• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

PriitV

In the play store, can I somehow filter out the category "games"? It's impossible to discover apps with every section filled with games.

Groof

In the play store, can I somehow filter out the category "games"? It's impossible to discover apps with every section filled with games.

I think the only way to do that is by going into a category. Maybe with the next update they'll bring filtering options.

Fry

why do I keep getting errors when trying to register my credit cards

i'm so fucking pissed. i want to buy thaaaaaaaangs

Got my Nexus 4 yesterday. So far, so good. Feels a lot cheaper than my Lumia 920. Guess I really grew fond of the brick feel.

Anyway, the stock android icons are garbage. They are making me cringe.

What's a good UI overhaul that replaces them with something simple and not trash?

Fry

Question:

I bought a game on google play (World of Goo). How does the sharing system works?

Can I send to a friend and that friend will have it for free on his phone?

I've updated clipboard admin with card style layout

0WP-YcCWMsNlhNS8vn1uN98MlVmyoIjULEr7n3O3kFjqm0mqIJXA6ucsEWVr8TIWoGE
dQ5-WqwYgO6jAIlbPMA3vhXSGoEFNP-dAIc_2xzZPGm8trQVh9Y-zOk-17s5LdK9Pg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuY2xpcGJvYXJkYWRtaW4iXQ..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
iOS Chrome just updated with built-in widescreen (it's a really nice implementation, like the kind from the Google Search browser)...so what are the odds that the Android version gets the same update?

Angst

Question:

I bought a game on google play (World of Goo). How does the sharing system works?

Can I send to a friend and that friend will have it for free on his phone?
There's no sharing. You can send him the app link, but he has to pony up the 0.99 too.

vdlow

JayDub

I've only been on the iPad, but I read a lot about how Android's Appstore doesnt compare. No tablet apps or something. I find that hard to believe. Here are my questions:

1. Does tablet-EXLUSIVE apps exists? Made just for the tablet?
2. How's the app selection in comparison to Apple's App Store and to other, regular mobile Play store apps?
3. How are the "tablet" exclusive apps noted on the Play store?
4. Are there "universal" apps that contain both the phone version and the tablet version?

Shambles

I still find it crazy that I can click on a link to the play store in my desktop browser, click on install and it installs on my phone. Technology is beautiful.

Groof

I've only been on the iPad, but I read a lot about how Android's Appstore doesnt compare. No tablet apps or something. I find that hard to believe. Here are my questions:

2. How's the app selection in comparison to Apple's App Store and to other, regular mobile Play store apps?
4. Are there "universal" apps that contain both the phone version and the tablet version?

Usually there are no different apps for phones and tablets, though there are some I believe, most of them are a single app. It's up to the developer to code the app in such a way that it'll change it's layout depending on the device it's being used on. For example the Google Drive app is one and the same on the Play Store, but it looks completely different on phone and tablet.
That's not to say a lot of apps don't do this, however.

Marco1

Just sold my iphone5 and put pre-ordered a galaxyS4.
Looking forward to the move to android, I know it can be painful compared to the simplicity of iOS but iOS and the iphone became to stagnant for me. I just can't justify buying a phone that is smaller and just as powerful as something like the Samsung and Sony offerings.

there is no such thing as a tablet app, all apps have the potential to run on any device at whatever resolution due to the way Android was designed from the ground up to be resolution independent. when you browse the play store on your device, apps show up based on the intent of the app developer. so if a dev excludes devices without a certain feature or excludes certain models or whatever, they just won't show up on your device if you search for it. the vast majority of apps show up for most devices.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
It looks like the title bar in Chrome Beta is no longer static either. It scrolls away whenever you scroll.

Edit: Duh, this is the full screen thing. Sorry.

Zozobra

Hey guys, is there an iTunes-like manager one could use for Android? I'm basically looking for something that will allow me to change properties like album names, genres, etc. on a bunch of mp3s at once, similar to how you can in iTunes. Just need to clean up the folders on my device.

XDDX

Makes sense. I just want to save battery at night. Maybe I'll turn everything off about the phone or something.
There is option in the android settings to schedule power off and on for your phone. Not sure what version it was introduced in but just check in your settings.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So, I haven't really been following the thread for a bit and just stumbled upon Google Keep. And just like that I'm never gonna uses Evernote again.

On the whole Keep is much snappier on my phone, it doesn't require a special account which could be HACKED (hint, hint, Evernote), awesome checklist feature, and I can swipe to delete a note. It's just much easier to use and navigate in my opinion.

So, I haven't really been following the thread for a bit and just stumbled upon Google Keep. And just like that I'm never gonna uses Evernote again.

On the whole Keep is much snappier on my phone, it doesn't require a special account which could be HACKED (hint, hint, Evernote), awesome checklist feature, and I can swipe to delete a note. It's just much easier to use and navigate in my opinion.

yeah, Keep is good if it fits your needs.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
PlaneSploit.

Hugo Teso demonstrated complete pwning onboard Airplane Flight Control from a mobile application Anyone with the right tools and a little know-how can read and send these ACARS messages. Teso purchased hardware from eBay that provided “actual flight code software” for “training” such as Flight Management System made by Rockwell. He also needed a radio transmitter and explained about software radio systems before the talk. He audited real aircraft code, searching for vulnerabilities to exploit, but used a lab with virtual airplanes as opposed to hijacking an actual jet in flight. Hijacking a real plane during a flight was “too dangerous and unethical.”

According to Teso’s presentation slides [pdf], the ACARS datalink allowed for “real-time data transmission” and all communications between planes and airports are sent unencrypted. Teso used ACARS to exploit and break into the airplane’s onboard computer system and then upload Flight Management System (FMS) data. FMS could be uploaded by software defined radio and ground service providers.

Once he was into the airplane’s computer, he was able to manipulate the steering of a Boeing jet while the aircraft was in “autopilot” mode. The only countermeasure available to pilots, if they even realized they were being hacked, would be to turn off autopilot. Yet many planes no longer have old analog instruments for manual flying. Teso said he could take control of most all airplane systems; he could even cause the plane to crash by setting it on a collision course with another plane. He could also give the passengers a serious adrenaline rush by making the oxygen masks drop down.

Teso used his Samsung Galaxy and a specially crafted app called PlaneSploit to demonstrate how to hack an airplane’s computer.....And no, PlaneSploit is not going to be available to the masses to hijack planes with their Android devices

There is option in the android settings to schedule power off and on for your phone. Not sure what version it was introduced in but just check in your settings.

I can't seem to find it. I am new to Android and have a Nexus 4, but my Settings menu doesn't seem to have any option like this. =|

JayDub

there is no such thing as a tablet app, all apps have the potential to run on any device at whatever resolution due to the way Android was designed from the ground up to be resolution independent. when you browse the play store on your device, apps show up based on the intent of the app developer. so if a dev excludes devices without a certain feature or excludes certain models or whatever, they just won't show up on your device if you search for it. the vast majority of apps show up for most devices.

I guess what Im asking is if the UI changes to take advantage of the extra real estate?

Top Bottom