• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Just sold my Apple watch for $1090. I paid $679 about. Based Apple.

Wait?

The SS you bought yesterday?

Realistically. You could run a profit on these for a while. There is an illusion that all of the models are rare thanks to delivery dates defaulting to June/July on the Apple Store. In reality, there are some models that are showing up within a week of ordering and people who are oblivious to this.

It's exploitable.

mitheor

Who the hell tries to save $10 out of $1100 instead of just closing the deal?

This.

And ...

fsy9Ts5.jpg

Kito

Owari

Still no sign of my watch. Starting to lose massive amounts of hype. Might cancel the order and buy PC parts instead. This launch is ridiculously sloppy, Apple had better step up and finally ship something or people are going to start canceling en masse.

SuperPac

So much for "maybe keeping it this time," huh.

OK so for those that have kept their watches/been wearing them a week, what do you think?

For me, it's pretty clear this is not a phone replacement. I am not sure it ever could be. It's great at small interactions - quick replies to texts, changing tracks on the music player, staying on top of email/getting notified of VIP or important threads. But it's not great on longer replies to texts, dealing with email other than deleting/flagging, and anything you have to open a separate app to do. I have the Alarm.com app they demoed in the Spring Forward keynote and that thing is extremely slow and hit or miss on whether it actually does the thing you told it to. I wish Glances kept up-to-date more often.

My wife actually found that she was less responsive to texts on the watch because it usually wasn't convenient to speak a reply into Siri. And then she'd forget to reply later when she was on her phone.

It has sort of gotten me interacting with my phone less than I did before, and that's good. I don't feel like I need my phone on me when walking around the house. I am also noticing that the battery life on my phone has gotten a bit worse.

All in all, a decent 1.0 product - looking forward to the updates to come.

bms2993

Banned
So much for "maybe keeping it this time," huh.

OK so for those that have kept their watches/been wearing them a week, what do you think?

For me, it's pretty clear this is not a phone replacement. I am not sure it ever could be. It's great at small interactions - quick replies to texts, changing tracks on the music player, staying on top of email/getting notified of VIP or important threads. But it's not great on longer replies to texts, dealing with email other than deleting/flagging, and anything you have to open a separate app to do. I have the Alarm.com app they demoed in the Spring Forward keynote and that thing is extremely slow and hit or miss on whether it actually does the thing you told it to. I wish Glances kept up-to-date more often.

My wife actually found that she was less responsive to texts on the watch because it usually wasn't convenient to speak a reply into Siri. And then she'd forget to reply later when she was on her phone.

It has sort of gotten me interacting with my phone less than I did before, and that's good. I don't feel like I need my phone on me when walking around the house. I am also noticing that the battery life on my phone has gotten a bit worse.

All in all, a decent 1.0 product - looking forward to the updates to come.

Siri didn't work that well at all for me. I guess she had a hard time understanding my southern accent. Agreed, this watch really is meant for short interactions and nothing more. I would never compose an email message with this device which explains why Apple left that reply feature out of Watch OS. Definitely has me using my phone less and less. I love that aspect.

bms2993

Banned
Can you guys tell I'm indecisive about what I want to do? I want to use and keep the watch, but a part of me.. well...

This is my final decision. Going to remove the eBay listing and decline the sales offer. I want this watch. SS with classic buckle looks divine.

I also do not want to be the bad guy.

You have a compulsive need for attention, eh? Even if it means lying to get it?

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=171777250440

Auction is still up

So not only does this idiot brag about flipping but lies about it

How pathetic are people?

Can you guys tell I'm indecisive about what I want to do? I want to use and keep the watch, but a part of me.. well...

This is my final decision. Going to remove the eBay listing and decline the sales offer. I want this watch. SS with classic buckle looks divine.

I also do not want to be the bad guy.

