• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Why would you need a 'travel case'? Wouldn't you get more benefit by wearing it whilst travelling?

If I'm on a long, 12+ hours, flight in which my phone has to be on airplane mode anyways I think I'd rather have my watch securely charging so that it's ready to go when I'm about to land.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's what I'm thinking, and if I do have a long 12+hr flight, I would just put it on power reserve or airplane mode and the battery should last me two days

Plus for a travel case, wouldn't it have made sense for it to have a battery in the base (plenty of space) so it can actually charge while in the case? I assume it doesn't even come with the charger, so it's just a $60 box?

For the steel watches, I'm sure someone will do an instructables thing to convert that case into a charger like the edition model has.

My watch arrived! Hooray! 42mmSG black sports like everybody else in the world.

Question: why have my message notifications on my phone stopped? So, the watch does a little ding and vibrates, but the phone no longer dings. Is that a thing? Can I stop that? I cannot find out how to make my phone ding as well.

Ding.

SuperPac

This is going to cause a lot of angst in Brooklyn, Portland, and Silver Lake.

I'm sick today so I'm keeping the Watch off, as I don't want to be harassed by the "Time to stand, meatbag!" notifications every hour.

You probably already know this, but - you can turn that off. Or you can put it in do not disturb mode.

My watch arrived! Hooray! 42mmSG black sports like everybody else in the world.

Question: why have my message notifications on my phone stopped? So, the watch does a little ding and vibrates, but the phone no longer dings. Is that a thing? Can I stop that? I cannot find out how to make my phone ding as well.

Ding.

Pretty sure you can't have notifications ding both. Alarms and phone calls ding both - I'm not sure anything else does. If you want something to ding the phone and not the watch you can do that.

Epix

I'm actually getting really good battery life so far. I think I wear the watch from 6-30am - 9pm with 60-65% remaining at the end of the night.

noomi

I can't help but check every hour if preparing to ship has changed to shipping :p

Hoping for delivery by Friday since I won't be around this weekend.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Still no sign of the Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet Watch

Fuck

That's the one I will buy in gen 3 or 4 if I decide that Apple's flavor of smartwatch is my kind of thing.

It's really sexy, man. I'd say its worth whatever wait you have to suffer. :p

SuperPac

My watch only made it to 6pm today. Why? Because the music Glance had been playing all day.
Except it was playing nothing.

Yeah I wish the now playing widget and control center were smarter about keeping what you were playing in memory - even if the app and track have been shuffled out. Since I primarily listen to podcasts using Overcast, my now playing is sometimes blank if Overcast has been shuffled out of active memory. :\

jts

...hate me...
What's wrong with the normal charging cable?

You are absolutely right, people are overthinking this.

Although, ideally I'd get a 1m cable for travelling. Don't want to roll and carry that 2m monster that comes by default. And with the charging cable being super proprietary (the super denotes it will be really hard to come across knock-offs) and pretty rare at least for a while, it doesn't hurt having some redundancy either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A cable is fine for travelling, but I would like a charging stand for at home. It would make charging a much simpler and neater setup - with a loose connector you have to fiddle a bit more, especially if you have a closed loop bracelet.

1 of 2 of my Apple Watches is now preparing for shipment.

The one shipping was ordered at 2:40am CT (aka 40 minutes after preorders went up)

It is a 42mm Stainless Steel with Classic Leather Buckle

The other one not shipping yet was ordered at 2:07am CT (aka 7 minutes after preorders went up)

It is a 42mm Space Grey Sport with Black Sport Band

In addition to the Nomad stand I ordered this travel charging case as well..

http://www.studioproper.com.au/pages/apple-watch-charging-dock

WK_All.231_2048x2048.png

If the watch actually floated above it like that, I'd buy one in an instant!

xsarien

daedsiluap
The other one not shipping yet was ordered at 2:07am CT (aka 7 minutes after preorders went up)

It is a 42mm Space Grey Sport with Black Sport Band

I don't care how much Apple PR spins this, I think they were truly taken aback at how many people opted for Sport over SS.

I don't care how much Apple PR spins this, I think they were truly taken aback at how many people opted for Sport over SS.

