• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

vdlow

Didn't see it in the OP links, best tracking / remote wipe app for my DNA?

I use Cerberus, was lucky to get it on an celebration where the devs were giving free signatures forever, but a lifetime license costs 4 dollars or so, it's totally worth it. And there're free options like Avast, Seekdroid Lite and Android Lost.

bob page

What's the battery hit like?

I've never noticed any battery drop. It uses the cached location history to check location, unless you're running in monitor mode (which you manually activate if it's stolen- this will probably drain battery). But in normal use, battery life is unchanged.

kaskade

Yeah, cerberus is great. Peace of mind is great. If your device is rooted you can install it right in the rom. So AFAIK it can't be uninstalled even with a device format. It's listed as System Framework too so unless the person really knows what they are doing it's pretty much impossible for them to disable it minus never using the phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cool, thanks. Installed it. I've avoided these apps for fear of battery drain but if it's negligible, bought!

I wondered why shortcuts were auto added to my home screen. I double checked the Play Store option. Unchecked. It's fucking Nova. Damn, why is that enabled by default?

yyzjohn

Banned
I've never noticed any battery drop. It uses the cached location history to check location, unless you're running in monitor mode (which you manually activate if it's stolen- this will probably drain battery). But in normal use, battery life is unchanged.

Yeah I've never seen Cerebus in the battery stats at all.

Cool, thanks. Installed it. I've avoided these apps for fear of battery drain but if it's negligible, bought!

I wondered why shortcuts were auto added to my home screen. I double checked the Play Store option. Unchecked. It's fucking Nova. Damn, why is that enabled by default?

a recent update turned that on for some reason. it had me puzzled for a bit too!

Alucrid

Banned
I use Cerberus, was lucky to get it on an celebration where the devs were giving free signatures forever, but a lifetime license costs 4 dollars or so, it's totally worth it. And there're free options like Avast, Seekdroid Lite and Android Lost.

I'm using Avast.

Probably Cerberus.

Another vote for cerberus here. Awesome app.

Thanks, I'll check these out. I'd totally be willing to pay $4 for the functionality anyways.

I need some help guys.

On my S4, when I view an image in the Gallery I can't get the rest of the album images on the bottom to disappear.

On my gf's phone you just tap the picture you are looking at and it shows full screen. Thats not doing that on my phone. It did at one time.

Does anyone know what I could have done to break this?

... or as a backup plan is there any other Gallery app that I can download that is a good replacement for the stock gallery. Because this is really annoying.

^^^

Clarify if you're using 'stock' (i.e. Google's gallery app) or the Touchwiz Gallery?
And post a screenshot.

I believe this is the Touchwiz Gallery. Whats the stock gallery called?

Those images on the bottom will not go away. Not after 5 seconds. Not after I tap the main photo.

lD7upVx.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times before, but what are the best music-making apps for Android?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Another question:

Google Drive is getting on my goddamn nerves. I have an Excel spreadsheet I use for budgeting and update it frequently, and because I can't edit it on my phone and can't access the Google Drive site at work, I end up uploading it from and downloading it to my phone via email and back into Google Drive. I used to do that with Dropbox no problem, but Google Drive has this nasty habit of NOT overwriting the old file and instead creating a duplicate with the same fucking name. Is there any way to make it just overwrite the old file? After some googling it looks like this has been an issue for a while that Google has neglected to address.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is Chrome or Chrome beta still causing the Nexus 4 to overheat ? I'm afraid to run it now I've been using AOSP browser for a few weeks now after Chrome made my Nexus hot to the touch.

reKon

Banned
+1 feedly. That has been the only reader that has been consistent in performance for me as it actually doesn't take forever to load when on 3G/4G

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any consensus on what the best RSS feed app is for Android devices? Particularly cell phones?

If you have any taste, it's Press. Feedly is for the heathens.

Socreges

Banned
Press is the best. The feedly plebs are in the nile.
Does Press have some method of marking articles as read other than doing it one at a time? That's the biggest flaw of Reeder.

I like how on the desktop Google Reader will mark them as you scroll by. Feedly does it on a per page basis.

Bboy AJ

Does Press have some method of marking articles as read other than doing it one at a time? That's the biggest flaw of Reeder.

I like how on the desktop Google Reader will mark them as you scroll by. Feedly does it on a per page basis.

There's a mark all as read button but no scroll mark as read. There's also a mark above as read and mark below as read.

yogloo

I love the concept of these keyboards but it sucks because I can't use any of them including swype or swiftkey.
I usually type in a mix of 3 languanges and it is annoying to change the language option all the time.

PriitV

I love the concept of these keyboards but it sucks because I can't use any of them including swype or swiftkey.
I usually type in a mix of 3 languanges and it is annoying to change the language option all the time.

Swiftkey is so far the best for me, it can handle 2 at the same time.

Groof

The worst thing about most 3rd party keyboards are that their East Asian language support is absolute shit.

Angst

Swiftkey is so far the best for me, it can handle 2 at the same time.

Swiftkey can handle three languages at the same time. You don't even have to specify what language you're typing in.

Twitter probably posted the blog as soon as they published it to the Play store. It can actually take an hour or two for an app to show up after publishing. And of course all the tech blogs caught on to it as well. I now have 10 stories about Vine in my feed and the app isn't even live yet.

Top Bottom