• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ya that'd be nice but the rest is perfect. It really feels Google made (in a good way.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dunno if anyone cares but ComiXology for Android was recently updated. Feels more like an ICS app now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So if my phone says it's on Android version 2.3.3, how far behind is it in updates? (HTC update says my phone is up to date, which I guess means they aren't putting any more software out.)

Can anyone suggest how I can unbrick my samsung galaxy s? I took it to the vodaphone shop and dude literally suggested I go online and look for some software to do it because he said its easier than sending it back to samsung. But i'm not really sure what i'm looking for. I can get it the phone into "download" mode. Any help greatly appreciated.

Doopliss

Can anyone suggest how I can unbrick my samsung galaxy s? I took it to the vodaphone shop and dude literally suggested I go online and look for some software to do it because he said its easier than sending it back to samsung. But i'm not really sure what i'm looking for. I can get it the phone into "download" mode. Any help greatly appreciated.
Can you get into recovery mode? Have you tried doing a data wipe/factory reset from there? (That'll wipe all apps and settings, but leave your music/videos/pictures/documents etc.)

Otherwise, the best place to look for information is the forum for your device on XDA. Check the FAQ threads and do a search for brick/unbrick/whatever. You probably won't find exact instructions but if you read enough threads you'll piece together what you have to do to get the thing working again.

What is the best anti-theft app? Cerberus?

there's a chilean-made app called Prey, and I've only heard (and read) nothing but praise for it. Hell, even Neil Gaiman himself recommended it a while ago in twitter.

I've used both, thankfully i've never had my phone go missing and so never had to use any of the features in anger.
Prey is a great app but Cerebus has alot more features, as you would expect from something thats free vs something thats paid for (its a one off fee and not monthly like some others). In my opinion Cerebus is the better (best i've found) secruity option but Prey is a good free alternative, you just might have to pair it up with something that can remotely delete your stuff as i seem to recall it doesn't do that (only passwords, and not naked photos of wives, horses, husbands).

Hieberrr

If you can get into download mode your fine (not bricked). I'm assuming you have the i9000, so just look up the the oficisl firmware for your phone and flash it with Odin visit download mode. Its not hard at all :) Google it and it'll tell you how. I had to do it 3 times myself because I kept flashing different roms that required a different "base" fw.

Can you get into recovery mode? Have you tried doing a data wipe/factory reset from there? (That'll wipe all apps and settings, but leave your music/videos/pictures/documents etc.)

Otherwise, the best place to look for information is the forum for your device on XDA. Check the FAQ threads and do a search for brick/unbrick/whatever. You probably won't find exact instructions but if you read enough threads you'll piece together what you have to do to get the thing working again.

If you can get into download mode your fine (not bricked). I'm assuming you have the i9000, so just look up the the oficisl firmware for your phone and flash it with Odin visit download mode. Its not hard at all :) Google it and it'll tell you how. I had to do it 3 times myself because I kept flashing different roms that required a different "base" fw.

Cheers guys you've been a big help. Yeah i can get it into download but not recovery mode. I've been doing some research and think i've got the general jist of it, although some of the language is completely alien to me and most of the firmware links they have are usually dead
SKxAY.gif
Gonna try my first flash now with odin.

Hieberrr

Cheers guys you've been a big help. Yeah i can get it into download but not recovery mode. I've been doing some research and think i've got the general jist of it, although some of the language is completely alien to me and most of the firmware links they have are usually dead
SKxAY.gif
Gonna try my first flash now with odin.

Glad I helped. And blah, typing on my phone = gibberish LOL.

Yeah, unfortunately I think you'll have to sign up for the Samsung repo or something to get the firmware straight from them. I can'r remember where that is exactly though :(

But I hope you fix it :)

And then join me on team MIUI :p :lol

ScOULaris

All that I would like to see in future updates to tasks is a dark theme for both the app and its widget.

Either that or the developer of Simple Calendar Widget adding Tasks support would be good enough for me. Until that happens, I'm sticking with gTasks.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any recommendation for a tablet email app? The email app on the galaxy tab (not the gmail one) doesn't filter out the some of the spam unlike all the other email clients I use. :|

moojito

Are there any decent sites I could start visiting for news/reviews etc of android apps and games? A random google search brings up some dodgy sounding sites, so I figure here is the place to ask!

Awesome recommendations on the front page :)

Does anyone know if you can sync your contacts on the phone with contacts on facebook? The Blackberry FB app actually did this automatically on my old phone

And you should add the Score Mobile app to the OP, its the best sports app I have ever used

Mafro

Not liking the design of this new Boid update at all. Icons have replaced the text at the top of the columns and as a result it's lost the whole ICS vibe, which was by far the best thing about it.

Doopliss

Tasks is really great, but maybe a bit too nice to use? Instead of helping me focus on the important stuff I have to do (for which I downloaded it) I just spent 30 minutes adding lists of books, DVDs and video games I have on my shelves waiting to be read/watched/derped.

The only additional thing I want from it is the ability to collapse and expand indented groups of tasks. I submitted an entry about that on their feature suggestions page, so if anyone want to +1 it: http://goo.gl/mod/Pt0o

Ocho

Does anyone know if you can sync your contacts on the phone with contacts on facebook? The Blackberry FB app actually did this automatically on my old phone

Yes, it is possible, unless you're running ICS, in which case you need to download apps to do so (like HaxSync).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not liking the design of this new Boid update at all. Icons have replaced the text at the top of the columns and as a result it's lost the whole ICS vibe, which was by far the best thing about it.

Icons are much better than using text. It's just that these icons are ugly. I don't see how text gives it an ICS vibe when none of the GApps use text.

Doopliss

Icons are much better than using text. It's just that these icons are ugly. I don't see how text gives it an ICS vibe when none of the GApps use text.
Play Store, Youtube, Google Music and Google+ all have the text tabs between which you can swipe left and right.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Play Store, Youtube, Google Music and Google+ all have the text tabs between which you can swipe left and right.

The only one that needs text is Google Music. The others are outliers from the rest of other Google apps. And Google+ doesn't solely use text, does it? I always think of the Circle and Photo icons.

The only one that needs text is Google Music. The others are outliers from the rest of other Google apps. And Google+ doesn't solely use text, does it? I always think of the Circle and Photo icons.

When you're looking at the stream, the swipey-tabs have text above them (Technical term, swipey tabs, you know.)

The Design page on this: http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/app-structure.html

If you want 'getting ICS wrong', look at HTC... driving my OCD size nuts. Why are you making the accent colour of everything green when it should be blue, you MONSTERS

They'll make it an option to choose between them in a future release. Right now Boid is lovely to look at but is very much still alpha and vertical scrolling isn't as smooth as the Official app. They are also going to have their work cut out if Carbon releases before them, particularly if carbon offers push.

SimleuqiR

They'll make it an option to choose between them in a future release. Right now Boid is lovely to look at but is very much still alpha and vertical scrolling isn't as smooth as the Official app. They are also going to have their work cut out if Carbon releases before them, particularly if carbon offers push.

Carbon being the WebOS Twitter client? They porting that over?

Mafro

Yeah I've just seen the upcoming changes in the next update:
What To Expect In v0.7.2

1. Improved search interface
2. Bringing back pull to refresh, the refresh button in the action bar will stay too however.
3. An option to turn off iconic tabs and display text instead
4. Improved direct message composition interface
5. Improved list position save support when going in and out of timeline screen (e.g., to the tweet viewer and back). This doesn’t include killing and app and coming back, for now.
6. Bug fixes and other UI improvements

Carbon being the WebOS Twitter client? They porting that over?
Yep http://youtu.be/BcloiEZa1iI

Hylian7

Okay, is there any free screenshot app out there that works well? ShootMe is not on the store anymore. My phone is rooted if it matters.

I'm also considering dropping the money on Tasker, is it worth it?

Top Bottom