• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

<3 Greenify

BqcQTLAl.png

VanWinkle

I can't help but think faceless makes his font comic sans just to mess with us. Nobody would seriously use comic sans as the system font on their nice smartphone...

Right?

Here's my experience on a Nexus 4:

GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC:
Notifications dim music and play over it. However, MULTIPLE facebook messenger notifications (no idea if this applies to other apps) that come through at the same time will PERMANENTLY dim the music until the next track or a pause/play.

POCKET CASTS:
Whatsapp notfications will play over podcasts in full volume. Facebook Messenger notifications will PAUSE the podcast momentarily and play the notification. If multiple notifications come through at the same time, the podcast becomes completely paused and you have to press the play button to resume it again.

Android's audio notifications are pure shit.

Yep. Only thing I miss about having an iPhone

Does anyone know of a minimal widget that can be used with Google Play Music? I've been using Shuttle for awhile, but now that Google Play Music has been updated substantially I'd like to move back to that. The only problem is that I really like the widget for Shuttle, pictured below.

GqOCa9b.png

Does anyone know of something that looks like this or is heavily customizable that also works with Google Play Music? It's so much more convenient to just hit play on my home screen than to have to boot up the app just so that I can resume where I left off.

This is probably a dumb question, but how did you get all those icons? I love the flat theme, but my S3 is just running TouchWiz. Do they come with alternate launchers?

This is probably a dumb question, but how did you get all those icons? I love the flat theme, but my S3 is just running TouchWiz. Do they come with alternate launchers?

There are many alternate launchers available on the play store (apex, Go launcher, ADW, Nova). Download one and have a mess about. You can always revert back if its not to your liking :)
Also take a peep in this thread. Theres also great stuff on http://mycolorscreen.com/

There are many alternate launchers available on the play store (apex, Go launcher, ADW, Nova). Download one and have a mess about. You can always revert back if its not to your liking :)
Also take a peep in this thread. Theres also great stuff on http://mycolorscreen.com/

Sorry, I should have clarified my question a bit more. I meant to ask if these icons come with alternate launchers? Or do I have to download a new launcher and then download a new icon set separately?

I've only messed around with Nova for a few minutes, so I'm not too familiar with anything except TouchWiz.

Sorry, I should have clarified my question a bit more. I meant to ask if these icons come with alternate launchers? Or do I have to download a new launcher and then download a new icon set separately?

I've only messed around with Nova for a few minutes, so I'm not too familiar with anything except TouchWiz.

separately.

launcher

and

icon pack

Ah sorry..

separately.

launcher

and

icon pack

Yeah it should be in Nova launcher's settings somewhere... Look and feel then Icon theme, if i remember correctly, then you can choose an installed icon pack.

Wow, that looks atrocious. Who Comic Sans'd your phone to hell and back? You should kick his ass.

I remember reading about some app which had a fully functional free trial version but it would change the font of the app to comic sans after a week and would remain that way until you bought it.

That is the best incentive to upgrade to the pro version ever devised.

HildyB

I remember reading about some app which had a fully functional free trial version but it would change the font of the app to comic sans after a week and would remain that way until you bought it.

Seconded, that is a great case of using poor design to your advantage. I bet he increased his upgrade rate by 20-30% with that method vs disabling functions.

Ragus

Banned
Guys, I need your help. I want to have a text-based battery level and current date on my home screen. I'm now using Minimalistic Text and it does it's job quite well, but I don't like the fact, that the text is quite blurry (even at the size of 10).

Are there any alternatives? I'm on Note 2.

Oyashiro

Anyone know a good alternative to Fitocracy? I really couldn't care less about all the social options. I just need something to keep track of my workouts with a good interface. I also like that fitocracy lets me load up how much I lifted the last time I worked out, but I just hate that it always takes forever and it often won't load up my last workout but instead loads up the one before that.

3phemeral

Anyone know a good alternative to Fitocracy? I really couldn't care less about all the social options. I just need something to keep track of my workouts with a good interface. I also like that fitocracy lets me load up how much I lifted the last time I worked out, but I just hate that it always takes forever and it often won't load up my last workout but instead loads up the one before that.

I've used JefitPro for while now. I haven't used any alternatives so I don't know how it compares to Fitocracy, but it works well enough for me that I haven't ventured elsewhere.

i don't think that would be very effective

So Opera Mobile updated to the WebKit version. The change log doesn't yet reflect that (I wouldn't have updated if I knew this was the WebKit version) but it isn't as horrible as I imagined.

