• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

SuperPac

This does need to be solved though. Basically need another iteration of dictation implementation. Ability to go back and edit, even spell words out directly would be nice not just for the watch but dictation in general. I stopped using siri dictation since I usually have to go back and edit on the phone anyway

If anything they need to push forward and continue to improve dictation so that you remove the need to edit rather than regress and add editing tools/interface elements.

I'd love to get an Apple Watch but with massive shipping delays; I've decided to just wait it out until next gen. I'm a consumer whore where if I can't get it the first few weeks then I feel as if it is too late.

riotous

Banned
If the taptic engine is truly the issue; why aren't they shipping extra bands yet?

Seems like the wide variety of available bands for such a high demand product might be the issue; whether the taptic stories are also true or not.

Apple produces a few colors of cases with every phone launch, but there is tons of competition for cases and not everyone needs or uses one, and only a fraction buy them from Apple.

Whereas every single watch ships with one of a 20+ different bands. And demand for extra bands seems high, and most of that demand is being placed on Apple since third party options are sparse.

Is it not the most "varied" launch of an Apple product, ever? What apple product has ever had the variety of options at launch that this watch has?

I am still June.

I am still sad.
I'm in the same boat. It's a sad boat.

at least we are all in it together

tumblr_mbwcwkHplR1rbbdgbo1_500.gif

GIF runs as slowly as June watches are shipping. /terriblejokes

The June boat is depressing.

ckohler

Here's an update after almost a week with my 42mm Sport Space Grey.

Thoughts:

• I've adjusted to wearing the watch. It feels natural now. This is from someone who hasn't worn a watch for decades. It felt heavy the first two days. Now I barely notice it.
  • Battery life continues to be great.
  • I used the fitness app for the first time yesterday. A two mile walk. It worked well and didn't hurt my battery life that I could tell.
  • Still preferring the Utility watch face over the others.
  • Performance is fast enough. The only real lag that causes problems is with voice dictation which can be really laggy sometimes and fast others. One thing that helps is that the Watch will tap your wrist when it's ready to listen and another tap when it's stopped listening.

Apps Reviews:

• Watch Quest - It's cute but kinda dull and you can't start the game directly on the watch. You have to start it from the phone first.
  • Calc Bot - Works well. I mostly use it for the Tip calculator.
  • Twitter - Ironically, the only good Twitter app if you want to view your feed. Works well enough.
  • Twitteriffic - Much nicer designed than the official App but doesn't let you view your normal timeline. It's only for showing things related to you (retweets, new subscribers, direct messages).
  • Overcast - Currently the best Podcast app for the Watch, imo. Has full control, browsing of all available podcasts/episodes, has a glance showing the current podcast, and you can get notifications when new episodes are available. I personally like Pocket Casts interface more on the iPhone but it doesn't support Watch yet so I've been using Overcast.
  • Cnet - Really great Watch experience from a UI perspective. Articles support photos and galleries. Articles look sharp and are easy to read. The articles only include a short two or three sentence overview and are just meant for quick glances. This works well. Supports news alert notifications with images. Has a glance showing latest story.
  • Amazon - Simple but useful. The main screen is just one, big button to search for products using dictation. Assuming the dictation works well enough, you get a list of products with prices including images. Tapping gives you info like Prime availability, rating, adding to wishlist and even one-tap purchase.
  • Skype - Not that great. Notifications support replying but the actual Watch app itself only shows the most recent message from someone, instead of a full chat transcript.

congrats!

btw. hah, that FF XIV mining app

btw, it took me a while to realize that you were wearing it on your right hand... looks weird until you do.
Thanks. Yeah, I've always worn watches on my right hand, though I'm right handed. I tried the Apple Watch on my left, but it just felt unnatural.

riotous

Banned
The $50 bands you buy from Apple will come with an extra length option and in a nice box. Obviously tax is varied but generally no more than $4-5.

I'm sure you could have sold your band for more, but it's not some awful deal; be happy you provided someone a decent deal on a color they wanted and move on IMO. You'll get a color you want in a box with the extra length option for only a few dollars more than you sold your "open boxed" band for.

I think I need to stay off eBay...

According to the Apple store the green and blue bands are the easiest to find and should ship within 2-4 weeks so maybe those aren't actually worth such a large premium on eBay. If you're happy with the band you end up with then it's all good.

noomi

Ok finally got my space grey black sports bands... wow, this thing is just great, and looks sexy as hell too.

I have to say that the packaging that this came in was outstanding. Opening everything up was an experience in itself.

Setup was easy, went through all the options and got it the way I wanted.

Really enjoying this little guy, already sending texts, viewing notifications, called some people..etc

Really fun and intuitive to use.

mrkgoo

Ok finally got my space grey black sports bands... wow, this thing is just great, and looks sexy as hell too.

I have to say that the packaging that this came in was outstanding. Opening everything up was an experience in itself.

Setup was easy, went through all the options and got it the way I wanted.

Really enjoying this little guy, already sending texts, viewing notifications, called some people..etc

Really fun and intuitive to use.

The watch looks good but it does seem a bit large. Maybe it's just the angle and closeness of your photography.

bms2993

Banned
I just listed my Apple Watch on eBay sans the band. In the end, Apple Watch just was not for me. Glad to see all you folk happy with your orders! Hopefully I can still get somewhat of my money back.

I just listed my Apple Watch on eBay sans the band. In the end, Apple Watch just was not for me. Glad to see all you folk happy with your orders! Hopefully I can still get somewhat of my money back.

Couldn't you have just returned it to Apple for a full refund? I thought they had a 14 day return policy with these (well, before you sold the band of course).

bms2993

Banned
Let me explain. I bought the 38mm green sport watch with the idea i could easily swap bands to the black one using the trade in program. When I was told I couldn't do that, I sold my green band via eBay and ordered the black band. The black band won't be available till late May so I just said forget it all and sell the whole thing on eBay.

I'm a cluster fuck. :(

Let me explain. I bought the 38mm green sport watch with the idea i could easily swap bands to the black one using the trade in program. When I was told I couldn't do that, I sold my green band via eBay and ordered the black band. The black band won't be available till late May so I just said forget it all and sell the whole thing on eBay.

I did the same thing except with the white strap.

I am going to wait it out for the black strap delivery but I actually like the watch.

robot

So if you go to the store to test them out and decide to buy, do they just place an online order for you? They're currently not being stocked in store?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Waiting on a black band for mine as well, rocking the baby blue till then. Why there wasn't a black option for the grey aluminum I'll never know.

At least they could have had the darker bands avaible they showed off at the fashion show thing, I'd take the dark blue. Guess they won't realse them for a few months to make everyone double dip on bands.

Appleman

Kinda bummed that the alarm volume is the same as the regular alert volume... I guess it makes sense, but I like having a teeeeeeeeny sound accompany the haptic notifications, but any alarms I set will be way too quiet to hear.

Guess I'll just keep using my phone as an alarm

ckohler

One of my favorite things to do with the Watch is set timers, completely hands free. Just say, "Hey Siri set a timer for 15 minutes." It auto starts and everything. Very handy.

Top Bottom