• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

bms2993

Banned
The problem with buying all these watches is that it takes temporary funds out my account until I am able to sell them back. It's very unwise that I am even buying these at all given that I am a college student still.

Funny how EVEN A USED WATCH opened... can still fetch a price more than what I paid for. The power of a simple brand. Un-freakin-believable.

It also helps that I live RIGHT by the distribution shipment center for my region that Apple uses.

The problem with buying all these watches is that it takes temporary funds out my account until I am able to sell them back. It's very unwise that I am even buying these at all given that I am a college student still.

Funny how EVEN A USED WATCH opened... can still fetch a price more than what I paid for. The power of a simple brand. Un-freakin-believable.

It also helps that I live RIGHT by the distribution shipment center for my region that Apple uses.

right, that's how eBay works when a new product launches, look forward to more of your selling updates in the coming weeks

bms2993

Banned
See first I sold the band... this was because I originally wanted to see if I could just get a black sport band...
Screen_Shot_2015_05_03_at_3_14_30_PM.png

THEN after realizing I didn't want to wait so long for the sport band to ship, I sold the watch...
Screen_Shot_2015_05_03_at_3_15_11_PM.png

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
See first I sold the band... this was because I originally wanted to see if I could just get a black sport band...

THEN after realizing I didn't want to wait so long for the sport band to ship, I sold the watch...
Why did you create a new account? I hope it is okay to ask o_o..

bms2993

Banned
Just looked it up. It isn't against terms to have more than one account. Cool. Well I hope that answered your question.

I'm confused. If you sold the green sport band separate why do you list it as being included with the watch?

bms2993

Banned
I'm confused. If you sold the green sport band separate why do you list it as being included with the watch?

Because that was the name of the product on Apple's site. In the description I state that the band is not included.

Should not have done that in retrospect. Buyer knew what he was doing because he read the description. It's all good.

cakefoo

Tell me you didn't create a new account to hide the listing from the previous buyer... lol

Because that was the name of the product on Apple's site. In the description I state that the band is not included.

Should not have done that in retrospect. Buyer knew what he was doing because he read the description. It's all good.
SMH.

Nope. No ink anywhere on my body. Worked fine for a little more than a week, and now it has no idea that it is being worn. It asks for a passcode every time it wakes up and it's no longer sending notifications to the Watch just like it wouldn't if you didn't have it on your wrist. Also strange is that the heart rate sensor still works which I thought was a part of wrist detection. I already tried wiping everything off the Watch and setting up as new. Powered it off and on, did a hard reset, powered off and on my iPhone, still not working. I am beginning to suspect that I might have a defective Watch.

Also the Watch has taken no abuse, has never gotten wet since I've had it. It is driving me nuts though.

Talked to AppleCare and I am being escalated to a senior adviser who I guess has more tools available for diagnostics.

bms2993

Banned
So looking at the average out of ten 38MM Stainless Steel Watches sold on eBay is $875.94. I paid $694.43. By the time eBay fees and shipping fees come around I don't think it is worth it to sell. What do you think?

kaskade

Damn, I noticed a very small nick in my screen. Not noticeable since it's off the main screen in a corner but maybe I should get that apple care after all.

Fusebox

Banned
I figured someone would ask so my answer is that it was to list more items. Probably against terms and what not, but yeah.

HUH?

That makes no sense. Ebay lets you sell more than 1 thing at a time using only 1 account. Looks dodgy as hell man.

So looking at the average out of ten 38MM Stainless Steel Watches sold on eBay is $875.94. I paid $694.43. By the time eBay fees and shipping fees come around I don't think it is worth it to sell. What do you think?

You seriously think this is the place to ask about your flipping concerns? Most people are being sarcastic with you here

I was fine with selling the first watch since it seemed like you didn't want it but ordering another watch for the sole purpose of selling it on eBay feels gross.

bms2993

Banned
I was fine with selling the first watch since it seemed like you didn't want it but ordering another watch for the sole purpose of selling it on eBay feels gross.

Thing is I don't know if I want to sell it or not yet. I think I might want one... but is stainless the best option?

Who cares, make as much money as you can its not as if anyone buying the watch values money. Buying a Gen A apple product is like flushing it down a toilet anyway.

bms2993

Banned
Who cares, make as much money as you can its not as if anyone buying the watch values money. Buying a Gen A apple product is like flushing it down a toilet anyway.

As someone who bought the original iPhone, iPad, I must agree with you. When the original iPhone came out, I made a LOT of profit off of it just by selling it on eBay at a starting price of a dollar. Hey, I only started it at a dollar!

cakefoo

When the original iPhone came out, I made a LOT of profit off of it just by selling it on eBay at a starting price of a dollar. Hey, I only started it at a dollar!
You must have been the exception to the rule.

A significant amount were only making their money back, even closing at a loss. In fact, the average profit on the iPhone (including the ones that didn't sell at all) during the analysis was $54.43; the median profit was even lower at $34.16.

When Apple's own iPhone locater was last updated, most Apple retail stores still had the phone in stock, sans lines.

I hear that sentiment a lot but I'm not sure it's always true. My original iPhone and iPad were pretty solid devices.

btkadams

You could really say this about any first gen product by any company.

Tadale

I just ordered a 42 mm sport watch with a black band. Estimated ship time is July - I'm hoping that's very conservative.

You sold your other one, didn't you? I have to say, being on here, talking about what essentially amounts to how much you can rip a potential purchaser off is pretty scummy. Pretty scummy. Keep it is you want it. If you don't, why not sell it for face and shipping to somebody here who really wants one?

bms2993

Banned
You sold your other one, didn't you? I have to say, being on here, talking about what essentially amounts to how much you can rip a potential purchaser off is pretty scummy. Pretty scummy. Keep it is you want it. If you don't, why not sell it for face and shipping to somebody here who really wants one?

