• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

TommyT

Holy... So I'm watching Twitch.tv through Streamie over wifi while plugged into my work PC for charging and it won't charge. The drain is literally the same as the charge rate. WTF?!

FinKL

It's definitely possible.

I've streamed something from Justin.tv over 3G and connected my G2x to my TV via HDMI to mirror whats on my phone. Charging it too, I lost % as time went on.

Hotspot is also definitely guilty of this also.

ScOULaris

Just downloaded the new version of Swype and very nice. It seems it doesn't bug out when trying to quote posts here on GAF anymore.
Yeah, one of the best things about the Play Store realise of Swype is that it finally works properly in the stock browser. I just typed up this post in seconds!

Groof

What's a good workout planner app? I've been using Fitocracy because hey, who doesn't like leveling up, until my friend recommended me Jefit. Seemed great and like a good complement to my workout, until I noticed a simple task like copy & paste was a premium feature which put me off of it a bit. Slimey.
So what other good options are there?

kmfdmpig

Is there a good VOIP app that would let me call and receive calls to anyone internationally (preferably free although with a small charge would be fine) without them having to have the same app?

Does Google Voice allow that if I am calling from Japan? I've seen conflicting information on that?
How about Skype?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there a good VOIP app that would let me call and receive calls to anyone internationally (preferably free although with a small charge would be fine) without them having to have the same app?

Does Google Voice allow that if I am calling from Japan? I've seen conflicting information on that?
How about Skype?

Try GrooVeIP.

ScOULaris

What's a good workout planner app? I've been using Fitocracy because hey, who doesn't like leveling up, until my friend recommended me Jefit. Seemed great and like a good complement to my workout, until I noticed a simple task like copy & paste was a premium feature which put me off of it a bit. Slimey.
So what other good options are there?
Search for Fitnotes on the Play Store. It's new, but beautiful, simple, and free! I use it all the time at the gym.

Groof

Search for Fitnotes on the Play Store. It's new, but beautiful, simple, and free! I use it all the time at the gym.

Damn, that looks amazing, albeit a bit too barebones... Thanks for that!
I created two routines however, is there any way to assign them to specific days on the calendar?

Wow, I changed my old Defy+ for a Razr HD, my God what a difference! The battery lasts MUCH more, and the phone is awesome. :)

I just bought NFS:MW and it looks incredible, and is very fun to play too. Can you guys recommend me other good games?

You keep pumping these out man. I was wondering; is the ad revenue worth it? CTR is so small for me :(

Honestly I just started using ads last year so still unsure of what to expect throughout the year. I hear it can be low during certain months but I'm still unclear of exactly when this is or what to expect. Late last year though was DEFINITELY a lot higher than anything this year for me so far.

PaulLFC

I know sony music unlimited does...but you have to pay for that.
Don't you have to pay for Spotify on phones too?

I'm using Music Unlimited because I got the £12 for a year deal from PS+ a while ago, but the Android app is absolute garbage. It's slow, it's ugly and it crashes/times out a lot as well.

The PS3 and Vita apps are great, though.

ScOULaris

Damn, that looks amazing, albeit a bit too barebones... Thanks for that!
I created two routines however, is there any way to assign them to specific days on the calendar?
Scheduling, notes, and progress graphs are coming eventually. It's still a very new app.

Hey guys, is there a way to sync across files (even manually is fine) with full compatibility on Pocket Casts? I download on my nexus7 and want the files on my phone (htc desire hd)/

No, i mean to move across my downloaded podcasts to my phone from my tablet, with pocket casts being aware I've done it. Sorry if i wasn't clear :)

I don't think any app does that. Why don't you just setup your phone to auto download the podcasts you want to listen to and then delete them if you've already listened to them on your tablet instead? I have it set up to download them on Wi-Fi only at 5am whilst on charge so it won't affect my battery life or data plan. Or do you have storage issues?

Blackhead

Redarse
A couple Android apps I've recently paid for:

Glovebox: I've finally retired wave launcher which hasn't been updated in years. Like wave launcher, I use Glovebox for mainly widgets (and recent apps)
RoundR: makes the onscreen Android back, home, search buttons a little less distracting. Also I miss webOS.
Changelog Droid: I wish the Play store offered this. Useful even if you don't allow automatic app updates and indispensable if you do.
Kaiten mail: Finally, an android email app that passes the threshold of a basic Holo design. I'm using it for non-gmail accounts but would be very receptive to a proper unified inbox app on Android.
KeepScreen (free): Recommended by XDA. Tried it for a bit but ultimately stuck with StayAwake. I'm not happy with either app and still looking for a replacement.

I've updated days until app...now has tags for easy sorting/grouping

aC6_Vrxq-NkG0qyaTcbtxLw19xHmLDLI9tn9a167aUAZMlhCMfSiVFByox6cQ-r2JQw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...9tLmZsdWZmeWRlbHVzaW9ucy5hcHAuZGF5c3VudGlsIl0.

Is there a podcast app that will do the following:

1) Download new podcasts at a specified time
2) Auto delete after they've been played
3) Download them to a specified location

Pocket Casts doesn't seem to meet that criteria. Is there something else out there that does?

Dashclock issues.

I'm having a problem with Dash Clock lockscreen widget. I won't stay on the main lockscreen, I always have to swipe to the left to get to it.

