• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

T-0800

Wife just got a watch but when she receives a message on her phone nothing is happening on the watch to alert her. What does she need to do for the watch to get her attention?

hirokazu

Gorgeous. If they had made black ceramic I would have been all over it
I have the space black stainless steel and it looks great.

Is there nothing Apple could do to reward devs to update the watch apps?
Well having a good Watch app is supposed to give them an advantage on the market. Only problem is the install base is too low for people to care and there's not that much in the way of reviews. I'm fairly certain a lot of devs whose apps support the Watch don't even have a Watch themselves. They just test it briefly in the Simulator, looks okay, and call it a day.

Trying to track down the Orange 42mm sports band by Apple is proving tough, thought they'd be loads on eBay.

I wonder what Apple do with all their old stock? It's discontinued now :/

Quonny

Got my Nike+ 42mm Volt today, really liking it. Not a fan of the band for anything but running so replaced it with a nice Milanese from Amazon.

Is anyone using a charger/dock different from the one the watch comes with? I was thinking of getting this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZ9X0X0/

Or something similar anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-P...nd-Spigen-Charging-Premium-cradle/B0109I9W24/

If you want something with more functionality, I wouldn't go with this one, but I have one for me and my wife and we love it. Sticks to our nightstand and holds the wire in perfectly.

Quonny

Replacement Series 2 Watch has a defect too.

Unfuckingreal.

That really sucks.

Can't you just send it back, go to Best Buy where they have them in stock, and buy one there? You can even open it up in the parking lot and make sure it's not broken. That's what I did.

Not excusing the shitty situation.

TUSR

Banned
That really sucks.

Can't you just send it back, go to Best Buy where they have them in stock, and buy one there? You can even open it up in the parking lot and make sure it's not broken. That's what I did.

Not excusing the shitty situation.

Sold out everywhere near where I live. But regardless im done with Apple Watches.

What's the new problem? That's rather uncharacteristic with Apple, but if I were in your situation, I'd probably just say "fuck it, give me my money back."

Same as before, the screen isn't completely flat. Its not as bad as the previous one, but it took me about half a second to see the light reflecting differently off a high point on it.

Selected my language, selected Canada, and when it was on the black screen just before pairing its so visible.

TUSR

Banned
Apple Care systems are down until 11 EST tonight.

Literally could not make this shit up. Holy fuck.

The pictures of this were harder to take because of the lighting. I want an honest opinion from anyone who sees these, am I being too picky?

EMCDDmW.jpg

5srQvAO.jpg

As you can see from the change in reflection, the display isn't flat in a section in the top left quadrant (Directly right of the light source). It extends further down, but there was difficulty taking the pictures with my iPhone and lighting setup.

pbsapeer

Banned
Apple Care systems are down until 11 EST tonight.

Literally could not make this shit up. Holy fuck.

The pictures of this were harder to take because of the lighting. I want an honest opinion from anyone who sees these, am I being too picky?

As you can see from the change in reflection, the display isn't flat in a section in the top left quadrant (Directly right of the light source). It extends further down, but there was difficulty taking the pictures with my iPhone and lighting setup.
To be honest, all I can tell is a change in lighting. Definitely not as bad as you've shown before and I'm struggling to actually see it in that picture.

Anyway if you're not happy (I completely would be unhappy in your shoes) I'd send it back and get a refund. Maybe get it from somewhere else when you're less disappointed and they're back in stock. What a joke for you though. I legit cannot believe it.

TUSR

Banned
To be honest, all I can tell is a change in lighting. Definitely not as bad as you've shown before and I'm struggling to actually see it in that picture.

Anyway if you're not happy (I completely would be unhappy in your shoes) I'd send it back and get a refund. Maybe get it from somewhere else when you're less disappointed and they're back in stock. What a joke for you though. I legit cannot believe it.

Yeah, its difficult to see even with decent lighting. But at certain angles I can easily see it, and now its in my head that its there. Unfortunately, my photography skills are not the greatest in capturing this. Open up the two pictures in separate tabs and switch between them.

I've only come across a few people online that have had bulging Apple Watch screens, and somehow I've ended up with one quite bad one and another that is slightly noticeable.

I'm disappointed that its happened twice, and even more so with Apple and their QC on this. Im going to send this unit back, the stigma is already in my head that I spent $700 on a Watch with a defect.

When you go on a Walk workout, you can set Active Calories? Is that a goal that you are setting that you want to reach? And, is that linked to the red outta ring?

When you go on a Walk workout, you can set Active Calories? Is that a goal that you are setting that you want to reach? And, is that linked to the red outta ring?

Yes and yes. The watch is always tracking two kinds of calories: active calories, which is what you burn thriiibohysical activity, and total calories which is that plus what you burn just by existing. The red ring is your active calorie burn for the day which is linked to exercises as well

pbsapeer

Banned

mrkgoo

Does anyone else use Reminders on their apple Watch? I find it fantastic, but every now and again, I get a duplicate "Reminders" list added to my watch. Except it's not really a duplicate, as it has nothing in it. it's hard to get rid of too, requiring several reboots to get ti to resend and make it go away (and then it comes back at some point after a reboot).

It doesn't show up on any of my other reminders apps, and does not exist in iCloud.

I gather it's something the watch is doing with the way it syncs...like maybe it does an initial sync and can't see anything so adds a default placeholder, then it catches up and add s the rest, while leaving the place holder.

