• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think Google cares, I've had it activated on my main account for a long time. I think they'd rather make more money off me than less ;)

Except they don't make any money on people who manage to get GMusic even though they're not supposed to, because people in unsupported countries can't buy music (even through a proxy, I believe). To sell music is the whole reason the service even exists - Google isn't giving away 20,000 songs worth of cloud storage just to be nice - and why it doesn't yet exist in most of the world, where Google has yet to secure the rights to sell music.

bob page

The official Slickdeals app is now out!

Also, does anyone know how to make comments open by default when loading a new story in Reddit News?

AnkitT

After having tested many free twitter clients out there, I can't find one which displays most of the image services inline. Since I haven't tried any off the paid ones, I was hoping I could get a recommendation from you guys.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
After having tested many free twitter clients out there, I can't find one which displays most of the image services inline. Since I haven't tried any off the paid ones, I was hoping I could get a recommendation from you guys.

Falcon shows a decent slice of the image inline, not the full thing though.

kaskade

The new Twitter is pretty sexy.

Update for Chrome as well which seems to fix scrolling for me. It didn't right away but after a device restart it feels a lot better. Nice day for updates.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If anyone wants some WP8 all up in their Android, Launcher 8 (by the same guy that did Launcher 7) was recently released, and it's pretty sweet. (I know there are other launchers that try to do the same thing, but this one seems to be the best at replicating the WP8 look and feel by far.)

This is the homescreen I'm currently rocking, heh:

iYiQSLEYJDptC.png

(The "Contacts" tile (the one below the phone tile) has contact photos flipping in and out, I just deliberately took the screenshot when it wasn't showing any.)

Not sure that I'll be sticking with this setup for very long, but I love that you can make your Android phone look like pretty much anything.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just bought falcon pro. Dunno why I waited this long to be honest, it has everything I was looking for!

So much better than Carbon. The animations in Carbon are ludicrous, reminds me of the horrible launchers that act like a cube when you are switching home screens.

bob page

For those that use Rom Toolbox, what's the proper way to configure backup schedules? 3 total for downloaded apps, new apps/ new versions, and redo for new data?

Also, is there a way to schedule backups for phone data like contacts & texts?

Been messing around with Kii keyboard again, and have to say it's pretty nice. It's improved a lot since I tried it out a few months ago. I still wish it can do what Swype can and recognize custom letter/number combinations like 3DS, also neither Swiftkey nor Ki has an easy way to capitalize words that aren't unique proper nouns (doing movie titles like Die Hard or city names like Banning). Kii handles apostrophes incredibly well though.

PaulLFC

Been messing around with Kii keyboard again, and have to say it's pretty nice. It's improved a lot since I tried it out a few months ago. I still wish it can do what Swype can and recognise custom letter/number combinations like 3DS, also neither Swiftkey nor Ki has an easy way to capitalize words that aren't unique proper nouns (doing movie titles like Die Hard or city names like Banning). Kii handles apostrophes incredibly well though.
For Swiftkey, don't you just swipe the word in lowercase then hit the shift key once to capitalise the first letter? It does take an extra key press I guess, but I think that worked last time I tried.

TommyT

What are some of the most useful things people use tasker to do?

I asked pretty much the same thing:

From a reddit post:

For sleep:

- After midnight (up till 9am), if my phone is charging, silence all phonecalls and texts except my whitelist contacts.
- Certain people's phone calls and texts will still ring through (family, girlfriend, other emergency contacts)
- Automatically respond to texts saying i'm sleeping, but informing the person they can text me 911 and my phone will ring.
- In the morning, after my alarm, dictate the weather forecast for the location I'm going to be in that day (unless I'm rude). Since during Mon-Thurs I'm commuting to school but typically on the weekend I'm at home this is super nice.

For my car:

- When my phone connects to my car's bluetooth, it asks me if I want to open maps or listen to music and then does it (unless I'm rude).
- If I receive a text, it will read it out loud and ask if I want to respond. I can then dictate my message back and it will ask for confirmation in sending.

At home:

- When I'm in the shower, it will read the time off every 5 minutes.
- Texts will be dictated to me.
- After midnight, if I open certain apps (reddit, browser, xda), set my screen to lowest brightness and using Screen Filter, take it down an addition 50%.

Miscellaneous:

- My camera app (and as a result gallery) will always enable rotation so I can take photos correctly.
- Silence during certain calendar events when I mark my self busy.
- Talk shit to me if I'm rude when tasker talks to me.

Now implementing them, on the other hand.... haha

Also check out http://www.reddit.com/r/tasker

jokkir

For me, I made Tasker, when listening to music (earphones plugged, in pocket, etc), to read a text to me out loud so I don't have to take my phone out of the pocket to read the text. Seems a bit helpful imo. I still need to fix it a bit though

PaulLFC

Did Doodle Jump used to have a pay version that was replaced with this current free + IAP version?

I can't remember exactly, but I think it may have, I seem to remember buying it when I first got my S2 a couple of years ago now.

Searching only returns the current free app though. Would be a bit annoying if it used to be pay and anyone who paid now has to put up with the ad-supported version unless they pay again.

I could be thinking of the iOS app though, maybe Android was a more recent release and always free?

Did Doodle Jump used to have a pay version that was replaced with this current free + IAP version?

I can't remember exactly, but I think it may have, I seem to remember buying it when I first got my S2 a couple of years ago now.

Searching only returns the current free app though. Would be a bit annoying if it used to be pay and anyone who paid now has to put up with the ad-supported version unless they pay again.

