• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Flo_Evans

I got mine, woot! Stainless Steel, Classic Buckle.

AjXFzYP.jpg

How is working the digital crown with the watch on your right wrist. That's how I wear my watches.

One of my favorite things to do with the Watch is set timers, completely hands free. Just say, "Hey Siri set a timer for 15 minutes." It auto starts and everything. Very handy.

Interesting that's one of the only things I use Siri for.

Timing long exposure, shaking test kits and timing for solution to develop.

It's easy, that's why I have the watch rotated to the digital crown is on the left instead of the right, so my left-hand finger is closer to it and not crossing to the other side of my wrist. I love the digital crown, it scrolls things so smoothly.

TxdoHawk

Some basic impressions after a little over 24 hours of use:

- Overall, I'm very pleased. Apple Watch feels like a 1.0 product, but to be honest it still feels pretty far ahead of Android Wear in several areas. I'm really eager to see what continued refinement brings to both of these platforms.

- No complaints about the hardware. I ordered a 42mm Space Gray Sport and it looks great. Like probably many others, I was iffy on going with the "cheap" model, but there's nothing here in the construction that gives me pause. I think if someone went from a giant hockey puck like the 360 to one of these, they'd be pretty shocked. Even the ZenWatch, which IMO was one of the nicest AW watches at the time and more comparable in shape, was quite a bit bigger.

- The sport band is a little awkward to put on, but is amazingly comfortable.

- Phablet jokes incoming: I almost wish there was a size just a tad bigger than 42mm. 99% of the time the screen size is fine, but for certain things (PIN unlock is one of them) I have to be careful with my fat fingers.

- Taking calls with the watch, as seemingly nerdy-dumb as it is, is really nice if I know I'm going to have a short conversation. Two complaints: The delay between hitting answer and the call starting on the watch is a little obnoxious, and the speaker could definitely stand to be louder.

- For some reason, you can't look at other months in the calendar app. No clue why. I thought I was going crazy and wasn't swiping right or something, but I saw at least one other person complain about this when I Googled.

- Certain apps (Uber, Amazon) disappeared on my watch app screen. When I look at them on the companion app their option for the watch app is unchecked. Checking them puts up a prompt that says "installing" but they seemingly never install. I chalk this up to 1.0 bugginess.

- I also had an issue initially adding cards to Apple Pay, but Googling for the answer gave it to me: Restarting the watch + the phone fixed that. Again, 1.0 bugginess.

- Wrist detection isn't perfect, but IMO miles better than the Android Wear implementation on the watches I tried. Far fewer false positives is my main impression.

How is working the digital crown with the watch on your right wrist. That's how I wear my watches.

This is how I have mine set up as well. Right wrist, crown on the left side. I thought having the crown low instesd of high wouldn't be as ergonomic, but it has worked out fine.

Interesting that's one of the only things I use Siri for.

Timing long exposure, shaking test kits and timing for solution to develop.

I use mine for important things too
like car naps on my lunch break at work.

pronk420

i'm guessing there are no walk ins for this in the UK? I get the impression it isn't going to be selling a lot from the apple store here, but they probably don't even have any to start with..

I know its super backed up and everything but sometimes the UK is different, and although theres an apple store in this town I can't see there being a huge market for the watch

i'm guessing there are no walk ins for this in the UK? I get the impression it isn't going to be selling a lot from the apple store here, but they probably don't even have any to start with..

I know its super backed up and everything but sometimes the UK is different, and although theres an apple store in this town I can't see there being a huge market for the watch
Apple said they aren't going to sell the watch in stores until July.

Decided to cancel my 42mm SG sport model and go with the 42mm stainless steel, the SS just looks much nicer and less like a toy when I went back the local Apple Store to check the watches out. June is a long ways away :/

Mitch

Banned
The longer I have to wait for the watch, the quicker the initial excitement and tech lust is wearing off.
I think once you actually receive the watch, it'll all come flowing back. At least I hope that's what happens for me. That's not to say I'm not excited any longer. The initial interest is still here, but I'm not going crazy reading up on impressions/reviews all day.

Xcellere

Currently the only store in the ENTIRE Western Hemisphere to sell the Watch is Maxfield in West Hollywood, CA. Was there yesterday and picked up a 38mm Milanese and 42 SG Sport.

So LA-GAF, if you want a Watch within a day or two, this is your only option.

Phreaker

Currently the only store in the ENTIRE Western Hemisphere to sell the Watch is Maxfield in West Hollywood, CA. Was there yesterday and picked up a 38mm Milanese and 42 SG Sport.

