• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

SimleuqiR

So it's just like consoles except it's just one side that's bitching.

People on Android wanted Instagram. What's wrong with that? They see a value in having the app - I don't blame them. So they can bitch to the developer all they want.

But not wanting an app to be available on all possible platforms makes zero sense to me.

beje

Banned
People on Android wanted Instagram. What's wrong with that? They see a value in having the app - I don't blame them. So they can bitch to the developer all they want.

But not wanting an app to be available on all possible platforms makes zero sense to me.

It's Final Fantasy XIII's "Square just shot themselves on the foot" all over again. Including the "now I don't want it anymore" crybabies.

Altazor

I think he was saying it was just the iOS side bitching :p

in any case, I agree with you.

Blackhead

Redarse
10% of this thread has now been spent discussing one shitty iOS port that doesn't even include a widget.
I'm part ofthe problem

Cudder

count me as one of the people that don't "get" Instagram. why do I need ANOTHER social network to share photos when I can share photos on my existing networks?

tino

Banned
It's Final Fantasy XIII's "Square just shot themselves on the foot" all over again. Including the "now I don't want it anymore" crybabies.
But in FFXIII's case, it save them 50 hours going through the garbage that is FFXIII, so it's all worth it in the end.

I probably can make the same argument with Instagram too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
count me as one of the people that don't "get" Instagram. why do I need ANOTHER social network to share photos when I can share photos on my existing networks?

Because it's just photos.

Zeppu

Do people even realize that with the latest stock gallery (ICS only I think) you can edit photos with pretty much all the shitty effects provided by Instagram?

Also, Vignette and Pixel-o-matic

Do people even realize that with the latest stock gallery (ICS only I think) you can edit photos with pretty much all the shitty effects provided by Instagram?

People don't use it for the filters, they use it to share photos and the filters are a plus.

kinggroin

Banned
ICS pretty much makes Instagram pointless to me. The stock camera has more filters, and can directly share to a wider range of services.

Zeppu

I guess I don't see the appeal to sharing to a network which is mostly only available to users of a particular app when I can share to other networks where I'm already connected to people I care about and don't necessarily have a smartphone can see/comment/etc.

Must be just me then.

I guess I don't see the appeal to sharing to a network which is mostly only available to users of a particular app when I can share to other networks where I'm already connected to people I care about and don't necessarily have a smartphone can see/comment/etc.

Must be just me then.

30 million users and counting.

tfur

That's cause there's no built in sharing to whatever-you-like functionality in iOS so people could only share to what was available to them.

That's really what it is... The lack of functionality of yesterday's popular phone technology, creating an ecosystem.

Zeppu

Flickr has many more millions of users. Does anyone really care?

Exactly. I can take pictures with whatever camera app I like, have the flickr app installed and share to that, or picasa, or facebook or twitter, or google+, or whatever I like.

That's really what it is... The lack of functionality of yesterday's popular phone technology, creating an ecosystem.
Considering people share photos to social networks all the time via their iPhones, I really fail to see how this is the case.

Exactly. I can take pictures with whatever camera app I like, have the flickr app installed and share to that, or picasa, or facebook or twitter, or google+, or whatever I like.
So can iOS users, they just have to go into the separate app to do so..and they tend to do just that.

Zeppu

Considering people share photos to social networks all the time via their iPhones, I really fail to see how this is the case.

So can iOS users, they just have to go into the separate app to do so..and they tend to do just that.

Wasn't your original point that people use instagram to share photos and not for the filters? Turns out that they can do so without it then. What's the point of having a middleman application to take pictures?

My original statements were, that:
1. Filters can be applied with the stock gallery app
2. I don't see the appeal of sharing to a restricted network

To which you replied that people use it mainly for sharing and not for the filters, and then proving it's simple to actually share to other networks without said application.

Again, I don't see the appeal.

andycapps

People saying that other apps offer more functionality or take better pictures are missing the point with Instagram. My pictures are still saved to my phone prior to putting them on Instagram. So the photos aren't affected. Instagram is more of a social network than anything. As far as why join another social network? Depends on what your interests are. I'm pretty into tattoos and the tattoo artist community have all moved on from Blackberries (obviously) and are all on Instagram constantly. Tons of friends are on there. So it's just an interesting way to share photos quickly. Reminds me of Tumblr mixed with Twitter. The app works really fast too, much smoother and quicker than Facebook.

Wasn't your original point that people use instagram to share photos and not for the filters? Turns out that they can do so without it then.

People apparently wanted a primarily photo based social network, Flickr wasn't catching on with mobile; Instagram did.

luoapp

Wasn't your original point that people use instagram to share photos and not for the filters? Turns out that they can do so without it then. What's the point of having a middleman application to take pictures?

To which you replied that people use it mainly for sharing and not for the filters, and then proving it's simple to actually share to other networks without said application.

People are lazy, that's why.

Zeppu

People apparently wanted a primarily photo based social network, Flickr wasn't catching on with mobile; Instagram did.

I guess I would've had to have used it when everything was slightly more primitive than it is today to 'get it'. Taking into context that it's become a massive network (and perhaps people who switched from iOS to Android had missed it [or saw their iPhone owning friends use it between them]) I can see why people who had gotten used to using it as their primary photo sharing service would be delighted to get it on Android finally. I missed the bandwagon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's a social network. That's the appeal. It displays photos taken by the community and does so in an elegant fashion. If you don't see the appeal, well, that's that. But that's the appeal.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It is very nice. I really like the new layout with the big space bar and the holo theme. Works even better than X. Swype needs to step up its game majorly if it wants to remain competitive.

Swype 3 also available here per the forums, which are getting slammed:
http://bit.ly/HKAPLw

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of insta, is there a good save/read later to instapaper app? There are a ton but all of them seem to have 3.5/4-star ratings but lots of "doesn't work" reviews. On a GN.

moojito

Speaking of insta, is there a good save/read later to instapaper app? There are a ton but all of them seem to have 3.5/4-star ratings but lots of "doesn't work" reviews. On a GN.

I'd give Taptu a try. I installed it today and it's pretty damn amazing.

zbeeb

myJ8X.jpg

nuff said.

Ocho

Is Kik a better cross-platform messenger than whatsapp? My friend wants to switch to it.

I've been using it for a long time and I'd say it is indeed better. Messages are quick, you can upload an avatar, and the interface is pretty great on Android and iOS.

My only issue with the app is how it automatically scrolls to the bottom when you recieve a new message. Sometimes, in a group convo, this can be a deal breaker when you're trying to catch up.

Bboy AJ

The Twitter app Plume has been updated. It is Ice Cream Sandwich ready. Finally, it feels so much nicer. I prefer it over Boid.

beje

Banned
The Twitter app Plume has been updated. It is Ice Cream Sandwich ready. Finally, it feels so much nicer. I prefer it over Boid.

Does it have push notifications? At this rate, I will never abandon the official app because it's the only one I know which notifies mentions and DMs on complete real time with push, while all the rest use polling.

Top Bottom