• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

jts

...hate me...
There's this issue with my Apple Watch though:

First of all I get Siri activated all the time with simple wrist bends. It happened especially when I switched my Watch to my right wrist after I developed a skin irritation on my left wrist due to knock-off Sport bands. I'll post about that some other time.

And maybe because I invoke Siri all the time it bugs the Digital Crown once in a while, like once a week or every other week. What happens is that the Digital Crown button stops being responsive, it just doesn't do anything. But for the software the button is actually activated and stuck. But it's definitely not physically stuck.

It has a fix that works 100% of the time: I press the Side Button. Because the Digital Crown is also in a pressed state, it will take a screenshot. And after that the Digital Crown is "released" and starts functioning again as expected. And I get one screenshot to delete later.

mrkgoo

First of all I get Siri activated all the time with simple wrist bends. It happened especially when I switched my Watch to my right wrist after I developed a skin irritation on my left wrist due to knock-off Sport bands. I'll post about that some other time.

And maybe because I invoke Siri all the time it bugs the Digital Crown once in a while, like once a week or every other week. What happens is that the Digital Crown button stops being responsive, it just doesn't do anything. But for the software the button is actually activated and stuck. But it's definitely not physically stuck.

It has a fix that works 100% of the time: I press the Side Button. Because the Digital Crown is also in a pressed state, it will take a screenshot. And after that the Digital Crown is "released" and starts functioning again as expected. And I get one screenshot to delete later.
So weird. I would've initially thought that it was a physical thing. But en you press the side button and after the screenshot it behaves normally. Weird. Which series do you have?

I have a zero and never had that issue.

jts

...hate me...
So weird. I would've initially thought that it was a physical thing. But en you press the side button and after the screenshot it behaves normally. Weird. Which series do you have?

I have a zero and never had that issue.

I have a Series 0 as well, Sports 42mm silver.

It’s exactly as you described. It doesn’t happen too often though and I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue at will. It just happens.

Definitely feels software related, not sure if I can DFU the thing and install watchOS fresh though.

Quonny

I have 100% the same issues and discovered the exact same solution, lawl.

Moreche

I live in the UK and Apple normally do a 0% finance offer in December but it hasn't happened yet.
Has the idea been scrapped?

Ianan

So I woke up this morning and noticed a small crack in the glass of my Apple Watch! No idea how this has happened, I've had it less than a month and I'm extremely careful with my tech.

What can I do about this? I bought from currys and don't have apple care. My friend said I can stoll buy apple care for it as it's still new, then take it into a store for repairs?

I'm seriously livid over it, no idea how this could of happened :/.
I'm in the UK btw, it's a series 2 so I imagine this crack would affect the water proof a bit, kind of defeating the point of it as I like to swim with it

So I woke up this morning and noticed a small crack in the glass of my Apple Watch! No idea how this has happened, I've had it less than a month and I'm extremely careful with my tech.

What can I do about this? I bought from currys and don't have apple care. My friend said I can stoll buy apple care for it as it's still new, then take it into a store for repairs?

I'm seriously livid over it, no idea how this could of happened :/.
I'm in the UK btw, it's a series 2 so I imagine this crack would affect the water proof a bit, kind of defeating the point of it as I like to swim with it

Is there an actual point of impact or just a single hairline crack? Can you get some good pictures for me?

Ianan

Is there an actual point of impact or just a single hairline crack? Can you get some good pictures for me?

It's a single hairline crack running down the side of the watch face. There's a scuff near it but I'm positive that's from accidentally brushing up against a wall whilst jogging.

I'll try get some pics of it soon.

It's a single hairline crack running down the side of the watch face. There's a scuff near it but I'm positive that's from accidentally brushing up against a wall whilst jogging.

I'll try get some pics of it soon.

Thanks. I'm asking because a single hairline crack without a point of impact is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If there's a spot where it clearly got hit the it is not

You can also try calling in to AppleCare and seeing about buying AppleCare+ over the phone, so they can't see the crack. If it's anything like the phones they'll run a diagnostic just to make sure everything internally is all cool

Ianan

Thanks. I'm asking because a single hairline crack without a point of impact is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If there's a spot where it clearly got hit the it is not

You can also try calling in to AppleCare and seeing about buying AppleCare+ over the phone, so they can't see the crack. If it's anything like the phones they'll run a diagnostic just to make sure everything internally is all cool

I went ahead and purchased AppleCare over the phone just to be safe!
I'll take it in this week sometime to have it looked at, definitely doesn't seem right having a single hairline crack running around the edge of the glass with no sign of impact.

