• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

vdlow

I've updated random app to include prime & composite numbers as well as reminders.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAucmFuZG9tIl0.

Also I'm working on an SMS blacklist app. So far it just blacklists numbers, going to add keywords next. Any other request to add in?

It would be awesome to block a number or a keyword for a determined period of time. Like, my team just lost Super Bowl, so I block my friends numbers for 2 hours to avoid they making fun of my team.

kaskade

I wanted to get SD card for music but the volume on the s3 is just too low - at the highest setting (with headphones in). yes you can download volume boosters but it aint the same. Really baffles me why Samsung put such a low volume on the device.

Really? I find the volume to be fine. If I maxed it out it would be hurting my ears. I'm running CM10.1. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Maybe the stock Touch Wiz limits the volume.

PaulLFC

I saw an article about Ninja SMS over at Tested so I downloaded it to try it out. It's a fantastic idea, but isn't really ready for daily use yet. I wouldn't recommend buying it right now unless you want to lock in the lower price (Currently 65p for the first 5000 customers).

It's pretty much Facebook's Chat Heads for texts, with pop up conversations, transparency toggling, themes, customisable notifications and the ability to minimise conversations to just pictures which can float on top of other apps and update when you get a new message.

You can also customise which contacts get pop ups and which don't, or just select everyone.

The thing is, it's pretty unstable at the moment. Tested mentioned that minimising a conversation to the picture only can sometimes cause the app to become invisible - this happened to me when testing it just now - the app disappears but still acts as if you're inside text entry - keyboard popups, etc. It also made my phone unresponsive, the home screens wouldn't scroll smoothly until I restarted the phone.

It's now disabled and I've gone back to SMS Popup, but I've not uninstalled it as with some stability improvements it could be brilliant. I just hope it gets an update soon.

yogloo

Yy71men.png

Taskarou overlay
I am going to leave this picture here because it is awesome. Makes the multitasking usable.

moojito

Seriously dude, charge that phone. I'm getting a twitch in my right eye just looking at that picture. Post back when it's on charge or I'm not going to be able to sleep.

yogloo

Speaking of something like this, is there a way to change what is on the radial dial that appears when you hold the home button? (Nexus 4)

I haven't found a way to customize the shortcut.
But basically it shows you more option everytime you hold the button.
Hold app and you get an option for all apps, search and appstore.
Hold multitask you you get option, multitask and back.
Hold home and you get taskarou settings, phone settings and home.
I have always hated the hold home a few secs to trigger the multitask option because it feels so slow. This is one of themost elegant solution to my problem.

Oh. I misread the question. I thought you were asking about this app. My bad.

3phemeral

Enough of this FB Home nonsense, lets get back to some good apps, Unified Remote Full is on sale for a dollar.

Damn, I missed out on this. I actually never used this app before and tried the free version. I love it so far and will probably pay for this full version. What's interesting is that if you pair this up with the 10/8-inch Galaxy Note tablets (they have palm rejection, right?), you can theoretically also use this as a drawing Bamboo/Intuos-esque drawing tablet for your PC when using it in mouse mode, I'm sure of it.

The YouTube remote doesn't quite work for me though, and kind of defeats the purpose if I have to make the video in fullscreen before the controls become responsive.

Taskarou. For all rooted users. This is friggin awesome. Go get it.

Yy71men.png

Taskarou overlay
I am going to leave this picture here because it is awesome. Makes the multitasking usable.

Saw the video on the play store that looks really neat. My phone's rooted too, so I might want to give it a try.

But I figured I'd ask a related question. I see a lot of talk about using alternate launchers. As someone who still feels very new to the whole Android thing. What exactly are launchers and how exactly are the various made ones different than what's available by default (I've got an HTC EVO V with ICS fyi)?

What exactly are launchers and how exactly are the various made ones different than what's available by default (I've got an HTC EVO V with ICS fyi)?

Basically its the user interface that sits on-top of the operating system. Alternate ones usually offer greater customization of the home screen and app drawer... changing the look and feel, alternate features (such as overlapping or resize-able widgets), or run smoother. Therefore offering greater personalisation if you wish.

Hieberrr

Just posted and need some testers :)

Early release just to work out bugs in existing code before adding more advanced features.

SMS Blacklist is SMS blocking utility that allows to block based on either a) phone number or b) keyword. More features coming

TODO: Auto reply, time based blocking, widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuc21zYmxhY2tsaXN0Il0.
Make it an SMS/call blocker with a sexy icon. And I'll buy the shit out of it ;)

Saw the video on the play store that looks really neat. My phone's rooted too, so I might want to give it a try.

But I figured I'd ask a related question. I see a lot of talk about using alternate launchers. As someone who still feels very new to the whole Android thing. What exactly are launchers and how exactly are the various made ones different than what's available by default (I've got an HTC EVO V with ICS fyi)?

the launcher is the app you see when the phone starts or when you press the home button. typically they show widgets and app shortcuts and have a way to display all of the apps on the device.

some are close to stock, like Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher while others try to do things differently like Action Launcher or Chameleon Launcher and others try to really shake things up like SPB Shell 3D and Next Launcher 3D... and that's just me naming a few... there are also the 3rd party manufacturer launchers, most notably Samsung's TouchWiz launcher and HTC's Sense launcher.