Does anyone know of a fix for this, or another notification lockscreen widget?

kaskade

Is there a podcast app that will do the following:

1) Download new podcasts at a specified time
2) Auto delete after they've been played
3) Download them to a specified location

Pocket Casts doesn't seem to meet that criteria. Is there something else out there that does?

Under settings:

1) Episodes updates>check for new episodes (whatever time you want)
2)Storage>auto delete played files
3)Storage>store podcasts on (Phone, SD Card, Custom folder).

freshair

Dashclock issues.

I'm having a problem with Dash Clock lockscreen widget. I won't stay on the main lockscreen, I always have to swipe to the left to get to it.

Does anyone know of a fix for this, or another notification lockscreen widget?

You can adjust which widget is your "main one". Swipe to the left to get to dashclock and press/hold that screen and drag to the right.

Under settings:

1) Episodes updates>check for new episodes (whatever time you want)
2)Storage>auto delete played files
3)Storage>store podcasts on (Phone, SD Card, Custom folder).

Pocket Casts does the first two, but if you do #3, it creates its own directory structure which makes it not work. So #3 kills it and makes Pocket Casts not viable.

Where does Pocketcast dowload its shit from, i. e. server locations? I'm getting absolutely the shittiest speeds on Comcast - 1MB in 12 seconds for small files, 1MB in 30 seconds for larger ones. It's absolutely impossible to download any Group Therapy for long car trips.

hom3land

Where does Pocketcast dowload its shit from, i. e. server locations? I'm getting absolutely the shittiest speeds on Comcast - 1MB in 12 seconds for small files, 1MB in 30 seconds for larger ones. It's absolutely impossible to download any Group Therapy for long car trips.

Might be on your end. Just downloaded group therapy radio #025 110MB in about a minute.

Blackhead

Redarse
Might be on your end. Just downloaded group therapy radio #025 110MB in about a minute.

It varies by podcast. I assumed it was the original source that was slow but I'm downloading much faster when accessing directly. I had no clue Pocketcasts was storing the media files on their servers; doesn't make sense if true.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
It varies by podcast. I assumed it was the original source that was slow but I'm downloading much faster when accessing directly. I had no clue Pocketcasts was storing the media files on their servers; doesn't make sense if true.
They only check for updates on their servers, you still download straight from the source.

MNC

I use PodKicker for a free podcast listener. I don't know if it's good compared to others, but it just works. Great download speeds.

HildyB

Couple purchases I've been happy with:

DoggCatcher Podcast Player - I was ok with it before the recent update, but the latest update has been great with a slightly refreshed UI and it is better on resuming play when I get into my car and BT is reestablished. Widget UI is nicer now as well. Works well with Ford Sync for basic functions on the steering wheel.

SwiftKey Keyboard - Used to switch between this and Swype beta, but since they added Flow, I've seen no reason to go back. The predictive text library is fantastic. So finger pecking and swipe gestures both work great.

I'm setting up some tasker profiles now and am wondering this:

If I set up so that when I plug in headphones, it disables silent mode (so I can hear notifications/ringing through headphone)--is there a way to revert back when I unplug the headphones? I don't want to necessarily go into silent mode, I just want it to be where-ever it WAS.

This is convoluted, so:

Phone is silent. I plug in headphones, Tasker turns phone to non-silent AND REMEMBERS WHAT MODE PHONE WAS IN. I unplug headphones, Tasker then recalls the mode the phone was in, and reverts it back to that (whether it was silent, loud, vibrate, etc.).

Thoughts? Not a deal breaker if it can't be done. I just don't like the thought of my phone going to silent every time I unplug my headphones.

jokkir

I'm setting up some tasker profiles now and am wondering this:

If I set up so that when I plug in headphones, it disables silent mode (so I can hear notifications/ringing through headphone)--is there a way to revert back when I unplug the headphones? I don't want to necessarily go into silent mode, I just want it to be where-ever it WAS.

This is convoluted, so:

Phone is silent. I plug in headphones, Tasker turns phone to non-silent AND REMEMBERS WHAT MODE PHONE WAS IN. I unplug headphones, Tasker then recalls the mode the phone was in, and reverts it back to that (whether it was silent, loud, vibrate, etc.).

Thoughts? Not a deal breaker if it can't be done. I just don't like the thought of my phone going to silent every time I unplug my headphones.

Haven't tested it yet but how about trying to set the volume to variables and then silent it. And then make an exit task where it resets the volume to the variables declared earlier.

Oops didn't see your second paragraph. You can still use variables think to make it remember or make it know what mode it was on. Like, If this variable was set to 1, use that profile when the headphone is unplugged.

Haven't tested it yet but how about trying to set the volume to variables and then silent it. And then make an exit task where it resets the volume to the variables declared earlier.

Oops didn't see your second paragraph. You can still use variables think to make it remember or make it know what mode it was on. Like, If this variable was set to 1, use that profile when the headphone is unplugged.

Thanks! I was actually trying it with variables after I posted and thought I had a good one:

Headphones plugged in:
1. Set a variable to "Yes"
-if phone is CURRENTLY in Silent Volume Mode.

2. Set phone to "Normal Volume Mode"

On exit:
1. Set phone to Silent Volume Mode.
-if the variable is "Yes"

But it isn't working...

Top Bottom