Thanks for the help dude!

I went ahead and purchased AppleCare over the phone just to be safe!
I'll take it in this week sometime to have it looked at, definitely doesn't seem right having a single hairline crack running around the edge of the glass with no sign of impact.

Thanks for the help dude!

Had the exact same thing happen to mine. Took me a while to notice, it was so thin I actually thought it was just one of my arm hairs resting on the watch face. I bought Apple Care without an issue, and when I took it in they said that type of repair was covered under warranty, so the repair/swap was free.

Shearie

Updated my iPhone and Apple Watch and when I went to put on my watch I saw a weird dialog screen for a split second and then my watch stated unpairing. My first attempt at pairing it back just failed and the second attempt is going even worse.

What a hassle.

Edit: Seems to be syncing now but for whatever reason why my watch decided to unpair as I was putting it on, this is wasting over an hour of my time.

Edit2: Everything back to normal. Thankfully the only thing that was wasted was time.

Shearie

Something interesting I just found out about the update. I noticed that the lock button that was in the Notification Center isn't there anymore. I looked at the Apple Watch manual online and it says that you'll only be able to manually lock your watch now if you have Wrist Detection turned off.

Saya

I just got an Apple Watch Series 2 two weeks ago. This is my first time updating the watch. It's been on this screen for over 15 minutes:

2Af15X4.jpg

How long does this usually take? Do you think it froze?

pbsapeer

Banned
I just got an Apple Watch Series 2 two weeks ago. This is my first time updating the watch. It's been on this screen for over 15 minutes:

How long does this usually take? Do you think it froze?
The last update I got tooo about 40minutes IIRC. takes a very long time hah

mrkgoo

Oh I see... Maybe I will wait a bit longer.

Edit: Ok, so now my phone cant seem to connect to the watch anymore for some reason. Getting worried.

Give it time.

MY series zero watch took about 20 minutes to download, another 10 minutes to prepare, verifying probably took another 10 minutes, then it did the circular "installing", which probably took another 40 minutes.

After that, it USED to then reboot before connecting again and do once more around.

It takes forever.

Saya

Give it time.

MY series zero watch took about 20 minutes to download, another 10 minutes to prepare, verifying probably took another 10 minutes, then it did the circular "installing", which probably took another 40 minutes.

After that, it USED to then reboot before connecting again and do once more around.

It takes forever.

It's been almost 1,5 hours now. Still on the same screen. In the meantime I read a lot of reports on watches being bricked after this update... very worried now. I'll still leave it as it is for a while longer.

mrkgoo

It's been almost 1,5 hours now. Still on the same screen. In the meantime I read a lot of reports on watches being bricked after this update... very worried now. I'll still leave it as it is for a while longer.

1.5 hours is pretty damn long.

Not sure how long my update was in total. I usually like to keep an eye on progress, but watch updates take forever.

SO when you say it's hanging...is it on the completed circle? Because my update always had some indication that something was happening not just sit on a completed circle.

Saya

1.5 hours is pretty damn long.

Not sure how long my update was in total. I usually like to keep an eye on progress, but watch updates take forever.

SO when you say it's hanging...is it on the completed circle? Because my update always had some indication that something was happening not just sit on a completed circle.

Yep, the update and installing went fine. It is now indeed stuck on the 100% completed circle. I don't see any activity and my phone can't see the watch anymore either. I think I'll wait an hour longer and if not then I'll try a hard reset or something.

mrkgoo

Yep, the update and installing went fine. It is now indeed stuck on the 100% completed circle. I don't see any activity and my phone can't see the watch anymore either. I think I'll wait an hour longer and if not then I'll try a hard reset or something.

Yeah, sitting on that for over 2 hours is not normal, I don't think.

mrkgoo

Tried to reset the watch and its bricked. Great. Not even two weeks old.

That's crappy. I haven't looked into it, but is it possible to restore the watch to factory conditions and restore from a backup?

I'm not sure if a backup is routinely made, however. I know it backs up when you unpair it.

How did you reset it?

What was the iPhone saying during all this time? Was it saying it was installed, and you just had to wait, or was it saying it was still doing something?

Tried to reset the watch and its bricked. Great. Not even two weeks old.

