• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

noomi

Out for delivery, I feel like a kid on Christmas day.

I've been re-watching all the apple help videos to get the hype going again.

I purchased the SS W/Classic buckle and i really hate how fast the screen goes dark.

It is really stupid and this may be a reason i sell it or it goes back.

It kind of needs a demo mode. What I would demo, I have no idea as the apps are pretty terrible. If you have an app in glances, you would expect greater functionality when you launch the full app, but nope. I'm looking at you ESPN app. If I have my favorite teams set, I should be able to set alerts from the apple watch app when their games start. Where is my radar with the Yahoo Weather app?

I'm going to wait things out. This is first gen stuff and developers are just getting the watch.

Friends noticed the watch last night and all I could give was a 'meh' to it. It's expensive and it doesn't do much that other products do, other than be an Apple product. These folks are a bit monied and they have no interest in it. But they are also slow to tech at times.

Maybe I'm stupid, but if you get a text and want to respond to one, you have to rely on Siri.

Siri misspells words all the time. It's so bad that I never rely on Siri or when I do rely on Siri, it's like a joke. The watch doesn't allow you to edit a Siri dictation, AFAIK. So you would never use it to make a text.

Frankly, speaking at your watch or your phone seems kind of obnoxious unless you are driving.

Fliesen

Maybe I'm stupid, but if you get a text and want to respond to one, you have to rely on Siri.

Siri misspells words all the time. It's so bad that I never rely on Siri or when I do rely on Siri, it's like a joke. The watch doesn't allow you to edit a Siri dictation, AFAIK. So you would never use it to make a text.

Frankly, speaking at your watch or your phone seems kind of obnoxious unless you are driving.

if your reply is much more complicated / longer than "i'll be there in 10 minutes" or "i'll pick something up from the store", i guess you might as well use your phone,

OR

if you're replying to an iMessage you could just answer via audio recording, no need to have Siri transcribe your words to written text.

if your reply is much more complicated / longer than "i'll be there in 10 minutes" or "i'll pick something up from the store", i guess you might as well use your phone,

OR

if you're replying to an iMessage you could just answer via audio recording, no need to have Siri transcribe your words to written text.

If just one word is a ridiculous mistranslation, there's no method for correcting it. I don't believe in sending audio recordings.

Hasney

If just one word is a ridiculous mistranslation, there's no method for correcting it. I don't believe in sending audio recordings.

Then pull out your phone like I will be doing.

To me, smartwatches are an awesome notification/music control device. I certainly won't be using it to send messages to anyone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

To me, smartwatches are an awesome notification/music control device. I certainly won't be using it to send messages to anyone.

the entire button dedicated to bringing up contacts seems disproportionate to the benefit it brings.

Most of the point of the watch is not pulling out the phone.

This defensiveness smacks of 'you're doing it wrong'.

No I'm not.

Hasney

No I'm not.

Then what's the solution? I'm trying to think of an elegant way to send a text on a tiny screen but I just don't have it. If I could picture a better way, then I'd be waiting until someone does it.

I'm telling you what I'll personally be doing since I don't like talking to tech full stop.

I'm not sure if reading the more negative comments here about the watch is tempering my wait for my watch to arrive or annoying me that someone else already has it and doesn't even really like it...

Fliesen

No I'm not.

well, your argument against using a voice message is "i don't like voice messages" - so that's not particularly strong either ;)

if you want to answer to a text you can:

use one of the quick-reply messages
OR
use Siri (who usually does a great job at transcribing your spoken word)
OR
send a voice message

if all of the above are no options, you might just have to pull out your phone.

what would your desired additional solution be. adding a keyboard? I don't see adding a functionality of correcting individual words by re-dictating them as a pleasant way of handling this.

Then what's the solution? I'm trying to think of an elegant way to send a text on a tiny screen but I just don't have it. If I could picture a better way, then I'd be waiting until someone does it.

I'm telling you what I'll personally be doing since I don't like talking to tech full stop.

At least give me the ability to edit a word. Maybe that's a force press. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to reply to a text with the watch where Siri screws things up.

I've given up. I have to pull the phone out. Each time I have to pull the phone out, it diminishes the worth of the 'smart' watch.

well, your argument against using a voice message is "i don't like voice messages" - so that's not particularly strong either ;)

if you want to answer to a text you can:

use one of the quick-reply messages
OR
use Siri (who usually does a great job at transcribing your spoken word)
OR
send a voice message

if all of the above are no options, you might just have to pull out your phone.

what would your desired additional solution be. adding a keyboard? I don't see adding a functionality of correcting individual words by re-dictating them as a pleasant way of handling this.

I have to be 'doing it wrong'

lol.

Fliesen

At least give me the ability to edit a word. Maybe that's a force press. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to reply to a text with the watch where Siri screws things up.

I've given up. I have to pull the phone out. Each time I have to pull the phone out, it diminishes the worth of the 'smart' watch.

each time you don't have to pull out your phone for something, the 'smart' features have been proven useful.

