• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

TommyT

Twitch.TV app - I've had it happen a few times where I could enter a stream name and whatnot, but I can't seem to get that to happen. I want to watch a stream that isn't popular, but when I click on the game it says "150 streams" but gives me something like 20.

edit: Or might just be better to ask for a replacement app to watch twitch.tv - I see there's stremie, but really don't see why I'd have to install flash...

VoxPop

is there anything like Activator for Android? Basically gestures for mimicking buttons. Like pinch to lock screen, swipe for home button, etc.

Camp Lo

Banned
Hey I'm looking for a music app to play my mp3s but i need a bookmark option for audiobooks. the only app ive seen with this was on my jailbroken iTouch.

i checked the poweramp trial and it doesnt have it and by bookmark i mean i can play another song and go back to my previous song and it hasn't started back at the beginning OR it makes a link to jump to my spot.

Twitch.TV app - I've had it happen a few times where I could enter a stream name and whatnot, but I can't seem to get that to happen. I want to watch a stream that isn't popular, but when I click on the game it says "150 streams" but gives me something like 20.

edit: Or might just be better to ask for a replacement app to watch twitch.tv - I see there's stremie, but really don't see why I'd have to install flash...

I think you can navigate to the streams on the site, which will open up the app prompt.

Hey I'm looking for a music app to play my mp3s but i need a bookmark option for audiobooks. the only app ive seen with this was on my jailbroken iTouch.

i checked the poweramp trial and it doesnt have it and by bookmark i mean i can play another song and go back to my previous song and it hasn't started back at the beginning OR it makes a link to jump to my spot.

i can't recall if any music playing apps have bookmark functions, but there are several audiobook apps that have bookmarking.

Gaf, I'm going to be need testers for my days until app pretty please. Just added repeating events

e9Rs14p.png

I've just uploaded it to play so will take a couple hours but here is link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...9tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuZGF5c3VudGlsIl0.

BurningNad

Not sure if this is the proper place, but it is Android related...

Are there any good Android apps for texting through Firefox? I know there are a few extensions for Firefox, that come with sister apps that do this but there are usually fees. Just wondering if there's any good, free ones to look at. If not, I can consider paid ones if they're really good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: Looked around a bit and found MightyText. Installed it and so far it's exactly what I wanted. Pinning it as an app in Firefox and installing the notification extension makes it even easier for me to be lazy. It doesn't mark texts as read if viewed in the app, which is my only complaint, but I can deal with that. Just putting it here in case anyone else is interested.

RobbieNick

I just got an Kyocera Event for $60. Cheap, but it's got a 1 GHZ proccesor and Android 4.0. What's the best app for downloading podcasts that's not too pricey?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just got an Kyocera Event for $60. Cheap, but it's got a 1 GHZ proccesor and Android 4.0. What's the best app for downloading podcasts that's not too pricey?

I use Podkicker Pro. They have a free version, but the paid version is worth it.

hom3land

Pocket cast is worth every penny. Do delivery, so always listening to podcasts in the car, and its a great app. Has tons of podcasts to choose from (if you don't want to import a list), Saves your position (when I get back in my car tommorow its going to start right back up where I left), beautiful interface, and easy to manage.

Groof

Am I the only one who has trouble with cloud storage backups with Carbon? It just stops at random times for whatever reason and I have to cancel and restart it. And sometimes it doesn't even start at all, just a white pop up with nothing on it.

mitheor

Another update
Added
* On this day - click the calendar icon when viewing an event to show a list of historical events that have occurred on this day

It´s probably me but ... how can i add an event to the status bar?

I´m not seeing any way neither in the event itself or the program :$

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Check out antennapod as it is free and open source on the play store. It is also actively getting updates.

It might be all you need verses paying for pocket cast.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I use beyondpod and other than a slightly bland UI it is awesome. I commute 2 hrs everyday so it is a lifesaver. It is a bit awkward to get it to use an external sd, but once setup works fine.
The free version has a time limited trial of the full thing if you are worried about wasting money.

