• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

I don't have one yet, but I would totally use this for running. My dream for this would be a Spotify app that would allow you to cache at least 2GB of songs from a playlist for offline. The thought of just carrying the watch for running while having wireless headphones on would be excellent.
Speaking of which, I'm looking for my first set of Bluetooth earbuds for running with this thing. Any decent priced ones people could recommend?

Apple needs a better way to load apps on the phone. A list of apps in the Watch app is the least elegant way to do this. How am I even supposed to tell when an app is updated to include a watch extension without looking at the list?

Speaking of which, I'm looking for my first set of Bluetooth earbuds for running with this thing. Any decent priced ones people could recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00AIRUOI8

These may be more expensive than you're looking for but I have them and I think they're great.

riotous

Banned
One of my apps decided to remove itself from my watch. "The Score"; which I also had selected to show in Glances.

It received an update today; I'm assuming that's what caused the removal.

Something to look out for.

edit: It also lost my settings; but only on the watch.. the phone app seems to know I was following the Mariner's and the Seahawks... not sure what I can do to get it working right on my watch.

Kinda lame.

edit2: Eventually the app re-synced the settings. So I get the correct score on the watch.

This is the exact model I ordered, but I didn't order till the 19th. Right now I have a June ship date.

I have a Space Grey Black Sports Band 42mm on order as well. That one was ordered WELL before this xx:07am as opposed to xx:40am and it is showing 4-6 weeks and processing still :[

TxdoHawk

Watch arrived today, came home on lunch to pair and start it charging (and send some people those hilari-bad emoji), but just got home from work about an hour ago so I haven't really had time to play with it yet. Will post impressions at some later point.

hilari-bad?

rEGp7Kr.gif

Frostburn

Ordered @ 3:04AM EST.

Originally my ship date was May 13th - 27, this morning finally changed from processing to preparing to ship and a few hours ago it shipped. Hoped this helps.

Nice! It's no Gjallarhorn but not a bad distraction until one drops for you :)

bms2993

Banned
I shipped my Apple Watch band to an eBayer for $50 today. Now I can't use my Apple Watch. I'm thinking about going to Walmart and getting some clay to make a makeshift adapter for a regular watch band. Is this a good idea?

Reason behind this is that I also ordered the black sport band but I never anticipated it taking so long :( :( :(

Sean

Banned
can't believe apple wasted so much time on these tacky things

Agreed, I think they're corny as hell and the way you slowly scroll through them and wait for them to animate is a shitty user experience. But I sent one to my mom (who is 61 years old) earlier this morning and she got a huge kick out of it (pic), so who knows.

Agreed, I think they're corny as hell and the way you slowly scroll through them and wait for them to animate is a shitty user experience. But I sent one to my mom (who is 61 years old) earlier this morning and she got a huge kick out of it (pic), so who knows.

I disagree. Scrolling through the emotions with the digital crown works incredibly well, and while I don't particularly like the glove or the heart, the faces are totally fine. No worse than standard emoji, which admittedly are fairly terrible.

bms2993

Banned
I disagree. Scrolling through the emotions with the digital crown works incredibly well, and while I don't particularly like the glove or the heart, the faces are totally fine. No worse than standard emoji, which admittedly are fairly terrible.

I could see their purpose in that regard, sure, but they should be less creepy. As they are, there are some pretty terrifying emotions for that little smiley guy. The one where his eyes are partially shut and his tongue is sticking out... weird.

You take that back. The prayer hands and the eggplant emoji are the greatest technological achievements of our generation.

Sean

Banned
I haven't seen the red face mad one.. not that I've looked that hard.

Force touch to change it red.

I find at least half of the animated emojis either stupid as hell (a frowny sad face that is also winking at the same time, wtf?) or extremely creepy (the one with the hearts for eyes and panting furiously with its tongue out which goes beyond "cute" into horny/weird territory). Most of them are way worse than the standard emoji imo.

Are these emoji received as animated GIF's to regular iPhone users? Or are they just watch to watch?

animated gifs

Ambient80

Ok maybe you guys can answer this for me.

So I workout today (and this happened a couple days ago too), and my routine was about 45-50 minutes. Mainly jogging, or at least brisk walking. My heart rate stayed ~140 or so and I finished a Workout on the watch at 45 minutes. However, the "rings" in the activity app only had me working for like 17 minutes. Is there something I'm missing somewhere? It has worked properly for me twice, and messed up like this twice. I'm fully active for well over 30 minutes but only get "credit" for maybe 15 or so.

I just wanna consistently fill that DAMN green ring :mad:

So you charge every night smartwatch users (teehee), be honest with the battery: what's the score?