No one here gives a shit what you do, clogging this thread up with your crap, how many people need to tell you this?

bms2993

Banned
So, who else has a stainless steel Apple watch? Is it any more comfortable than the sport? Is it more susceptible to scratches? Same material used on the back of the old iPods?

f@luS

More than a member.
just got my black sport

"activate on wrist raise" to display the time doesnt work. I always go to last app used whatever setting i use

bms2993

Banned
just got my black sport

"activate on wrist raise" to display the time doesnt work. I always go to last app used whatever setting i use

Yeah, that happened to me when I had my sport. I think there's a short period of time when not in use that it will go back to the last app. Kind of annoying.

noomi

I feel weird talking into my watch replying to texts.... I don't do it in public lol... Other than that it's pretty awesome, using it all day to check texts, emails, weather, activity....etc.

Fun little gadget, but still has a lot of untapped potential for future generations to take advantage of. Hopefully software/firmware updates will make it even better in the near future.

For me, I've found it most useful when at work or home.... When my phone is in a different location, I am still able to take calls, read/reply to texts...etc

Oh yeah, also being like "Hey siri play recent playlist" while driving is very helpful :)

bms2993

Banned
I feel weird talking into my watch replying to texts.... I don't do it in public lol... Other than that it's pretty awesome, using it all day to check texts, emails, weather, activity....etc.

Fun little gadget, but still has a lot of untapped potential for future generations to take advantage of. Hopefully software/firmware updates will make it even better in the near future.

For me, I've found it most useful when at work or home.... When my phone is in a different location, I am still able to take calls, read/reply to texts...etc

Oh yeah, also being like "Hey siri play recent playlist" while driving is very helpful :)

Yeah, texting by talking into your wrist in public is very weird looking and makes me feel uncomfortable. I would not recommend it for anybody and if I saw somebody doing that I would probably call them out on that. I don't think this what everyone of those things that are acceptable in society. But, for a quick glances such as weather stocks and having the driving directions tapped out on your rest while driving is very satisfying and convenient. I'm still not sure of all of the great and wonderful uses of the watch outside of chess looking at notifications and being out of your work phone and being more aware of what is going on the world Area maybe that's it maybe best the reason Apple Washington's. To be more aware of what is going on the world estimation point

bms2993

Banned
Can we please get back on topic? This has seemingly devolved into an eBay thread all of a sudden.

We are back on topic. IMAX, do you want an apple watch? Do you enjoy using it on a day-to-day basis? I will be receiving a new model on Wednesday if all goes well so I'm really looking forward to wearing a nice-looking one then my sport

bms2993

Banned
is that so? anyone else to confirm? annoying

I second this. Somebody else needs to confirm as well. It might just be me but when you our own an application and then you switch the watch to sleep mode and quickly turn the screen back on the last use application will be shown regardless of the settings

Kito

CGP Grey, who uses his watch on silent with minimal notifications, particularly liked these in his podcast:

• Silent timers. Frequently uses 20min or 40min timers for tasks, haptic feedback doesn't distract or startle like the iPhone's obnoxious phone vibration.
  • Silent alarms/reminders. His wife tells him a story over dinner, and when an alarm goes off she has no idea the alarm has gone off, it doesn't interrupt her story. She can finish her story and he can part the conversation at a better moment.
Frank and others, I did not lie about anything. No bullshit. Auction is closed and I am just going to enjoy my new watch. Case. Closed.

I was waiting for the auction to close after exposure, ha. Instead of apologising for spamming this OT with your now 'removed' replies (do you not even feel embarrassed?), you continue to post like nothing's happened. Your fraud and boastful scalping is documented here in quotes so your future posts will have zero credibility here - no one is going to believe what you have to say.

Ninja Dom

I had a great demo of the Apple Watch at the weekend and I think I'll buy the Space Grey Sport next week. I'm gonna use Apple's financing option (6 months). Anybody know when they'll start charging for the payments even though the watch is stated to ship in July?? UK here.

bms2993

Banned
CGP Grey, who uses his watch on silent with minimal notifications, particularly liked these in his podcast:

• Silent timers. Frequently uses 20min or 40min timers for tasks, haptic feedback doesn't distract or startle like the iPhone's obnoxious phone vibration.
  • Silent alarms/reminders. His wife tells her a story over dinner, and when an alarm goes off she has no idea the alarm has gone off, it doesn't interrupt her story. She can finish her story and he can part the conversation at a better moment.

