• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Renasu

Neo Member
Just got the stainless steel Apple Watch delivered. The packaging looks much better than what the sport comes with!

Renasu

Neo Member
Decided to go with the 38mm Stainless Steel watch, as it had the earliest shipping estimate.
However, I ordered it 5 days after preorders started so I was surprised to get it on launch day.
I live in Japan, so that might be part of the reason.

vBsdMFN.jpg

HAmTXpj.jpg

GMmwGs4.jpg

CNBaoYi.jpg

finalflame

Decided to go with the 38mm Stainless Steel watch, as it had the earliest shipping estimate.
However, I ordered it 5 days after preorders started so I was surprised to get it on launch day.

Very nice, that looks slick. Congrats!

Looks really nice, congrats! I dig the black dot on the wheel.

Finally got a shipping confirmation from UPS for my Sport; arrives tomorrow by EOD.

I have an incredibly nerdy question to ask those who have gotten their watch that I can't quite see clearly enough in photos to answer on my own... just, how many ridges are on the Digital Crown?

jts

...hate me...

Congrats man, that's a straight up gorgie. If I didn't have any budget restraints I would for the regular stainless steel like you. For me, it's the best looking one. I don't really enjoy the darker watch cases.

However for mine I'd probably just get a bunch of sport bands.

jts

...hate me...
Also, the packaging for all models look great.

I have no idea why you guys insist on that weird faux early pickiness sometimes.

1tMk8Tf.png

A case for a dildo? What are you, 12?

Surely a big part of the reason is that the know exactly what type of strap every Sport comes with, whereas the other models can come with all the other options and therefore need a more generic box.

Hasney

You could hang onto the box and increase it's resale value by about 30%

I'm an anti-hoarder. Even for that, I couldn't keep pointless cardboard lying around for a year or more.

That said, even if I did hold onto it, it would be less space in a drawer somewhere!

Does the Edition box look the same as the Stainless? Anyone? x)

Not sure. I'll take mine out of the packaging once I've gone for another quick swim in my money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm an anti-hoarder. Even for that, I couldn't keep pointless cardboard lying around for a year or more.

That said, even if I did hold onto it, it would be less space in a drawer somewhere!

We don't like clutter either - but most electronic shit we buy, I keep the boxes carefully in the loft because inevitably when I buy the next version of that electronic shit I'll want to sell the other one, and as mentioned you simply get more if you have the box.

Often I won't even unpack the micro USB cables or chargers or headphones. They stay there so its easier to sell later. I have tons spare anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
About the same shape, better finish/materials and it doubles as a charger. So it's basically an included travelling case.

7vzyF8H.jpg

Surely only a matter of seconds before someone posts a conversion making the SS box into a charging station like the edition?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is that just floating on that person's wrist? the straps don't look to be touching the arm at all.

That does make you wonder if they should have put the crown in the middle for the benefit of lefties.

cakefoo

That does make you wonder if they should have put the crown in the middle for the benefit of lefties.
I doubt the contacts button would fit in the smaller space- they'd have to shrink it, making it harder to press, or put it on the opposite side of the watch, making it harder to press either button without accidentally pressing the other one as well.

Plus I think the crown being lower actually feels nice. Instincitively, my middle, ring and pinky knuckles rest against the side of my hand.

I think it only looks weird because we're so used to seeing it the other way.

jts

...hate me...
is that just floating on that person's wrist? the straps don't look to be touching the arm at all.

Yeah, I see pictures of people using the Apple Watch with a loose fit all the time. Not sure what's going on with that.

I doubt the contacts button would fit in the smaller space- they'd have to shrink it, making it harder to press, or put it on the opposite side of the watch, making it harder to press either button without accidentally pressing the other one as well.

Plus I think the crown being lower actually feels nice. Instincitively, my middle, ring and pinky knuckles rest against the side of my hand.

I think it only looks weird because we're so used to seeing it the other way.
That's my take on it as well. It doesn't help that all of Apple's marketing materials just show the crown on the right.

One cool thing though, is that you can set the Watch for any wrist and still have the crown on any side independently.

Acac07Y.png

iFirez

Mine arrived at 8:50am with UPS (UK gaffer here) and I've been toying around with it for the last few hours. I'm surprised at how fast and stable the OS is. Tested phone calls, texts, Twitter, sending drawings and the activity app; all super awesome.

jts

...hate me...
Mine arrived at 8:50am with UPS (UK gaffer here) and I've been toying around with it for the last few hours. I'm surprised at how fast and stable the OS is. Tested phone calls, texts, Twitter, sending drawings and the activity app; all super awesome.
Congrats. Looks great. Super jelly. I haven't been so hyped for a device in a long time. So I think I'll just congratulate all early owners and bail out. Maybe I'll keep reading the User Guide.

*runs away crying*

noomi

:(

Ordered 3:02AM shipping may 13th - 27. Still processing :( :(

For those that ordered the 38, are you happy with the size?

SuperPac

Looks like mine isn't hitting until Monday UPS barely budged all night.

Well, you ordered 2 days ago - I don't think I'm feeling too sad for you right now. ;)

So one of my watches delivers today (the wife's), after pre-ordering at 3:02 am EDT on the 10th. The other is "processing" - no movement and no tracking number, but my CC was charged and the charge is still there. So, I have no idea what's going on with that. I guess it's possible I open the box and two watches are in there but that's pretty unlikely. SIGH.

Still stuck at processing...

I don't think I'm going to be disrupting my sleep cycle again to preorder an Apple product. My usual strategy of "walk into the store a few months after launch" is the preferred way to go. I can't believe they dropped the ball on this one.

Does it have a delivery date attached to it yet? I got tracking for mine yesterday, but it didn't start moving through the UPS system until after 1 am this morning. Still says it will be here by today though.

No delivery date yet. The one Apple gave me was the 28th.

Mine first showed signs of life on UPS at 9:17pm EST but nothing beyond the label being made.

Well, you ordered 2 days ago - I don't think I'm feeling too sad for you right now. ;)

So one of my watches delivers today (the wife's), after pre-ordering at 3:02 am EDT on the 10th. The other is "processing" - no movement and no tracking number, but my CC was charged and the charge is still there. So, I have no idea what's going on with that. I guess it's possible I open the box and two watches are in there but that's pretty unlikely. SIGH.

Yeah, I am still lucky to get such a quick turn around.

Oh I meant to ask, I take it your watch was showing June right up until it started dispatching?

Yes.

Top Bottom