• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

bionic77

My watch s2 order finally changed to "preparing delivery" (ordered Oct 3rd).
Any idea how long it will take from here? Never ordered new hardware directly from Apple before.
Estimated ship date is Nov 1st - 7th.
Took about a week for me to get mine after the preparing for delivery popped up. I think I got it on a Thursday or Friday and it did not change to shipping until the following Monday. Watch arrived 4 days later.

Really digging my new S2. I can see how it is not for everyone but I love it. Going to start checking out apps.

Doodis

Only for the apple app as far as I'm aware...
The Nike app is pretty useless from what I've seen and used.
Wow, I don't understand how this even happened. How could the special Nike version not have the basic info you can get from the Apple app? So disappointing.

pbsapeer

Banned
Wow, I don't understand how this even happened. How could the special Nike version not have the basic info you can get from the Apple app? So disappointing.
Yeah I originally preordered the Nike Watch but just got the regular s2. Downloaded the Nike plus app but just use the stock Apple one now. The apple app is pretty decent though.

What?? I was planning on picking up the Nike version for Christmas, but there's seriously no option to see pace during a run? That's pretty much unacceptable. No reason to get the Nike version if its app doesn't even show basic running metrics.

Is this for the Nike app or the Apple app? Now I'm confused...

Should've edited my original post.

So turns out the Nike app has an "advanced" mode that does show those metrics. Still not as good as it could be though :(

dc3k

Bought an S1 the other day. Battery life is way better than I expected. Standby time at 20hr 44min with 2 hours of that being usage, and it's at 65%

No regrets ditching my Pebble TIme.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bought an S1 the other day. Battery life is way better than I expected. Standby time at 20hr 44min with 2 hours of that being usage, and it's at 65%

No regrets ditching my Pebble TIme.
They pretty much doubled it since last week, so that is why.

hirokazu

What?? I was planning on picking up the Nike version for Christmas, but there's seriously no option to see pace during a run? That's pretty much unacceptable. No reason to get the Nike version if its app doesn't even show basic running metrics.
Yeah, I saw that in a video of some guy demoing the Nike+ version in an Apple Store. They can probably update the Run Club app based on user feedback. On the plus side, the Run Club app can supposedly read Apple workouts now so I guess that's the way to go for now.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Testing the limits of a single charge on a 42mm series 2, early part of day three without a recharge. Currently at 55%.

pbsapeer

Banned
Yeah, I saw that in a video of some guy demoing the Nike+ version in an Apple Store. They can probably update the Run Club app based on user feedback. On the plus side, the Run Club app can supposedly read Apple workouts now so I guess that's the way to go for now.
It's supposed to. But mine refuses. It worked for 4 runs when I first got the Watch and app but since about 30th September is doesn't read my data from Apple health.

Doodis

Should've edited my original post.

So turns out the Nike app has an "advanced" mode that does show those metrics. Still not as good as it could be though :(

So do you have to press a bunch of buttons to get into the advanced mode, or is it something you can set to be "always on" during your run?

So do you have to press a bunch of buttons to get into the advanced mode, or is it something you can set to be "always on" during your run?

It can be always on. You scroll down on the Start screen and it's a toggle. I used it for my 10k on Saturday but I felt like the pace tracking was off. Seemed more accurate at a glance using the regular workouts app.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh, my watch's progress bar is stuck at about 25% through the update and just blinking. o_O

I hope its ok.

Yay, I got my S2 yesterday. It's great so far!
Obviously I don't have much of a comparison to the S0 or even watchOS 1-3.0 since this is my first Apple Watch but I'm really impressed by battery life.

One thing that bugs me doesn't have so much to do with the device itself but with the Watch app.... the store doesn't seem that expansive and it's hard to find the really good app choices.
Of course I've been browsing the store for weeks while waiting x) but the curated lists don't seem to be updated that often? Or is it just that there are so few good apps available?

(Anyway, recommend me some, I need to put the thing through its paces ;))

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There just aren't a lot of great apps. Dark Sky is a good weather replacement, I also am happy with Fantastical's Watch support.

My favorite App, Pinner for the Pinboard bookmark service lost its watch app with the move to OS3. :[

Overcast is ok when it works. But that isn't all the time. Soundcloud was quite decent but I haven't used it in a few months. It basically just allowed you to heart tracks you liked.