I could be thinking of the iOS app though, maybe Android was a more recent release and always free?

it was a paid app.

also, their description for the new free version mentions this:

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
If you bought Doodle Jump Plus version, make sure you have it installed on your phone when you install this new version! That will remove the ads. If you have already uninstalled/deleted the paid Doodle Jump Plus version, you can re-download it from the cloud (My Apps).
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

TommyT

For me, I made Tasker, when listening to music (earphones plugged, in pocket, etc), to read a text to me out loud so I don't have to take my phone out of the pocket to read the text. Seems a bit helpful imo. I still need to fix it a bit though

Yeah, I don't really see much I'd use it for. I'm thinking maybe suppress the GoSMS popup notifications for new messages while I have certain apps open and instead pause the app (media app showing a movie or music) and read the message. I like it's idea a lot though. Like most of the intricate/technical apps, as I probably have realized what I really need from the phone/Android, I don't have use for them yet.

I use tasker for a few things. When at work I turn on wifi, vibrate, login my time recording app.
When my phone is connected to my car bluetooth, I get a notification if I want to listen to music (soundcloud via bluetooth audio) or use a speed trap app (flitsmeister).
I still want a NFC tag in my car so I don't have to manually turn on bluetooth :)

Yes I'm a lazy bastard.

I use tasker for a few things. When at work I turn on wifi, vibrate, login my time recording app.
When my phone is connected to my car bluetooth, I get a notification if I want to listen to music (soundcloud via bluetooth audio) or use a speed trap app (flitsmeister).
I still want a NFC tag in my car so I don't have to manually turn on bluetooth :)

Yes I'm a lazy bastard.

Would you mind posting the profiles for those? It's pretty much exactly what I want to do and I haven't had the "ah-ha" moment with Tasker yet that has made it clear exactly how I should go about it.

Cudder

I like the stock alarm app but I want to use my custom ringtones instead of the stock (and horrible) ones. Can I unify all my ringtones?

I believe you can put your own music/sounds in the Notifications folder when you connect to your computer (or use a File Manager) and they should show up in the list of available alarms.

freshair

Would you mind posting the profiles for those? It's pretty much exactly what I want to do and I haven't had the "ah-ha" moment with Tasker yet that has made it clear exactly how I should go about it.

My work profile is pretty similar:

1. click the + icon and choose state > net > wifi connected
2. set the ssid for my work's wifi. then press the top left tasker icon.
3. it'll kick you back to the home screen with a pop-up and choose 'new task +'. Give it a name (e.g."work")
4. Next screen is for you to set an action for when it's connected to wifi.
5. Press the + and audio category
6. Choose what you want set. One action at a time. Mine is has ringer, notification and media volume set to 0 and vibrate on.

And that should be it! Once you're done press the play icon.

I have a similar profile for when it's connected to my home wifi, but with the addition of turning everyone loud and turning off my pattern unlock. If you want to disable pattern/pin unlock, you need to get SecureSettings in the play store. It's a tasker plugin (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin&hl=en) and will be located in the "plug-ins" category

Kikarian

Is there an app which tells you when a certain series is going to air or when the next episode is?

I had a similar app for my iPhone, but can't remember what it was called.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think Cliffhanger is what you're looking for. Really nice UI.
I'm torn on Cliffhanger's notifications. I'd like to configure it to also alert me 15mins before a show instead of complete slate of everything for the day first trying in the morning. The notifications look gorgeous on Android 4.1+ though. Cliffhanger is one of a growing collection of Android apps that that look better than any iOS equivalent.

For Swiftkey, don't you just swipe the word in lowercase then hit the shift key once to capitalise the first letter? It does take an extra key press I guess, but I think that worked last time I tried.

Sorry, I should have specified that I meant "as easy as Swype's method of capitalization". While that is handy especially for all caps words, I think my brain is just so used to typical keyboard usage, it just doesn't feel right capitalizing a word AFTER you type it. It's lacking a couple things, but I'm already preferring Kii over Swiftkey.

My work profile is pretty similar:

1. click the + icon and choose state > net > wifi connected
2. set the ssid for my work's wifi. then press the top left tasker icon.
3. it'll kick you back to the home screen with a pop-up and choose 'new task +'. Give it a name (e.g."work")
4. Next screen is for you to set an action for when it's connected to wifi.
5. Press the + and audio category
6. Choose what you want set. One action at a time. Mine is has ringer, notification and media volume set to 0 and vibrate on.

And that should be it! Once you're done press the play icon.

I have a similar profile for when it's connected to my home wifi, but with the addition of turning everyone loud and turning off my pattern unlock. If you want to disable pattern/pin unlock, you need to get SecureSettings in the play store. It's a tasker plugin (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin&hl=en) and will be located in the "plug-ins" category

Holy cow man this is perfect, thank you! Did a little more reading and it looks like I can set an exit task too that will set everything back up to normal volume when that ssid is disconnected. Too cool.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If anyone likes minimal style wallpapers. I made this:

gvecrjS5h3_Crg0YsUxIi7_QCoZejt-Az4r00Yn4CTAadL4WHalfyzwdiPNJKmSXqOvc
EuY1nYGXS1L-2aMR42lUyNUDdJjgiz264UxR3AdGz7PET_oNbp1c-pnB7_XCwN2IQ5k

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5sb3ZlY29sb3JzIl0.

BTW, also working on a app to keep screen awake under various conditions. Any suggestions? So far:

Heya, I was the 11th person to grab this app and I really enjoy it! I'm really big into minimalistic looks and this really fits the bill for me. This is the first wallpaper app I've tried and there are tons of simple, striking choices here.

Very cool of you.

ScOULaris

Finally decided to take the plunge and try out Action Launcher. I'm really liking it now that I've set it up to my liking. Covers seemed like a useless feature to me until I started using them, and shutters are just awesome for certain apps. One thing that I think it still desperately needs, however, is the ability to use multiple pages on the dock.

Top Bottom