• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

sikkinixx

I think I might snag one from Target, $230USD for a series 1 comes out to $307 cdn, so $100 less than they sell for here in Canada. I somehow doubt we will see them lop that much off here.

I'm on the fence about the aluminum or the black aluminum.

I think I might snag one from Target, $230USD for a series 1 comes out to $307 cdn, so $100 less than they sell for here in Canada. I somehow doubt we will see them lop that much off here.

I'm on the fence about the aluminum or the black aluminum.
The Space Gray looks awesome. Don't look back.

Just got a Series 2. If I go for a run and want GPS tracking (and it to also track to my goals), which is the best run tracking app? Is there a built-in one I should use?

To be clear, Activity app on the phone, not the Watch
Found it, thanks! That's pretty much all I want out of an activity watch and this does a lot more so I'm super happy with it. I definitely scoffed a bit at Apple Watch owners in the past but after getting this as a gift I'm really impressed. Definitely a luxury item and not something I "needed" but I'm glad to have it.

Wish they had the podcast app on there so I could listen to podcasts when I go for a run and not have to take my phone with me. Even Overcast doesn't work offline.

The watch stores music locally, yes, but no other media. No podcasts (unless you add them to your music library specifically) and none from third party apps

Does anyone know Apple's reasoning behind this? Or they just didn't think many people would want offline podcasts on their watch?

Bumhead

Banned
How important is GPS to the fitness applications?

Will a Series 1 still track all the same stuff as the Series 2, in terms of calorie burn, heart rate etc? Or will you still need to take a phone with you for the Series 1.

jts

...hate me...
Crossposting from the Mac thread.

Anyone else's Mac unlocks with Apple Watch WHILE the lid is closed? I get the notification on my Watch and head over open up the lid and check and yeah the lockscreen is bypassed, my user account is just on. Only happens sometimes. Tad annoying.

Does anyone know Apple's reasoning behind this? Or they just didn't think many people would want offline podcasts on their watch?
They probably just threw the music storage as a bone for sports-practicing people who would want to set their phone aside during running/gym, etc, and didn’t count that people would want to listen to podcasts in those use-cases.

How important is GPS to the fitness applications?

Will a Series 1 still track all the same stuff as the Series 2, in terms of calorie burn, heart rate etc? Or will you still need to take a phone with you for the Series 1.
With Series 1 or 0 (sans iPhone) the Watch will estimate distance based on accelerometer, running history and whatnot. It will still give a calorie burn estimation, and there’s no difference regarding heartrate since the HR sensor ir built into every Apple Watch series. Distance on Apple Watch series 1 (and 0) will be more accurate with iPhone though. Basically, distance/speed accuracy and actual path tracking are the benefits from built-in GPS. Everything else is the same.

Neoxon

I'm considering asking for an Apple Watch Series 2 for Christmas. Should I bother trying to ask for the stainless steel version, or would the aluminum one suffice?

I'm considering asking for an Apple Watch Series 2 for Christmas. Should I bother trying to ask for the stainless steel version, or would the aluminum one suffice?

That's totally a personal question. I always go with the stainless steel myself because I prefer the look (can't stand the aluminum). But for a lot of people they either prefer the aluminum (my girlfriend) or don't find the bump to steel worth the added expense

If you get a chance pop by an Apple Store and try them all on, and swap out the bands for combinations you'd consider. That's the best way to do it

Neoxon

That's totally a personal question. I always go with the stainless steel myself because I prefer the look (can't stand the aluminum). But for a lot of people they either prefer the aluminum (my girlfriend) or don't find the bump to steel worth the added expense

If you get a chance pop by an Apple Store and try them all on, and swap out the bands for combinations you'd consider. That's the best way to do it
In my case, I would use it more as an actual watch than a fitness tracker (though I may use it for fitness on occasion). Also, would the Series 2 be a good time to jump in, or should I wait it out?

Aiii

So not worth it
Is it me or is the stand mechanism completely off since the last update? It either doesn't register me standing at all, or (and this happens way more often) detects random movements as standing. Granted, I move my arm a lot due to being a programmer and typing and moving the mouse (I wear my watch on my right hand, because I'm left handed), but still, it's not exactly standing up and moving about.

It was way better before that.

It's either the update (which means more people should have noticed this), or the fact that I paired it with the iPhone 7 when I got that in October and I need to re-pair it sometime.

I just bought my brother a SS, he wanted the aluminum but when he the saw SS and realized that aluminum only looks good with the sports band, he was happy with the SS

Bumhead

Banned
With Series 1 or 0 (sans iPhone) the Watch will estimate distance based on accelerometer, running history and whatnot. It will still give a calorie burn estimation, and there’s no difference regarding heartrate since the HR sensor ir built into every Apple Watch series. Distance on Apple Watch series 1 (and 0) will be more accurate with iPhone though. Basically, distance/speed accuracy and actual path tracking are the benefits from built-in GPS. Everything else is the same.

Superb, thank you.