Its been a little while since I really perused the available apps for the watch. They're just not that meaningful.

hirokazu

It can be always on. You scroll down on the Start screen and it's a toggle. I used it for my 10k on Saturday but I felt like the pace tracking was off. Seemed more accurate at a glance using the regular workouts app.
I had a Nike+ Sports Watch before and the pace during the run was always off from the average pace at the end of the run.

One thing that bugs me doesn't have so much to do with the device itself but with the Watch app.... the store doesn't seem that expansive and it's hard to find the really good app choices.
Of course I've been browsing the store for weeks while waiting x) but the curated lists don't seem to be updated that often? Or is it just that there are so few good apps available?

Yeah, my major gripe right now is the quality of third party apps. It's so hit and miss right now, and it's impossible to tell which have never been updated since watchOS 1.0.

You get a whole gamut of apps from those that take forever to load, those that are so dumbed down you just end up opening the iPhone app, those that work but take a long time to display what you needed, to those that straight up don't work.

The complication scene is really hit and miss too, it's not clear what third party complications have live info as opposed to just a static icon. So the only complications I really use are the built-in stuff like date and weather.

Future

Yay, I got my S2 yesterday. It's great so far!
Obviously I don't have much of a comparison to the S0 or even watchOS 1-3.0 since this is my first Apple Watch but I'm really impressed by battery life.

(Anyway, recommend me some, I need to put the thing through its paces ;))

General note synching between phone and app
------
Drafts
Onenote

Weather
-------
Dark sky

Calendar/tasks
-----
Fantastical
2Do

Shopping list
----
Anylist

Excercise
------
Gymaholic - Tracks weightlifting sets and activities

TUSR

Banned
UZmdBmN.png

Going to phone tomorrow, if it doesn't ship before then im going nuclear.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Yeah, I figured there weren't that many great apps, but I'll look into some. Too bad, I hope the situation improves.

I'm going to go on my first run with the watch later today but I'll be bringing my phone for podcast listening.
The Nike Run Club app seems way too limited, considering there's a special Nike+ watch... I can't even choose to go on a run on my training plan on the watch? Or am I missing something?

I found a Series 2 at Best Buy today, so I bought it. I've wanted one of these for a long time, but something hit me when I started using it...what am I actually supposed to use this for? I mean I understand the functions of it entirely, but I just think I might return it.

So, my questions is, what do daily users use this for? I'm curious.

I found a Series 2 at Best Buy today, so I bought it. I've wanted one of these for a long time, but something hit me when I started using it...what am I actually supposed to use this for? I mean I understand the functions of it entirely, but I just think I might return it.

So, my questions is, what do daily users use this for? I'm curious.

I'm a runner so the daily fitness aspect of it is the main draw to me. Other than that I just like getting notifications on wrist, instantly seeing the weather and the music controls.

99% of the third party apps are complete shit

TUSR

Banned
Update on my DoA saga: Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.

Scheduled Delivery Date:
Information unavailable

Okay. I don't even want the watch anymore at this point, honestly might just return it.

The whole returning a DoA product and having them forget to fill out the paper work to send a new unit for a week really has put me off. I ordered the watch on Sept 20th and still don't have a working one yet.

I've been a huge Apple supporter for the better part of a decade now, and the way everything was handled with Apple Care and returns felt so un-Apple like.

Edit: I'm just going to call Apple Care/Store tomorrow and get them to cancel it. I don't really care anymore about it at this point.

I've asked this on Macrumours forum but thought I'd put the question out here too..

I just got a Series 2 today, and have been setting it up (my first AW). On the Health app on my iPhone, the units are in lbs for my weight. However, on the Health app on the Watch, they are in KG, with no way - that I can see - of changing it. I am actually a little surprised it hasn't used the same units of measurement I set on my phone.

Anyone know how to change the units on the Watch?

Thanks!

pbsapeer

Banned

Okay. I don't even want the watch anymore at this point, honestly might just return it.

The whole returning a DoA product and having them forget to fill out the paper work to send a new unit for a week really has put me off. I ordered the watch on Sept 20th and still don't have a working one yet.

I've been a huge Apple supporter for the better part of a decade now, and the way everything was handled with Apple Care and returns felt so un-Apple like.

Edit: I'm just going to call Apple Care/Store tomorrow and get them to cancel it. I don't really care anymore about it at this point.
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully they'll be a deal in the future and you can get one :(

Moreche

I bought an AW2 this week and I've been trying the apps but they appear to be dreadful. But I see there's no reason for devs to even bother as the AW extensions aren't purchased as IAPs.
With the small install base it's no wonder they're this bad, I think I'm going to return it.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've asked this on Macrumours forum but thought I'd put the question out here too..