So LA-GAF, if you want a Watch within a day or two, this is your only option.

Meanwhile, still waiting... xx:05 email confirmation. team #42mmSGS. ;_;

It's maddening that you can go get one at that store while people that ordered minutes after they went on sale are still waiting.

So many companies don't get the point of a smart watch app. And apple seems to be going in the right direction. For example:

Amazon: hey you can buy something on this very limiting screen...

Apple store: you can check your orders really quickly or find a store.

btkadams

My order is finally preparing for shipment. My card has been charged. It's too bad it's Friday so I won't be getting it until Monday at the earliest.

I ordered a 42mm stainless steel with Milanese loop and have 5/19-5/29 shipping window (Canada) for those who are curious.

SuperPac

Ok, that must be really annoying! How do people deal with this?

I have not noticed the screen lighting up while eating. I have noticed it while driving, and that's only because apparently I move my hands around the steering wheel a lot when driving.

According to Macrumors, most 42mm Apple Watches now have a July estimated ship date

With Tim Cook being the supply chain managerial guru, this has to be a little embarrassing

ito007

So many companies don't get the point of a smart watch app. And apple seems to be going in the right direction. For example:

I think once these third party apps from companies come around, these watches all be truly great. 2nd gen is going to be masterful

Watch apps need to do one MAYBE two things really well, that's it. No one wants to browse around menus on a watch screen when there is an iPhone in there pocket that can do that 100x more easily

Watch apps need to do one MAYBE two things really well, that's it. No one wants to browse around menus on a watch screen when there is an iPhone in there pocket that can do that 100x more easily

Exactly.

Im waiting for my leather loop to come from apple. It is a first world hassle problem to pull out my phone to check the order status... The apple watch makes it two taps and i can go about my day.

It just needs to make one thing convient and offer a better experience than doing it on a phone.

bms2993

Banned
So long, Apple Watch. It now belongs to a new owner. It's best to wait till gen 2. Hey, at least I made profit from it... even without the band...

ckohler

I heard the watch supports the Tamagotchi app now.

KILLER APP

Just so everyone knows, there are several virtual pets available. Along with Tamagotch Classic, there's also Toby, Sidekicks Dragor, Battle Camp, Mu, Hatchi, Watchi, Wibo, and Chairman Cow.

StillEdge

Returning my 38mm SG sports most likely. I bought it to listen to music in my work and apparently headphones aren't allowed, but smart watches are just fine. 😑

riotous

Banned
And this is why they aren't opening up the floor to new faces (yet)

I doubt that's why; most of the faces just do a simple zoom transition. (or at least, don't use the watch icon in their transition.. some objects are locked in size and position, others just move, others grow. Some fairly simple markup on the objects that make up the watch face most likely)

I think it's more reasonable to assume Apple wants to make the API for these on point before releasing them to the wild. And do thorough testing that the API only allows faces that don't cause battery strain issues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I doubt that's why; most of the faces just do a simple zoom transition. (or at least, don't use the watch icon in their transition.. some objects are locked in size and position, others just move, others grow. Some fairly simple markup on the objects that make up the watch face most likely)

I think it's more reasonable to assume Apple wants to make the API for these on point before releasing them to the wild. And do thorough testing that the API only allows faces that don't cause battery strain issues.

They just want control. I don't buy the battery drain argument as they are only on for a few seconds at a time, and the Micky mouse one is already full colour and fully animated, so I can't imagine third party ones being much more complicated. They could release an Apple equivalent of watchmaker on android wear to give limited but flexible controls for making faces.

kaskade

Saw my first Stainless with a black sport band in the wild and I like it. I went with the space grey sport for the first gen but second gen I'll probably go with that one.

iMax

Is anyone's sport band feeling a bit loosely fitted where it connects to the watch? On mine, it feels locked in the middle but the sides can be 'wiggled out' pretty easily.

riotous

Banned
They just want control. I don't buy the battery drain argument as they are only on for a few seconds at a time, and the Micky mouse one is already full colour and fully animated, so I can't imagine third party ones being much more complicated. They could release an Apple equivalent of watchmaker on android wear to give limited but flexible controls for making faces.

Also possible; I just don't think it has anything to do with transition animations.

Just noticed my first scratch on the glass (Sport version). Literally have no idea how it got there; I have been babying the thing. Had my iPhone 6 since launch with no case/screen protector and zero scratches (none on my iPhone 5 either). Glass on the Sport seems to be garbage.

Top Bottom