• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

pbsapeer

Banned
So I ended up returning my Series 2 watch.

I didn't realize every time you open the "Print Shipping Label" it generates a different number on the label.

What I originally opened on my desktop and saved is not the same as what I opened on my laptop (Clicking the Apple Store link provided from the return Email) to print.

Is the Watch just out in the open and im unable to find what shipping label was previously generated? I guess Apple will receive indication on their end when they get the tracking number on one of the generated tickets in their system, but I have no access to that.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas on how to proceed?

I've only returned a beats pill for repair, but I'm sure it was linked to my Apple ID and I could log into the return/repair page

Ristlager

Anyone else noticing a tremendous increase in battery life after the 3.1 update? I usually have about 50% battery life after 8 hour use, now it sits at 91%! It's the first day after the upgrade, so not exactly quality tested yet... I am on the Series 1.

Lucius86

Banned
Anyone else noticing a tremendous increase in battery life after the 3.1 update? I usually have about 50% battery life after 8 hour use, now it sits at 91%! It's the first day after the upgrade, so not exactly quality tested yet... I am on the Series 1.

Erm.....yes? I just checked mine, 7 hours use and at 92%. Series 2 here. As you say, could well be the battery hasn't fully been calibrated yet...

Quick edit as I am here: What are everyone's favourite fitness apps for things like outdoor running, the gym and golf that have Watch integration? I hate trying out every app under the sun before settling on one for long term usage.

Right now I'm trying Runkeeper for outdoor running, the Apple watch own fitness apps for gym work (i.e. rowing, indoor cycling and the 'other' fitness option) and use Hole 19 for golf.

Ristlager

After another 8 hours its down to 72%, god damn this was just what the clock needed.

As for activity apps i only use Golfshot GPS for golf, costs money, 19.99 per year, to get score and distance on the watch. But well worth it, I stopped using the iphone for GPS earlier this year and went with a laser instead, but having a quick peak at the watch to get the distance is great. Tried other apps for golf, but I have over 200 rounds on the Golfshot, and I like the statistics it gives me.

pbsapeer

Banned
Thanks for the info about a new update. Never would have known otherwise. Holy shit takes a while to update the Watch but never mind. Excited to see how the battery life is tomorrow. I normally have about 50-60% after a day of notifications, a 5km run and some touching of the screen. Hoping it'll be like 70-80% with what's been said so I can charge every other day!

I'm about to hit the sack and my S2 is at 84%. This includes a track run of about 1 hour paired to my phone. My GF who was reporting battery issues with her S1 told me she has 72% left (she is using smaller 38mm) Wow Apple must have rushed out WatchOS3 really unoptimized for battery. My Apple Watch would last almost 5 days at this rate!

Lucius86

Banned
Finished last night at 72%, which included a full day's use and 50mins in the gym. Going to see how long it can last without a charge now - I can't believe a software update would provide this much of a jump in battery life.

jts

...hate me...
I'm about to hit the sack and my S2 is at 84%. This includes a track run of about 1 hour paired to my phone. My GF who was reporting battery issues with her S1 told me she has 72% left (she is using smaller 38mm) Wow Apple must have rushed out WatchOS3 really unoptimized for battery. My Apple Watch would last almost 5 days at this rate!
Initial releases are often rushed in one way or another because there's a very strict deadline to fulfill. Updates are better in that sense because they are usually released when they're ready.

That being said I have never, ever, had battery issues with my Apple Watch, but 84% by sleep time is wild O_O

Aiii

So not worth it
Down 18% after 5 hours, including an hour of outdoor walking workout time on my Series 0.

-edit, and 7% since then over 3 hours. So if you don't do any workouts, you're looking at almost 43,5 hours of battery life if you only do time and notifications. Give me my always-on display now please, Apple.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just checking my watch to see the time, and see a notification about trusting a computer and how it'll share/see my data. What's all that about? My work computer is a macbook air but AFAIK we're still all on El Capitan. Is there something new in the watch os update?

jts

...hate me...
just checking my watch to see the time, and see a notification about trusting a computer and how it'll share/see my data. What's all that about? My work computer is a macbook air but AFAIK we're still all on El Capitan. Is there something new in the watch os update?
Sounds like the notification iPhones get when they are plugged into computers/computer-like devices (like even consoles) and that notification got pushed to the Watch.

