• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Is there a way to mute a Whatsapp chat through the Apple Watch?
Such a shame that some of my most used apps don't have a native app. The Telegram one looks pretty good, but I can hardly ever use it as most of my contacts use Whatsapp.

By that you mean turn off notifications?

FerranMG

By that you mean turn off notifications?

No, I mean to mute notifications for a single chat/group.
In the iPhone app, you can do that.
I was wondering if it's possible to do that through the watch, as it would be terribly convenient when a group starts spamming and my wrist starts vibrating non-stop. :p

Chorazin

No, I mean to mute notifications for a single chat/group.
In the iPhone app, you can do that.
I was wondering if it's possible to do that through the watch, as it would be terribly convenient when a group starts spamming and my wrist starts vibrating non-stop. :p

No, no app for the Watch means you won't be able to do that. They need to make a Watch app for that level of control.

FerranMG

No, no app for the Watch means you won't be able to do that. They need to make a Watch app for that level of control.

I thought so. :(

Another question I have: I used to track my steps using first the Fitbit app and my iPhone, and then using a Withings watch and their app.
I know the Apple Watch tracks steps as well, but the Activity app seems to put more emphasis in calories than steps. Is there a way to change this?
I want my goal for the day to be 10000 steps.
How many calories is that?

Red

Another question I have: I used to track my steps using first the Fitbit app and my iPhone, and then using a Withings watch and their app.
I know the Apple Watch tracks steps as well, but the Activity app seems to put more emphasis in calories than steps. Is there a way to change this?
The amount of calories burned while walking depends on factors like your height and weight. You can find calculators online. Google "walk calorie calculator" and you should see plenty of results.

Chorazin

Activities shows your steps, just scroll down a little in the Watch app. :)

FerranMG

The amount of calories burned while walking depends on factors like your height and weight. You can find calculators online. Google "walk calorie calculator" and you should see plenty of results.

Thanks!

Activities shows your steps, just scroll down a little in the Watch app. :)

Yeah, but my point is that I'd rather have the step count in the red/magenta circle, instead of calories.

To my fellow small wrist people, what size did you choose for your watch? Thinking about getting a Series 1 but still kind of undecided on whether or not to get a 38 or 42.

Don't live near an Apple Store so I can't try them on.

I have extremely small wrists so it might not be applicable to you, but I also wasn't able to try either before purchasing, and after a lot time deciding between the two (the 38mm as I thought it might be a better fit, and look better on my wrist, the 42mm for the better battery life and larger screen) I went with the 38mm and I'm very glad I did.

The 38mm just barely fits on my wrist (see the pictures below; the Milanese Loop has to be put less than 0.5cm before the other side of it connects to the Watch in order for it to be tight on my wrist) and I think any larger would have not only made it uncomfortable, but it wouldn't have fit tightly on my wrist and would look comical on me. I haven't encountered any issues with pressing buttons on the screen, but my fingers are quite narrow/slender, and the battery life is almost exactly two days without a charge (with the latest WatchOS) if you don't enable a workout, or maybe a day and a half if you have a workout on for two hours, so while additional battery life would be nice it is certainly not a limiting factor for me personally.

(Pictures for reference: yes that is the 38mm version)
wzF0LHe.jpg

RNZ0LDb.jpg

VB9sXA5.jpg

In saying all that, I think if I did have bigger wrists, and I wasn't worried about whether the 42mm version would fit (which turned out to be a valid fear since the 38mm one barely fit me), I probably would have went for that one, but if you're concerned about whether the 42mm version will fit you, and/or have very small wrists, the 38mm is a solid choice that you won't regret as the size is very nice.

What I would definitely agree with is the comment that if you are unsure, you do have the 14 day return window to try it out, see if the size you want is okay for you, and if not return it for the other size. If you currently wear a watch, maybe take some measurements of the diameter watch face just to get some comparison of the length to see what you would be comfortable with.

mf.luder

I'm tempted to grab an S1 watch used but the grey markets up here in Canada falsely advertise the S0 as S1. The people just don't know.