TommyT

Ugh, so frustrated with the Twitch.TV app. I went ahead and bit the bullet of installing Flash to use Streamie, which is how the Twitch app used to be. Every place I've looked I couldn't find an older version of Twitch... hopefully I made a backup with it on it.

That said, my phone has been acting up, even after restarts. Freezing on the camera and a few different apps - rather disappointing. I suppose I'll spend some time and wipe it or install a backup and see if that fixes it.

Oh, well yeah. I figured you meant you didn't use the swype'ing method et al anymore.

FinKL

AirDroid v2.0 is on Google Play

Edit: Looked around a bit and found MightyText. Installed it and so far it's exactly what I wanted. Pinning it as an app in Firefox and installing the notification extension makes it even easier for me to be lazy. It doesn't mark texts as read if viewed in the app, which is my only complaint, but I can deal with that. Just putting it here in case anyone else is interested.

Where have these apps been my whole life? I've been using Android since the G1 and didn't know such witchcraft exists.

TommyT

MightyText seems pretty nifty. Will surely make my fiancee happier to know that now there's no reason I should miss a text from here while I'm on the pc.

So is that NinjaSMS the only SMS that allows for a popup to not interrupt your current app? For example when I'm watching a stream or something and I get a popup from GoSMS it just stops the current process - would love to have that process continue while the popup is there.

Swag

Mint. On your desktop, or on your mobile. It's amazing for something that's free. Made by the people who make Quicken and QuickTax.
Does Mint have an Android app? I used to use the iOS version when I had an iPhone but couldn't find an app on the play store

Edit: I see why, not available outside the US UK or Canada.

PaulLFC

So is that NinjaSMS the only SMS that allows for a popup to not interrupt your current app? For example when I'm watching a stream or something and I get a popup from GoSMS it just stops the current process - would love to have that process continue while the popup is there.
You could try SMS Popup, which is free. I'm not sure if it interrupts video but since it's free it's worth a try.

Speaking of Ninja SMS, it just got an update with the ability to turn on the screen when you get a text, which is good. I still think it could be better implemented though - it should have an option to just show the Ninja SMS popup on the screen when it lights up - at the moment it just pops the notification in the status bar and you have to unlock your phone to read the text.

I'm using Glowfly for popup SMS notifications but the badge icon on the stock SMS app doesn't clear.

Is there a fix for this? Or should I be using a different SMS app?

Groof

I have also stumbled across Money Lover which has a nice UI like that one but is a bit more feature rich.

Oh wow, yeah, that looks really great actually. Kinda hard to switch now though with no way to import a .csv file when I have so many expenses jotted down in the other app. But I'll definitely try it out.

Well I got the One, and where previously I was using Nova, I want to give Sense a chance this time around (I actually really like the fonts better). On my old phone I used BetterCut to create custom home screen shortcuts (ie, bookmarks with custom icons), it's a seriously old app and it doesn't work on Jellybean. I have been looking but haven't found as simple of an app to do the same functionality. Does anyone know of one?

Swag

I have also stumbled across Money Lover which has a nice UI like that one but is a bit more feature rich.
Hmm, when I checked that app last night it had a drastically different UI then what is on the page now. Prefer this to the other Expense Manager, Income Management without an in app purchase.

I've just updated days until with the following, should be live in a couple hours:

* Minor tweaks to how some dates are displayed in the main listing
* Minor bug fixes
* You can now long press an event from main menu to edit, stick to statusbar, or create homescreen shortcut
* You can now access sort menu by clicking titlebar top left
* You can now sort by all the available frequency of event options
* If you have an image or prior reminder on an event, you will now see a little icon in the main listing.
* Fixed clearing of prior reminder. To clear a prior reminder enter all zeroes and click continue

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...9tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuZGF5c3VudGlsIl0.

Top Bottom