I just got a Series 2 today, and have been setting it up (my first AW). On the Health app on my iPhone, the units are in lbs for my weight. However, on the Health app on the Watch, they are in KG, with no way - that I can see - of changing it. I am actually a little surprised it hasn't used the same units of measurement I set on my phone.

Anyone know how to change the units on the Watch?

Thanks!
did you try force touching?

you're still waiting? yikes. usually apple is very fast with these type of things

Ianan

So I have a basic apple watch on order but won't be here until the end of November. Stock has just arrived in a local store for the Nike branded version though, I might cancel my standard series 2 and get the Nike edition.

Is there a big difference between them? Is it just cosmetic? Branding?
I seen mention about the tracking/fitness app being worst than the standard apple one. Is this a problem though? Can I not just download the fitness app that comes with the standard series 1/2?

So I have a basic apple watch on order but won't be here until the end of November. Stock has just arrived in a local store for the Nike branded version though, I might cancel my standard series 2 and get the Nike edition.

Is there a big difference between them? Is it just cosmetic? Branding?
I seen mention about the tracking/fitness app being worst than the standard apple one. Is this a problem though? Can I not just download the fitness app that comes with the standard series 1/2?

Series 2 has GPS and a brighter screen

Ianan

Sorry, maybe my post was poorly written.
I'm just asking, is there any difference between the Series 2 and the Nike Edition?
They have access to all the same apps/data?
I only ask due to seeing people cancel their Nike versions due to the pacing metrics not being available on the Nike version?

I'm just asking, is there any difference between the Series 2 and the Nike Edition?
I only ask due to seeing people cancel their Nike versions due to the pacing metrics not being available on the Nike version?

I see what you're saying. There is no different besides the extra app, you can just use the apple app if you want instead, that's what I use everyday when I run

It's a Series 2 with an exclusive Nike band, pre-installed Nike app and exclusive watch face.

finalflame

HnpTOje.jpg

HXlXRTp.jpg

kovruyd.jpg

I've really, really wanted the ceramic Edition since it was announced, but was on the fence for the longest time. Checked the Apple Store stock near me and there was 1 in stock, only store that had it within 500 miles. Decided fuck it, it's a sign, and glad I did. This thing is stunning.

I bought an AW2 this week and I've been trying the apps but they appear to be dreadful. But I see there's no reason for devs to even bother as the AW extensions aren't purchased as IAPs.
With the small install base it's no wonder they're this bad, I think I'm going to return it.

The third-party apps are shit yes, all of them, but... what would you want the Watch to actually do that the stock apps can't do?

I've been running around since early this morning and just looked at my Series 0 battery – 89%. 89%! It's unbelievable. I don't know what they did in 3.1, but it's some damn magic.

http://i.imgur.com/HnpTOje.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HXlXRTp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kovruyd.jpg[IMG]

I've really, really wanted the ceramic Edition since it was announced, but was on the fence for the longest time. Checked the Apple Store stock near me and there was 1 in stock, only store that had it within 500 miles. Decided fuck it, it's a sign, and glad I did. This thing is stunning.[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous. If they had made black ceramic I would have been all over it

mrkgoo

HnpTOje.jpg

HXlXRTp.jpg

kovruyd.jpg

I've really, really wanted the ceramic Edition since it was announced, but was on the fence for the longest time. Checked the Apple Store stock near me and there was 1 in stock, only store that had it within 500 miles. Decided fuck it, it's a sign, and glad I did. This thing is stunning.

I think it looks amazing in white.

White iPhone pls.

I think it looks amazing in white.

It really does. I'm curious how it'd look with the Stainless Steel band.

I don't think ceramic on the iPhone is feasible. The finish is hand-polished, and someone did the calculations and found that it would require some ridiculous amount of workers to meet the scale of the iPhone. Unless they make it an iPhone Edition with really limited quantities.

Moreche

The third-party apps are shit yes, all of them, but... what would you want the Watch to actually do that the stock apps can't do?
Is there nothing Apple could do to reward devs to update the watch apps?
Maybe introduce it as an IAP?
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple release a sports bands or maybe try to transform the next Apple Watch into something similar to a sports band.
I lov d the Microsoft Band 2 but some of its tech was embedded into the Band making it less flexible and unable to change bands.

Top Bottom