Moreche

Received my series 2 38mm SS space black and I'm loving this little device.
It's really quick and I really like the hardware design. Feels like a solid device, I don't understand the hate it gets.

pbsapeer

Banned
Really appreciate the response The One Who Knocks. Looking at your pictures it definitely seems like the 38mm would be the right choice for me.
I'll post some pictures of my 42mm later, just to help make the decision easier 😏

Some pics I took from earlier in the thread. Mainly showing off the cheap Milanese loop band.

I stopped paying attention to my activity last night for the last few hours and missed my move goal by 9 calories. Way to ruin the perfect month on the last day. Idiot

Chittagong

Gold Member
Happy 2017, Apple Watch gaf! Let us hope this year is the year the watch becomes cellular and independent.

My resolution is to try and learn to love my Series 2 watch. To that end, I treated myself to a Hermes band. It's fantastic, really elevates the watch.

1eShpF6.jpg

Chorazin

I freaking love how switching bands is so easy, now I rotate between the Milanese loop for work, nylon for weekends and the Nike+ Sport for the gym. All knockoffs of course!

Plus this is the damn best smartwatch/activity tracker I've owned. I don't get the hate either, this thing is fast, slick, and has all the features I need. When I was on android I had the LG Urbane 2nd Edition LTE and it was a monstrous beast and wasn't anywhere near this nice.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah that band is pretty cool, gonna wait for the knock-offs though :p

Also, I really can’t imagine the Apple Watch going celular anytime soon.

jts

...hate me...
Where do you buy your knockoffs? eBay?

Even Amazon has knock-off Apple Watch bands I reckon. I have bought some sports ones from ebay yes, not too impressed with their quality but it's ok.

But I'm thinking that even other decent brands, that are cheaper (like Spigen) can put out their own version of this armband, now that the idea is out.

--------
For what end would you guys want a celular Apple Watch, phone functionality or just data?

Apple is the iPhone company, they will not release a not-iPhone phone that is cumbersome and poor in functionality (for a phone), and doesn't entirely benefit from the app store, nor it adds much value to it.

For just data, assuming people won't do away with smartphones anytime soon, the phone-less situations (where not even bluetooth tethering is enough) are incredibly niche. Maybe running is not so niche, but then again, armbands exist.

I just don't think it would currently justify development, for something with that level of technical challenges. Celular chips and radios are power hungry, and the Apple Watch is small. Increased opportunities for active Watch use would also impact the battery immensely.

Maybe when celular technologies evolve a good bit more (low power usage, shared ID, fully virtual SIM). By then everything could have their own celular connection for data, hell maybe even some iteration of the AirPods one day. Ask again in 10 years.

Shearie

j-wood

Fuck. I just scuffed the top of my series one on my brick fireplace. You can't really see the scuff on the glass, but I can feel it with my fingernail if I run it across.

Should I worry about the scuff further degrading or anything? Or stuff gettting inside the watch?

mrkgoo

Fuck. I just scuffed the top of my series one on my brick fireplace. You can't really see the scuff on the glass, but I can feel it with my fingernail if I run it across.

Should I worry about the scuff further degrading or anything? Or stuff gettting inside the watch?

If it's just on the glass I wouldn't worry about it. You got your first battlescar! Wear it with pride!

Doodis

Screen protector for the Apple Watch—yay or nay? I mean, I have always had one on my iPhone and have seen a few for sale on Amazon. I keep dinging my new watch on stuff here and there and am worried about it getting scratched.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Should get the 2017 this week, missed it last week because I had Monday off work and got lazy AF. :/

Same boat, I started work on Tuesday so thought Monday was Sunday and failed! Redoubling my efforts this week. Weekdays are fine as I bike to and from work, it's the weekends where I need to squeeze some exercise in.

Anion

Just got my S2 Stainless Steel black after having sold my S0 aluminum for $280 a week after S2 reveal. Used an amazing Apple Employee discount to get the watch for $300 and the band for $60. About ~$400 in savings...

