• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I think it's worth it. I can't say for sure if it'll fix your problem but I love the stock UI so much more. Always worth a try though. You can just make a full backup and if you hate it switch back right to where you were.

I'm on the foxhound rom and there's an options menu that looks like this: under the settings menu which might help but to be honest, I've never used it so I couldn't say. I don't know if the same menu is in CM but I'd guess so..? I don't know why I chimed in to be fair as I'm not the most experienced with this stuff.

I dunno if it's the bundled headphones that came with it but anywhere over 2/3 is gonna pop my eardrums though.

If anyone likes minimal style wallpapers. I made this:

gvecrjS5h3_Crg0YsUxIi7_QCoZejt-Az4r00Yn4CTAadL4WHalfyzwdiPNJKmSXqOvc
EuY1nYGXS1L-2aMR42lUyNUDdJjgiz264UxR3AdGz7PET_oNbp1c-pnB7_XCwN2IQ5k

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wiY29tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5sb3ZlY29sb3JzIl0.

BTW, also working on a app to keep screen awake under various conditions. Any suggestions? So far:

Going back through the thread and came across this. Works great :)

bovo

I'm assuming people don't mind linking to our own apps, but feel free to object if so.

It is more interesting (in my opinion!) than useful, but I made an app which shows a virtual view of the Curiosity rover landing site, and gives the current (solar) time.

Curiosity Clock

LKPGZ1EGOWtL8ledfPmF9OZNsYDsKXSTUMS6PHO_Y3xWxCHM8Fymd_7s3PY5PEcWDWwx

A paid version has been around for a while, but recently made an ad 'supported' version, so thought I would mention it here...

Consensus on the best "automator" type app for flexibility, usability, and integration into other apps? $5 is probably my limit for the functionality.

Not sure on I want to do, but so far I am thinking in basic terms: turn on and off wifi based on location; tell lightflow to turn off work email alerts on weekends; turn all network off at night if it isn't plugged in or something like that; etc.

Consensus on the best "automator" type app for flexibility, usability, and integration into other apps? $5 is probably my limit for the functionality.

Not sure on I want to do, but so far I am thinking in basic terms: turn on and off wifi based on location; tell lightflow to turn off work email alerts on weekends; turn all network off at night if it isn't plugged in or something like that; etc.

Tasker

Locale

Llama

jokkir

I think Llama can do all that. Not sure about the email thing but definitely the first two and it's free!

You have more control with Tasker though but it has a steep learning curve and I honestly dont know what I can do to my phone with Tasker. >__>

I bought tasker first...than I heard about Llama. So i installed that. After a day i disabled tasker. Although it's more powerful Llama is alot more user friendly...

Tasker

Locale

Llama

I think Llama can do all that. Not sure about the email thing but definitely the first two and it's free!

You have more control with Tasker though but it has a steep learning curve and I honestly dont know what I can do to my phone with Tasker. >__>

I bought tasker first...than I heard about Llama. So i installed that. After a day i disabled tasker. Although it's more powerful Llama is alot more user friendly...

Thanks guys. I'll grab Llama and see what it can do. If I need more functionality, I will grab tasker.

Blackhead

Redarse
I can't get the Aix weather widget on the Action Launcher homescreen. Anybody else have this problem?

By the way is it just me or is the Falcon Pro per-user notification feature not working yet?

So i'm buying the HTC One tomorrow. Is the info in the OP still current, is it updated often? I just want to make sure the recommended ones to download are pretty much the best of that's out there.

Petrie

Banned
not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got a fresh Droid 4 from Verizon, and I'm looking to get it set up as streamlined and efficiently as I can. I just feel like things are a bit convoluted on my old phone with various widgets for stuff, and I'd like to consolidate things and get things efficient. any and all advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I've fallen way behind the ball.

don't know exactly what I want, just to know how everyone is being productive, efficient, and uncluttered on Android these days with schedules, alarms, google now, and all that arious fun.
cross post from android OT

3phemeral

not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got a fresh Droid 4 from Verizon, and I'm looking to get it set up as streamlined and efficiently as I can. I just feel like things are a bit convoluted on my old phone with various widgets for stuff, and I'd like to consolidate things and get things efficient. any and all advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I've fallen way behind the ball.

don't know exactly what I want, just to know how everyone is being productive, efficient, and uncluttered on Android these days with schedules, alarms, google now, and all that arious fun.
cross post from android OT

MyColorScreen and the Android customization thread are good places to start, as the minimal-design look is very popular. The only problem is wading through a bunch of submissions to find the one that you like, but MyColorScreen is a good place to start because they usually post what apps/icon packs they've used to achieve the look.