Had you just plugged your phone somewhere?

My watch s2 order finally changed to "preparing delivery" (ordered Oct 3rd).
Any idea how long it will take from here? Never ordered new hardware directly from Apple before.
Estimated ship date is Nov 1st - 7th.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds like the notification iPhones get when they are plugged into computers/computer-like devices (like even consoles) and that notification got pushed to the Watch.

Had you just plugged your phone somewhere?

Nope. But it naturally appears in my work laptop when I open safari etc or via airdrop. Think I've only ever connected it for charging and that was ages ago (not this week)

jts

...hate me...
Nope. But it naturally appears in my work laptop when I open safari etc or via airdrop. Think I've only ever connected it for charging and that was ages ago (not this week)

Hah, strange. Sounds like an unexpected bug with your particular combination of OS versions and devices. Have all of mine updated to the latest (iPhone, Watch, Mac), no issues of that sort. Unless maybe you have to confirm at least one that your phone can trust your computer?

Ever since I updated my Series 0 to 3.0, it's become unstable. Some of the fun things I've seen:
- the watch face has frozen halfway off the screen
- all buttons have become unresponsive
- display wouldn't turn on
- half of the clock elements were missing

Has anyone been having severe bugs like this happening? I can't tell if the hardware is dying or if 3.x is just a mess. I never had these kinds of issues on 1.x or 2.x.

TUSR

Banned
Apple received my defective Series 2 Watch, waiting on that turn around for a new one.

The guy on the phone said they would send it out once they had confirmation that it was on its way, but the tracking hasn't updated on their site.

I just want my watch, 24 hours with my first one and I already miss it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ever since I updated my Series 0 to 3.0, it's become unstable. Some of the fun things I've seen:
- the watch face has frozen halfway off the screen
- all buttons have become unresponsive
- display wouldn't turn on
- half of the clock elements were missing

Has anyone been having severe bugs like this happening? I can't tell if the hardware is dying or if 3.x is just a mess. I never had these kinds of issues on 1.x or 2.x.
Yeah I've been seeing some of this bullshit. Have yet to reformat though. I've been meaning to take mine in since I got it due to its wek ass vibration.

Idk maybe I'll have time someday.

pbsapeer

Banned
Apple received my defective Series 2 Watch, waiting on that turn around for a new one.

The guy on the phone said they would send it out once they had confirmation that it was on its way, but the tracking hasn't updated on their site.

I just want my watch, 24 hours with my first one and I already miss it.
I feel for you. Seen your posts about waiting for ages and then it's arrived and broken :( hoping it'll be worth the wait for you man

pbsapeer

Banned
Hmm. Has anyone noticed that the speaker is a little quieter when using the "blow out the water" feature since the update?
Mine seemed really quiet earlier

Hmm. Has anyone noticed that the speaker is a little quieter when using the "blow out the water" feature since the update?
Mine seemed really quiet earlier

Seems more or less the same to me at the moment. I've noticed my battery life seems to have improved (71% at the moment after 13 hours of use whereas generally it's down to 50/60 by now) but I'm unsure if I've just used it less today.

Have ordered my nike+ watch and will arrive on Saturday. Anyone else getting one of these?

So I had been tempted. Nike updated their Nike Run Club app for iOS and Watch yesterday, and finally chose to support phone-free GPS running on the Watch Series 2. So, just got back from a run with the new app, sans phone.

Terrible.

You know what metrics you get while you're running with the watch app? Time, and distance. That's it. No pace, no heart rate, nothing. You can PAUSE the workout and see pace, etc - but not with a glance. The Apple workouts app shows it ALL. I'm very disappointed. Maybe I missed something but it seems kinda crazy.

SuperPac

My S2 has decided it doesn't want to tell me when I have iMessages anymore. It'll work for a short time after a reboot or after I've toggled iMessages to mirror/custom, but then stop. I restored my watch from a backup. Next stop may be... Genius bar. :\

So I did a bunch of air travel last week. I thought I'd update you all with how it went.