That's crappy. I haven't looked into it, but is it possible to restore the watch to factory conditions and restore from a backup?

I'm not sure if a backup is routinely made, however. I know it backs up when you unpair it.

How did you reset it?

What was the iPhone saying during all this time? Was it saying it was installed, and you just had to wait, or was it saying it was still doing something?

Only way to reset the watch from that is to mail it in to Apple. I'm not joking. Stores can't do it either, has to be mailed

Saya

How did you reset it?

I spoke with Apple Support and they said I should only try to reset it by holding the crown and other button for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appeared. I did that and afterwards I still got the red exclamation mark sign.

Yeah, at first my iPhone was saying "installing" but at the end my phone suddenly lost the bluetooth connection to the watch, which was strange since it has been right next to it all the time. After that I could not check the status anymore. This was at the 100% update progress circle.

I explained my situation and Apple Support will send me a box and I have to return my watch to them. They said I should get it repaired in 7 days. So, we'll see. It sucks because the watch is so fantastic during runs and tracking my health. I'll definitely miss it for a few days.

I can see how shipping a cable in the box (or even just an adapter) to access this port would be deemed unnecessary by Apple and it's understandable that a standardised port couldn't have fit but locking the user out of any recovery methods, and having the official method be subject to a week wait, is pretty bad imo.

mrkgoo

Only way to reset the watch from that is to mail it in to Apple. I'm not joking. Stores can't do it either, has to be mailed

I spoke with Apple Support and they said I should only try to reset it by holding the crown and other button for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appeared. I did that and afterwards I still got the red exclamation mark sign.

Yeah, at first my iPhone was saying "installing" but at the end my phone suddenly lost the bluetooth connection to the watch, which was strange since it has been right next to it all the time. After that I could not check the status anymore. This was at the 100% update progress circle.

I explained my situation and Apple Support will send me a box and I have to return my watch to them. They said I should get it repaired in 7 days. So, we'll see. It sucks because the watch is so fantastic during runs and tracking my health. I'll definitely miss it for a few days.

I can see how shipping a cable in the box (or even just an adapter) to access this port would be deemed unnecessary by Apple and it's understandable that a standardised port couldn't have fit but locking the user out of any recovery methods, and having the official method be subject to a week wait, is pretty bad imo.

Yeah there is a news story about this update "bricking" some watches, mostly series 2.

And yeah it sucks there's no user way to restore. I guess it is a tough problem because the port is proprietary and probably even needs a proprietary tool to even open, and you may damage the water resistance doIng so improperly.

Not to mention they may have made it possible to put something in recovery mode but it would be hard to flash a device to put a new copy of the operating system on it without a physical connection.

Saya

There are reports that Apple pulled the update? What a mess. I'm just amazed how this passed the quality control and beta testing. Considering the amount of users affected it seems like a pretty big issue for such a relatively small update. The fact that you can't just go to an Apple Store to get it fixed or replaced makes it even worse. What if you're out of warranty and an update renders your device unusable? You have to pay for it out of your own pocket?

There are reports that Apple pulled the update? What a mess. I'm just amazed how this passed the quality control and beta testing. Considering the amount of users affected it seems like a pretty big issue for such a relatively small update. The fact that you can't just go to an Apple Store to get it fixed or replaced makes it even worse. What if you're out of warranty and an update renders your device unusable? You have to pay for it out of your own pocket?

Nah, it's covered regardless of warranty status because it's considered software support

jts

...hate me...
Dunno if Apple pulled the update or not, but I've been trying to install it for the past 30 minutes and verification always fails because apparently I'm not "connected to the internet".

Seems like there's a good chance it got pulled.

Glad I didn't rush into it, prefer to not update it than to risk bricking it.

mrkgoo

Dunno if Apple pulled the update or not, but I've been trying to install it for the past 30 minutes and verification always fails because apparently I'm not "connected to the internet".

Seems like there's a good chance it got pulled.

Glad I didn't rush into it, prefer to not update it than to risk bricking it.

Macrumors is reporting that it has been pulled.