I was waiting for the auction to close after exposure, ha. Instead of apologising for spamming this OT with your now 'removed' replies (do you not even feel embarrassed?), you continue to post like nothing's happened. Your fraud and boastful scalping is documented here in quotes so your future posts will have zero credibility here - no one is going to believe what you have to say.

Moskito, we are back on topic. Let's not get back off track again. I apologize and thank you.

Do you own an Apple Watch? If so, do you enjoy it?

bms2993

Banned
I had a great demo of the Apple Watch at the weekend and I think I'll buy the Space Grey Sport next week. I'm gonna use Apple's financing option (6 months). Anybody know when they'll start charging for the payments even though the watch is stated to ship in July?? UK here.

The space gray sport it's a very good option. However the availability the space screen sportis Area and limited right now and if you want later and that's fine but if you want to now you mama go for a blue or green band option. Financing is a good deal. Have done that with my MacBook Pro before.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, that doesn't look good at all, exactly why I went with SS, so I can mix and match. The sport really only looks good with the sports band
Yep, especially the silver one. It can go with any sport band, but only the sport band. The space grey is a bit different, doesn't go well with ALL sport bands but can maybe rock a dark leather loop.

I am getting a Watch Sport in silver and I'm perfectly fine with that, I love the sport bands. I'd collect them all if they weren't so pricey. Still want to get a few. Blue and black are the basics then I want a fiery colour, hopefully red or orange comes out meanwhile, otherwise pink it is.

Basically I'm embracing the Watch Sport like a Swatch or something. A sporty playful looking watch (somewhat discreet with the black band when it needs be). Maybe in future gens when I'm older and wiser I can go for a more classy look with an SS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the Milanese strap slippery at all? I have a metal band on a few of my watches and often find I have to wear them quite tight to stop them slipping down.

Nooooooooooo

apple-watch-sport-milanese-sleeve_0.jpeg
I think the picture exacerbates the clashing of the two metals. I didn't find it nearly as jarring when I had the Apple store rep recreate that for me during my try-on. The stainless steel portion is so small, by comparison, it doesn't show up nearly as offensive as the picture. This is, of course, all in my opinion.

Owari

You are wrong. (and sarcastic!) I ordered my watch on May 2nd and it's due to arrive on Tuesday (May 5th)!
Good for you. Mines not due until the 13-27 because Apple forgot how to supply product.

Losing hype by the day. They better ship it before I cancel the order.

bms2993

Banned
I jogged for the few days I had my lime green sport apple watch and I must say I love it. The exercise app is really great and accurate as far as distance and calories are concerned. I also love the satisfaction of having the ring filled up everyday. Apple Watch really is a fantastic little device for exercise.

I know the idea is "stupid" in practice but...

What are some of the most enjoyable games on this thing? Some tamagotchi clones come to mind, but I don't yet have the watch to fool around with any apps let alone games.

Am I the only one that actually would enjoy the tiny little screen for some neat interactive experiences? I'm trying to envision what game dev a year or two down the road will look like for the Apple Watch. Honestly, I don't know why I am so enamored by the idea of tiny electronics. There's something about being able to more effectively integrate it into the present moment that is lost when you look at something like even your phone.

I could see some cool game that uses location tracking for populated areas to set up some sort of zombies or assassin game where a few people in an area are designated targets or zombies. The general population wouldn't know who they are but when you get within range you have the ability to have some sort of fight or stealth attack that takes you out or makes you a zombie.

I could go on and on but something about this thing reminds me of linking together two digimon units and fighting friends at recess, or scanning barcodes at the store to get monsters to train. I feel like passive passing interactions between electronics like Street Pass on the 3DS could become commonplace if this thing really does reach critical mass. What if you could see other peoples fitness stats that you pass on the sidewalk at a quick glance (or other such information that one would designate "receivable")?

Top Bottom