First off, the TSA and the Watch really didn't go all that well. All of their stands had the scanner fixed to the ground, so to get the Watch to work as a boarding pass, I had to twist my arm/wrist around, or I could try and rotate the watch on my wrist so that I was wearing it under my wrist, but in twisting it I disconnected it from my body so I had to reenter my pin. Honestly, it's easier just to use the phone. Then, when going through the metal detector in the pre-check lines, I would still set things off so I would have to remove it anyway; one employee told me to remove it before I even tried to go through the metal detectors.

At the gate, things went fine since their scanners are top-down, so I didn't have to twist my wrist. But, since the target was so small for the QR code on the wrist, it still felt like it took longer than just using the phone.

On the plus side, I use the free version of App in the Air, and the watch complication is kind of neat. However, even after arriving at the airport, it didn't switch to tell me what my gate was only until 15 minutes before boarding time. That's way too late for me, and I wish I could just have it ignore telling me what the terminal is and just the gate (since knowing what Terminal to go to at an airport is really easy to figure out).

So, mixed bag on the Watch when traveling. Being able to have your destination timezone on the watch face was handy with layovers so I knew how quickly I had to get to a new gate or whatever.

Any other questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

My S2 has decided it doesn't want to tell me when I have iMessages anymore. It'll work for a short time after a reboot or after I've toggled iMessages to mirror/custom, but then stop. I restored my watch from a backup. Next stop may be... Genius bar. :

Just iMessages? No other notifications?

Two Words

What the hell. After a full day of use, my watch is at 85% after the update. I am honestly think this is a bug instead of actually getting 3x better battery life.

pbsapeer

Banned
So I had been tempted. Nike updated their Nike Run Club app for iOS and Watch yesterday, and finally chose to support phone-free GPS running on the Watch Series 2. So, just got back from a run with the new app, sans phone.

Terrible.

You know what metrics you get while you're running with the watch app? Time, and distance. That's it. No pace, no heart rate, nothing. You can PAUSE the workout and see pace, etc - but not with a glance. The Apple workouts app shows it ALL. I'm very disappointed. Maybe I missed something but it seems kinda crazy.
Only have the Nike app installed as a secondary way to see my data. It's supposed to read data from Apple health app, however it doesn't read my runs and doesn't display the data for it.
So looks like I'm stuck using the stock workout app. Which is fine be me!

What the hell. After a full day of use, my watch is at 85% after the update. I am honestly think this is a bug instead of actually getting 3x better battery life.
There must be some background process that has been altered to hugely improve the battery life. It might help to narrow down what everyone is in; are you noticing it on a Series 1 or 2?

EDIT: Also for anyone interested in the W1 chip and how it works with the watch, I have a pair of Solo 3 Wireless and it's incredibly seamless in conjunction with the Watch and iPhone. It's really the biggest convenience of the watch combined with the fitness tracking. While certainly not an essential device, I'm really finding it increasing convenient and something that would be annoying to live without. Also the Milanese loop is beautiful. Just wish Apple Pay was in Ireland as I'd imagine it really enhances the utility of it.

Aiii

So not worth it

I'm down 1% after 2,5 hours, normally I walk to work (30 minutes), but today I drove so it didn't have much activity tracking to do.

I'm on Series 0, and someone mentioned above that his time wasn't returning, I've also seen my clock come back a few seconds after turning on the screen once. I'm pretty sure they've started turning off some features when the screen is off that were running in the background before, like the clock. I guess with the new processor in the S1 and S2, it won't be noticeable that these processes need to start back up when the screen turns on, and only S0 users will sometimes see this. That's my working theory anyways.

Lucius86

Banned
Just an update, I let my watch drain to 0% since the update. It took 2 and a bit days. This included wearing the watch at night and also 2 x 1 hour gym sessions. Beforehand I was getting to around 35% after a single full day.

Battery life improvements confirmed.

SuperPac

Just iMessages? No other notifications?