Red

Are there any third party health apps that will track active minutes from the Apple Watch? My Apple Watch says I have 108 active minutes for the day. Jawbone UP shows 15. Fitbit shows 0. Both have Health data access. I get quarterly cash back from work for getting a certain amount of active minutes, so I'd like to get this working. They have no support for the Health app directly. The supported list of apps:

Bewell Connect
CareTRx
Fitbit
Fitbug
Garmin Connect
iHealth
Jawbone UP
Lumo
Microsoft Health
Misfit Wearables
Movable
Moves
Sony Lifelong
VitaDock
Withings

Does anyone know if one of these apps can pull active minutes directly from Health?

Are there any third party health apps that will track active minutes from the Apple Watch? My Apple Watch says I have 108 active minutes for the day. Jawbone UP shows 15. Fitbit shows 0. Both have Health data access. I get quarterly cash back from work for getting a certain amount of active minutes, so I'd like to get this working. They have no support for the Health app directly. The supported list of apps:

Bewell Connect
CareTRx
Fitbit
Fitbug
Garmin Connect
iHealth
Jawbone UP
Lumo
Microsoft Health
Misfit Wearables
Movable
Moves
Sony Lifelong
VitaDock
Withings

Does anyone know if one of these apps can pull active minutes directly from Health?

Active minutes? What category is that in the Health app? I have and use Withings so I can check on that one for you

Chorazin

Just got the Spigen Rugged Armor case for my Watch, it's actually really nice! I mainly got it for the gym, but I might just keep it on all the time.

Thezez

Banned
Recently picked up a first gen Space Black with Link Bracelet, and while it's super sexy, the color just isn't for me. Keeping the regular stainless steel for now.

If anyone is after a space black, I'm selling mine in the BST thread.

pbsapeer

Banned
My health insurance with work have recently sorted an Apple Watch 2 offer. You basically put down a £69 deposit and sign up to a 2 year finance deal. It's then £12.50 per month for the Watch but if you get 40 points a week (I think that's about 5 exercises of 30 mins or more) in a month then you don't pay anything for that month. Pretty good way of getting an Apple Watch for £69 if you keep up the fitness!

Shame I already have one haha :(

mrkgoo

My health insurance with work have recently sorted an Apple Watch 2 offer. You basically put down a £69 deposit and sign up to a 2 year finance deal. It's then £12.50 per month for the Watch but if you get 40 points a week (I think that's about 5 exercises of 30 mins or more) in a month then you don't pay anything for that month. Pretty good way of getting an Apple Watch for £69 if you keep up the fitness!

Shame I already have one haha :(

That's a pretty cool idea. But how can you stop people from cheating?

pbsapeer

Banned
That's a pretty cool idea. But how can you stop people from cheating?
Well I think the 30 minutes is based off an elevated heart rate of 70% of your max for your age. So I guess you'd have to rig the heart rate monitor on the Apple Watch? But obtaining steps gives you the points, you just need 12.5k. I know there is a moves app that they promote and people at work just rig it all the time!

Hutchie

Somehow scratched my nike + watch yesterday at the top of the screen, not looking forward to the repair costa as i dont have apple care. Apple couldnt even tell me on the phone how much its likely to cost. Willing to pay as long as its sub £80

Somehow scratched my nike + watch yesterday at the top of the screen, not looking forward to the repair costa as i dont have apple care. Apple couldnt even tell me on the phone how much its likely to cost. Willing to pay as long as its sub £80

Spoiler: it's totally not

AppleCare can't give you guarantees on prices over the phone*. This website (which you should have been redirected towards) will detail your pricing options: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/watch/repair/service/pricing

As you don't have AppleCare+, you'll be paying the out-of-warranty service fee for a repair.

EDIT: *I should add that this is in the event that you're electing to bring the phone to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider for a repair (as they'll have final say on the cost of the repair); if you're doing a mail-in repair that obviously doesn't apply.

Top Bottom