• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Yeah, ApplePay didn't really speed up the process much, in fact I tried to use it, saw that the wrong billing address was showing up for some reason, and instead used my already-entered debit card by entering my normal Apple password. Got the order made by 12:02am using the iPhone app, for the first Space Black SS shipment in May.

kaskade

So I got an email about my shipping address being wrong. I don't know why but it just says my city twice for the address. They said to reply with it but I have no idea if it updated.

Well I talked to apple and they said that that email I got basically goes to the carrier for updating so it should be ok. At most they said it would only be a delay of a couple days but there might not be any since I caught it early enough. An odd issue.

ayeorkean

I used the Apple Store app. Mine is preparing to ship. Had to use my password as the fingerprint function was removed with the latest update. Unless you mean something else.

Have you tried disabling all Touch ID functions, restarting then re-enabling Touch ID functions. That fixed it for me.

TxdoHawk

Do we know if stores will actually have stock on Friday?

It was announced that there's going to be no walk-in purchases at launch. If you show up in-store looking to buy an Apple Watch, they will basically direct you to make an online reservation.

Edit: What the guy above me said.

No stock. Online only.
Read it was online only until June I believe. No stores will have it in stock the first few months, just try-on sessions.
It was announced that there's going to be no walk-in purchases at launch. If you show up in-store looking to buy an Apple Watch, they will basically direct you to make an online reservation.

Edit: What the guy above me said.

Boo. Thanks though.

Owari

Any reports of someone getting a charge for the SS with link bracelet? Seems like Apple's hanging us ballers out to dry.

"You spent more money. Now wait."

Ambient80

A few folks on MacRumors forums saying their order changed from "Preparing to Ship" back to "Processing". Might wanna check your stuff, folks.

Namikaze

Ordered at 3:03AM and my order is still at the processing stage. Hopefully I'm still in the launch shipment, but if I'm not, that's okay too.

ACTUALLY I WILL SCREAM AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS AND EXPLODE

SuperPac

Well, there's some comfort that everyone with a 42mm stainless steel black sport band everywhere else on the internet ALSO hasn't changed to preparing for shipment. So I'm holding onto hope that some models are already in the distribution chain or shipping from another location. Fingers crossed things are sorted today or tomorrow so the wife and I get our watches the same day.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is why the Apple Watch Edition exists. I wonder if they are gifted to celebrities, or if they are given the opportunity to purchase them early. I'm leaning towards the former.

absolutely the former. Each Watch Edition they give out is less than the cost of a 30 second spot on prime time TV, and probably way more exposure. Heck I'd be surprised if those Watch Editions aren't written off in the books as marketing expenses.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Still no movement on my UK orders of 38mm and 42mm steel with white sport band.

Anyone in UK seeing 'preparing for shipment'?

TxdoHawk

I just want my pleb watch, Apple. Is that so much to ask?

All the celeb sightings turned out to be pretty genius marketing, though. Part of me wonders if a $10k+ gold Apple Watch exists mainly because Apple knew excess-loving celebs wouldn't turn them down.

Somnid

I just want my pleb watch, Apple. Is that so much to ask?

All the celeb sightings turned out to be pretty genius marketing, though. Part of me wonders if a $10k+ gold Apple Watch exists mainly because Apple knew excess-loving celebs wouldn't turn them down.

This was absolutely the idea.

kaskade

I just hope I get a tracking number soon so I can make sure this address thing is all worked out. I'm guess we will start seeing them pop up either later today or tomorrow.

TxdoHawk

My space grey sport still says Processing.

Not worried about it; if I get it Friday I'll be happy but I can wait.

So does mine, and I got in way early on the Apple Store app. Based on anecdotes from previous launches, it sounds like this is normal and orders will be processed in batches as we near launch. I'm not too worried.

ckohler

MacRumors has been putting together a spreadsheet to help see where each model is in the shipment process along with order confirmation times. It's not perfect since it relies heavily on the trust of the MacRumor user base but it's a nice quick visual to see.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cEdR2QGX0VaoFU/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#

Even though it is hardly scientific, that spreadsheet only makes me fear more that Apple did not expect the overwhelming demand for the 42mm Space Grey Sport model. :/

The 38mm Silver Sport model and 38mm Stainless Steel models on the other hand are shipping like gangbusters.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I was quite surprised as I thought that combo looked the most cheap and and almost Androidy, but I'm certainly in the minority!

TxdoHawk

Even though it is hardly scientific, that spreadsheet only makes me fear more that Apple did not expect the overwhelming demand for the 42mm Space Grey Sport model. :/

The 38mm Silver Sport model and 38mm Stainless Steel models on the other hand are shipping like gangbusters.

I would be careful extrapolating too much from this info. It could very well be that the orders filled so far are merely what showed up in the first "batch" of cargo at the distribution centers ready to go.

Microsoft released an update to PowerPoint for iOS that lets you use the watch as a remote. I find this amusing for some reason.

Even though hardly anyone will use it, it's a genuinely good use case for a smartwatch (unlike 99% of the drek these updating apps will push out).

Even though hardly anyone will use it, it's a genuinely good use case for a smartwatch (unlike 99% of the drek these updating apps will push out).

It's a neat idea, but I don't think it'll replace a physical remote for me. I don't want to have to look at my watch and use both hands to control the device between every slide. But in general I agree that it's better than a lot of crap that's being pushed out now, I'm more likely to use this than order a burrito from my wrist.

Yet they don't support their own damn band with similar functionality. Amazing.

This seems to be pretty common with both Microsoft and Google. In a lot of ways, Google does a better job of updating their apps on iOS than they do on Android. A lot of times it seems like graphical updates and features hit their iOS apps before they launch on Android.

Juice

My space gray switched to shipping at 5:01 eastern yesterday but my silver one still hasn't moved. Who the hell knows.

TxdoHawk

It's a neat idea, but I don't think it'll replace a physical remote for me. I don't want to have to look at my watch and use both hands to control the device between every slide.

I guess it really depends on how they implement it. I'd imagine if they were smart it would default to one big button you could tap for "next slide", and then force touch for more options (like going back). This way, if you were up front presenting, you could tap your wrist without looking, and only have to fiddle if you accidentally skipped a slide.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess it really depends on how they implement it. I'd imagine if they were smart it would default to one big button you could tap for "next slide", and then force touch for more options (like going back). This way, if you were up front presenting, you could tap your wrist without looking, and only have to fiddle if you accidentally skipped a slide.

But the screen would time out after about ten seconds, so you'd need to do that tilt wrist motion, or tap your watch to wake it up. Does the last active app stay on the screen or does it switch back to the watch?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
But the screen would time out after about ten seconds, so you'd need to do that tilt wrist motion, or tap your watch to wake it up. Does the last active app stay on the screen or does it switch back to the watch?

would guess the screen sleep isn't mandatory.. thinking a dev could keep the screen awake if needed.

Ambient80

This seems to be pretty common with both Microsoft and Google. In a lot of ways, Google does a better job of updating their apps on iOS than they do on Android. A lot of times it seems like graphical updates and features hit their iOS apps before they launch on Android.

I guess with MS it makes more sense because there are multitudes more iOS devices in the wild than there are WP devices, or devices which run mobile versions of their apps. That may change now that all windows apps will be the same thing across all sorts of devices.

With Google, I dunno maybe it's easier to roll back changes on iOS if people don't like them or they're broken? I'm honestly not sure. There are far more Android devices out there so it couldn't be that.

I would love for my tracking info to hit the system. I assume they are shipping everything via FedEx and I'd like to be able to have FedEx hold it at a location in between my house and work as I'll be gone when it will get delivered and I don't really want to pre-sign for it.

Frostburn

Finally got to an Apple Store to try on the 38mm and 42mm watches with both small and large sportbands. I am a smallish guy (short at 5'7" with an athletic build so my wrists aren't dainty but they are not large by any means. The 42mm watch looked MUCH better, the 38 is just way too small for anyone but the most small of wrists IMO. I need the small sportband though, the large had so much extra it was pushing the watch band away from my arm as the excess tucks under the main loop.

There isn't a way to order the 42mm Silver Sport with a black sportband is there?

Finally got to an Apple Store to try on the 38mm and 42mm watches with both small and large sportbands. I am a smallish guy (short at 5'7" with an athletic build so my wrists aren't dainty but they are not large by any means. The 42mm watch looked MUCH better, the 38 is just way too small for anyone but the most small of wrists IMO. I need the small sportband though, the large had so much extra it was pushing the watch band away from my arm as the excess tucks under the main loop.

There isn't a way to order the 42mm Silver Sport with a black sportband is there?

Not yet. No way to order a Silver Sport with black band, and no way to order the Space Gray Sport with anything other than a black band.

Top Bottom