It's like Apple really thought people were easily going to spend $500+ when the internals were the same in all models. I'd love to get the stainless steel model but it's too much for me to drop $600+tax on a first generation device.

rezuth

I'm fairly certain Apple had no idea how many was going to order what just like everyone else. This is also why they didn't disclose any numbers for the Watch sales.

StillEdge

Why can't I put my music on shuffle? I have 18 hours on my watch and really don't want to listen to it alphabetically. Is there an app to fix that? I read about Elly but that's not really what I am looking for.

Why can't I put my music on shuffle? I have 18 hours on my watch and really don't want to listen to it alphabetically. Is there an app to fix that? I read about Elly but that's not really what I am looking for.

You can. Go to the "now playing" screen and force touch on the play button. It will open a menu with shuffle, repeat, source selection, and AirPlay options.

Edit: you can also force press on a song in the song view to shuffle all songs.

SeanR1221

So I canceled my SG sport.

Ordered stainless with black band. I figured 200.00 extra wasn't much for the version I really want. Sapphire here I come!

StillEdge

Can't you force press for shuffle?

Everyone keeps missing those force press options.

You can. Go to the "now playing" screen and force touch on the play button. It will open a menu with shuffle, repeat, source selection, and AirPlay options.

Edit: you can also force press on a song in the song view to shuffle all songs.

My heroes! I sat there in disbelief there was no shuffle option. Thank you. I even scrounged through google and kept getting some iPod Nano watch results.

No, they didn't expect everyone to want Space Grey. I'd bet they manufactured far more Sport watches than others, but everyone ordered Space Grey when Apple probably manufactured the various colors equally.

No, they didn't expect everyone to want Space Grey. I'd bet they manufactured far more Sport watches than others, but everyone ordered Space Grey when Apple probably manufactured the various colors equally.

No, I think it's that everyone wanted a black band. I couldn't believe there wasn't a black band option for the silver color. So people who wanted a traditional black band had to get the space grey or cough up extra money for another band. I know there is some replacement band option but I bet majority of people don't know about it

Sean

Banned
Guess we know the reason for the shortages now. From WSJ:

Apple Watch: Faulty Taptic Engine Slows Roll Out

A key component of the Apple Watch made by one of two suppliers was found to be defective, prompting Apple Inc. to limit the availability of the highly anticipated new product, according to people familiar with the matter.

The part involved is the so-called taptic engine, designed by Apple to produce the sensation of being tapped on the wrist. After mass production began in February, reliability testing revealed that some taptic engines supplied by AAC Technologies Holdings Inc., of Shenzhen, China, started to break down over time, the people familiar with the matter said. One of those people said Apple scrapped some completed watches as a result.

Taptic engines produced by a second supplier, Japan’s Nidec Corp., didn’t experience the same problem, the people said. Apple has moved nearly all of its production of the component to Nidec, these people said, but it may take time for Nidec to increase its production.

Owari

That's the one I will buy in gen 3 or 4 if I decide that Apple's flavor of smartwatch is my kind of thing.

It's really sexy, man. I'd say its worth whatever wait you have to suffer. :p

Yeah. It'll be worth it. But the wait is killing me, heh

That's crazy then, I ordered the same model on Friday also and still have a June date
Yeah, weird right? I mean, as I said I'll survive the wait but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't irksome. It's like if you were waiting in line to buy movie tickets and you're third in line, and someone shows up at the end of the line 50 people behind you and they get their tickets first. You'll get your tickets too but still, what the hell.

Other than alerts and paying for things, I'm not sure what this watch is for.

I'd rather use the Uber app on my phone as the interaction in the app is far better and waiting for a cab isn't always fun.

The apps need a great deal of work. None of the 'top 10 apps you need with your apple watch' work well or appeal to me.

It will get better as more developers actually use the watch. Maybe a month from now, someone will create a genius app.

Ferny

Apps on the iphone weren't exactly killer at first either. Give it time and people will create apps specific to the Watch instead of just making their current app work in some way with it.

noomi

When did you order it? Sorry if you've already posted this before.

Ordered @ 3:04AM EST.

Originally my ship date was May 13th - 27, this morning finally changed from processing to preparing to ship and a few hours ago it shipped. Hoped this helps.

Top Bottom