• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Oyashiro

Swype is better than SkiftKey if you use the swiping method to type. If you prefer to do it the old fashioned way, SwiftKey is far better.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Swype is better than SkiftKey if you use the swiping method to type. If you prefer to do it the old fashioned way, SwiftKey is far better.
Swiftkey is pretty good both ways. I like swype's pop up selection, but swiftkey flow works better for me in predicting what I want to type in either flow or regular typing.

Yeah I've never swiped to type in my life, and I'm too old and crotchety to change now.

You should give it a fair shot if you have a keyboard that supports it. It becomes so natural after a while that you'll never want to go back to punching individual letters to type.

Yeah I've never swiped to type in my life, and I'm too old and crotchety to change now.

I could never get into two thumb typing, but Swyping has been easy to pick up after just a month of usage over the last month. In fact going back to an iOS device makes me really miss how quick and easy it is.

Zajora

You should give it a fair shot if you have a keyboard that supports it. It becomes so natural after a while that you'll never want to go back to punching individual letters to type.

Especially if you're the kind of person who generally texts actual words. Sometimes Swype can be a bit irritating if I try to put in something I assume it'd recognize as a word but is actually too slangy for its dictionary. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem with swiftkey because you'd just have to finish the word on your own.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Especially if you're the kind of person who generally texts actual words. Sometimes Swype can be a bit irritating if I try to put in something I assume it'd recognize as a word but is actually too slangy for its dictionary. I'm assuming that wouldn't be a problem with swiftkey because you'd just have to finish the word on your own.

It is easy to add words to Swype's dictionary.

kaskade

I have no idea why but using the front facing camera with instagram on my S3 (CM10.1R5) crashes my phone. Like full on reboot. Weird.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OK, seriously, who at Google thinks no auto space after a comma is a good idea?

I have no idea why but using the front facing camera with instagram on my S3 (CM10.1R5) crashes my phone. Like full on reboot. Weird.

Using cm is enough reason for shit like that to happen.

Yeah, sounds like a CM issue.

reKon

Banned
Is there an that will allow me to control my HP Touchpad with my HTC One within Google Music. I want to be wirelessly be able to navigate Google Music (or at least switch tracks on a playlist) via HTC One while the HP Tocuhpad is hooked up to my speakers. Thanks.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm starting to love the official Twitter app quite a lot. I've actually uninstalled Falcon Pro which was my main twitter app.

yogloo

I am starting to get the hang of SwiftKey. The prediction capabilities is pretty awesome. Crazy how sometimes it almost feels like it can read your mind.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
New Press update with a UI change:
nexusae0_unnamed-310.png

Neat!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They need to incorporate a free syncing service.

I finally had to ditch Swiftkey. It was absolutely awful, at least compared to the stock Sense 5 keyboard. Constantly autocorrecting when it didn't need to be, adding a period after words are autocorrected if I hit space ONCE, correcting to awful words that are nothing like what I mistyped.

Went back to stock Sense 5 and it was a dream.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I finally had to ditch Swiftkey. It was absolutely awful, at least compared to the stock Sense 5 keyboard. Constantly autocorrecting when it didn't need to be, adding a period after words are autocorrected if I hit space ONCE, correcting to awful words that are nothing like what I mistyped.

Went back to stock Sense 5 and it was a dream.

Yeah, I prefer Swiftkey for actual typing, but am really not too fond of its word prediction and auto-correction. Not sure why I paid for it actually.

vdlow

I can't see myself using a smartphone/tablet without Swiftkey. I've been using it since the first week that I bought an Android device, and it just keeps getting better. #TeamSwiftkey

Laekon

I have all my music in iTunes in a lot of different formats. What's the best and/or cheapest player I can get for my Galaxy Nexus that should be able to play them? I guess the main issue are tracks I bought off iTunes years ago.

I have all my music in iTunes in a lot of different formats. What's the best and/or cheapest player I can get for my Galaxy Nexus that should be able to play them? I guess the main issue are tracks I bought off iTunes years ago.

if they're *really* old and still DRM protected, nothing will play them. you would have to either upgrade them to DRM free or burn a cd and re-rip.

Bearthgar

Banned
I liked swiping on Swype a little better than SwiftKey, but I've only just changed over, so I'm hoping the learning nature of SwiftKey improves that some

Kikarian

I can understand why people like swiftkey, but I personally didn't like it. For the reason already mentioned above. Auto correcting words when they didn't need to be.

vdlow

I can understand why people like swiftkey, but I personally didn't like it. For the reason already mentioned above. Auto correcting words when they didn't need to be.

Swiftkey is highly configurable, specially about when it should auto correct or not. Most of my friends that didn't like it because of auto corrections started to like it after spending some time to configure the app.

Oyashiro

SwiftKey seems to be either one extreme or another. Put me down in the love group. I don't know why it's not working for some of you, but I've tried several keyboards (stock GS3, Swype, stock 4.2, Thumb) and none of them work as well as SwiftKey for me. Autocorrections are always on point, it learns from my previous conversations as well as twitter, facebook, etc. I cant judge how well it is when it comes to swiping because I think swiping to write on a phone is stupid.

Bboy AJ

I stopped using Swiftkey. I use the Google Keyboard now. It was too slow. Not bad but not great. It's not as good at swiping as Swype. If I could take Swype's swiping, SK's word prediction, and Google's speed, I'd be a happy man.

FYI, download Google Keyboard. Go to settings, input, spell checker. Change it from AOSP to Google Keyboard spell checker. It's better.

Threi

notag
I stopped using Swiftkey. I use the Google Keyboard now. It was too slow. Not bad but not great. It's not as good at swiping as Swype. If I could take Swype's swiping, SK's word prediction, and Google's speed, I'd be a happy man.

Try out Kii. It isn't exactly the best of all worlds, but a good compromise. Its the only 3rd party keyboard i could stand for more than a week.

Bboy AJ

Try out Kii. It isn't exactly the best of all worlds, but a good compromise. Its the only 3rd party keyboard i could stand for more than a week.

I've tried that. IIRC, it didn't let me adjust hold for alternate symbol times. That killed it.

Goldrush

Currently using Google keyboard. On the phone, half the time I use the keyboard for password and username where prediction isn't very helpful. Swype and Swiftkey are horrible at accurate keypress.

Top Bottom