a year!

Is the IonX glass stronger than what is currently in the iPhone 6/+? If so, I wonder if they'll transition to that since a sapphire phone seems far away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Idk,

second gen iphone had 3G/GPS (though a severe step back in build quality. I never bought one of these for that reason)

idk

I'm just not sure what people are expecting from a second gen watch. Android wear isn't big because those manufacturers are shit, you just need to fit a lot in. Apple watch is already smaller than those devices (38mm a lot smaller) so that would suggest that there isn't much room for a dramatic drop in size. Performance is still to be determined, but that will at least partly be bound by BT4.0 speeds - and native apps don't seem to be very demanding so outright performance should be OK. That leaves GPS (which I bet they add as soon as the battery supports it) and battery life (which is a factor of the size so they may be limited in what they can do there)

I'm looking forward to a tear down actually, see how big the battery is Vs the 300-400mAh of the android wears

Idk,

The iPhone 3GS didn't have the build quality of the first one true, but then again no other iPhone has the build quality of the first one. They should put one in a museum someday. On the other hand, the 3GS is damn near indestructible due to the plastic back. The aluminum trim on the newer ones looks nice, but it's way too susceptible to dents.

Personally I think all the iPads were underwhelming until the iPad Air. The Air is what the iPad should have been to start with. They finally got it down to a slimness and weight where it feels good to carry it around casually, or hold it while browsing or watching video.

What I find baffling is that there is no Watch face store yet. That's a pretty big thing.

It will be a while before Apple gets around to that. They need native App support first for one thing.

Also two watch faces that Apple originally showed didn't make it to the shipping watch. Incidentally, they were the only two that didn't make prominent use of black space. Because black uses less power on an OLED I am guessing they were cut for battery reasons. They can't allow 3rd party faces yet if they are going to affect the battery too much. I don't think we will see non-Apple watch faces for 2 years. Until then, new ones will show up kind of like new Apple TV Apps appear.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Rj3nXgm.png

neS5Og4.gif

jts

...hate me...
Re: watch faces. That's a HUGE part of the core experience of the Apple Watch. It's like a second layer of the home screen. Is what the Watch boots to. It's its identity. You can launch apps from there via complications. It's what it shows when you wake it up. It determines battery usage. Apple didn't even approve some of their own watch faces either because of battery usage or for showing the bezel thus breaking the illusion.

Yeah, so hell will freeze the tiniest bit first before 3rd parties are able to tap into that. Even still, if it ever happens, the restrictions will be more than tight. You basically won't program it, just draw what the hands and number fonts can look like, play around with some pre-baked toys to enable having them or not on your watch face (like complications, or the 4 letter engraving etc). We're still years away from that if ever. Like 3rd party iPhone app launchers or lockscreens or notification/control centers. /speculation

Re: Ion-X glass. Pretty much to be expected. Scratch free unless you bump into nasty stuff. Just like the iPhone I don't have a single scratch on my iPhone 5 after using one for almost 3 years (much better performance than the glass from the 3GS and 4 I had prior to that - and the newest glass is supposed to be better).

Idk,

idk
Second gen iphone added basic 3G/GPS, true, but third-gen doubled Internet speed, greatly increased the CPU speed, added a new GPU that could do things like bump mapping that the older GPU couldn't, doubled the memory, added the ability to record videos from the camera, increased the camera resolution. The 3G was just a small upgrade filling in a gap that should have been in first-gen, 3GS was like a new phone.

IPad 2 was significantly faster and added a camera and was a little thinner/lighter, but iPad 3 added that retina display (as well as doubling that speed, memory, camera quality, and GPU cores). Reviews at the launch if the iPad 2 called it "evolutionary", the ipad 3 was called "revolutionary".

Apple's big improvements are generally in the third-gen.

jts

...hate me...
Second gen iphone added basic 3G/GPS, true, but third-gen doubled Internet speed, greatly increased the CPU speed, added a new GPU that could do things like bump mapping that the older GPU couldn't, doubled the memory, added the ability to record videos from the camera, increased the camera resolution. The 3G was just a small upgrade filling in a gap that should have been in first-gen, 3GS was like a new phone.

IPad 2 was significantly faster and added a camera and was a little thinner/lighter, but iPad 3 added that retina display (as well as doubling that speed, memory, camera quality, and GPU cores). Reviews at the launch if the iPad 2 called it "evolutionary", the ipad 3 was called "revolutionary".

Apple's big improvements are generally in the third-gen.
Reviews at launch did. Actually, it was more like "resolutionary".

I know, I got myself into the hype of the iPad 3. Replaced my OG with it.

In hindsight though, the iPad 3 was a step back or at least a sideways one. People were (rightfully so?) crying for a retina display but it was too early for one.
The result was an iPad that took longer to charge, was heavier, the performance was more sluggish, and it was an all-around less pleasant device to own, even if it made up for that a bit with the eye-candy from the screen. And that's a big difference from the iPad 1 to 2 evolution which didn't have any compromise. Everything was the same or better, much better even.