Angst

MyColorScreen and the Android customization thread are good places to start, as the minimal-design look is very popular. The only problem is wading through a bunch of submissions to find the one that you like, but MyColorScreen is a good place to start because they usually post what apps/icon packs they've used to achieve the look.
Someone needs to do a newbie guide for uccw... I have tried wrapping my head around it so many times but ultimately I just give up. And mycolorscreen usually just say "use uccw and customize it until you are happy"

3phemeral

Someone needs to do a newbie guide for uccw... I have tried wrapping my head around it so many times but ultimately I just give up. And mycolorscreen usually just say "use uccw and customize it until you are happy"

This is the first time I've heard of UCCW and I'm watching a video about how to use it to achieve a certain look from pre-built widgets. I'll play with it a bit but it does seem like it's a very fully featured app.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Okay, I've been noticing a problem. Every time I update an app from the new Play Store, it finishes downloading like normal but the app disappears from the app drawer and my home screen...

Angst

This is the first time I've heard of UCCW and I'm watching a video about how to use it to achieve a certain look from pre-built widgets. I'll play with it a bit but it does seem like it's a very fully featured app.

It's very powerful and you can do loads of things with it. Flip side is that it's very powerful and almost incomprehensible. Best thing I've done is a transparent rectangle... :p

bob page

What's currently the best file explorer app? ES File Explorer looks nice but it has a ton of extra features that I wasn't really interested in.

methane47

UCCW is very powerfull.... but its also terrible. Building stuff from scratch sucks big time. I spent like an 1hr working on it and only managed to make like a crappy weather widget that barely worked.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best printer app for sending documents to a HP printer connected via the wifi router?

I can't get the Aix weather widget on the Action Launcher homescreen. Anybody else have this problem?

Could someone just confirm that aix weather doesn't show up in the widget list on Action Launcher Pro

Petrie

Banned
Is there some sort of easier way to add "recurring" but ever changing events to Google calendar? I bartend and wait tables, and because of fluctuatiog schedule, I have to manually add every shift to Google calendar, typing it out each time and all, and I'd just prefer some easier method of plugging these in and having them show up. Thoughts?

I've revamped a percent tool I was working on. Basically here is everything. If you have any requests or whatever let me know

A suite of percentage based calculators

*** Have a request? E-mail me or respond to this thread ***

- History support
- Usage tracking to see what you use the most
- Simple clean design
- Easily share calculations
** Calculators thus far **
- Percent calculator
- Percentage calculator
- Percent decrease
- Percent increase
- Percent change
- Discount calculator
- Tip calculator
- Gross margin

NHlujKCQ5rztpi1SQ8ahPQSSNrsAbAfwOdPpgoFq5NuyNHrQ1eReuEYtKj80d57QAck
44Hh_B8dBwIEqJxXs3TvDad5wjMv_0Vl529kPIufNyKxa1eiBDdERATbHfBhTIEb0w

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAucGVyY2VudGRpZmZlcmVuY2UiXQ..

Anyone know of a good alarm clock app that allows you to sleep with ambient sounds for a set amount of time, then wakes you up?

There's way too many on the app store.

joaomgcd

Anyone know of a good alarm clock app that allows you to sleep with ambient sounds for a set amount of time, then wakes you up?

There's way too many on the app store.

Do you have Tasker?
If you do, you can just make your own alarm that does that with AutoAlarm https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.autoalarm :)

Just set it to start playing your ambient noises 5 minutes before your alarm and let your regular android alarm do the waking up. :)

3phemeral

It's very powerful and you can do loads of things with it. Flip side is that it's very powerful and almost incomprehensible. Best thing I've done is a transparent rectangle... :p

UCCW is very powerfull.... but its also terrible. Building stuff from scratch sucks big time. I spent like an 1hr working on it and only managed to make like a crappy weather widget that barely worked.