It's up to you to measure the times it helped vs. the times it failed you and whether or not it's a net benefit, in the end.

i don't think tapping words on the watch screen, re-transcribing them would be any less frustrating.

I have to be 'doing it wrong'

lol.

that's 100% not what i am saying. I said there are 3 ways of replying, if none of them work for you, you'll have to use your phone. unless you can come up with a 4th way. you want to tap a word and edit it? how? with a keyboard? or with Siri? do you think she'd understand you better the 2nd time around? wouldn't it be easier to just say the entire sentence again than fiddling around, trying to mark the one word she got wrong?

SuperPac

For me, it hasn't screwed anything up yet. I even used the name of a store (Publix) and it got it right. What is it misspelling for you? If it's doing it repeatedly maybe the entry got messed up in autocorrect? It may be as easy as resetting the dictionary. http://www.imore.com/how-to-reset-iphone-keyboard-dictionary

Fliesen

For me, it hasn't screwed anything up yet. I even used the name of a store (Publix) and it got it right. What is it misspelling for you? If it's doing it repeatedly maybe the entry got messed up in autocorrect? It may be as easy as resetting the dictionary. http://www.imore.com/how-to-reset-iphone-keyboard-dictionary

Siri is far worse at names / places in non-english languages, to be fair. Though i don't think there's many people in non-english countries that have been shipped their watches yet

SuperPac

Siri is far worse at names / places in non-english languages, to be fair. Though i don't think there's many people in non-english countries that have been shipped their watches yet

That's definitely true. I'm not saying Siri is perfect. For the first few years, I thought it was terrible. But so far with the watch it hasn't let me down. *shrug*

each time you don't have to pull out your phone for something, the 'smart' features have been proven useful.

It's up to you to measure the times it helped vs. the times it failed you and whether or not it's a net benefit, in the end.

i don't think tapping words on the watch screen, re-transcribing them would be any less frustrating.

You might have made a text via Siri on your iphone. You can press on the word and correct it. You can't on the watch. That's what I want. Until then, the watch is kind of useless as Siri fails too much on dictation. I'm okay with that, but annoyed. I know it will get better.

Watch users will make complaints here and I want to see them. After a few days, you recognize what needs to happen.

Hasney

True, that could work if you don't mind dictating in the first place. Not sure if that'll require a selection of words it could have been selected by the digital crown or you have to try saying it again or not though.

I can't give you a specific example as it's been so bad, I just don't bother. And I'm used to using the phone to dictate messages. There are just certain words that will not translate for Siri. On the phone, you 'can' correct the word before sending it.

Fliesen

True, that could work if you don't mind dictating in the first place. Not sure if that'll require a selection of words it could have been selected by the digital crown or you have to try saying it again or not though.

it just sounds very finicky to me, selecting the word, letting siri know you want to re-do that word.
if it's via the digital crown, there needs to be some button that 'selects' it or tells siri to 're-listen'

what if you want to replace multiple words?

in my experience it's best to just re-do the entire sentence, going through 3 sets of input paradigms (touch, wheel, voice) seems like user interaction overkill.

Siri isn't foolproof, and i don't know if selectively correcting words on the watch would be an option that would be an actual benefit.

I can't give you a specific example as it's been so bad, I just don't bother. And I'm used to using the phone to dictate messages. There are just certain words that will not translate for Siri. On the phone, you 'can' correct the word before sending it.

It works on your phone because you can just fall back to "okay, you didn't get that word, Sirir. Here, let me spell it out" - that option isn't there on the watch, because there's no keyboard.
edit: you haven't made that perfectly clear yet, i think. You said you wanted to "correct" words. Are you asking for a keyboard? or would you want to be able to repeat it to siri, giving her another shot at correctly transcribing it. Since you said there's words she just won't get, i feel like you want a keyboard on a 38mm watch. :/

Fliesen, I just want to correct a word or phrase that Siri didn't get. I can do that on iPhone. I can't on the watch.

Telling me to use the phone instead doesn't help a thing. It's a flaw.

Fliesen, I just want to correct a word or phrase that Siri didn't get. I can do that on iPhone. I can't on the watch.

How would you fix the problem, design wise?

If you want Siri to be perfect at dictation, you're going to be waiting a few more years. It's not bad now but i have been experiencing issues with it.

It just may be that the Apple Watch isn't designed to do what you want to do on it.

SuperPac

I agree that this is a problem, but I'm not sure how they fix it outside of Siri getting better/being able to "teach" siri words it commonly gets wrong for you. It's unlikely they add a keyboard to the watch. You either get comfortable sending audio messages that Siri screws up or you use your phone to compose messages. *shrug*

Fliesen

again, "correct" is not describing the way of inputting the word. There's a wheel, a microphone and a touch screen.

you just said there's words Siri just won't get. Which makes me believe you are you for a keyboard on the phone in that case?

I am not saying you are doing it wrong, i'm just curious what option you'd be asking for. How would you like to correct indivdual words.

How would you fix the problem, design wise?

