• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apples poaching contributed to Mission Motorcycles bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/19/apple...d-to-mission-motorcycles-bankruptcy-says-ceo/

San Francisco-based Mission Motorcycles, a maker of high-end electric motorcycles, recently filed for bankruptcy amid financial troubles. In the filing, current CEO Mark Seeger said the company is so low on cash that it can’t afford to pay for an attorney for the bankruptcy process, but while recently talking with Reuters, former CEO Derek Kaufman dismissed the company’s lack of money and instead blamed Mission’s demise on Apple’s poaching of top engineers…

San Francisco-based Mission Motorcycles, a maker of high-end electric motorcycles, recently filed for bankruptcy amid financial troubles. In the filing, current CEO Mark Seeger said the company is so low on cash that it can’t afford to pay for an attorney for the bankruptcy process, but while recently talking with Reuters, former CEO Derek Kaufman dismissed the company’s lack of money and instead blamed Mission’s demise on Apple’s poaching of top engineers…

Rumors are all but confirmed that Apple has been developing its own electric vehicle under Project Titan and Kaufman wouldn’t be the first person deploring Apple’s hiring efforts for the project. Battery maker A123 Systems filed a lawsuit against Apple earlier this year for poaching five of its engineers and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has often commented on the Cupertino company trying to hire automotive engineers from Tesla.
In the case of Mission, Kaufman said Apple hired two key engineers from his team as the company was trying to close a round of funding. After the engineers left for Apple, the investors backed out and consequently more employees left.

According to Reuters, Apple hired Nancy Sun, Mission’s vice president of electrical engineering, Mark Sherwood, director of power train systems engineering, and Eyal Cohen, vice president of software and electrical engineering.

Kaufman said:

“Mission had a great group of engineers, specifically electric drive expertise. Apple knew that – they wanted it, and they went and got it.”

Following Mission’s financial troubles, other employees joined Tesla and Harley-Davidson, the company had previously worked with the later on their electric motorcycle project: LiveWire.

Before stopping their operations, Mission was working on two motorcycles: Mission RS, a racing bike. and Mission R, a street bike (see picture above). The company had developed its own system of battery pack and charging algorithms. They were advertising a range of 150 miles on a single charge.

Project Titan keeps driving along, claiming victims in its way.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, your fault for not having no-compete clauses in their contracts. The workers had the right to go where they got the best offer.

The race bike they actually raced once was pretty badass though... but there's more to it than Apple poaching here.. they were managed very poorly.

Cromat

Seems fair, Apple has a right to make compelling offers to top talent and they have have a right to accept those offers. And it's not like Apple is developing weapons of mass destruction, they're also making electric vehicles.

Well, your fault for not having no-compete clauses in their contracts. The workers had the right to go where they got the best offer.

The race bike they actually raced once was pretty badass though... but there's more to it than Apple poaching here.. they were managed very poorly.

California outlawed non-compete clauses. So maybe it's their fault for basing the company in California.

Couleurs

In the filing, current CEO Mark Seeger said the company is so low on cash that it can’t afford to pay for an attorney for the bankruptcy process, but while recently talking with Reuters, former CEO Derek Kaufman dismissed the company’s lack of money and instead blamed Mission’s demise on Apple’s poaching of top engineers

Why would the engineers want to leave a company with no money? It just doesn't make sense, it must be Apple's fault

non competes are illegal? fuck that. Great employees are the backbone of a great place to work. If the biggest wallet in town always has the best employees by scavenging from companies we will end up with less innovation.

non competes are illegal? fuck that. Great employees are the backbone of a great place to work. If the biggest wallet in town always has the best employees by scavenging from companies we will end up with less innovation.

Start-ups can compete with larger competitors by offering equity. Further restricting employee rights through non-compete clauses is a terrible idea.

entremet

Nah. Employers need to bring more to the table. That's all. Employers have enough power as is. At least in America.

DOWN

Banned
If they can't even file for bankruptcy, it seems like they have more trouble managing than just in retention.

