• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

pretty cool, I must admit

Holy shit I never noticed this. It has got me playing around with it, and I found you can do a similar thing on the Earth clock face where you can spin the earth round, rotate the crown to go forward and back, and also switch to a solar system view.

riotous

Banned
So, i have multiple orders.

Do you think Apple is waiting until they can fulfill all my orders before shipping anything to me or is there a first come first ship aspect to this?

Unlikely; Apple will even ship part of one order once the item is in stock. I've never heard of them doing any sort of bundling across orders.

Just met the first woman I've seen with an Apple watch. Strangely enough she was my yoga teacher.

And this is why they aren't opening up the floor to new faces (yet)

Yeah, really not looking forward to when it goes from beautiful Apple faces like Astronomy and Solar to some random dude uploading a shoddily photoshopped Pip-Boy face that barely works and makes the bezel incredibly obvious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, really not looking forward to when it goes from beautiful Apple faces like Astronomy and Solar to some random dude uploading a shoddily photoshopped Pip-Boy face that barely works and makes the bezel incredibly obvious.

Why would you care what someone else has on their wrist?

Anyone here have the leather loop bracelet? I was thinking of ordering it as a second bracelet, I don't want to wear the rubber band all the time, just for workouts really

Kito

Charging the watch to 100% takes 2.5hrs...

Is it better if I charge the watch 2.5hrs before bed (so I can unplug the charger), or does leaving the watch over night to charge make no difference?

Is it better if I charge the watch 2.5hrs before bed (so I can unplug the charger), or does leaving the watch over night to charge make no difference?

I just put it on the charger overnight.

I don't think there is an issue with that.

finalflame

Put it on the charger before going to bed and go to sleep. Peacefully.

Electronics have accounted for overcharging and stop charging when they are full for forever now. Don't sweat it.

btkadams

Mine shipped today and Apple's shipping estimate says next Wednesday delivery....is that for real? That's abysmal shipping speed. UPS's tracking hasn't shown anything yet so I'm not sure if they will say different but DAMN.

In the movies today I was wondering, how do you keep the Watch from blowing up during times/places you don't want it to? Airplane mode? Power reserve mode? Turn it off? I could see the Apple Watxh being a real nuisance as it would turn on over arm movements of eating popcorn and drinking pop in a theater.

charpunk

In the movies today I was wondering, how do you keep the Watch from blowing up during times/places you don't want it to? Airplane mode? Power reserve mode? Turn it off? I could see the Apple Watxh being a real nuisance as it would turn on over arm movements of eating popcorn and drinking pop in a theater.

I just turned on Do Not Disturb mode before the movie started.

Also you can turn off the option to turn on when raising your wrist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it have a theater mode? Android wear has that, which mutes the watch and turns off wrist activation - you have to press the crown button to wake the screen up. It stays in that mode until you turn it off.

Does it have a theater mode? LAndroid wear has that, which mutes the watch and turns off wrist activation - you have to press the crown button to wake the screen up. It stays in that mode until you turn it off.
I was doing some reading over at MacRumors (ugh, what a horrible experience) and there is no Theater Mode on the Apple Watch. That is such a great idea, I am surprised Apple missed it. I can't imagine it will be a feature that stays away for very long.

As charpunk said, you have to turn the Apple Watch to Do Not Disturb and then also go in and turn off the option for Raise to Turn On.

Don't charge it overnight, the lithium battery inside the watch can explode and kill you in your sleep.

Juice

I was doing some reading over at MacRumors (ugh, what a horrible experience) and there is no Theater Mode on the Apple Watch. That is such a great idea, I am surprised Apple missed it. I can't imagine it will be a feature that stays away for very long.

As charpunk said, you have to turn the Apple Watch to Do Not Disturb and then also go in and turn off the option for Raise to Turn On.

Meh. If you care, then just turn it off. Basically what people would want from "theater mode" is literally equivalent to "turned off" in the existing Watch.

Kito

Now that I've trialled Wrist Detection both on and off, I'm very happy to keep it off. If you're pulling your wrist towards you to check the time, it's extremely quick to just tap it on. It's better this way. When it's on, the screen often lights up when it shouldn't, making you very conscious of your arm movements.

finalflame

Now that I've trialled Wrist Detection both on and off, I'm very happy to keep it off. If you're pulling your wrist towards you to check the time, it's extremely quick to just tap it on. It's better this way. When it's on, the screen often lights up when it shouldn't, making you very conscious of your arm movements.

Never actually had an issue with it distracting me when I wasn't meaning to look at it. However, at times it doesn't really turn the screen on when I want it to (slight flick of the wrist towards me to check time, etc).

Understandable given the sensor/whatever algorithm they have driving the detection is likely to have limitations that really just can't be accounted for. Maybe the second gen will have a front-facing camera that can passively detect whether there was both a movement and the watch went from facing away from you to detecting any of your facial features (so as to know that you are trying to look at it ).

Kito

Maybe the second gen will have a front-facing camera that can passively detect whether there was both a movement and the watch went from facing away from you to detecting any of your facial features (so as to know that you are trying to look at it ).

Privacy concern and battery drain mean we will probably never see a passive camera, although functionally I prefer it over wrist detection. I'd like a sensor that detects a clenched fist above all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I might go for the second gen version. IMO it needs to be a little faster and last at least 24hrs, 48 preferably.

I doubt you'll get 48 hours. Apple tend to settle on an acceptable battery length and then iterations focus on speed/resolution/size/weight - keeping the same battery life. If they think 18 hours is enough for a full day usage, they will probably stick to that. There is no real competition as a adroid wear is android only at the moment, and is similar in battery life; and there isn't a major breakthrough in battery that would give double the life for the same size.