Ordered my other half a Series 1. She's never been swimming in the entire time we've been together and isn't a serious runner. She takes the occasional run but never leaves the house without her phone. Seems like the two biggest differentiators between the S1 and S2 would be a little pointless for her. I'm sure she will love the Series 1.

In my case, I would use it more as an actual watch than a fitness tracker (though I may use it for fitness on occasion). Also, would the Series 2 be a good time to jump in, or should I wait it out?

If you want it to look like an actual watch definitely go stainless steel, either normal or space black

Shearie

If you got the money, definitely go stainless.

Doodis

From what I understand, the Apple activity tracker is constantly working in the background throughout the day, yes? So, if you use another app to track a run (like Nike+ or RunKeeper or whatever), does the Apple activity tracker still track during that time? Just curious.

mrkgoo

From what I understand, the Apple activity tracker is constantly working in the background throughout the day, yes? So, if you use another app to track a run (like Nike+ or RunKeeper or whatever), does the Apple activity tracker still track during that time? Just curious.

Not sure about third party but he hull in Apple workout app will add the workout statistics to your daily goals so I assume yes.

Bumhead

Banned
Got myself a Series 1.

Bought the other half one for her birthday, but I've just been to New York for the weekend and tech envy got the better of me.

Love it so far. Quite a strange product in that its best features subtlety come to you throughout use rather than actively "playing" with. All feels a bit odd right now but in a good way. Looking forward to seeing how my use for it develops over the coming days and weeks.. especially being back in the office tomorrow.

My only issue at the momen is trying to settle on a face I want to stick with!

Got myself a Series 1.

Bought the other half one for her birthday, but I've just been to New York for the weekend and tech envy got the better of me.

Love it so far. Quite a strange product in that its best features subtlety come to you throughout use rather than actively "playing" with. All feels a bit odd right now but in a good way. Looking forward to seeing how my use for it develops over the coming days and weeks.. especially being back in the office tomorrow.

My only issue at the momen is trying to settle on a face I want to stick with!

Don't just pick one face, flip between them! I have a home face, a driving face, a work face, a sleeping face, a workout face, and a """fancy""" minimalist face. They all get used!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I use simple, with 4 complications and the most amount of detail it allows.

mrkgoo

Don't just pick one face, flip between them! I have a home face, a driving face, a work face, a sleeping face, a workout face, and a """fancy""" minimalist face. They all get used!

Funny, I have multiple watch faces set up (used to have one for each type, but then they eat introducing types, lol).

I think it is now setup to flip through watch faces more easily, implying you do it more on the fly.

I have a few watch faces setup, but use mostly simple. Then flip to mickey mouse just so I can hear him talk.

Bumhead

Banned
I've settled on Utility, with the date in the middle and both weather functions in the top left and right corners.

Looks nice and minimalist with good readability. I toyed around with having the Activity and Messages complications but I figure both of those come to me as and when they need to rather than being something I need to glance at.

Still early days though, no doubt I'll add some more faces and carrying on experimenting with what I find useful. Really enjoyed having it on today though now I'm back at work. I feel like it's already made a notable difference to how regularly I check my phone.

j-wood

So I can't seem to get the step counter correct on my Series 1, and i'm starting to worry if mine is defective or not.

When I run on a treadmill indoors, the watch is consistently a good .2 miles off. The watch will tell me I have run 1 mile, and the treadmill shows that I have only been 0.8 miles.

I did the calibration thing where I ran outside with my phone in one hand already. When I run on the treadmill I just set my phone down in the water holder. Is that the problem? I don't understand why it's so off.

Quonny

The step counter is really finicky and weird.

Sometimes it takes like 3 hours to update steps, sometimes it waits until I hit a certain amount to update, sometimes it doesn't update at all. But steps are a weird metric that really doesn't mean a lot.

My wife was obsessed with steps until I explained to her that using steps to measure activity is really backwards. Now we just look at the Move number (which does have its own problems) and use that.

So I can't seem to get the step counter correct on my Series 1, and i'm starting to worry if mine is defective or not.

When I run on a treadmill indoors, the watch is consistently a good .2 miles off. The watch will tell me I have run 1 mile, and the treadmill shows that I have only been 0.8 miles.

I did the calibration thing where I ran outside with my phone in one hand already. When I run on the treadmill I just set my phone down in the water holder. Is that the problem? I don't understand why it's so off.

So is mine when I run on the treadmill. I just attribute it to being hard to estimate distance when you're not actually moving

mrkgoo

Hey how many here still have the Gen 0? Any desire to upgrade or is watchOS3 enough?

I have gen 0. Watch OS 3 is enough for me. I'd like the new one but it's not really that high priority for me. The watch has changed a lot with the new OS. It has a newly refocused purpose. Gone is the idea it's a social communicator as a primary function (as evidenced by the dedication of an entire button to connect to others).

It took a little getting used to not swiping up to get to my glances, and using a button to access actual running apps, but it does sort of speed the process up.

I still find apps to be painfully slow in some instances though.

Top Bottom