Well, I wanted to try it for the heck of it to see how it works and I must say, it's not that bad. I saw something on MyColorScreen that had a ridiculous background, so I modeled the wallpaper after that because I wanted to see how flexible it was at modifying widgets to fit awkward spaces and came up with this:

Don't judge me on the icon styles :) I just wanted to whip something up quickly and didn't know what to use for their styling. I still haven't decided whether or not I want to use the white space between the ribbons for something (or the two yellow ribbons that have nothing on them).

I used to my recently resuscitated TF101 as a guinea pig. It does take a bit of getting used to understanding the various properties but if you really sit down with it, it could prove pretty flexible.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just downloaded and checked for you. Worked fine. Not sure what your problem might be. I'm running Paranoid Android on a nexus 7.
Thanks! My Action Launcher Pro defaulted to a home screen grid of 3 x 3 and that's why the Aix widget wasn't showing up. It's fixed now.
dunno what the best is, i only use the HP apps...
The HP apps only work with WiFi connected printers and I didn't know want to go through that hassle.

Thanks! My Action Launcher Pro defaulted to a home screen grid of 3 x 3 and that's why the Aix widget wasn't showing up. It's fixed now.

The HP apps only work with WiFi connected printers and I didn't know want to go through that hassle.

the hassle of setting up a printer on wifi? yeah it takes like 2 minutes.

Blackhead

Redarse
the hassle of setting up a printer on wifi? yeah it takes like 2 minutes.

This HP printer doesn't have a wizard and has to be connected via USB to a computer (with a CD drive?) to set up WiFi. :/

Anyway, I'm using the Printershare app. $10 and works over bonjour. Any other suggestions would be welcome

This HP printer doesn't have a wizard and has to be connected via USB to a computer (with a CD drive?) to set up WiFi. :/

Anyway, I'm using the Printershare app. $10 and works over bonjour. Any other suggestions would be welcome
I need to try that app out sometime, I got it for free when it was the app of the day on Amazon.

vdlow

Updated the days until app to now have a calendar icon in the main screen

I was thinking about something yesterday, I thought about doing an separate app for it but it would be a better solution if you could do it with your app. A DashClock Extension showing the days until the event. The extension would have the title (duh) and in the body it would show the days until the closest events. (it would be nice to have a setting for this, like show the events of the next 7, 14, 30, 60 or 90 days.)

It's just an idea, it would be nice to see this in your app! =)

Great app, but I have a question. Is there anyway to set these wallpapers for the lockscreen?
what Android device are you using?

Phandroid with a new entry to their Uniquely Android series

Uniquely Android: Puzzle Alarm Clock

What’s so unique about Puzzle Alarm Clock?

Right at the start, I have to request you to not judge Puzzle Alarm Clock by its name. It isn’t yet another of those “solve a math problem to switch off alarm apps”. It has a butt-load of features that I’ll get to below, but there’s one key element that makes it stand out for me: NFC.

I first began using the app at the start of the year when I was struggling to get rid of my nocturnal nature. I hate getting up early in the morning, sometimes snoozing my alarm for several hours before finally getting out of bed. The key for me, however, is that once I’m up and out of my room, I’m quite fresh and won’t fall back asleep even if I try to.

I had a bunch of NFC tags lying around, and I thought “wouldn’t it be great if there was an alarm app that only switched off the alarm by tapping with an NFC tag placed far away from my bed?” For a few minutes I thought I had just stumbled across a million dollar app idea. Unfortunately, as with all my other million dollar ideas, I found that someone had already built it.

i laughed. i know you did too!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Has Google ever made any mention of merging the Gtalk and Google Messenger apps? It's kind of pointless to have both right now. As far as I know they both use the same contacts list but they work separately.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Has Google ever made any mention of merging the Gtalk and Google Messenger apps? It's kind of pointless to have both right now. As far as I know they both use the same contacts list but they work separately.

Google Babel is one of the worst-kept secrets in Mountain View. I am hoping for a reveal at Google I/O next month.

So maybe this is not the best place for app tech support, but...

So I just got an HTC One and want to use K-9 Mail on it, to have a unified inbox for several gmail accounts.

On my main g-mail account, I have 2-step verification on it, and thus you can't just type your password into the field.

So I made an application specific password for the app on my main computer, but I still get the "username/password" incorrect error.

I read somewhere else that you can go to https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha on your phone and it'll help so that the application specific password will work, but still no dice.

Any idea of what could be happening?

Top Bottom