I replaced my iPad 3 with an OG mini (which is a miniaturised iPad 2 with an updated camera) and never looked back.

btkadams

Some people on Macrumors with 4-6 weeks shipping estimates have been charged and have their orders say preparing for shipment now... There may be hope for us!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And here I am with SS Black Sport Band and nothing. I know they go out Next Day Saver but man...NOW I am starting to get nervous.

So far, charges to orders have been occurring daily since Monday night between around 4pm - 6pm in peoples respective countries. For those who haven't seen any changes yet, keep your eyes peeled around those times today or tomorrow.

Some people on Macrumors with 4-6 weeks shipping estimates have been charged and have their orders say preparing for shipment now... There may be hope for us!

At this rate my June order will ship at the end of next week.

I took a look at the thread and I'm not sure if everyone is being genuine though. I will wait for some GAF confirmation.

SuperPac

And here I am with SS Black Sport Band and nothing. I know they go out Next Day Saver but man...NOW I am starting to get nervous.

Same model and situation here. Though, the other watch on my order hasn't even shipped despite being "preparing for shipment" and UPS has a tracking number for it. So, I'm continuing to hold out hope. Wouldn't make any sense of NONE of the people who ordered the 42SSBSB got it on Friday.

SeanR1221

So far, charges to orders have been occurring daily since Monday night between around 4pm - 6pm in peoples respective countries. For those who haven't seen any changes yet, keep your eyes peeled around those times today or tomorrow.

I feel like I have no hope.

A black sports watch ordered 3 hours after pre orders went up :/

btkadams

I will be so pissed. Mine still says processing and I'm in the first shipment group D:
Well, you're still going to get it inside your shipping window, so I wouldn't feel too bad. It's important to remember that allocation of stock is probably dependent on country and different models may have been less popular options, so they'd be catching up those orders faster than others who ordered more popular models.

B-Ri

I have a launch window delivery date and my watch still says processing!

I've only been charged for the Apple Care so far.

I WANT MY WATCH D=

SuperPac

Several UK posters on Macrumors just got charged for the 42SSBSB model - previously this model was not seeing any movement in any territory. So, hope is alive for Friday!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Several UK posters on Macrumors just got charged for the 42SSBSB model - previously this model was not seeing any movement in any territory. So, hope is alive for Friday!

word.. hopefully that means you and I charge out this evening.

It's videos like this that make it obvious Apple is playing the supply/demand game. I am sure the initial demand is good but they really want to develop the perception that it's overwhelming, which I don't think it is.

for the millionth time... this doesn't happen in modern retail/manufacturing. Every conspiracy theory people come up with is always countered with plain logic.

Apple LOSES more by having an "impossible to get watch" with much fewer shipments than "an extremely popular watch with brisk sales and in stock". Beyond that a good portion of apple launches come from people who are NOT hardcore lyal fans.. but who still get caught up in the hyper a little bit.. and those people are almost uniformly left out in the cold here with what... dollars that won't go on apple's books until June/July now?

Not to mention one of the smallest product launches apple has done in recent years.

Way too many examples of "demand outpacing apple's ability to manufacture" more so than artificial constraints.

I honestly think the most likely situation is that they started manufacturing very shortly before launch. Clearly they wanted to hit the April date.. Whereas I'm guessing they could have had a much more typical launch in say May..

kaskade

Yeah. It's been like that both days. First mostly charges. Tuesday added some "unofficial" shipping where people found their stuff by reference. I think we will start to see a good amount more shipping today and tomorrow.

Ambient80

Well, you're still going to get it inside your shipping window, so I wouldn't feel too bad. It's important to remember that allocation of stock is probably dependent on country and different models may have been less popular options, so they'd be catching up those orders faster than others who ordered more popular models.

Get outta here with your sound logic and mature opinions. ;)

There's no way I get anything close to 18 hours battery life on the first use of this watch. I'll be screwing around with faces, trying out apps and chucking ones that don't make sense or don't offer much. I'll be lucky to get 4 hours, lol.

I want to tweak everything to perfection.

There's no way I get anything close to 18 hours battery life on the first use of this watch. I'll be screwing around with faces, trying out apps and chucking ones that don't make sense or don't offer much. I'll be lucky to get 4 hours, lol.

Same here. It's much like when I get a new phone. I take a few days to play around with everything so I don't normally get a full day out of it, and then when I settle into a normal use pattern my battery life ends up in a good spot.

JayDub

Man I didn't even think about that. It's completely true.

EDIT: Oh god, prepare for the "Battery-Gate" BS. And all the sites are going to pick up on it because shitting on Apple = money. And all the "sheep" are going to fall for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man I didn't even think about that. It's completely true.

EDIT: Oh god, prepare for the "Battery-Gate" BS. And all the sites are going to pick up on it because shitting on Apple = money. And all the "sheep" are going to fall for it.

what? If shitting on apple gets you clicks, then so does fawning over them. You take the rough with the smooth.

Top Bottom