PaulLFC

Ninja SMS got a great update which from the couple of minutes I've tested it for seems to fix the crashing and freezing issues with the initial release.

The one thing it needs now is the ability to turn on the lockscreen to show its message popup if the screen is off and locked - currently it just flashes the LED and keeps the screen off.

The actual popup / chat heads for texts functionality is great. If it got the notification when locked functionality I could see it being pretty essential.

TommyT

Ninja SMS got a great update which from the couple of minutes I've tested it for seems to fix the crashing and freezing issues with the initial release.

The one thing it needs now is the ability to turn on the lockscreen to show its message popup if the screen is off and locked - currently it just flashes the LED and keeps the screen off.

The actual popup / chat heads for texts functionality is great. If it got the notification when locked functionality I could see it being pretty essential.

I've currently got GoSMS... any chance you've used both and can give pros/cons with NinjaSMS over it?

edit: Aside from the multi-tasking NinjaSMS does. GoSMS has been giving me some issues, but it's free.

PaulLFC

I've currently got GoSMS... any chance you've used both and can give pros/cons with NinjaSMS over it?

edit: Aside from the multi-tasking NinjaSMS does. GoSMS has been giving me some issues, but it's free.
Sorry, I haven't used GoSMS for any reasonable length of time unfortunately. I did think about downloading it, but the stock app plus SMS Popup, which has quick reply functionality and is also free, had all the features I needed personally, since my only real issue with the stock app was the lack of popup notifications.

The reason I like Ninja SMS is that it's basically a version of the new Chat Heads in Facebook Messenger, but for texts. The ability to have a floating picture of a contact you're taking to update in real time and show you the conversation, with quick reply functions, in a floating window, is great. It uses the stock app for sending texts, so all conversations are stored there. Unfortunately it doesn't do popups when the screen is off yet, so it can't fully replace stock + SMS Popup for me at the moment. Hopefully that feature isn't far away, though. If that's implemented and works well, I could see it becoming my default app.

Zeppu

Fluffy! I too love your Love Colors app. I just don't understand why the menu to add the wallpaper is so weird and tiny. But I still love it <3.

Anyone there with Android 4.0 or 4.1 willing to give some help? =)

It's simple, just try to use my app. It's a power widget, and now it only toggles wifi, mobile data and bluetooth. I've received 3 or 4 reports of problems while toggling these connections in ICS and JB 4.1.

Thanks in advance.

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vdlow.dashclockpowertoggle

I'd test but my gf has my phone with her in NJ at the moment. Have you tried in emulator? Also if you are running a cyanogenmod enable the debug app option from dev menu. It's helped me track down some crashes I wouldn't otherwise get. That said, some phones I can just not get to reproduce some problems. But I think a lot of those comments point to maybe something is wrong even if they are a bit harsh (I hate comments like that). Best of luck though, I know how frustrating tracking bugs are!

OG Kush

Really? I find the volume to be fine. If I maxed it out it would be hurting my ears. I'm running CM10.1. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Maybe the stock Touch Wiz limits the volume.

hmm might have to look into rooting this bad boy.

vdlow

I'd test but my gf has my phone with her in NJ at the moment. Have you tried in emulator? Also if you are running a cyanogenmod enable the debug app option from dev menu. It's helped me track down some crashes I wouldn't otherwise get. That said, some phones I can just not get to reproduce some problems. But I think a lot of those comments point to maybe something is wrong even if they are a bit harsh (I hate comments like that). Best of luck though, I know how frustrating tracking bugs are!

Thanks man. I use CM and will surely look into this option. I tried to debug using the emulator but for some reason the buttons do not work, even with 4.2.

I believe it's not a general problem with these android versions, because 60% of the users who downloaded my app uses either 4.0 or 4.1. If it was a general problem I would have more people complaining, I think.

Well, thanks again for the tips!

kaskade

hmm might have to look into rooting this bad boy.

I think it's worth it. I can't say for sure if it'll fix your problem but I love the stock UI so much more. Always worth a try though. You can just make a full backup and if you hate it switch back right to where you were.

Crossposting from another thread:

What's the best news app that sends out alerts and notifications? Something like the Scorecenter app, but for news only. I checked out AP News, but the comments seem to indicate a problem with the app crashing and locking the phone.

Jack_AG

Banned
Cmon gaf need some opinions on what to add to this SMS blocking app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuc21zYmxhY2tsaXN0Il0.

So far on my todo:
- Time based blocking say between certain hours or whatever
- Widget

I was thinking maybe a lock down toggle feature and want to block everything with an auto-reply message. What else? :)

Make a feature that blocks ALL incoming everything when turned "ON" (or a specified time, i.e. - 10pm to 6am) EXCEPT - numbers you exclude.

I'd consider this like an "emergency" feature. Basically silences everything but a few whitelisted phone numbers in case of an emergency situation.

Of course, you having a time-based block would be great - but an option to include all incoming with the exception of a few would be great.

Also expand the SMS block to just a straight-up block. If you just block texts and not calls that could be tiresome, for some. Android does have a "send to voicemail" option but then annoying peeps can clog your VM.

I know, too many suggestions, just throwing stuff out there.

Top Bottom