The supplied cable was long enough that I leave it on my bedside table which means I pretty much just take it off and lay it on my table like I would with any other watch. As for battery life, I haven't done any serious testing but it has lasted me through an average day with a mix of work, exercise and just walking around the city without any battery life concerns. I haven't taken it out on a night out after work yet though.

HUELEN10

The supplied cable was long enough that I leave it on my bedside table which means I pretty much just take it off and lay it on my table like I would with any other watch. As for battery life, I haven't done any serious testing but it has lasted me through an average day with a mix of work, exercise and just walking around the city without any battery life concerns. I haven't taken it out on a night out after work yet though.
This is what I am dying to know. I want something I can count on for at least 18 hours with my type of usage in one day.

Apple needs a better way to load apps on the phone. A list of apps in the Watch app is the least elegant way to do this. How am I even supposed to tell when an app is updated to include a watch extension without looking at the list?

The regular App Store now has a badge on iPhone apps that have Watch support. Also, if you type "watch" after a search term, such as "dictionary watch", it'll filter search results to only apps with Watch support.

Ambient80

So you charge every night smartwatch users (teehee), be honest with the battery: what's the score?

I'll give today's rundown, which is a typical example.

Multiple times just checking time.
Multiple twitter checks.
Multiple ESPN news checks.
Sending texts to people throughout day, either using Siri or built-in responses.
Took a phone call today because my phone for some reason disconnected from car's bluetooth.
Got a lot of notifications from multiple sources.
45 minute workout.
Twice I showed off a few features for people who noticed I was wearing it.
Pinged my iPhone once cause I lose stuff constantly, lol.

Some of those drain the battery more than others, obviously. Right now as I'm about to go to bed, my Watch battery sits at 47%. Usually my iPhone battery is 60%+ too, but I played a lot of Hearthstone today... damn addictive game. I've never had a full day of heavy use (my day runs from ~8 to ~midnight) put me anywhere close to a dead battery.

EDIT: Clarity about battery percentage left.

The regular App Store now has a badge on iPhone apps that have Watch support. Also, if you type "watch" after a search term, such as "dictionary watch", it'll filter search results to only apps with Watch support.

Yeah but you still have to go through a long list in the app to install anything on to the phone.

Sean

Banned
So what 3rd party apps are you guys using? Outside of Mint and Fidelity, they all kinda blow.

Hue for changing lights, Authy for two factor authentication stuff, Deliveries for checking my packages, and Calcbot for the tip calculator. Dark Sky (for weather) is cool too but I just use the glance rather than launching the app.

I've read this sentence a few times, but I don't really understand what you mean by that..?

Unless I'm doing something wrong you can either have the phone install every watch app available or you can selectively install watch extensions from the long list of apps that appear in the Watch app on your phone. (I need to try and find a way to explain this without saying Watch or app a thousand times.)

Basically I'm just saying that I think this is a very inelegant way to install apps on your watch.

ONgcTs9.png

riotous

Banned
Seems really straightforward and simple to me. Having things listed in one place is one of the nice things about how cohesive iOS generally is; what else would you prefer? Having to go through your apps and check their settings?

So what 3rd party apps are you guys using? Outside of Mint and Fidelity, they all kinda blow.

Dark Sky is neat if you live somewhere where the weather is unpredictable enough to warrant being notified of changes. It taps your wrist ten minutes before precipitation, and is also just a pretty standard weather app. I've also been using Wunderlist, Workflow, AeroPress Timer, Yummly, Knock, and Yahoo weather.

Wunderlist is a bit slow, like ever third party app so far, but it does what it says on the tin and I was already invested in their stuff; Literally just a way to check my list without pulling my phone out. It has some really nice animations, but other than that it's fairly standard.

Workflow has the potential to be amazing, but it crashes constantly on my iPhone 5 even before I owned a Watch. Standard flowchart type automation that can be amazing, and it really opens up what your watch can do. The one time I successfully used it I ran the tutorial recipe that let me select a series of photos, turn them into a GIF, and post it to Facebook. All of the recipes can be launched and used from your Watch, which means you suddenly can do almost anything exclusively on your Watch.

AeroPress Timer is basically what it sounds like and obviously useless if you don't drink coffee and occasionally use an AeroPress to make it. There's a pretty large selection of recipes, and it goes through each step with a timer automatically after you select one.

I purchased the SS W/Classic buckle and i really hate how fast the screen goes dark.

It is really stupid and this may be a reason i sell it or it goes back.

While it's certainly your right to be dissatisfied, I'd point out that it is 1.0 software of a brand-new product. There will be many software updates to work out these kinks. I'd imagine the fast turn-off of the screen is due to trying to save as much battery life as possible. But if you haven't put your hand down, I agree that it should stay active.

Top Bottom