• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

kaskade

I'm really loving the chatheads feature on facebook messenger, I wont even need to install the FB Home at all.

Yeah, Chat heads is actually a really awesome feature. Like you said, you just need the messenger app. Apparently you can integrate it with texting from what I read. Not sure how though.

Polari

Just a quick note to say apparently the Duolingo app for Android is apparently finally coming in May.

Now if only the Khan Academy would get their shit together. Seems bizarre that an organisation trying to democratise access to education would only release on a platform where devices are $329+ as opposed to $70+.

kaskade

Look in the Settings. They're not combined by default.

vTHgegW.png

There's my settings menu.

Any reason why Facebook Home isn't available in the UK?

Seems a bit of a pisser since the actual Facebook app updated, then had a setting at the very bottom of the main settings menu saying "Enable Facebook Home". Only to take you to the play store and be all like "nah, not happening."

Anywhere I can just grab the apk from?

Gs3 as well. This is weird. I'm on 10.1 M3. I don't think that should have anything to do with it though, but who knows.
Oh I meant to say that mine was the same as mtsmylie's in that it has the MMS/SMS options... Must be something to do with the version of CM you're using then

Any reason why Facebook Home isn't available in the UK?

Seems a bit of a pisser since the actual Facebook app updated, then had a setting at the very bottom of the main settings menu saying "Enable Facebook Home". Only to take you to the play store and be all like "nah, not happening."

Anywhere I can just grab the apk from?

XDA has it. You can sideload in different countries, but only if the device is approved at all.

XDA has it. You can sideload in different countries, but only if the device is approved at all.
Cheers! Using it now...

It comes off as extremely lazy and half baked, it still utterly relies on use of the Facebook app (which isn't great to begin with) so it all feels a bit pointless. Plus seeing blurry pictures of your friends kids and shit as your background is quite frankly awful.

I mean seriously, you have to tap on your face, drag it up to apps circle, then drag the screen across just to get to the place where you can make a status update... Which you then tap on and it opens the Facebook app. I mean seriously, in terms of functionality it's a complete clusterfuck.

Plus there's this big grey square that literally has no use...

I mean literally. You tap on it and it does nothing... I was thinking that it would be a text entry box for posting a status update, but seemingly that makes too much sense for Facebook to realise.

It's all just pointless. All it does is make it easier to see your friends big dumb faces, but to do anything beyond liking/commenting on a status or photo, you've still to use the app itself.

Swing and a miss.

EDIT: Just seeing now that the big dumb grey square is so you can drag your favourite apps there... Didn't tell me that though

panda21

annoyingly they seem to have removed most of the options from the leaked version

you could choose whether you wanted it to display status updates or only stuff from pages you liked, and you could include the google search bar in the app drawer.

Plus there's this big grey square that literally has no use...

I mean literally. You tap on it and it does nothing... I was thinking that it would be a text entry box for posting a status update, but seemingly that makes too much sense for Facebook to realise.

It's all just pointless. All it does is make it easier to see your friends big dumb faces, but to do anything beyond liking/commenting on a status or photo, you've still to use the app itself.

Swing and a miss.

EDIT: Just seeing now that the big dumb grey square is so you can drag your favourite apps there... Didn't tell me that though

yeah, what happens is with normal people, that big grey square will have the apps that are on your home screens of your default launcher dropped onto there. it will import whatever shortcuts you have in the stock touchwiz or sense launcher, but since you're on CM it imports NOTHING so you're left with an empty screen of NOTHING.

vdlow

Guys, is there a way to get rid of the Play Music lockscreen widget?

It shows up automatically when I start to use the app, and there's no option to disable it. (or at least I didn't find it)

PaulLFC

I'm guessing that they don't function on Apex Launcher home pages, mine re-appear when in applications but vanish when on a home screen
There are some apps they don't function in. They worked for me on Nova Launcher screens, Reddit Sync, Twitter etc, but not when playing a game.

Glad I can get that feature without installing Facebook Home now though, there doesn't seem to be a reason to install Home yet, at least not with this initial version. Not to mention it's not available in the UK even if I wanted to use it. Bizarre.

kaskade

What Roms do you guys use(if you do)? I've been using CM10.1 for a while now and kind of want to try something else. LiquidSmooth seems to be the next best. Is it really better though, or pretty much the same.

Anyone suggest a way to get my g+ messenger messages to show up in the general Messaging app? Messaging houses sms, mms, Google talk, but seemingly not Messenger.

jwk94

So I'm not seeing Chatheads on my FB messenger, even when I've updated. I went to notifications and it's not there.

kaskade

Yeah I gotta say that Facebook home giant appealing to me at all. I'm sure some people might like it though. Messenger is really awesome though. Hopefully I can sort out the probably with not having the SMS integration.

On a different subject, I finally bought a 32 GB SD card for my s3 for music. I can finally start retiring my old iPod touch. Maybe I'll just keep that for the gym.

OG Kush

Yeah I gotta say that Facebook home giant appealing to me at all. I'm sure some people might like it though. Messenger is really awesome though. Hopefully I can sort out the probably with not having the SMS integration.

On a different subject, I finally bought a 32 GB SD card for my s3 for music. I can finally start retiring my old iPod touch. Maybe I'll just keep that for the gym.

I wanted to get SD card for music but the volume on the s3 is just too low - at the highest setting (with headphones in). yes you can download volume boosters but it aint the same. Really baffles me why Samsung put such a low volume on the device.

Top Bottom