• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

bms2993

Banned
I think it's silly Apple won't let me swap bands on my sport watch to a black band because it's not part of their collection. Silly Apple.

Have the SS 38mm with black sports band.

I've been tempted to get a new band, the Milanese loop, but I can wait as the sports band is comfortable and looks great.

The real test has already been passed as I had dinner Sunday with my parents and sister and none of them noticed the watch. That's freaking great.

jts

...hate me...
No chance that the Watch can display the time constantly while charging right?

It would be cool, but at the same time probably taxing for the display.

grkazan12

I don't have one yet, but I would totally use this for running. My dream for this would be a Spotify app that would allow you to cache at least 2GB of songs from a playlist for offline. The thought of just carrying the watch for running while having wireless headphones on would be excellent.

Mitch

Banned
I don't have one yet, but I would totally use this for running. My dream for this would be a Spotify app that would allow you to cache at least 2GB of songs from a playlist for offline. The thought of just carrying the watch for running while having wireless headphones on would be excellent.
Yes. I'd love that.

This has to happen. What you can do right now is play anything on your iPhone on spotify and control things with the apple watch. Seems it's only pause, play, and skip though.

Nice dream, it should happen.

Ambient80

This has to happen. What you can do right now is play anything on your iPhone on spotify and control things with the apple watch. Seems it's only pause, play, and skip though.

Nice dream, it should happen.

Really all that needs to happen is a Spotify update, right? Or are they missing a couple API for saving stuff to the watch?

That is the dream scenario, working out without the phone would be a god send

Really all that needs to happen is a Spotify update, right? Or are they missing a couple API for saving stuff to the watch?

It needs an update on the spotify app. What you can do right now is simply control music like you can on your iphone lockscreen. I'm guessing any app that allows you to control things from the lockscreen works in glances as well.

Spotify doesn't have a watch app yet.

SuperPac

No app can put music files directly on the watch. Only Apple's Music app can do that at the moment. So you'd need more flexibility in WatchKit and a Spotify update. Might happen later this year but who knows - it'll be awhile. *shrug*

Ambient80

No app can put music files directly on the watch. Only Apple's Music app can do that at the moment. So you'd need more flexibility in WatchKit and a Spotify update. Might happen later this year but who knows - it'll be awhile. *shrug*

Eh, maybe not too long. The app update should be easy enough but that's on Spotify. If they release WatchKit fully around WWDC we could see it within a few months. Not ideal for sure, though, I agree.

PSGames

I was just charged last night for one of my watches. Typically how long did it take to receive the watch from this point?

hopefully at WWDC Apple greatly expands what devs can do with the watch kit

That would really be great, but from what I understand preparing to ship cant last a day or two, and then the actual shipment takes another couples of days?

Either way, I'm just happy to know it's coming :D

YMMV I suppose but my wife and I both received our watches in < 24 hours after "preparing to ship".

Are there any decent charging stands or, ideally, something that looks more like an actual watch case? I ordered the Nomad stand but I'm starting to think I don't want an all metal stand out of fear of scratching the steel.

riotous

Banned
All of my MP3's are purchased from Amazon or from mix tapes / cd rips I make.

Streaming services are cheaper but always limit what you can do with your music.

My music within a few minutes of obtaining is on the cloud in Amazon, copied into iTunes, wirelessly synced to the iPods I have in my 2 cars in my garage, wirelessly synced to my phone, and added to my Sonos library for streaming throughout my house.

Slightly longer process for MP3s I don't buy from Amazon; but I just stick them in an import folder and run the Amazon music importer. Occasionally need to manually add cover art in iTunes for mix tape downloads.

Going to set up my Apple Watch playlist and have them available on my watch too :)

Servbot24

Banned
Streaming is for chumps (that means YOU!) . Still getting CDs in the mail on the regular. FLAC on my computer, auto-converts to 256 for the phone, and in time the watch.

I don't have bluetooth headphones and I may not care to get them. I bike so I have something to carry the phone with, so the only thing I'll do is control music...with the watch on the phone.

Epix

Are there any decent charging stands or, ideally, something that looks more like an actual watch case? I ordered the Nomad stand but I'm starting to think I don't want an all metal stand out of fear of scratching the steel.

In addition to the Nomad stand I ordered this travel charging case as well..

http://www.studioproper.com.au/pages/apple-watch-charging-dock

WK_All.231_2048x2048.png

Ultima_5

i have one of the newer ipod nanos. i got a case with a clip on it. it has a pedometer and blutooth and 16gb of storage. would be way cheaper and more useful (imo) than the watch

Ninja Dom

My girlfriend's son (17 years old) is gonna give me a thorough demonstration of his Stainless Steel Apple Watch this weekend. Although I've been following this thread since page 1, I've still not actually seen one in real life yet. If I'm impressed then I'll order a Sport in black for £339.

Epix

LyleLanley said:
Are you not worried about the Nomad stand scratching your watch? That dock you linked to also looks really nice, I wish someone made something similar to that that would also work with the link bracelets.

No I'm not worried. The induction charging pad on the back of the watch concaves away from the watch case a little which should prevent the case from ever touching the stand.

However - Scratches are inevitable with a polished SS product of any kind. I'll just have to give the watch a quick polish every few months regardless of what I charge it on.

riotous

Banned
Your charge cable goes into the Nomad stand and the charging interface on the watch itself is raised. I don't think the stand is going to be touching the watch.

If it does it would touch the bottom part of the watch; personally don't care if it scratches a bit where it will never be visible.

But I don't sell my old stuff.

riotous

Banned
Looking at the pictures on Nomad's site you can see the charging cable sticks up a bit from the stand. Seems unlikely you'll ever hit metal on metal. Should be a good 5mm above the stand.

Looking at the pictures on Nomad's site you can see the charging cable sticks up a bit from the stand. Seems unlikely you'll ever hit metal on metal. Should be a good 5mm above the stand.

Yeah your probably right. It doesn't look like any of the other stands are shipping much sooner than the Nomad anyways so I'll just stick with it for now. I still do want a more traditional watch case though.

Top Bottom