I'd always welcome more battery life but so far this thing has been surprisingly good. I started my morning at 6 am yesterday and didn't get home until around 1 am and it was still working fine. I didn't go to the gym though and I believe that eats up the battery.

If I pushed it I think I could get 24 hours right now.

The percentage at the end of the day seems to make me think it's possible. That's on a 38mm.

number11

Something that makes sense which I'm surprised isn't included... But it would be great if you can assign specific glances when swiping left/right. Glances can actually be slower than opening the app through the app menu.

Why is the shazam glance your recent search, rather than the 'listen now' button.

Something that makes sense which I'm surprised isn't included... But it would be great if you can assign specific glances when swiping left/right. Glances can actually be slower than opening the app through the app menu..
You can choose which apps show up as glances, but yeah, you can't choose the order I don't think.

If I pushed it I think I could get 24 hours right now.

The percentage at the end of the day seems to make me think it's possible. That's on a 38mm.

Yeah, yesterday was my first full day with the watch, I didn't try to save battery life or anything, but it was at 49% when I went to bed. 42mm.

number11

You can choose which apps show up as glances, but yeah, you can't choose the order I don't think.

I worded that wrong. Swiping down brings up notifications, up brings up glances.. It would be great if you can also swipe left or right from the watch screen to bring up different glances.

SuperPac

Yes, you can choose the order. You can edit it in the Apple Watch app on the iPhone - in Glances. Just edit and reorder them using the handles on the right.

asdad123

I tried one out at my local Apple store. It felt weird on my wrist. Almost as it was digging in. I tried both the 38mm and 42mm. Stainless steel looks great. Aluminum, not so much.

The sports band sucked in my opinion. It was terrible trying to figure out how to put it on (maybe I was doing it wrong lol). Screen was nice. I like new tech alot, but I just cant justify spending over $600 on this.

I'll wait it out to see what they do until next year.

I saw another one out in the wild this week. It was a stainless steel one with the milanese loop. looked gorgeous, but too big on this person's wrist.

what surprised me though was the screen wasn't as smudged and reflective as the space grey aluminum one I spotted a week or so back. Is there a different coating on the sapphire, or is it just less showing of the finger smudges? Or, just something as simple as that person had recently wiped their screen with their shirt or something?

Recently wiped or just the wrong angle of light :) My sapphire screen shows the results of swipes about the same as my iPad Air, though being a watch it's really easy to wipe off with a quick motion.

Dez

Anyone have any guesses whether the apple straps will be compatible with future revisions of the watch? I'm so tempted by the link bracelet now that I've had the watch for a week.

It's been a couple of weeks now - are third party bands starting to appear yet?

After just a couple weeks? Heck no. Apple didn't work with any third-party band manufacturer, so they wouldn't have had a chance to find out the specifications to do it until they actually got a watch in their hands, and then manufacturing of precision metal connectors takes time. Don't expect any third-party bands until at least June.

cakefoo

I might go for the second gen version. IMO it needs to be a little faster and last at least 24hrs, 48 preferably.
42mm owner here. Just came back from a trip and have been too lazy to plug my charger into the wall. Hasn't been on a charger in over 72 hours straight. I wore it for probably 40 of those hours. It just died as I was sitting here.

The only things I do to conserve battery are disabling fitness tracking and relying on my phone to cure extended bouts of boredom. I use the watch ~50 times a day for notifications, voice commands, Apple Pay, etc. I typically end the day with 50%+ battery. No battery concerns for me.

Meh. If you care, then just turn it off. Basically what people would want from "theater mode" is literally equivalent to "turned off" in the existing Watch.
People don't want to be completely disconnected for 2 hours. You never know what could happen that could require a timely response. There needs to be a mode that prevents the screen from coming on unless you tap the screen or crown button, and that mode needs to be as easy to engage as Silent/Do Not Disturb/etc. There's room for it if they'd just make the "Ding my iPhone" button half size.

Finally had the chance to head to the Apple Store to try one on (don't have the money now, but seeing about picking one up later this summer).

Was surprised by the milanese loop, was originally looking at the leather loop. Probably would get the leather for more professional outings, but the milanese one was a fair bit lighter than I thought it would be.

kaskade

One thing about the watch is it kind of almost makes me want a 6 plus. Since I don't take my phone out as much it might be nice to have a larger screen when I actually do. Maybe I'll switch my 6 for a 6s plus or whatever the next one is.

People don't want to be completely disconnected for 2 hours. You never know what could happen that could require a timely response. There needs to be a mode that prevents the screen from coming on unless you tap the screen or crown button, and that mode needs to be as easy to engage as Silent/Do Not Disturb/etc. There's room for it if they'd just make the "Ding my iPhone" button half size.

If you are at a theater, make sure you walk out of the seats and around a corner before you look to see what the screen says. Otherwise you will be annoying every person around you.

cakefoo

If you are at a theater, make sure you walk out of the seats and around a corner before you look to see what the screen says. Otherwise you will be annoying every person around you.
This has to be a joke. Walking out inconveniences multiple rows of people as you obstruct their view and make them twist around in their seats both when you leave and when you return.

Not even the people directly next to you will see the watch if you hold it down near your lap. It'll be outside their periphery.

Checking for emergency situations or extremely important time-sensitive alerts during a movie is socially acceptable, if you can do it without anyone noticing. It's much easier to do with a watch than a phone because the smaller screen is easier to hide and doesn't emit as much total light.

should he also get back in his car before checking his watch?

Putting the watch close to your chest and looking at it should be pretty harmless

Top Bottom