• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just tried Boid out and it has a lot of potential considering it's only in Alpha. Hmmm... I feel like making a Twitter app now that has the ICS look

I'll see what happens.

There is no definitive Twitter app for Android. If you can do what Tweetbot did for iOS, you can be a great success. If I knew how to program, I'd do it. It's a massive hole that needs to be filled.

_Isaac

There is no definitive Twitter app for Android. If you can do what Tweetbot did for iOS, you can be a great success. If I knew how to program, I'd do it. It's a massive hole that needs to be filled.

What does Tweetbot do better? I keep hearing about it, but what makes it so great?

kehs

Banned
ICS Browser+ just got an update. They added a third control ring.....so not needed. They also added gestures, the problem is there is no feedback about yhe gesture motion, so bad.

Android Devs™

JCX

I use the official Twitter app for my phone and Tweetcaster for my transformer. Both seem fine to me.

reKon

Banned
Add DataSync to the OT please: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quintstoffers.DataSync

This app allows you to wirelessly sync data between your Android devices in a clean and simple interface. It works very well for your game save data as it uses Dropbox to save your data in the cloud. You can play a game on one device, save your progress to the cloud, and then access that data if you switch to your other device so that you can finish where you left off.

You guys who own android tablets and phones should give this a try. I haven't found anything that works as well as this.

Also: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wps.moffice_eng

This is a free office app that's probably better than Office2Go Free because it's so limited on that version.

Mafro

Boid has just been updated again. The new tweet composer is great (keyboard pops up straight away) and it now has picture upload and location support. Funky new icon, too.

Loving this app so far, the dark theme fits so well with stock ICS.

Sky Chief

NCAA March Madness On Demand is so shit, when you try to watch a game it redirects you to the Flash stream through your browser, plays a commercial, and then you get a black screen. Great

kehs

Banned

Ended up using App Lock since Seal had a bunch of review about it not working with ICS properly, but thanks.

---

I'm liking pulses new direction with their appearance. It's become less "closed in".

----

I just got around to messing with the Ted app on my tablet. This thing is slick, and I'm digging their layout flow, even on "hideous" portrait. Plus downloadable videos!

FoxFi - WiFi/Bluetooth tethering without root access! Seriously!

Enables WiFi or Bluetooth Hotspot on your Android phone without a Hotspot plan from your carrier. No rooting required! Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung phones and Motorola phones. WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Triumph, Samsung Admire or any HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead.

a friend of mine mentioned this app to me and i was amazed to see that it exists and works.

kehs

Banned
Google Voice finally updated with voicemail control from within the call log for ICS. Just....6-8 months to implement.

The team responsible for the UI in Voice needs to be replaces....it's all over the place.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It isn't the prettiest app but it's still hugely useful. No text plan for me! >:)

I would love if Google Reader got an update that stopped it from crashing all the time, of Google's apps that's the biggest one I want updated right now.

Ocho

It isn't the prettiest app but it's still hugely useful. No text plan for me! >:)

I would love if Google Reader got an update that stopped it from crashing all the time, of Google's apps that's the biggest one I want updated right now.

Try gReader Pro (or the free version, of course). Works really great.

Hylian7

I just got my first Android phone about a week ago (LG Optimus Slider on Virgin Mobile), and I'm curious if I'm alone on this opinion: The Facebook app sucks BALLS. It's slow, it's clunky, and doing anything takes forever and a day, no matter how good of a connection you have. Is this just my phone or is this the case all around? Every other app seems fine.

zbeeb

I just got my first Android phone about a week ago (LG Optimus Slider on Virgin Mobile), and I'm curious if I'm alone on this opinion: The Facebook app sucks BALLS. It's slow, it's clunky, and doing anything takes forever and a day, no matter how good of a connection you have. Is this just my phone or is this the case all around? Every other app seems fine.

this isn't just you. The facebook app is terrible. It used to be near useless and every update has made it that little bit more competent, but its so far off the mark you may aswell use the mobile site.

JCX

I used evernote for a while then I realized I just write for my own blog so I switched to the wordpress app.

I second using evernote. It's nice to be able to add ideas to the cloud from my laptop, phone, or tablet.

yogloo

Why do you say that? I have it, but I want to hear in your words what makes it so wonderful.

The amount of customability is amazing. Plus you can set is as system tool so that a phone reset can't kill the service.
Taking pictures of whoever tried to unlock the phone is also great. So many things to gush about it. Authorized simcards is another one.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Any recommendations for managing apps? My phone is near full (getting warnings) and going through the apps on the program from the phone takes forever to delete stuff or load how much space the app is using.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I just got a transformer prime! Loving it so far!

Few things -

Trying out the mysms tablet beta (it connects to my phone number through magic and lets me text through my tablet, hello keyboard texting!)

Any particular apps you guys recommend? Specifically for connecting via DLNA - free preferably, but I'll swallow a paid app if it's good.

kehs

Banned
I just got a transformer prime! Loving it so far!

Few things -

Trying out the mysms tablet beta (it connects to my phone number through magic and lets me text through my tablet, hello keyboard texting!)

Any particular apps you guys recommend? Specifically for connecting via DLNA - free preferably, but I'll swallow a paid app if it's good.

You should have an app called "MyNet" installed, it supports DLNA.

tino

Banned
Any recommendations for managing apps? My phone is near full (getting warnings) and going through the apps on the program from the phone takes forever to delete stuff or load how much space the app is using.
I use Titanium Backup to move the apps to SD card. I also detach the less important ones from the market so they wouldn't get updates and install themselves back to memory.

Titanium is also very useful to convert a system app into a user app so you can either uninstall it or move it to sd card.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm almost ready to uninstall the Amazon App Store. Got the recent update, but it still ignores the fact that I don't want notifications.

Anyone know why?

tino

Banned
I'm almost ready to uninstall the Amazon App Store. Got the recent update, but it still ignores the fact that I don't want notifications.

Anyone know why?
Just uninstall it. All it does is bug you with pointless stuff everyday.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Anyone know why?

We all used to use it but no one in their right mind does anymore. Just uninstall it.

Top Bottom