I dunno. It's annoying though.

mrkgoo

I mean, I like it. But I will be replacing it with this soon:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/timeporter

Literally laughed out loud at this product, trying to do way too much

I would say it's doing too much too, but that's because I have no need for a travel case at this stage. Fine if you do, I guess.

I have the official dock and I love it. I did get it as a gift though. I think the cost is pretty high for what it is, even though it's probably one of the best of its kind. I like how it came with a 2m lightning cable, which I detached and used as my main phone charger (so now I get extra reach with my netflix in bed!).

I would say it's doing too much too, but that's because I have no need for a travel case at this stage. Fine if you do, I guess.

I have the official dock and I love it. I did get it as a gift though. I think the cost is pretty high for what it is, even though it's probably one of the best of its kind. I like how it came with a 2m lightning cable, which I detached and used as my main phone charger (so now I get extra reach with my netflix in bed!).

I don't travel a lot, but I'll definitely use it to house the small assortment of bands I have. Right now they're just loose all over my nightstand

got a space gray S1 about a week ago and i must say, after a week of using it, i absolutely love it! still trying to figure out which apps are good for it and am now looking into bands to get for Christmas, it's all very exciting

Ianan

I am a few days into my Series 2 42mm and I'm still loving it.
The battery life is insane! I fully charged mine 2 nights ago, tonight it's still at 35%, amazing.
I didn't think I needed or wanted this watch, but now I've got it, I love it and will definitely be keeping it.

JDeluis

Has anyone ordered a Nylon band from Amazon? Specifically 3rd party bands? I love the look of the Nylon band, but there is no chance I am giving Apple $50 for it.

I was searching around on Amazon and came across this one, which looks pretty spot on.

Apple Watch Woven Nylon Band, Biaoge Durable Nylon Wrist Strap Replacement Band With Classic Buckle for Apple Watch Series 1 Series 2 (42mm Black)

71Dqi8sMSlL._SL1000_.jpg

Most of the 3rd party nylon bands have bad or mixed reviews. I went ahead and just purchased the apple version.

Also Toms (shoe maker) released watch bands this week. They're the same price as the Apple Nylon bands. $49.

http://www.toms.com/toms-for-apple-watch

jts

...hate me...
The Music complication with Time Travel is great. Instantly scrolling through the play history (and they not show up matched to the time they were played, but merely listed in order).

Just saying.

Just got my Series 1 this morning.

Not sure what to feel. It's not what I expected.

1) Siri has no voice. I can't even have it read messages back while driving to make sure it heard my dictation correctly. Half the reason I bought the watch was for hands-free, eyes-on-the-road Siri, and it seems that's just not possible right now.

2) Why on earth can I not change the calendar that an event is on using my watch? It would literally be just another menu option to change the color of the event. Such limited functionality in places you need more, and too much functionality in places you don't (the animated emoji is nightmarish).

3) I don't get the "Don't Send" option when sending messages. What option do I click to make sure it goes through? It just has the message with no option to confirm sending it.

How is a 3.0 iteration of an OS so half-baked? I'd be appalled if I'd actually splurged for the Series 2.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, for number 3 the confirm action is do to nothing. If you hit the crown to "exit" out it will send. If you do nothing it we'll send. Don't send is a last chance cancellation.

Number one is just kinda the way it is. The watch speaker isn't loud enough to hear while driving without straining you senses.

Number 2 might be solved by Siri? Just say "add this even to that calandar at this time"? Maybe?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The animated emoji has the raise the roof emote. FYI.

Well, for number 3 the confirm action is do to nothing. If you hit the crown to "exit" out it will send. If you do nothing it we'll send. Don't send is a last chance cancellation.

Number one is just kinda the way it is. The watch speaker isn't loud enough to hear while driving without straining you senses.

Number 2 might be solved by Siri? Just say "add this even to that calandar at this time"? Maybe?
I mean after the event has already happened. I like to label certain events using the colors, which are tied to specific statuses.

Hopefully one of these third-party calendar companion apps has the option.

Lots of little annoyances like this get quickly overshadowed when I open Vine on my freaking wrist, though. Pretty awesome :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried force pressing? Not sure if it'd work because I use fantastical, but when in doubt forced press.

Quonny

Just got a notification that if I go on a walk on Thanksgiving I get a special achievement. That's pretty cool. Will probably try and get it with my wife.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's two laps around my neighborhood. These little challenges are fun. Wish they'd do like weekly/monthly ones that award a sticker or achievement. Just some little game stuff to push people like my family.
Yeah it was a pleasant little surprise. I'd like it if it happened more often.

Any hands on experience with the brown leather buckle strap? Thinking of taking the plunge with an aluminum Sport and grabbing the brown leather strap as an accessory.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Any hands on experience with the brown leather buckle strap? Thinking of taking the plunge with an aluminum Sport and grabbing the brown leather strap as an accessory.

The classic buckle? I have it, its very nice. The new one has stitching, which mine does not have. I think it would look great with the silver aluminum. It looks great with my steel watch.

I still use the brown modern buckle as my daily strap though. The clasp is just too damn convenient.

The classic buckle? I have it, its very nice. The new one has stitching, which mine does not have. I think it would look great with the silver aluminum. It looks great with my steel watch.

I still use the brown modern buckle as my daily strap though. The clasp is just too damn convenient.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Came down with a cold yesterday and still managed to squeeze in my move goal. But today I feel like utter ass. Now to see how low I can come in. I will probably barely crack 100 calories.
There goes my streak. Oh, well. Happy thanksgiving.

Top Bottom