It still does this, though:

All the WebKit browsers on mobile do this, and I have zero idea why.

Also, the tab switcher is better than Chrome's but worse than original Opera Mobile:

(the tab images didn't load because I just started the browser.)

I am not happy with it overall, but I'll try to adjust, I guess. It was really annoying typing this post, though...

So Opera Mobile updated to the WebKit version. The change log doesn't yet reflect that (I wouldn't have updated if I knew this was the WebKit version) but it isn't as horrible as I imagined.

It still does this, though:

All the WebKit browsers on mobile do this, and I have zero idea why.

Also, the tab switcher is better than Chrome's but worse than original Opera Mobile:

(the tab images didn't load because I just started the browser.)

I am not happy with it overall, but I'll try to adjust, I guess. It was really annoying typing this post, though...

I really hate the new tab switcher. The app is much slower overall too.

I really hate the new tab switcher. The app is much slower overall too.

Yeah, Opera really had the best tab switcher.

I noticed it was slower, too, but mostly with text input and website prediction. The rest of it runs OK for me. If it gets too annoying, I think I'll just revert to the old version for some time.

VoxPop

So is there a way via apps to make notifications better on Android? Stuff like LockerPro is mediocre and TeslaUnread just blows.. iOS' use of badges and lockscreen notifications seem far superior imo and its annoying to keep track of everything on my One since I get a lot of work stuff.

So is there a way via apps to make notifications better on Android? Stuff like LockerPro is mediocre and TeslaUnread just blows.. iOS' use of badges and lockscreen notifications seem far superior imo and its annoying to keep track of everything on my One since I get a lot of work stuff.

Just coming from iOS, I've been tinkering non-stop with notifications and lockscreen info. Apple made it very very easy on us.

Well, I have NiLS and SMS Popup taking care of everything for me. NiLS allows you to disable certain notifications which is nice. And I have SMS Popup set to not popup on screen, just show on lockscreen and in task bar.

This is the best combo I have found that gives me notifications most similair to iOS

VoxPop

Just coming from iOS, I've been tinkering non-stop with notifications and lockscreen info. Apple made it very very easy on us.

Well, I have NiLS and SMS Popup taking care of everything for me. NiLS allows you to disable certain notifications which is nice. And I have SMS Popup set to not popup on screen, just show on lockscreen and in task bar.

This is the best combo I have found that gives me notifications most similair to iOS

Thanks for that! I'll check those out

Groof

Just wanted to mention that if you don't have any screen lock you can pull down notification shade without unlocking the device. Don't know if that would solve anything for you, but just throwing that out there.

deim0s

I only use Greenify to hibernate the apps that can drain battery or slow down the system.

PS: damn your avatar, one the best videos ever made

Trying out Greenify for a week or two and uninstalled setcpu. I even joined the beta thing - do they have a list of system apps that can safely be hibernated?

Re avatar... Yep, best thing evah!

VoxPop

Just wanted to mention that if you don't have any screen lock you can pull down notification shade without unlocking the device. Don't know if that would solve anything for you, but just throwing that out there.

Yup know that :p

Just like having clean, at a glance information when I need it. Just readjusting I guess.

I need a browser that doesn't crash (my firefox does) and plays gifs in e.g. funny pictures thread properly (my chrome doesn't) - any suggestions or do I have to try out every option? :)

Linius

I need a browser that doesn't crash (my firefox does) and plays gifs in e.g. funny pictures thread properly (my chrome doesn't) - any suggestions or do I have to try out every option? :)

Strange, I don't have any trouble playing gifs in Chrome on my phone (with wifi that is). The funny thing is that mobile chrome sometimes handles gifs better than chrome on my laptop :p

moojito

Chrome is awesome. I opened up a bunch of tabs on gaf, then had the call of nature. Went to the porcelain throne, got the phone out and carried on looking at the tabs I had opened on chrome mobile. We are living in the future!

Linius

Chrome is awesome. I opened up a bunch of tabs on gaf, then had the call of nature. Went to the porcelain throne, got the phone out and carried on looking at the tabs I had opened on chrome mobile. We are living in the future!

It's great and sad at the same time. It's almost like we depend on the internet. Taking a shit; need my internet :p

Top Bottom