Yep, just iMessage. I get calendar alerts, VIP email alerts, weather. Just - no iMessage. The settings on notifications are correct, but no messages are coming up as notifications on the Watch. And, perhaps worse, my phone isn't vibrating with them either.

Yep, just iMessage. I get calendar alerts, VIP email alerts, weather. Just - no iMessage. The settings on notifications are correct, but no messages are coming up as notifications on the Watch. And, perhaps worse, my phone isn't vibrating with them either.

If your watch isn't connected to your phone, do you get iMessage alerts on your phone?

TUSR

Banned
I feel for you. Seen your posts about waiting for ages and then it's arrived and broken :( hoping it'll be worth the wait for you man

Apple forgot to fill out the replacement unit form, was on hold for 40 minutes today to get them to fill it out. New unit should be here next week.

This has been some frustrating shit.

pbsapeer

Banned
Apple forgot to fill out the replacement unit form, was on hold for 40 minutes today to get them to fill it out. New unit should be here next week.

This has been some frustrating shit.
Holy shit man :(
Just keep telling yourself it'll be worth the wait

hirokazu

Seems odd. Maybe disconnect and reconnect the Watch. Otherwise maybe speak to apple
I had a Genius Bar appointment for it booked for this morning. In the time in between, I tested doing full charge and discharge cycles on it and haven't had the problem occur in the three charges since, so it seems the readings are accurate now.

Fingers crossed. I cancelled the Genius Bar appointment for now. One thing I'm worried about with servicing the Apple Watch is how the water resistance will be affected from opening it up. I don't want it to fail later after warranty is up due to it having been opened for service. Not that I need to do it for now, but I'd be curious to know.

Series 2, with my previous battery woes seemingly sorted and 3.1 installed, this does seem to be the case so far. I'm on 1 day 9 hours with 42% remaining. Will see how it continues to perform, but I like this if it continues to hold up.

For what it's worth, the 3.1 release notes mentioned fixing an issue that prevented the battery from fully charging.

jts

...hate me...
It would be interesting if someone with those high battery percentages after a day, took one for the team and kept using the Watch without charging it until it runs out (or more accurately, goes into power reserve).

TUSR

Banned
Holy shit man :(
Just keep telling yourself it'll be worth the wait

i just wanted to get a fucking watch

Is there anywhere I can let Apple know how unacceptable this process has been? DoA Series 2 and they forget to fill out the paper work to send me a replacement. Unacceptable.

holy shit

Is there anywhere I can let Apple know how unacceptable this process has been? DoA Series 2 and they forget to fill out the paper work to send me a replacement. Unacceptable.

holy shit

Have you been doing this all over the phone or through a retail location?

pbsapeer

Banned

holy shit
Yeah it does strike me as very un-Apple like. I'd complain about it. It has been a very poor show.

Unopened Nike sitting on the dining room table. Mine was delivered last night but we were able to walk into an Austin Apple Store and buy my wife one. She likes hers but I am having second thoughts. Can you edit the metrics that watch shows as you run, pace,distance,and time etc? And not going to ask the wife.

Unopened Nike sitting on the dining room table. Mine was delivered last night but we were able to walk into an Austin Apple Store and buy my wife one. She likes hers but I am having second thoughts. Can you edit the metrics that watch shows as you run, pace,distance,and time etc? And not going to ask the wife.

You can choose between basic and advanced. Basic shows distance and time only. Advanced shows HR, pace, distance, and time.

Doodis

What?? I was planning on picking up the Nike version for Christmas, but there's seriously no option to see pace during a run? That's pretty much unacceptable. No reason to get the Nike version if its app doesn't even show basic running metrics.

You can choose between basic and advanced. Basic shows distance and time only. Advanced shows HR, pace, distance, and time.
Is this for the Nike app or the Apple app? Now I'm confused...

pbsapeer

Banned
What?? I was planning on picking up the Nike version for Christmas, but there's seriously no option to see pace during a run? That's pretty much unacceptable. No reason to get the Nike version if its app doesn't even show basic running metrics.

Is this for the Nike app or the Apple app? Now I'm confused...
Only for the apple app as far as I'm aware...
The Nike app is pretty useless from what I've seen and used.

Top Bottom