I wish there were a user way to do a restore but I guess with no user accessible ports it's a tough one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hate the requirement to update needing my phone to be near my watch and the watch to be on a charger. My charging stand is at one end of the house and the watch can't get wifi when it's charging, and my phone Bluetooth won't reach. So I just have to leave my phone in that room for ages while it installs

A simple >50% battery on the watch should be enough

Saya

Well, my UPS box came today to return my Apple Watch. Immediately send it back, luckily the driver was nearby. Hope I can get my watch back this week before more workouts.

j-wood

I hate the requirement to update needing my phone to be near my watch and the watch to be on a charger. My charging stand is at one end of the house and the watch can't get wifi when it's charging, and my phone Bluetooth won't reach. So I just have to leave my phone in that room for ages while it installs

A simple >50% battery on the watch should be enough

Not with how long the update takes, which I don't understand. Mine took like an hour. It's absurd.

Forgot that I left the "Other" workout running on my watch earlier. I look down and it looks like I have been doing something for 90 minutes, even if it has been about an hours since last activity. Guess my stats for today are padded, included a new move record, lol. Oops.

mrkgoo

Forgot that I left the "Other" workout running on my watch earlier. I look down and it looks like I have been doing something for 90 minutes, even if it has been about an hours since last activity. Guess my stats for today are padded, included a new move record, lol. Oops.

CAn't you choose not to save it when you end it? or at least delete the entry?

My watch was also bricked by the update. Funny (tragic) about it is my mate texted me about the reports on the update just a couple hours later. Talk about bad timing ( I usually don't rush to update, but I just had a 1 hour down time and thought why the hell not do it now).

It's on its way to Apple now. And my activity streak is done. :(

My watch was also bricked by the update. Funny (tragic) about it is my mate texted me about the reports on the update just a couple hours later. Talk about bad timing ( I usually don't rush to update, but I just had a 1 hour down time and thought why the hell not do it now).

It's on its way to Apple now. And my activity streak is done. :(

I'm gonna write a feature request to Apple:

Allow pausing of activity streak in iOS Activty App in the event your software breaks our Watches

:(

Saya

December 16, 2016 : Our technicians inspected your product. We are returning it to you along with a letter that provides more information.

I saw this message on the repair status page of my watch. No mention if it has been fixed or not. Should I be worried?

jts

...hate me...
I saw this message on the repair status page of my watch. No mention if it has been fixed or not. Should I be worried?
That’s pretty poor wording, but googling it quickly returns results where people got that same message and when they got their Watch back the software had been rolled back and thus their Watch was un-bricked.

You’re safe I’m sure.

That’s pretty poor wording, but googling it quickly returns results where people got that same message and when they got their Watch back the software had been rolled back and thus their Watch was un-bricked.

You’re safe I’m sure.

I think it's worded that way because to the repair center there is nothing "wrong" with the Watch since hardware wise it's totally fine, so the letter might say that nothing was wrong. However they always, to my knowledge, do a restore on the watches anyway which in the case of the red exclamation mark is what fixes them

Saya

You’re safe I’m sure.

I think it's worded that way because to the repair center there is nothing "wrong" with the Watch since hardware wise it's totally fine, so the letter might say that nothing was wrong. However they always, to my knowledge, do a restore on the watches anyway which in the case of the red exclamation mark is what fixes them

I hope so. They already send my watch back, so I'll find out tomorrow hopefully. I really miss my activity tracking haha.

MedIC86

Hey all, i just got a series 1 watch. Now i have a question i hope someone can help me with.

Before i had an apple watch when i got a notification on my phone the screen would turn on and i would see the notification just like normal.

Now i was wondering if the same is possible on the apple watch, whenever i wear the watch and get a notification the watch vibrates but the screen does not turn on. Only when i tap the watch or move to activate the wrist thing i see the screen go on. I also want the screen to turn on when i wear it without moving my arm or tapping the screen.

Hey all, i just got a series 1 watch. Now i have a question i hope someone can help me with.

Before i had an apple watch when i got a notification on my phone the screen would turn on and i would see the notification just like normal.

Now i was wondering if the same is possible on the apple watch, whenever i wear the watch and get a notification the watch vibrates but the screen does not turn on. Only when i tap the watch or move to activate the wrist thing i see the screen go on. I also want the screen to turn on when i wear it without moving my arm or tapping the screen.

Unfortunately not. When the watch is active (as in you're wearing it) all notifications go there instead of lighting up your phone

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204791

Saya

My Apple Watch came back today. Hooray. It's working again. The instructions from Apple were to: 1. Set up the Watch as new. 2. Erase all date. 3. Restore from a backup. Just did that. It came back with WatchOS 3.1.

Top Bottom