For all I know I am selling it for a dollar. I list my auctions at a dollar. If the people want it so bad that my initial starting price of a dollar goes to high amounts, then so be it. Not my problem.

For all I know I am selling it for a dollar. I list my auctions at a dollar. If the people want it so bad that my initial starting price of a dollar goes to high amounts, then so be it. Not my problem.

What exactly are you gaining from posting here about your flippings when it's clear no one is interested?

riotous

Banned
I'm never going to use the small side, why not have a different color handy to rock it two tone? I'm hoping someone else will want to do the same with their unused side.

The watch doesn't come with 2 sizes though. Did you already receive an extra separate band?

HoTHiTTeR

The watch doesn't come with 2 sizes though. Did you already receive an extra separate band?

Of course it does. Have you not received your sport watch yet? Apple includes three pieces of the watchband; one static piece, one small notched side, and one large notched side. I'm using my large side, and I'm hoping to trade the small for someone elses unused large of a different color.

riotous

Banned
Of course it does. Have you not received your sport watch yet? Apple includes three pieces of the watchband; one static piece, one small notched side, and one large notched side. I'm using my large side, and I'm hoping to trade the small for someone elses unused large of a different color.

Derp; brain fart. I was thinking about the original assumption that it came with 2 full bands.

I haven't received my 42mm Space Gray yet that I ordered ~13 mins after pre-orders went live on April 10th. In looking at the MacRumors forums, it seems like they've only shipped out peoples watches who ordered within the first 6 minutes on April 10th. Not sure if this data is consistent or entirely reliable but it serves as a starting point to at least realize that that model is making some slow progress in comparison to others.

Blows my mind that one of you guys already managed to not only get two watches ordered and shipped in this span of time but have already flipped one (in a dubious way, at that).

Can't wait to get this tiny little thing. On an unrelated note, when looking at some band configurations in the store the other day I noticed how funny the watch looked with no bands on it. Reminded me of the an older iPod nano (was it the 2nd gen version?) that was just a tiny touch screen square. Remember when third parties sold rubber wrist straps for that thing and people would essentially turn it into a very rudimentary smart watch? Makes me wonder if there will be some weird second use for the Apple Watch, outside of being attached to bands worn on wrists. It's a tiny little square computer.
*Edit* Photo Attached
infuse-color-variations-292x300.jpg

Not really, you'll get a full 2 good years out of most "Gen A" Apple products - it's not until the third generation that they really make the great updates worth updating for. For example, iPad 2 was just a slightly faster iPad with more memory and a camera, iPad 3 had that sweet retina display (and even more speed and memory and a better camera). iPhone 3G added 3g internet and a slightly better camera, but 3GS doubled that internet speed, greatly increased the phone speed, got an entire new graphics chip capable of effects like bump mapping with programmable pixel shaders (which wasn't improved upon until iPhone 5s), and its camera could now take videos.

pwack

Not really, you'll get a full 2 good years out of most "Gen A" Apple products - it's not until the third generation that they really make the great updates worth updating for. For example, iPad 2 was just a slightly faster iPad with more memory and a camera, iPad 3 had that sweet retina display (and even more speed and memory and a better camera). iPhone 3G added 3g internet and a slightly better camera, but 3GS doubled that internet speed, greatly increased the phone speed, got an entire new graphics chip capable of effects like bump mapping with programmable pixel shaders (which wasn't improved upon until iPhone 5s), and its camera could now take videos.

Agreed. I still have a first-gem iPad. Its not fast and can't run iOS 8, but it is great for what I use it for -- mainly movies and videos (hulu, netlifx, amazon prime, iTunes), lots of use by kids. The thing has been rock solid for years, still gets great battery life.

pharmx

I haven't received my 42mm Space Gray yet that I ordered ~13 mins after pre-orders went live on April 10th. In looking at the MacRumors forums, it seems like they've only shipped out peoples watches who ordered within the first 6 minutes on April 10th. Not sure if this data is consistent or entirely reliable but it serves as a starting point to at least realize that that model is making some slow progress in comparison to others.

Blows my mind that one of you guys already managed to not only get two watches ordered and shipped in this span of time but have already flipped one (in a dubious way, at that).

Can't wait to get this tiny little thing. On an unrelated note, when looking at some band configurations in the store the other day I noticed how funny the watch looked with no bands on it. Reminded me of the an older iPod nano (was it the 2nd gen version?) that was just a tiny touch screen square. Remember when third parties sold rubber wrist straps for that thing and people would essentially turn it into a very rudimentary smart watch? Makes me wonder if there will be some weird second use for the Apple Watch, outside of being attached to bands worn on wrists. It's a tiny little square computer.
*Edit* Photo Attached
infuse-color-variations-292x300.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting on mine also...the same one as you ordered.

Anyone else having issues with the heart rate sensor. Mine hasn't been able to determine my heart rate for the past 3 days.

Edit:

Turning it off and on seemed to have fixed the problem. I was worried my hairy arms were interfering with the sensors but luckily it looks like I won't need to wax them.

I'm contemplating getting a Milanese loop to go with the sport band for my 42mm stainless steel watch. Impressions?
I tried the Milanese loop on at the nearest Apple Store Saturday night and fell in love with it immediately! It looks great in person, is smooth and meshes well with the skin, and the magnetic "strap" part not only allows you to really fine tune the fit, but is exceptionally strong, so I walked away feeling it would never come loose through normal wear.

I want the Milanese loop band, but $150 is a bit hard of a price to swallow.

Top Bottom