Oh weird. You learn something new every day. In that case, yeah. It's not your employees fault that they have desirable skills and another company can provide better for them.

Just to be clear, its standard non-competes that are generally not enforceable. You can write a contract so that they are but the employee / contractor has to be compensated for it. For instance, one of my friends is a contractor in medical device sales. As part of his deal if he went to a competitor he couldn't poach clients for I think two years. But as part of that he also gets a retention bonus for those clients staying and would for those two years.

Renekton

Can this guy consider a career in talent management / recruitment?

In a startup, being able to recruit staff that Apple poached so hard, has to be something.

Unless Apple came up with contracts that this company had no way to re-negotiate with their staff with, I see no problem with this.

Hari Seldon

Can this guy consider a career in talent management / recruitment?

In a startup, being able to recruit staff that Apple poached so hard, has to be something.

Yeah we are only hearing one side of the story. Obviously a startup cannot pay Apple money or benefits, but maybe he should have given up more equity. Also, it is one thing to do a startup with fresh computer science majors, but it is quite another to do it with experts on motors who are probably mid to late career.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Didn't know that about California.. then they should have had their most valued employees locked into equity of the company to secure them.

Again, it's their own fault.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No sympathy, the employees got more money, which is how it should work!
I think this is only great for employees in the short term. If small companies get gutted before they have the chance to get big there will be less competition and opportunity in the future.

KHarvey16

Startups are always risky, and most people who like that environment aren't prioritizing long term stability or huge salaries. The idea that a big company can always pay more and kill startups that may prove to be competition one day is not very consistent with reality. If these people left it's unfair to assume it was only due to pay.

I think this is only great for employees in the short term. If small companies get gutted before they have the chance to get big there will be less competition and opportunity in the future.

As opposed to allowing companies to prevent employee's from getting better jobs through non-competes?

Hari Seldon

If small companies want to attract top talent and cannot afford to pay then they need to give up that equity. This owner was probably greedy.

entremet

Startups are always risky, and most people who like that environment aren't prioritizing long term stability or huge salaries. The idea that a big company can always pay more and kill startups that may prove to be competition one day is not very consistent with reality. If these people left it's unfair to assume it was only due to pay.

Not just that but poorer work life balance, so you really need to work on better compensation packages.

If I'm working on weekends and making less money and no equity, why should I stay if I get better money and hours?

fixedpoint

Yeah, signing non-compete contracts is so fun! Corporations are people too, right?

Dougald

Company was apparently founded in 2007 but I've never once seen a story on them in the motorcyle press, despite there being fairly regular stories on other electric bikes from Zero, Harley Davidson, etc.

Sounds like they're just another startup who didn't get anywhere with their product, and their talent left for greener pastures

KHarvey16

Not just that but poorer work life balance, so you really need to work on better compensation packages.

If I'm working on weekends and making less money and no equity, why should I stay if I get better money and hours?

That's definitely part of it, and equity could be a huge factor. In the end I think startups attract people willing to do those things, with less pay and job security, to be part of implementing an idea they support or getting in on the ground floor(and taking advantage of that equity). It may be simply that bigger salaries/benefits lured these people away from that but I think it needs to be considered that the other possibilities are that they had sufficient equity yet saw little or no future there or no longer bought into the vision, etc. If they had too little equity that would also be a problem. Of course management isn't going to concede any of that and so far that's who we've heard from. I'd love to hear what the engineers have to say!

apple_car.jpg

jstripes

Banned
Company was apparently founded in 2007 but I've never once seen a story on them in the motorcyle press, despite there being fairly regular stories on other electric bikes from Zero, Harley Davidson, etc.

Sounds like they're just another startup who didn't get anywhere with their product, and their talent left for greener pastures

This is it.

Another, stable company wants to pay you more and will likely release the product you're working on?

Few things shatter your pride like working hard on something that, beyond your control, never goes anywhere. (I've been there.)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Then why would Apple hire a bunch of failed engineers. If the story is true, and Apple head hunted them then they had to be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom