• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

JoeFu

Banned
Everybody needs to photobomb whoever is in charge of the Facebook Android app with those images. Maybe that will lead to something.

Piano

Banned
Looks great but with the programmers they've got working at Facebook it'd probably still be extremely slow and suck tons of battery.

SimleuqiR

Looks great but with the programmers they've got working at Facebook it'd probably still be extremely slow and suck tons of battery.

I'm no coder/programmer but this will never happen because, as far as I can tell, the Android Facebook app is mostly just a wrapper for the mobile site...no? Correct me if I'm wrong. They look identical.

So they are not going spend their time making Android's user experience more cohesive.

JonnyBrad

I'm no coder/programmer but this will never happen because, as far as I can tell, the Android Facebook app is mostly just a wrapper for the mobile site...no? Correct me if I'm wrong. They look identical.

So they are not going spend their time making Android's user experience more cohesive.

Yep with the added ability to turn on your GPS on and grind your phone to a halt doing god knows what polling all the time in the background.

The facebook app is terrible!

Socreges

Banned
What do you guys recommend for a tablet word processor? What's the best app that would allow me to create/edit .doc/.docx files?

beje

Banned

I hate when apps do this. It usually becomes a clusterfuck with the "Back" button (that takes you to the previous "page" you were in instead of the top tier page) and the app is generally a sluggy mess that relies too much on loads and loads of javascript. This stuff is always an auto-uninstall for me.

By the way, does anyone know a MIUI-style launcher? The only one I've managed to find is Tencent Launcher (or something like that) that is completely in Chinese and doesn't really run as good as expected...

Edit: nevermind, found one based on Tencent in XDA and I guess the iPhone style with all my shit staying around is not my thing.

Mafro

Goddamn that Facebook ICS mock-up looks fantastic. I'm sick of so many Android apps just being carbon copies of Apple ones ('sup, Instagram?)

mdphilli

What do you guys recommend for a tablet word processor? What's the best app that would allow me to create/edit .doc/.docx files?

What tablet do you have? Honestly...I'm on the Transformer Prime (with dock) and I use Google Docs with Chrome exclusively. None of the other apps I have tried touch it (Docs to Go, Quick Office, Polaris, OfficeSuite).

I dislike things about each of them. But I probably use OfficeSuite the most when I'm not connected to the Internet. Polaris would be a close second. But honestly I haven't used them all extensively enough to really make a fair judgement.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I would but

- I don't wanna step on the designer's toes
- Someone's already probably doing it
- My Java/Android is rusty, probably moreso with all the new ICS APIs and design language.

Anyone try the new SwiftKey beta? Really impressive prediction tech.

vip.swiftkey.net/

<3 SwiftKey

myJ8X.jpg

nuff said.

does the stock email app have pinch to zoom or is that just a feature of 3rd party mods?

beje

Banned

Strange, it doesn't list "cloud-to-device" permissions. Sure it's actual push? Or is it polling every minute like the official Hotmail app to fake it?

Edit: just tested, mentions and DM don't arrive in real time even though I've configured background updates. Rolling back to the official app. Seriously, is it THAT difficult? o_O

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Strange, it doesn't list "cloud-to-device" permissions. Sure it's actual push? Or is it polling every minute like the official Hotmail app to fake it?

Edit: just tested, mentions and DM don't arrive in real time even though I've configured background updates. Rolling back to the official app. Seriously, is it THAT difficult? o_O
Might be an api issue.

Socreges

Banned
What tablet do you have? Honestly...I'm on the Transformer Prime (with dock) and I use Google Docs with Chrome exclusively. None of the other apps I have tried touch it (Docs to Go, Quick Office, Polaris, OfficeSuite).

I dislike things about each of them. But I probably use OfficeSuite the most when I'm not connected to the Internet. Polaris would be a close second. But honestly I haven't used them all extensively enough to really make a fair judgement.
Girlfriend has the Transformer. She said that Google Docs doesn't work with .doc/.docx, but she must be doing something wrong.

beje

Banned
Might be an api issue.

Well, wouldn't be a really bad issue if it hadn't a massive bug: when replying to a DM, if you tilt the phone to landscape, it automatically switches to regular tweet without any kind of warning. Really horrible taking into account I'm using a qwerty-keyboard phone.

moojito

So now South Koreans can watch people playing starcraft 2 on the bus!

That screenshot of sc2 makes me want better strategy games on android :<

Mafro

Looks like I'll be downloading Friendcaster Pro then, I've had it with the official Facebook app. Shame Friendcaster doesn't seem to have push notifications for comments and wall posts.

gcubed

Friendcaster pro... take my money. So much nicer then the official app.

Does the contact sync sync with the people app ?

For secruity i like Cerberus if only for the fact it emails some amusing photos when i get my password wrong on my s2. Unfortunately its a feature that doesn't seem to function on my sony tablet (although i get my password right more often on that)

Music apps : Audiogalaxy is great for streaming everything off my home pc to my phone.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
For secruity i like Cerberus if only for the fact it emails some amusing photos when i get my password wrong on my s2. Unfortunately its a feature that doesn't seem to function on my sony tablet (although i get my password right more often on that)

Music apps : Audiogalaxy is great for streaming everything off my home pc to my phone.

Man audiogalaxy is a legitimate thing now? Last time I heard of it, it was another one of those mp3 pirating tools people used in the early 2000s.

Man audiogalaxy is a legitimate thing now? Last time I heard of it, it was another one of those mp3 pirating tools people used in the early 2000s.

I think it just shares the name. It does bring back fond memories

I'll just add mizuu for an xbmc style front end/wigets for your movies while im here

mdphilli

Girlfriend has the Transformer. She said that Google Docs doesn't work with .doc/.docx, but she must be doing something wrong.

Ehhh...I take that back. Upon further inspection...I can't edit .doc files in Chrome. I can view them just fine...But the only documents I am able to edit (in desktop view) are native Google Docs.

There's always the option of uploading and having Google convert it...But I know a lot of people are underwhelmed by any complex document conversion (tables specifically). Plus that might be a hassle for most. Honestly though...I'm not sure the office application alternatives render the documents all that much better.

Sorry about that.

Artifice

Neo Member
Don't know if such an app exists, but is there a world clock that not only lists the time in cities around the world of my choosing, but also automatically adjusts for daylight savings (both at the home location and other cities in the world, which can have differing daylight savings start and end dates)?

I guess an app that pulls time data from some government timekeeping agency (similar to how some weather forecast apps do it)would probably do the trick?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ohhhhhhh goooossshhhhhh Tasks is the best thing ever. And yes it does have a resizable widget, and it's pretty much a copy of Gmail's. So awesome.

Top Bottom