If you want Siri to be perfect at dictation, you're going to be waiting a few more years. It's not bad now but i have been experiencing issues with it.

It just may be that the Apple Watch isn't designed to do what you want to do on it.

A press over a word, with the option of replacing it.

I agree that this is a problem, but I'm not sure how they fix it outside of Siri getting better/being able to "teach" siri words it commonly gets wrong for you. It's unlikely they add a keyboard to the watch. You either get comfortable sending audio messages that Siri screws up or you use your phone to compose messages. *shrug*

The iphone suggests words. Just offer the same functionality.

A press over a word, with the option of replacing it.

With what input for choosing the word to replace the wrong word with? Would it give you a list of suggestions? Speak the single word you want to replace again to Siri? Give you a mini keyboard? What if Siri gets it wrong again or the word you want isn't in the list of suggestions? It's having such a small screen that adding a keyboard isn't really feasible that really complicates this problem.

Fliesen

The iphone suggests words. Just offer the same functionality.

there we go. finally :p

i just tested this and there's an issue with this.

When you click the sentence, Siri suggests other options for that entire sentence. When you tap the word, say "select" those 3 words you're seeing are corrections of words that are TYPED similarly. - the keyboard's autocorrect suggestions, not Siri's

If you said "Don't forget to buy a ball at wal-mart", but you meant "bowl", it won't be a suggestion because the suggestions are similarly typed words, not similar sounding words. so you'd get "hall" and stuff.
Neither will it help if she mis-spells your friend Alison, "Ali" as "Ellie". You'd have to correct this via keyboard, which isn't an option on such a small screen, imho. If you know people with both names, not even the fact that Siri is biased towards names in your contacts will help :(

Sean

Banned
I think one way to improve this is if Handoff transferred over your un-sent dictation so that you could correct typos etc on your iPhone before hitting send.

Right now you can do handoff but it simply brings you to the text convo, you'd still have to retype the entire text.

Appleman

I just think it's annoying how many taps it takes to re-do the Siri attempt.
Have to hit cancel, then navigate back into the dictation panel... way too many taps.

Also, Siri seems to take so much longer to respond on the watch. "Hey siri, tell Stuart that I'm on my way" takes forever to show up on the screen, causing me to try and repeat it resulting in duplicate words and having to start over. Just a clear button or something to retry would go a long way

number11

Oh shit. I wasn't expecting my my watch for a while.. But my 4-6 week delivery just shipped.

38 stainless steel/black sports band (UK)

FaintDeftone

Engadget finally reviewed the watch:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/30/apple-watch-review/

In a nutshell, they say it has about the same problems as any other smartwatch, but slightly better, and it is basically a status symbol and too expensive.

Honestly, I feel like these watches need to evolve more before they're really ready for mass market. I've owned a Moto 360 since launch and while it is nice to have, I could easily do without it and the functionality needs a bit of work. Sounds like the Apple Watch is in the same boat.

riotous

Banned
For me just the text message functionality is worth the price of admission. I own a Pebble and get many of the same benefits for cheaper, but I like the look of the Apple Watch more and it has a slicker interface.

Also, Apple pay on my watch.. which I've already used a dozen times, is nice and I think, unique to this watch.

But I only paid $499 for mine.. I don't think I'd spend the cash for the black/black SS watch I wanted ($1100? ridiculous.. it's not that nice, I have nicer standard watches that cost me much less.)

When you click the sentence, Siri suggests other options for that entire sentence. When you tap the word, say "select" those 3 words you're seeing are corrections of words that are TYPED similarly. - the keyboard's autocorrect suggestions, not Siri's

If you said "Don't forget to buy a ball at wal-mart", but you meant "bowl", it won't be a suggestion because the suggestions are similarly typed words, not similar sounding words. so you'd get "hall" and stuff.
Neither will it help if she mis-spells your friend Alison, "Ali" as "Ellie". You'd have to correct this via keyboard, which isn't an option on such a small screen, imho. If you know people with both names, not even the fact that Siri is biased towards names in your contacts will help :(

Thanks. And this will come. Things that demand more resolution should be handled by the phone. Things that are lower should be handled by the watch.

Make life simple. Hell, maybe my 'VIPS' are not so fixed, so let me flag an email so a response goes straight to the watch. I like to pretend I'm busy.

Engadget finally reviewed the watch:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/30/apple-watch-review/

In a nutshell, they say it has about the same problems as any other smartwatch, but slightly better, and it is basically a status symbol and too expensive.

Honestly, I feel like these watches need to evolve more before they're really ready for mass market. I've owned a Moto 360 since launch and while it is nice to have, I could easily do without it and the functionality needs a bit of work. Sounds like the Apple Watch is in the same boat.

What the hell was that video review? Might be the most useless thing I've seen a tech website do

Future

This does need to be solved though. Basically need another iteration of dictation implementation. Ability to go back and edit, even spell words out directly would be nice not just for the watch but dictation in general. I stopped using siri dictation since I usually have to go back and edit on the phone anyway

Top Bottom